Started on: 04-04-2015 08:40 AM
Replies: 16 (1425 views)
Last post by: Monkeyman on 04-08-2015 06:23 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been a while since I've been Fiero shopping so I'm way behind on custom touches. I know that my next Fiero CAN'T keep a stock interior forever so I'm getting some ideas ahead of time.

There was/is a custom (not based on anything like the Firebird, etc) interior that someone made a few (maybe, many) years ago. I can remember that it ended up upholstered in brown and black leather and that it was eventually sold to someone who claimed they would make them to sell. IIRC, he cheapened it up a lot then tried to sell them for way too much money.

Does anyone know which interior I'm referring to? I know. It's sort of like saying "it was that actor that was dating that actress who was in that movie with that other actor". /shrug/

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you referring to this interior?:

Help ID-ing this interior

The best interior option available today IMO:

G1 dash which is inspired from a Lamborghini Gallardo interior in Photoshop and mocked up by me and made a reality by Rob Amida:

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 04-04-2015).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. That's the dash. Thanks. I'm not interested in one of Amidas dashes only due to the cost. Someone said just one of his interiors (probably that last one posted) cost as much as some peoples Fieros. I just couldn't spend $2-4k for an interior, no matter how nice it was.

So, what other interiors are out there besides Archies, the PISA units and the Firebird? I don't care for the looks of Archies dash, theh PISA units seem to require a LOT of fabrication work as do the Firebirds. I don't want a project where I'll get frustrated and fail. I'll want one that I can bolt in and succeed!
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I spoke with the current owner of those molds a few years ago. He lived in Las Vegas and bought the molds from the original designer. He sent me a TON of pictures of the molds in his driveway but in the end, I could not negotiate a feasable deal with him. He wanted $25,000 for the molds and I almost dropped my phone when I heard his price. The name of his company was Crickettworks and I believe he is no longer around.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-04-2015).]

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes Rob's stuff is definitely as much as some of the members Fieros, but it is 2nd to NONE...has a very OEM look to it while updating the interior to a modern interior.
He has almost completed the matching inner door panels...which will complete the entire interior revamp of any Fiero...I am a little bias...no lie.
The last one completed...shown above...is for my ReMera rebody and cost as much as some of my parts cars.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/071580.html

If this Firebird interior has not sold...this would be a pretty inexpensive and easy swap out...since it was already installed.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 04-04-2015).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seajai on here did a Camry dash swap. He said the dash fit almost perfectly. Obvioulsy his shifter is out of another vehicle:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000139-7.html

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-04-2015).]

ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's really too bad about Eddy Snaauw's interior. Somebody could have reproduced it successfully, and I believe financially. Years ago, I talked to him about buying the molds and putting them to use for the Fiero community, but at that time I just didn't have the resources or the time to invest into it. I thought for sure that somebody appropriately equipped would snatch the molds up and start making parts. Sadly, that never happened:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...010824-1-005493.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...010924-1-003193.html

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/071580.html

If this Firebird interior has not sold...this would be a pretty inexpensive and easy swap out...since it was already installed.

I don't believe it was ever installed in a Fiero, it's 1/2 a country away and the seller won't ship. Seems like a great price, though, as he's including jscotts wiring harness. (Never have seen pics of the interior, now that I think about it.)

AL68

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL68Send a Private Message to AL68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a dash in a 2011 Malibu that might look good, a little like the Amida one

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The firebird dash is the closest thing to a plug and play dash there is. If you do the wiring yourself it's really affordable. There is not a lot of fabrication for the dash itself... I think PBJ did his in a weekend. If you are not good with wiring the harness makes it a 30 second operation. Of course it takes me about 40 hours to build the harness to enable that.

If you want something more custom then the price goes up to as much as you want to pay.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not very good at fabrication but I DO like the look of the Firebird dash. Maybe that's what I'll end up with. Still working on a Fiero although I'm 99% there. Just waiting to make sure I can get the title (from KY) without having to physically be there to sign it.

I've browsed the few Firebird dash install threads on here (although I can't find them now). It looks like I'd have to fabricate brackets and make some sort of piece to fill in from the dash to the windshield as well as some fab work on the console. Maybe fab up something for the behind-the-dash ductwork? I don't weld and have very minimal tools so I'm not sure this would even be possible. On the plus side, the Fiero will be a 2nd car so, although I'd like it to be a 3 season daily driver, it doesn't have to be while I'm messing with it.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "de facto" firebird dash thread is in the construction zone. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000119.html

You are correct on your assessment of the dash. You just need to make some brackets and bolt it in. Fab up some flexible ducts and fill in the space between the dash and the windshield. For a more refined look you would also need to change the steering column mount. There is no welding (except for the steering wheel column mount and you could have someone make that for you).
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-06-2015 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the Firebird dash, you can just use the original plastic filler piece between the dash and windshield and cut it down to fit the Fiero, right?
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

The "de facto" firebird dash thread is in the construction zone. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000119.html

You are correct on your assessment of the dash. You just need to make some brackets and bolt it in. Fab up some flexible ducts and fill in the space between the dash and the windshield. For a more refined look you would also need to change the steering column mount. There is no welding (except for the steering wheel column mount and you could have someone make that for you).

Thanks. It looks like I have some serious reading to do after work tomorrow.

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15810 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by jscott1:

For a more refined look you would also need to change the steering column mount.

I can see using a stock Firebird/Trans Am steering wheel. I never have liked the stock Fiero steering wheel. Not sure I ever kept the stock one in any of my previous Fieros.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

I can see using a stock Firebird/Trans Am steering wheel. I never have liked the stock Fiero steering wheel. Not sure I ever kept the stock one in any of my previous Fieros.

A firebird steering wheel will bolt up to the Fiero column, but that isn't what I was talking about. When I first did my dash I left the column in the stock location and it allows a gap between the column and the cluster.

Later I modified the mounting bracket to raise the column.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I'd be raising the column.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock