Started on: 07-02-2009 02:37 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 12-19-2010 09:41 PM
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2009 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i know ive seen more than plenty of talk and flame on those Gentex mirrors. but what other ones have you used? mine came from some car in the GM section at pull-a-part. it just has the map lights. same mirror my corvette had. but ive been wanting to put one in that has auto dimm, temp, compass, and map lights. that always points me to donnelly or gentex.

heres the one i would like to get form autoanything.com

http://www.autoanything.com...ors/61A2075A0A0.aspx

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 07-25-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2009 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
americasfuture,
I like the "show me" rear view mirror idea. On the model you show, can the small pip window be ordered in red, in deference with Pontiac red interior theme? Is the cost the same as what can be orederd on e-bay (Tahoe's, Escalades, Suburbans, etc.,)? I think the GM product may have better quality. Just my thought. I do like the idea of all those options, the more the better in my world. More ideas please...

Cordially,
Kevin
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2009 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
its only available in bluegreen. never seen any in another color. i spent some time searching, and gather most of my info from other forums. Gentex and Donnelly are the TWO major mirror manufacturers. donnelly appears to be what manufacturer mazda uses. im sure the cost coming from a GM SUV brand new would cost out the ass. but the ones bought off ebay, are a real iffy deal. IMO, no way to really return it if it does mess up; depending on the seller. but all those options appear not to be available in one package unless ordered from a place that sells those mirrors. ive searced and always ended up coming to these aftermarket ones. but in a way, its not like we need those lights. but i want em. never have enough light inside the car. you can get the models WITHOUT the map lights from a SUV or Caddi. but have fun doing the compass and temp stuff. gotta get all that along with the mirror.

------------------
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2009 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
i have that same gentex mirror with a stick on it that says.."objects in mirror tend to disappear.' hehe...tim
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2009 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Here's my Gentex mirror, from a 98 Suburban, auto dimming with compass and temperature

Yes that's 23 degrees Fahrenheit, this was taken in February a year or two ago.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2009 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
I have one from a cadillac; its auto-dimming and compass, but not temperature.

------------------

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2009 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
For anyone thinking about installing one of Donnelly's mirrors, you might find this support file interesting. None of their mirrors that I have ever seen come with a wiring diagram so I did some digging and found this pdf file. It covers most of their mirrors and made the installation a breeze.

Donnelly mirror install manual and wiring diagram

BTW, the above link will download the actual file so if you want to browse their files use this link instead

Donnelly mirror support files

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 07-02-2009).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2009 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I have one in both my Fiero, and in myS-15 GMC truck. I know which of the 16 pins are necessary to get the temperature, auto dim and compass to work on the GenTex mirrors
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2009 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

For anyone thinking about installing one of Donnelly's mirrors, you might find this support file interesting. None of their mirrors that I have ever seen come with a wiring diagram so I did some digging and found this pdf file. It covers most of their mirrors and made the installation a breeze.

Donnelly mirror install manual and wiring diagram

BTW, the above link will download the actual file so if you want to browse their files use this link instead

Donnelly mirror support files

thanks infinitewill, thats good help for when i get one of these.

------------------

JohnW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2010 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWSend a Private Message to JohnWDirect Link to This Post
I just installed a Gentex auto dimming mirror with compass and Homelink in my 88 GT. It came from a Nissan Altima. The compass display is amber. Installation was easy. It fit the GM window mount and had only 3 wires. Running an ignition wire was the hardest part.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2010 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Mitsubishi 1999 spyder. Removal of the doom lights the rear view mirror has them built in.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2010 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Here's mine. I actually don't know what it is from, but the prior owner (who is a member) would know.

It works rather well though. I've got to say, an auto-dimming mirror is one of the better Fiero mods that every owner should have. You never get blinded again by any other car from being in such a low sitting vehicle.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2010 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I want to put somthing like this into my Solstice. I miss the auto dimming mirror i had in my mitsu.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock