Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Just picked up an 87 SE basket case (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Just picked up an 87 SE basket case by 78_elky
Started on: 04-02-2015 06:31 PM
Replies: 364 (10442 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-26-2019 06:53 PM
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You painted it with something else after the POR15, right? POR15 is not meant to be exposed.
IP: Logged
78_elky

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Hey Jessica! I enjoy reading your Fiero exploits...
Here's a pic of the cross member from my '84 SE (it was 'a little weak') and the replacement I got from a wrecker.
I sandblasted it and painted it with POR15. Great stuff you might want to try if you haven't already.

Thanks, I hope I get to have more "fun" updates about cruising the car around soon

That cross member does look a little weak! Mine was luckily just surface rust and old paint that I needed to remove. I have only really found "bad" rust under the battery. I ended up just cutting it all out.
I've been coating everything in Eastwood Chassis Coat; I think its pretty much like the POR15 stuff but it doesn't necessarily need a top coat so I went with it. So far I've been very pleased with it. I do use caliper paint for the parts that I don't want such a thick coating on; like the spindles, caliper brackets, dust shields, and intermediate shaft.

I was able to finish what blasting I had left last night and I even figured out an easy solution to pressing the new ball joints into the lower A-arms.

Its looking like I might just get enough done to reassemble the front end this weekend!

Jessica
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apologies to Jessica for the side-topic distraction...

Originally posted by tshark:

You painted it with something else after the POR15, right? POR15 is not meant to be exposed.

Actually, no topcoat was applied; on the advice of my supplier (who has used POR15 for years) and from the www.por15.com FAQ:
MUST I PAINT OVER POR-15 TO MAKE IT LAST?
No, but POR-15 has an ultra-violet sensitivity and must be topcoated if continually exposed to sunlight. Once topcoated, POR-15 will remain effective for many years.

To avoid sun exposure, I just need to keep the car rubber side down.
Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So lady J, what is your easy way of installing the lower ball joints? I may want to change mine to RD's lowering ball joints.
thanks ! the other Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rexgirl:

So lady J, what is your easy way of installing the lower ball joints? I may want to change mine to RD's lowering ball joints.
thanks ! the other Jessica

So it may not be super easy for everyone because I do have a 20 ton press in my garage. To press in the new ones I used a piece of thin walled pipe (from an old hammock frame I luckily hadn't recycled yet) to cover the stud and a very large socket where the zerk fitting is. To remove the old ones I use a deep socket over the stud and removed the grease boot, while the bottom of the A-arm was supported by a piece of angle iron. So pretty simple (if you have a press).

I had to buy the press to change bearings on my axles in my El Camino; because no one local would work on a hybrid Ford 9" GM 12 bolt axle that was going into an El Camino with Camaro discs.

As for progress on the Fiero: there was a good amount last night!

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
I cut the bump stop perches (then I broke both bump stops trying to get them out, so I guess I'm waiting until I can get a new set sent to me. Thank goodness the Fiero store has them

Finished all the A-arms last night

I also finished cleaning and painting the cross member :-D

I dismantled one spindle to clean it up and paint it, but the picture came out blurry so I'll get another one tonight while I'm working on it.

The weather here is turning wet, and I think it'll start to be more rainy days than clear in the next week or so. Hopefully I can get the majority of the parts back on before that though.
Jessica

[This message has been edited by 78_elky (edited 10-08-2015).]

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a cool thread. Nice to see someone put work into a car especially a girl LOL. I like those wheels too they look way better in black like that. Good luck with your build. Peace

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
CNC Machining and prototyping
Maryville, Tennessee
A&N Precision Machine on Facebook!

78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

This is a cool thread. Nice to see someone put work into a car especially a girl LOL. I like those wheels too they look way better in black like that. Good luck with your build. Peace

Pete

Thanks, the wheels were a bit of a gamble and I'm glad they worked out.
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

78_elky

280 posts
Member since Mar 2015
Things got done last night! Then I ran out of light and its no fun working in the dark under a car outside by yourself if you really don't have to. So I quit to go look up some torque specs and I'll do some more tonight if I'm not busy.

Jessica

[This message has been edited by 78_elky (edited 10-09-2015).]

78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2015 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now I think I'm mostly done for the night ;-) Lots of progress today (some setbacks but still progress).

This is what I started with on the back.

As you can see I've removed the majority of the parts from the drivers side. I still have to get the tie rod off.

The passenger side has a plate welded to the cradle where it had rusted (due to a battery leaking I believe). The idiot previous owner did the welding...can you see the issue? He welded over the access hole for the lower A-arm bolt. So I'll have to copy the shape from the other side and cut it out so I can remove the arm.

The front arms were in the way in the garage so I threw them on the car. I need to order some bump stops for the front so I can't put it back together yet anyways.

The spring and strut were a total mess (seriously if you put the strut on the shaft it'd compress under its own weight haha). I used a spring compressor to hold it and then cut it apart. Then took off the parts I needed.

I've also took apart the front spindle assembly and am going to do the usual: clean, strip and paint.

I've got nothing planned for the weekend during the day so I'm hoping a lot of work can get done
Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates!

I got the hole cut in the frame to access the A-arm bolt.

The bushings came out with a little fire!

I finally got around to blasting those last few front pieces.

As per usual I painted them black :-)

And that is where I quit for the weekend. I'll be cleaning and painting the rear lower A-arms tomorrow and putting the new ball joints and bushings in. I think the last thing I need to pull off the rear end is the tie rods. My inner tie rods on the rear and really messed up and missing the boots so I'll be replacing them along with some other pieces.

Jessica
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookimg good. The rack looks especially sharp.
PFF
System Bot
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I assembled the front spindles. That means I'm only waiting on ordering the bump stops to get it back together.

I'm about done cleaning and painting bolts, the arms are coated in this horrible undercoat and grease mess. I had thought it was just some light grease and I could clean it off but it turns out I'll have to blast them like the others. I've got a few nice days this week to work on it so I should get it done. My rear inner tie rods are messed up and the boots are torn so I'm ordering those, and some other parts this week.

I'll probably end up cleaning and painting the strut towers and I'll cut the hole in the deck lid frame to allow for the strut tops to come up farther because of the drop springs and modifications.

I got done working on the car this weekend and spent all Monday working on my yard and I'm skipping working on the car tonight. Sometimes its best just to take a step back
Jessica
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The control arms look as if you can restore them easily, but the tie rod joints look as if the boots are rather suspect.
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The control arms look as if you can restore them easily, but the tie rod joints look as if the boots are rather suspect.

Yeah the control arms are pretty solid, not much worse than surface/flash rust.
I'm just not very happy with the paint that is on them, its either an elastic or rubberized undercoat or its regular paint over grime.
It just rubs off and balls up so I need to strip them. I was just going to hit them with an angle grinder but I can't get it into the tight spots.

The rear inner tie rods are shot, both boots are split, one all the way around and the other is about an inch and a half opening.
They were also both pretty worn, probably from age and lack of grease.

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The lower rear arms are ready to go back on the car!

I also painted the hole I cut in the frame as well as the strut towers; my Dad kept telling me to do it and he was so right!
It really makes the trunk look finished and fancy :-)

My drag link broke on my S10 and an inner tie rod bent. I think it was an issue since I bought the truck but it completely broke yesterday.
Luckily I made it home and no one was hurt.
I spent today home from work walking to the auto parts store and back multiple times to fix it.
The store sold me an outer tie rod instead of an inner so that sucked and required more walking and waiting.
But the truck is back in business and drives better than ever!

Unfortunately this is the 3rd time the Fiero should have been my backup and wasn't ready for action.
I'm sure 4th times a charm ;-)

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2015 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I'm about as far as I can get without a delivery from the UPS guy.

I got both struts assembled, went with KYBs front and rear. I also replaced the strut tops, the dust shields, and bump stops.

Then I got the rest of the rear end back together this afternoon.

I had to clearance the deck lid for the strut tops but it wasn't too hard. Everything went together really easily.

I'm just waiting on some pieces:
axle nuts to replace my rounded off ones
rear inner tie rods because the boots are cracked on mine
stainless brake lines to replace my old cracked rubber ones and cut one
poly front bump stops because mine didn't survive being removed
I still need to order a pair of front calipers as mine have bleeder issues and have some rust on the piston

I should be back to working on it at some point this week
Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I had some time today and I'm still waiting on stuff to get here so I stopped by the junkyard and got a new light housing and a new gas shock to replace the one that failed.
The light required opening up the hole in the metal a little bit more as well as trimming the carpet.
The nice thing is its got a switch and a bezel and looks a million times better than the stock one. Plus I can turn it off while working on the car.
Its from a first gen Jimmy or Blazer.

The only issue is that the light isn't bright.
I think the plug that goes up to the trunk latch is too corroded and is causing too much resistance and the light is dim.
I'm going to do more investigating but I do know the switch is good and the light is good.

My calipers will be here Tuesday and my other parts at some point...no tracking # yet from the Fiero store.

I got some other parts for my S10 so I'll be playing with it this week in the meantime.

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Calipers came in so I masked them and painted them up. Thats the same red I painted the rear calipers. My parts from the Fiero Store come in on Friday at some point. Might have it all buttoned up this weekend (if I'm lucky).

Jessica

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not criticizing, but I would worry about painting the entire thing, in terms of sticking. I usually just paint the visible parts.
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2015 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not criticizing, but I would worry about painting the entire thing, in terms of sticking. I usually just paint the visible parts.

No worries I masked off or removed anything that I couldn't get the masking to stick to. All the rubber boots and seals were removed before paint.
I also went ahead and got a rag wet with MEK and wiped down any over spray after I was done and before the paint really cured well. Like near the piston and the dust boot.
Its not nearly as covered in red now that I'm done as it was in the picture.

Jessica
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should've known you would do it right.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 10-22-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I should've known you would do it right.

I do make my fair share of mistakes. Plus its always nice to know someone is reading this and even going that extra step to check and see if I'm doing things the right way.
I by no means know everything there is to know about cars, and these little go carts aren't always like a conventional car or truck so I like to get that heads up when I can.

I really want it to be Friday already so I can get my parts and at least start to finish the project. This waiting is as bad as Christmas!
Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2015 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The pile of parts I started with today wasn't too big.

The front just needs to be bled and have the sway bar end link tightened when its back on its wheels.
The only other issue is with the brake hoses, they didn't come with a clamp to hold them or any other mounting hardware like the Fiero Store said they would.
I'm going to call them on Monday and see if maybe that bag of parts got left out of my shipment.

The rears are also finally done. Like the front they need to be bled. I'll tighten the axle nuts when its back on the ground.

While I've got my Dad over to help me bleed the brakes I'll get him to help me reattach the parking brakes to the calipers.

I should have it back on the ground tomorrow if the weather holds, otherwise sometime next week and then its off to an alignment shop!
I can't wait to see how low it is!

Jessica
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be sure to talk to the person doing the work on the car at the alignment shop about things that need to be looked out for like the coolant pipes that run along side the chassis. I've heard tale of those getting chrushed by people putting these cars on lifts and not knowing they aren't load bearing.
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

Be sure to talk to the person doing the work on the car at the alignment shop about things that need to be looked out for like the coolant pipes that run along side the chassis. I've heard tale of those getting chrushed by people putting these cars on lifts and not knowing they aren't load bearing.

Thanks for the heads up. Depending on how bad my home alignment is and if the car wants to idle well I'll be taking it to one of two nearby Les Schwabs. I know the manager of one of them personally so hopefully I can get the car to that location (unfortunately its the farther one from my house where the car is). If not the other location is a few blocks from my house so that should at least make the trip less scary.

The rain on Sunday was too constant and heavy to warrant bleeding the brakes and I flat ran out of daylight on Saturday after the little pieces were all back together on the car; so it is still up in the air and needs to be finished.
Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

78_elky

280 posts
Member since Mar 2015
Super productive night. My Dad helped me bleed the brakes; and I got the parking brake cables back on and the wheels back on the car.
I lowered the car back down and I've only got a few punch list items to go.
I'm not sure if it'll drop a little more after its been driven but its looking good.

Its a total of 45" off the ground; and the wheel gap is much smaller which I love!

Jessica
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm down in the Salem area and needed to replace a starter on my Suburban on Sunday. That rain and wind was a bit too much but I've been using my Fiero as my main car. Did great but I got the starter done today so back into the garage it goes for now, sure was fun to drive it though
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2015 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is coming along nicely. You certainly have attacked its issues with a vengance. Good job.
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

I'm down in the Salem area and needed to replace a starter on my Suburban on Sunday. That rain and wind was a bit too much but I've been using my Fiero as my main car. Did great but I got the starter done today so back into the garage it goes for now, sure was fun to drive it though

Yeah I hear that, I'm actually in Newberg but Portland always seems like a better thing to put on my signature. My Dad came over to help bleed the brakes on Sunday and the rain never really let up so he helped me push my El Camino on casters across my garage so I could clean half the floor and rearrange some tools.
We pushed it to the other side yesterday so I can clean the rest of the floor. It was cleaner working on my parking pad in my side yard than in my garage. Replacing floor pans is one messy job let me tell you!

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

78_elky

280 posts
Member since Mar 2015

Originally posted by bjc 350:

The car is coming along nicely. You certainly have attacked its issues with a vengance. Good job.

Thanks!

Truth be told I was hoping not to have to dig into it this deep but a lot of stuff was just plain worn out and unsafe.
The rubber brake lines were a real mess (and then I nicked one with an angle grinder while cutting a riveted bracket) and a lot of the suspension components looked as if they would fail.
I got the drop springs on craigslist locally for around $100 so that was just a bonus in my book.

Every time I drove it before was kind of stupid with all its suspension and brake issues; and I'd like to have a nice little car I can use as a daily driver if I don't need my truck.

Jessica
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are almost there. Of course, once it is running right and reliable, then you will want to make it look as sharp as it runs. Then, you will see one in a backyard somewhere and you won't be able to stand the prospect of it going to the junk yard. Once you drag that one home, the process can start all over again! But first, get this one done.
PFF
System Bot
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2015 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjc 350:

You are almost there. Of course, once it is running right and reliable, then you will want to make it look as sharp as it runs. Then, you will see one in a backyard somewhere and you won't be able to stand the prospect of it going to the junk yard. Once you drag that one home, the process can start all over again! But first, get this one done.

I have some ideas for the Fiero after its on the road but they are a little long term. I am pretty focused on finishing my El Camino I just finished the new floors and I'm going to pull the frame soon, I hope. Then I think I want to find an old panel truck to build with air ride...or maybe do an AWD S10 or a full size 70s gm muscle car. I've kind of got varied interests and I've never thought about having more than one of the same car HAHA

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2015 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finished all the little things last night between showers, the wheel is back on the steering column and is straight! I let it sit and idle and although it was a little cold and the battery was a little below charged it seemed to do great.
It may just leave the back yard this week; or next as there is a wedding I need to go to this weekend and I'm sure it'll be taking all my time.
Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2015 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well there it is, almost the same spot and its a little over an inch lower. Plus I think my home alignment is a lot closer to correct than how it was when I started.
I'll still be taking it in for an alignment before I drive it too much though.
I also found out it had a dead battery when I went to move it and when I put another battery in it it started right up.

For some reason the courtesy lights in the foot wells are on but the ones on the headliner are not and the door chime is dinging.
It dings while the car is driving and the lights never turn off. So I've been using the search function and google to figure it out.
I'll have to get that sorted out before I take it to get an alignment.
Its still running a little too fast so I'll be looking into that as well. I'm pretty sure I have a faulty IAC but haven't had a chance to check it yet.

Jessica

**Edit**
I just noticed you can see in the before pic at the top the El Camino is on its frame, and in the most recent picture the frame is next to it!
I've been making a lot of progress on that as well

[This message has been edited by 78_elky (edited 11-03-2015).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2015 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The overhead lights require a ground. I found this out when replacing the bulbs. The screws provide the ground.

For the chime, you just need to isolate which thing is causing it. I usually look up the diagram and disconnect wires until I've isolated which one it is. It's for sure the door chime? So, no chime when the doors are closed?

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 11-03-2015).]

78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2015 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The overhead lights require a ground. I found this out when replacing the bulbs. The screws provide the ground.

For the chime, you just need to isolate which thing is causing it. I usually look up the diagram and disconnect wires until I've isolated which one it is. It's for sure the door chime? So, no chime when the doors are closed?

Ok I have to check the overhead light again, I am pretty sure they worked when I got the car but maybe they are just burned out or something happened.
I looked in the Haynes manual for the wiring and I'm going to be checking on all that (if I can get home when its still light out).
The door chime happens when the door are closed and the car is running and the courtesy lights are also on.
What is interesting the AJAR warning is no longer illuminated on the dash like it has been.

And it looks like my battery didn't like being drained and its now showing 7V so I guess I'll be taking that back to get warrantied out :-/

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2015 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I figured out the battery drain. It turns out the drivers side map light up on the headliner is the issue.
The switch shorted at some point and that was the ground. I pulled that whole panel out and all the lights worked.
I checked the door switches to be sure and they are fine. Looks like I'll have to replace that piece or the switch.
For the time being I pulled the bulbs and put the housing back up there to hold the headliner up

I also was talking to a friend and his family has a few extra cars they are trying to get rid of and one happens to be a Grand Prix...
With a supercharged 3800! So I may be changing directions on the little basket case at some point in the future.
They really can't sell the car for much because there are asthetic problems and it has 160K miles but it was always well maintained.
Sounds like the perfect donor car to me though
I can't put the Fiero in my garage right now with my El Camino; so any major projects will have to happen during the drier summer months.
Thats all well and good because I'd still have to get all the parts and pieces to swap in a new engine and deal with the wiring harness before I start pulling everything apart.

I also think I found a small vacuum leak on the car. It was pretty weird it only leaks when you pump the brakes.
Its not a hose or check valve; I isolated all those and they checked out.
It only causes an idle surge when you pump the brakes, so I'm pretty confident it is the brake booster leaking.
This might explain the spongy brake issue I keep chasing.

I did drive it around my neighborhood and its a blast to drive.
Even with it lowered it handles and feels so much better on the road, even over rough pot holes and stuff its much better now.
Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went ahead and pulled the brake booster this weekend. Its got something inside of it rattling around, is very rusty on the rod that goes to the pedal and when pushing on the rod it makes some funny noises.
The master cylinder is leaking out the rear seal where it bolts to the booster so now I know where my fluid is escaping.

I ordered a new booster and master and should have them by Tuesday!
My goal is to get them installed and get the car up in the air and bleed the bakes again this weekend.

I also still have a slow drain on the battery so I'm going to take the dome light housing out and see if that helps.
I guess I can buy another one on ebay or in the mall here, or I'll try and fix whatever is wrong with this one.
There is also a coolant leak in the rear, I changed the ECM temp sensor and its been leaking since then so that needs to be addressed.

Lots of fun and excitement, its getting really close

Jessica
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can test for a parasitic draw on the battery by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and connecting one end of a test light to the battery and the other end to the battery cable. If the light lights up, there is a draw on the battery. The ECM does draw a little current so disconnect that first. Then pull one fuse out at a time, shut the door, and check if the light goes out. If it doesn't, pull the next fuse, shut the door and see if the light went out. Keep doing that until the light goes out and you would know which circuit the draw is on. Look in the book to see what is on that circuit and check them out.

[This message has been edited by notwohorns (edited 11-30-2015).]

78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2015 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

You can test for a parasitic draw on the battery by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and connecting one end of a test light to the battery and the other end to the battery cable. If the light lights up, there is a draw on the battery. The ECM does draw a little current so disconnect that first. Then pull one fuse out at a time, shut the door, and check if the light goes out. If it doesn't, pull the next fuse, shut the door and see if the light went out. Keep doing that until the light goes out and you would know which circuit the draw is on. Look in the book to see what is on that circuit and check them out.

Thats exactly what I did, except the weird part is the dome light never came on, just the under dash lights did.
So I checked all the door switches and they are good.
Then I went ahead and pulled those bulbs and I was still getting a drain according to the meter.
I pulled the entire map/dome light piece out of the car and tested it and it turns out one of the switches is shorted to ground.
I pulled the bulbs thinking that would fix the drain (temporarily), but there is still a tenth of an amp showing on my meter.
Since it was late and dark I gave up and just pulled the battery out of the car.
I need to pull that dome light piece again and test it more to see if I can fix it.
I just didn't like it out of the car for long because my headliner is really not glued onto the board anymore and that piece holds a lot of it up.

I don't have any obligations or holiday parties this weekend yet so I might have some time and daylight to look at it!

Also not to derail the thread too much, my El Camino is coming along nicely. I got the frame pulled and cleaned up. I took all the suspension off and scraped and pressure washed it.
I'm going to send it out to be blasted so I can start boxing it and then paint it.

Anyways I love this picture the frame just looks insane and huge compared to the Fiero.

Jessica
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock