Is an amp required by bonaduce
Started on: 08-08-2015 10:59 AM
Replies: 44 (665 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 08-18-2015 03:10 PM
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2015 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

nope it isn't.. but they make a cable to plug into the 9 pin almost round kenwood and adapts to 3.5mm plug (what you are calling 1/8)

That only works on Kenwood stereos made before 2007 since they discontinued that feature around the time when the iPhone came out. And its not a 9 pin its a 13 pin connector for a CD changer

-Mitch
IP: Logged
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2015 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

ya an internal amp with no cap's to feed the needs in the peaks of the music signal will be better than an external amp with the proper cap's to follow the music signal demands..
you clearly have zero clue, or mistaken.. either way you're wrong..

The caps are not what makes the difference between some internal and external amps. Most, not all, internal amps use a IC amp where as most, again not all, external amps use transistors in pairs driven by a circuit if class A/B. Basically, most headunits use something like this:

That's an Integrated Circuit Amplifier. It's "mostly" all contained in one chip. You need a few external components to complete it's function but most of the operation happens in that chip.

On the other hand, external amplifiers that are class A/B use:

Basically, everything contained in the chip above built out in a larger circuit.

Class D is similar except if I remember correctly it doesn't use a NPN/PNP pair, rather a single NPN(?) array used to run the signal both up and down.

The difference is usually a greater amount of distortion from the IC Amp, which can approach 10% (at least it did back when I first got into car audio) , verses the A/B which usually runs well under .5%. Now, not all internal amps are of the IC style so some will be better than others. I have also opened up external amplifiers and found this:

The IC Amp used in an external amp. As you can see the vast majority of the components in a non IC Amp are missing in the IC Amp. An IC Amp has most of the circuitry and components for the amp contained in that single case. I'm sure the IC Amp has improved over the years just as other tech has so the distortion may be less now. Still, the internal amplifier is sufficient for a lot of people and given the goals of the OP...

Me, I prefer using external amplification because I can use crossovers to dedicate certain sound groups to certain speakers and an equalizer to contour the sound the way I like it. Of all the people I know though, the vast majority aren't like me and just use the internal amplifier of their headunit to run their speakers.

Oh and I don't care how big of a capacitor you put on that IC Amp, it's still not going to help it.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 08-17-2015).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2015 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Khw

11139 posts
Member since Jun 2008
Bah, I'll fix the images when I get home.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2015 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

Thats insulting. I'm a bestbuy installer. All bestbuy installers must be MECP certified to work on a vehicle. MECP (Mobile Electronics Certified Professional) certifications are not handed out you have to do quite a bit of research and gain real knowledge on circuits and electronics and such to get one.

-Mitch

ya ok, scoshe(sp) blue splice clips part of that "training"
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2015 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

That only works on Kenwood stereos made before 2007 since they discontinued that feature around the time when the iPhone came out. And its not a 9 pin its a 13 pin connector for a CD changer

-Mitch

as seen as the o/p deck has a cassette deck and changer chances are it's before 2007.. but thanks for try'n..
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock