Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Join me in my Fiero modernization and Transformation (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Join me in my Fiero modernization and Transformation by dkh1020
Started on: 05-27-2015 11:18 PM
Replies: 75 (3971 views)
Last post by: dkh1020 on 03-25-2017 09:09 PM
dkh1020

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greetings all,

I'm the proud owner of an all original 40k mile 1988 T Top GT. The car was a barn find and hadn't been driven in 20 years. It belonged to a fighter pilot in WWII. His Widow had held on to the car for years and finally decided to part with it. I wasn't particularly interested in the car but went to look at it anyway. One walk around and I said I'll take it. I put a new battery in it, turned the key and it fired right up after nearly 20 years. The car was an absolute cream puff. I had the car shipped to my home and immediately changed all the fluids, belts, lots of seals, rebuilt the AC and a laundry list of things to make the car road worthy again. The v-6 runs like a top and the interior still smells new.

I was never a fan of the Fiero, its dash or interior in general. So I decided to start a project to make my Fiero interior look updated and give the car some modern features. I plan to document the transformation of my Fiero here and share my experiences.

What's on the to do list?

An Amida dash (which I've had for some time now)
Hopefully some Amida Door panels
Mr. Mikes seats.
OnStar & concealed radar detector
Din Chassis Head Unit with backup Camera amp and subwoofer
Sub woofer kit from TLG Auto Group
All LED Lighting from TLG Auto Group (inside and out)
Viper alarm with one touch up down windows & remote window control
Column shield
Gas Struts for hood and hatch
Halogen headlamps with Halos
New Carpet, Headliner & visors
New OEM P-seals for the T-tops
Hypertech Performance chip
18" wheels and Tires
Front spoiler
Heated seats
Electric Power steering from West Coast Fiero
New Spin Tech cat back Exhaust
Rear Spoiler lowering kit from TLG auto group.
New MOMO steering Wheel
New Short throw shifter from Rodney Dickman.
New power door lock solenoids & Switches
New Power window switches, and remaining switch gear.
Refreshed and recovered door panels pending availability of Amida door panels.

On the maybe list:

Some Side scoops.

I'm sure I'm leaving something off the list but I will document my progress here as best I can. Have just got started by gutting the interior. Pics will follow soon.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PICS ???

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't see the auto dimming rear view mirror listed.
dkh1020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wanted that too, but the OnStar replaces the factory rear view. Can only do so much ........

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

I didn't see the auto dimming rear view mirror listed.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dkh1020:

Pics will follow soon.

Welcome to the forum. If you use Windows, post your images here with PIP and the images will never disappear from your thread.
dkh1020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, was trying to figure that out

Originally posted by Patrick:

Welcome to the forum. If you use Windows, post your images here with PIP and the images will never disappear from your thread.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, was trying to figure that out

You're welcome. Helpful info below as well...

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait a minute...there were no Fieros around in WW2!!!
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Knowing that the Corvette release was around the corner, they killed them off pre-production.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-28-2015 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

he was a ww2 vet that owned it..
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't waste your money on the Hypertech chip.
Your car will run better with the stock chip.
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that is one heck of a list of items! I am going to watch this thread, as I LOVE threads like this and seeing the progress. I do agree with others, you need to start with some before pictures for sure.

As the the PFF error you posted, the files have to reduced to under 300k (Under 200 is better as you do not have to click a thumbnail to open them here in the thread) and 1024 pixels wide or less.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 05-28-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

As the the PFF error you posted, the files have to reduced to under 300k (Under 200 is better as you do not have to click a thumbnail to open them here in the thread) and 1024 pixels wide or less.

John, the bolded part is incorrect as no posted image less than or equal to 300 kb will require a thumbnail. It's only when an image greater than 300 kb is posted (using a non-PIP host) that a thumbnail is utilized.

No image posted using PIP will ever require a thumbnail.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-28-2015).]

Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone here will chime in and correct me, but I believe there is a member who figured out the body control module from a later Pontiac and adapted it to the Fiero. I forget what all you get but I remember remote locks, and I think headlight delay.

I'd like to see pics of your new dash. Some have installed the Firebird dash, it is nearly a direct swap.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tuna Helper:

Someone here will chime in and correct me, but I believe there is a member who figured out the body control module from a later Pontiac and adapted it to the Fiero. I forget what all you get but I remember remote locks, and I think headlight delay.

I have these in my notes :

Auto Dimming Mirror :
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-1-076589.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/071008.html

Interior Lights :
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-071876.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-113578.html

Dimming Dome Light :
http://www.mp3car.com/hardw...mmer-with-delay.html

Hrm, when I first read headlight delay, for some-reason I was thinking dome delay dimmer. If that isn't correct, please forgive me :P

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 05-28-2015).]

dkh1020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greetings all, Just getting started with the easy stuff first. Currently the interior is gutted. More pics to follow.

My 18"inch wheels & Tires

Tail View

LED Running lamps

Short throw Shifter

MOMO Steering wheel

Mister Mikes seats

[This message has been edited by dkh1020 (edited 08-30-2015).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heated seats for the Houston area?
I would have guessed you might want seat cooling...
dkh1020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreed, maybe overkill but on those cool fall evenings with the tops off, sure is a nice have. Us folks in Texas especially in the Houston area have no concept of real cold. If it gets down to freezing here, the whole city comes to a stop especially with Icing conditions. Yes, we like our seat heaters

[This message has been edited by dkh1020 (edited 06-06-2015).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2015 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. The pics are pron here.

dkh1020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2015 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's on the agenda for the following weeks?

dkh1020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2015 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dkh1020

52 posts
Member since May 2011
Greetings,

Here are some pics for you.

Originally posted by Tuna Helper:

I'd like to see pics of your new dash. Some have installed the Firebird dash, it is nearly a direct swap.

PFF
System Bot
Killianzl1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2015 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Killianzl1Send a Private Message to Killianzl1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you get that dash and how much does it cost?
dkh1020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2015 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greetings

There is a member on the forum that goes by Amida. His name is Rob and he custom builds these to order. I ordered mine in March of last year so pricing may have changed. Hold on to your socks! My dash totaled to be $3,500 which included packing & shipping to Texas. I also had my rear console recovered to match at an additional cost.

You may want to look at the following links as well.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/091367.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000134-8.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/091104-9.html

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great stuff ! Can't wait to see more. On a side note you might want to add coilovers to the list to bring that beauty out of the sky.
Killianzl1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Killianzl1Send a Private Message to Killianzl1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Greetings

There is a member on the forum that goes by Amida. His name is Rob and he custom builds these to order. I ordered mine in March of last year so pricing may have changed. Hold on to your socks! My dash totaled to be $3,500 which included packing & shipping to Texas. I also had my rear console recovered to match at an additional cost.

You may want to look at the following links as well.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/091367.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000134-8.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/091104-9.html

While that is more than I expected. I would say its totally worth it for the modern look and feel.

[This message has been edited by Killianzl1 (edited 06-08-2015).]

Killianzl1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Killianzl1Send a Private Message to Killianzl1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Killianzl1

16 posts
Member since Jun 2015
Does he have a website or does he just operate out of his email?
pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Ambitious. Love the dash. Add a Homelink to either the headliner or a visor. I have a CJB and have thought about adding a Homelink to the liner between the panels.

I just put one in my Canyon - $5.00 at the Pick-a-part.

[This message has been edited by pcgold (edited 06-08-2015).]

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the list...another HomeLink option that adds 2 other modernization pieces: Nissan (Infiniti) rear view mirror (Part Number: GNTX-453)...it has 3 HomeLink Buttons, digital compass (Red LED on the part number listed) and auto-dim feature as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 06-08-2015).]

dkh1020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never seen a web site. Always communicated through the messenger service here on the forum

Originally posted by Killianzl1:

Does he have a website or does he just operate out of his email?

dkh1020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dkh1020

52 posts
Member since May 2011

have one, just one of those things I forgot to mention

Originally posted by pcgold:

Wow. Ambitious. Love the dash. Add a Homelink to either the headliner or a visor. I have a CJB and have thought about adding a Homelink to the liner between the panels.

I just put one in my Canyon - $5.00 at the Pick-a-part.

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2015 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PM sent with a question.
PFF
System Bot
Killianzl1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Killianzl1Send a Private Message to Killianzl1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to post pics after you install the dash?
pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try this too:

3rd brake light in the spoiler

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000078.html
dkh1020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Absolutely, I'll be posting pics of every thing I install. Did the easy stuff first, now comes the hard work

Originally posted by Killianzl1:

Are you going to post pics after you install the dash?

dkh1020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dkh1020

52 posts
Member since May 2011
Wow, this is extremely cool, looks like a total custom fabrication which is way beyond my skill set. Would love to have one though.

Originally posted by pcgold:

Try this too:

3rd brake light in the spoiler

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000078.html

[This message has been edited by dkh1020 (edited 06-10-2015).]

86Zimmer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86ZimmerSend a Private Message to 86ZimmerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My dash totaled to be $3,500 which included packing & shipping to Texas.

Is it made out of carbon fiber and covered in Rhino leather?
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86Zimmer:

Is it made out of carbon fiber and covered in Rhino leather?

lol.. People like you are why fiero vendors are far and few. Let's see you build that interior and sell it to everyone cheaper.

Yep not gonna happen.

pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow, this is extremely cool, looks like a total custom fabrication which is way beyond my skill set. Would love to have one though.

Deep in the heart of Texas you've got to be able to find a used GT wing for cheap to try it out and a buddy with the right tools. If you can install an Amida dash and half the other stuff you are doing, then this isn't beyond your skill set. You're already tackling a lot of the tough parts. This is all about diving in and seeing how to improve your skill set. Go for it.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Knowing that the Corvette release was around the corner, they killed them off pre-production.

HAHA!
dkh1020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This mod looked so cool, I'm on the look out for a GT wing. They appear here on craigslist from time to time and I have my eye out. I'm very capable to do my own work. No issues with remove and replace. I just don't have the facilities and tools to do this mod right. So, I will be farming this one out to my brother. He does these things for a living. I'm an IT guy so we barter for services. It's a win win situation for us both. Getting to old to do the hard stuff plus my time is limited. Currently installing my Mr. Mikes seat covers. I hate Hog Rings but the covers match the dash perfectly and are fantastic. If I can find a wing, I will post all the pics associated with the mod.

QUOTE]Originally posted by pcgold:

Deep in the heart of Texas you've got to be able to find a used GT wing for cheap to try it out and a buddy with the right tools. If you can install an Amida dash and half the other stuff you are doing, then this isn't beyond your skill set. You're already tackling a lot of the tough parts. This is all about diving in and seeing how to improve your skill set. Go for it.[/QUOTE]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock