Parking lift assembly day by lorennerol
Started on: 05-23-2015 11:22 AM
Replies: 27 (640 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-31-2015 02:42 PM
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're fortunate to have a high-ceiling garage. When we gave my wife her Bugeye last summer we put in a parking lift to make room in the garage. At that time the Fiero was parked outside.

Now that the Fiero has new paint, it's been in the garage and my 4Runner has been outside. But not after today. Today we turn this:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Into this:

Last time we did this I didn't have an engine hoist. It was really a feat to get the thing off the trailer and assembled with a floor jack and a hand truck. It ships all in that one package and weighs over 1700 pounds.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
12 hours, two helpers, half a box of Top Pot donuts, a pot of coffee, four trips to the hardware store, one trip to O'Reilly's, and a pizza later.

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice.

I'd like to see some pics of the Sprite.

Archie
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-24-2015 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice,,,
just hope the pad is thick enough for those.. most 4" garage floors won't last long
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

nice,,,
just hope the pad is thick enough for those.. most 4" garage floors won't last long

a 4 Post is fine on residential garage floor. The contact patch is larger than if the tires were on the floor. They don't even have to be bolted down. A two post is a different story.

This in on my wish list, but I'm looking to have mine installed. I'm too old and tired to mess with 1,700 pounds and where would I find two friends? lol.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-24-2015).]

thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is your garage height? Been thinking about doing something just like this to double up on my space.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks great. One of my mom's neighbors just built a shop that included a lift. As soon as the pad was cured I noticed the makings of a large lift lying on it. It sat there for weeks before he got the shop built around it.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have a Rotary Lift in our garage. Its an older 2 post model but solid as a rock. Its on 6" thick old concrete and it doesn't move the slightest bit. With a 4 post you have twice as many posts to support the car so you do not need more than a 4" concrete floor. You do have to use strong hardened anchor bolts though. MOST residential garage floors are 4" concrete. Since I built the garage I made sure that the floor wasa minimum of 6" of 3200 lb concrete.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I built a 30x40 shop at the house about 3 years ago. I'd planned going in that I'd install a 2 post lift, so we made sure the concrete pad was plenty thick and installed rebar throughout the pad. I have a 12 foot high ceiling and installed a Bend-Pack 2 post lift. Best money I ever spent on a tool!! Most of my jack stand collection is gathering dust

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4
1987 Corvette
2001 Chrysler 300M
Van's RV-6 airplane

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're going to love having it. Makes certain jobs much easier.

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol: When we gave my wife her Bugeye last summer we put in a parking lift to make room in the garage.

Very nice! I guess I can't say I'm the only Fiero & Bugeye owner on this forum!

I'm with Archie.....we need more pics (and details) about the Bugeye.
PFF
System Bot
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mrfiero

8996 posts
Member since Mar 99
Double post!

[This message has been edited by mrfiero (edited 05-24-2015).]

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

Very nice! I guess I can't say I'm the only Fiero & Bugeye owner on this forum!

I'm with Archie.....we need more pics (and details) about the Bugeye.

Thanks! It's the second lift in the garage, which does have a high ceiling. I'll get the measurement tomorrow. The Fiero had been an outside-parked car since 1997 or so, but after investing so much money in paint, it needs be inside.

The Sprite is a '59 with a 1275 A-series, front disc brakes, a custom cam, Weber side-draft carb, Datsun 5-speed, and 12 volt conversion. My father in law and I gave it to my wife as a surprise gift at a car show last Father's Day. He restored it from a tub and parts over two years, during which we somehow kept it secret. She showed it for the first time today...boy do people really love that little car. My in-laws are coming up (to Seattle from Tucson) again for Father's Day this year. He's going to bring his Sprite, and we're going to show all four cars (2x Sprite, Fiero, Sky) at the same show where we gave wifey her car this year. It'll be the inaugural show for the Fiero.

I'll post up some pics of the Sprite tomorrow.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Garage height is 11'-2.5". But there is a support beam that interferes with two of the three bays that costs me about 8" of clearance under the door.

In the bay without the beam I can raise the lift to full height with any of the two-seaters on top, and both the Sienna and 4Runner will fit under. I can also fit the Sky (with the top down) and Bugeye (haven't tried the Fiero) under the Sienna or 4Runner on that side. The Sky fits by two fingers widths

I'm not sure about the middle bay yet. The door isn't entirely done (not all garage door companies are created equal...should have stuck with the first, more expensive crew). I tested with the Fiero lifted to max height and the Sienna wouldn't fit. I think it will if I back the Fiero onto the lift, though.

I posted some pics of my wife's Sprite here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum10/HTML/000571.html
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

Garage height is 11'-2.5". But there is a support beam that interferes with two of the three bays that costs me about 8" of clearance under the door.

Wow, that's quite a high ceiling... Mine is only 9" 6'... but I figure that's enough to stack two Fieros, one of which is chopped 3 inches!

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Now let's hear about the lift and prices.
is that a benpak?
I want a backyard buddie 4 post.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it's a Bendpak HD9. I spent a lot (A LOT) of time researching the first one and kept arriving at "I prefer everything about the Bendpak except the price".

With the first one I upgraded to aluminum ramps, got a set of casters (it can be moved around on them, just not with a car on it), and bought two pairs of drip trays (I needed three trays and they come in pairs).

With this one, I got just another set of aluminum ramp brackets (I don't need or want two sets of ramps), one more pair of drip trays, and added a 3000 pound jacking platform. With terminal pickup, I think my total was about $3100. I would add that Brian Lockhart at asedeals.com is fantastic to work with. He must have spent two hours total on the phone with me reviewing brands, models, and options the first time (I don't work for, with, or otherwise have any skin in their game, other than they treated me very well).

This one was waiting for me at the terminal five business days after I ordered it. The package is 14 feet long on the dot and weighs a little over 1700 pounds- getting it off a trailer/truck without a forklift is not trivial.

Assembly takes time, but isn't complicated. I did some thing differently than the instructions and managed to avoid a couple painful errors that I made and had to undo with the first one. If anyone where orders one let me know via PM and I'll send you some thoughts.

I see that asedeals.com has the Dannmar D7000 on sale now for $2700 with casters, drip trays, and a jacking platform. That's a good deal.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lorennerol

520 posts
Member since Apr 2010

Originally posted by doublec4:

You're going to love having it. Makes certain jobs much easier.

What is the car on the left, yellow with black rally stripes?
GreenPlatypus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenPlatypusSend a Private Message to GreenPlatypusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What is the car on the left, yellow with black rally stripes?

Viper SRT10 by the looks of it.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go Blue! (notice that plastic cup in the pic)
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Go Blue! (notice that plastic cup in the pic)

Quite. Been in the Pacific Northwest since 1991, but born and raised in Ann Arbor and bleed maize and blue
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL At first glance I thought it said "CHICAGO".
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quite. Been in the Pacific Northwest since 1991, but born and raised in Ann Arbor and bleed maize and blue

(better than green and white)

mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

LOL At first glance I thought it said "CHICAGO".

Same here.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took my oldest back for her first game at The Big House last fall. It turned out to be High School Band Day and she finagled her way into that, so she got to rehearse with the MMB and play on the field with them at halftime and post-game. It was the only weekend all season that had home football and hockey, so we were able to catch two games at Yost. That cup was for hot chocolate at Yost. Super fun experience. Not unlike sharing my Fiero with her

I bought my Fiero from a person in Saline in spring of 1991. She was the second owner. I *think* the original owner was from Saginaw.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up some parts from Saline and also picked up a Fiero in Ann Arbor.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2015 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally took the time to shuffle things around and got all five cars in the garage last night. I still haven't tried all the variations; I'd eventually like to have the Sky and 4Runner in the middle, but because the door is lower on that side, I don't know yet if that combo works.

[This message has been edited by lorennerol (edited 05-31-2015).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2015 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need to move... Nice setup you have there.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock