BMW Cup Holder idea by darbysan
Started on: 12-02-2014 05:53 PM
Replies: 12 (915 views)
Last post by: dobey on 12-05-2014 12:18 PM
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw this while browsing Ebay, and thought it might have some potential.
Cup Holder

I have a 5 speed with short shifter, and am afraid that the cupholders that sit behind the power window switches might be in the way. I was thinking of mounting this forward of the passenger ash tray. Looks like it has a mount that might even attach to the console skeleton. It's expensive, but ...
The mount that fits under the console looks like it has some potential to even fit where where the two passenger side bolts attach under the ash tray, Might have to cut off the bracket that sits at 90 degrees to the main body of the bracket.

Any thoughts? May just end up getting some marine drink holder inserts and putting them between the instrument pod and the dash ( Factory drink location!). Don't want to damage/wear out the dash any more than the 27 years of sun have already accomplished.

------------------
'87 GT in process!

[This message has been edited by darbysan (edited 12-03-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found a new picture of the cupholder installed. Might give a better idea.

------------------
'87 GT in process!

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While this drink holder may hold some validity as a solution it holds one drink in the passenger location. Still better than before but check out TXGOOD 's cup holders that fit on the console . Mikes solution is two cup and looks like it was a standard option.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-03-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

While this drink holder may hold some validity as a solution it holds one drink in the passenger location. Still better than before but check out TXGOOD 's cup holders that fit on the console . Mikes solution is two cup and looks like it was a standard option.

Read the OP again.

I have a 5 speed with short shifter, and am afraid that the cupholders that sit behind the power window switches might be in the way.

I'd have to agree with him. Maybe it's OK for an automatic, but with a manual, I would be knocking any cups over all the time, with my elbow. The factory cup holder in my del Sol is further back, and the seating arrangement is different, but I often have to be careful when shifting, if I've got a drink sitting there.

On the other hand, in the Fiero, if you get a 32oz+ drink, the cup fits nice and snug between the gauge pod and dash. No good for bottles, but I've found 20-24oz bottles can be wedged between the seat and door panel, when necessary.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use lots of solutions. Alone and only one drink my armrest drink holder works great. I also us the Gage Pod solution (a flat piece of metal bent down at both ends then back 90 degrees keeps cans from falling through perfectly) and the "body/center console" solution. here are a few more for thought...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040710-1-034795.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090907-2-087058.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-1-066181.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-1-084112.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-109313.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-1-057608.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...001206-1-001959.html

And there are loads more!!!
Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can't bolt a bracket to the console. It is way too light duty and will fall apart quite quickly. I've had some ideas to make a cup holder something like that but have never taken the time to work on it. Getting old now also. Where's my walker? What did you say?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

You can't bolt a bracket to the console. It is way too light duty and will fall apart quite quickly.

My thought was to bolt it to the skeleton - maybe even use the two holes where the right side of the shifter cover screws to the skeleton, under the ashtray. But you may be right- the plastic may not be strong enough. Maybe further forward, just in front of the radio on the right side?? The bracket is made to attach underneath the console, and the cupholder snaps in/out.

Probably over-thinking this one. Went through the links above, and some great ideas. May work on the one behind the instrument pod- it has potential!

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ever ask yourself why we didn't need cup holders in the 80's???
darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2014 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the 80's I couldn't afford coffee! Besides, if I bought anything to drink in a car back then, it usually had a pop top. For now, living in Vegas, you just don't leave the house without a bottle of water. It becomes a habit.
IMSA/GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA/GTSend a Private Message to IMSA/GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are simple and work really well: http://www.corvetteamerica....0&subcategoryid=X060 .
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Back then we could survive up to 2 hours without drinking something

Today, we seem to carry a drink with us all the time.
PFF
System Bot
IMSA/GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA/GTSend a Private Message to IMSA/GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found a pic of the dual drink holder in my 5 speed: Easy to remove for cleaning in case the slurpee turns into a slopee.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2014 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Flasks fit in jacket pockets just fine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock