Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Car didn't come with floor courtesy lights, can I add them?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Car didn't come with floor courtesy lights, can I add them? by 2.5
Started on: 01-06-2011 01:39 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: Jim_Martin29 on 01-10-2011 04:03 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
The floor courtesy lights were optional on alot of cars. Mine doesn't have them. Does anone know if ti is a simple as finding the wires and splicing in pigtails with bulb sockets? I assume like alot of this type of stuff, the wires might be there somewhere. Also can the socket/pigtail combo be purchased at an autoparts store? Someone must have done this already, but I couldn't find it in a search.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jim_Martin29

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post
I have a question along the same idea.

I see in the shop manual where our cars had the door open and lights-on chimes. Mine does not. Was this an option or has the PO disabled mine (or it might be broken).

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I beleive the "Plug in "IS there, I have a set of floor lights I bought for mine & still havent put in, (Ebay) So, Yes, It CAN easily be done.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim_Martin29:

I see in the shop manual where our cars had the door open and lights-on chimes. Mine does not. Was this an option or has the PO disabled mine (or it might be broken).

I'd actually be glad not ot have that
(Mine doesn't have it either)
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
You can just add the factory lights ! Or its easy to add no factory ones also just by tapping into the wires.

Under the passenger side dash you should have the "blue dingy thingy" is is bright blue and easy to spot. Alot of owners pulled them out due to random dings !

Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I'd actually be glad not ot have that
(Mine doesn't have it either)

I totally understand, lol.

I work as a multimedia producer and operate an audio and video recording studio. I was thinking about the possibilities of making my own unique chimes or messages. For example, a voice saying, "Shut the damn door."
bulldog85043

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Direct Link to This Post

For example, a voice saying, "Shut the damn door."

I remember when they came out in Chryslers and said "Your door is ajar." So many times people would shout back, "No, it's a door now STFU" hehehe
Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post
Oh yeah, I went through that with my 1985 Chrysler Turbo Laser. And I did find myself saying, to the car, "No, it;s not a jar it's a door, you idiot!

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

You can just add the factory lights ! Or its easy to add no factory ones also just by tapping into the wires.

Under the passenger side dash you should have the "blue dingy thingy" is is bright blue and easy to spot. Alot of owners pulled them out due to random dings !

So just go to a parts store and ask for replacement sockets?
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Or get some nice LED's or something to put in !
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Don't get me wrong, it's not rocket science to hook up a couple courtesy lights that turn on with pin switches, but I think you'll find that you'll need more than just sockets. If I recall correctly, a section of the orange and white wires aren't already there. Have a look at this diagram and make sure that you're OK with installing a wire harness that looks the part bewteen connector C209 pin A and C209 pin B. That's the section that I believe won't be in your car. It will be a matter of finding C209, which is behind the LH side of the instrument panel, and splicing your new courtesy wires to them.

PFF
System Bot
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Some cars had the sockets some didn't. But either way there's a plug sitting in near the fuse block with an Orange and a White wire sitting there. This is where the Floor lights harness plugged into it. Just grab some LED 12VOLT flat panels and wire into that. Orange is 12V always on White is switched ground with the doors. The plug is there. If you want to see what the wires look like exactly pull your overhead lights down and the wire is there too. The plug is where that wire comes down the Drivers A pillar to the under dash harness.
In the diagram above it calls that plug C209.

[This message has been edited by DIY_Stu (edited 01-07-2011).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
You can get the wiring harness for just the foot lights. I got it years ago from GT/SE w/o power locks or windows. It's just a play & play but you need to remove left speaker to plug it in. You can take it out w/o taking dash out but it's harder. I installed it and just tuck into dash.

Note: Some think it a 194 bulb and too dim. It uses 168 w/ 5 watt. Right bulb is noticeably brighter then 194.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-07-2011).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Thanks all, I may look into it.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
you sure they aren't there and just missing the bulbs? I can only assume you looked but for whatever reason those bulbs always seem to be missing on used cars.........if it was only that simple huh.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

you sure they aren't there and just missing the bulbs? I can only assume you looked but for whatever reason those bulbs always seem to be missing on used cars.........if it was only that simple huh.

Heres what we got

Drivers side has these thress unused wires, no idea what they are for, everything on this car seems to work. Anyone know?

Passenger side has no wires

zefferk

Feedback score:    (69)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zefferkSend a Private Message to zefferkDirect Link to This Post
I don't have them on my '88 notchback, but found them on an '85 donor so I pulled the wiring for both sides out with the sockets that fit into those mounting holes you show. I've not hooked them up as of yet, but plan to this weekend. I've also wondered if the connections for the '84-'86 seat speakers could be reused and married into the '88 harnes to add an additional set of small speakers too...
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
The top connector in your first photo is connector C209. You're missing the section I mentioned earlier that plugs into that connector that extends the orange and white wires to the two sockets that get twisted into the two brackets in your second photo. You don't need the specific harness you're missing though. You can make one easily. Just cut off the connector and splice two pairs of wires from each of the orange and white wires there, just like in the schematic I posted above. Lead one pair to the driver's side and the other to the passenger side. Then splice on a standard 194 bulb socket to the free end of each pair and you're done. Just remember that when you cut the connector off to pull out the BAT Fuse or you'll short out the orange wire to the white wire and blow the fuse.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Don't cut anything yet.

On pass side... Carefully follow small black bundle of wires. I'm guessing buries in insulation is unused socket. If so... driver side is buried too.

I think You car had cross connect harness from factory. 1 with 2 wire look like it foot light wire. Two small blue connectors should be power windows and power locks or mirrors.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Power mirrors, windows, locks can have the lights in the harness, but no options = no wires. The black plug is the main harness to floor light connector.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
1. 88 car
2. GM can use "wrong" cross connect harness if:
2a. error in factory line... easier to leave error that rip wrong one out if it doesn't mean Option is deleted.
2b. maybe 88 has a wiring change and doesn't need cross connect harness that most year do.
2c. maybe some cars uses whatever leftovers since 88 last year made...
2d. GM felt like it.

How should I know...

Picture said look for socket. One black plug with orange and white wires is foot lights. Has plug then very good bet you also has buried socket.

If guess is correct... 2 single wire are for power and plugs into back of fuse box. Do not plug it in. You can check and see which socket goes to which fuse. (You can unbolt fuse box for more room to work...)

Next time you have
Shifter trim out... look for unused socked near/under trim for power window and mirrors go in.
Kick panel at bottom of A pillar... check for extra wire/socket

------------------
(Jurassic Park)

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
zefferk said his car is an 88, mine is an 86 notchie, no power options. I will still follow that wire and see if anything is there, but doubting it. Thanks again guys.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
If pic you post is not your car then yes, you need wiring...

------------------
(Jurassic Park)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-08-2011).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

If pic you post is not your car then yes, you need wiring...

The pics are my car, its an 86, sounded like you thought it was an 88?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Dif year, same #2 minus 88 note(2b & c)

Dig in pass side and see...

------------------
(Jurassic Park)

Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post
I saw these lights at Walmart the other night and remembered having read this post, so I snapped a photo for you.

It looks like these would be an easy install. Just place them, clip off the cigarette lighter plug, and wire into the system.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock