Started on: 10-05-2014 10:32 PM
Replies: 77 (4380 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 12-31-2014 10:29 PM
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://detroit.craigslist.o.../cto/4698056255.html

Did I miss something here? And with power steering and the 89 prototype interior?

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-05-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GT wheel, and a glove box, unlike the '89-'90 pics I saw before. Also, notice that the window/mirror switch plate doesn't have extra switches. I wonder if someone fitted their Fiero with spare parts. What's with the overhead console? I see headlight, fog lights, dimmer, defrost controls, but where is the trunk popper?

Only 17K miles. Looks clean & nice, other than left rear tire.

Perhaps a VIN check? Better yet, someone in the area?

It would be nice to see the window sticker & hear the story on this one.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 10-05-2014).]

jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are my eyes messing with me or is that shifter plate made of plywood ? Look next to the door of the ash tray door that is sitting odd itself And listed parts only as in no title and or not able to title as it was never given one from factory like the cars that go to high schools.

[This message has been edited by jetsnvettes2000 (edited 10-05-2014).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would probably need someone to check under the front end with pics.

This could be another power steering 88GT car that slipped away from the factory.

------------------

fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Title Status is "Parts Only". I'm guessing no title? Less than legal parts acquisition?
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering about that be the ash tray myself. I figured it was a lighting angle. Surely it can't be that thick.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a hunch it may be a mule mock up for the 1990.

The dash is like the 1990 and the over head bin could have just been something they were messing with. The wood in not uncommon for a mule mock up as we all know the plastic breaks much too easy if you change things out often.

Since it is for parts there may not be a title a well as no vin. GM on donation cars would remove the vin from the dash but often leave them under the dash on the column or else where.

This one is for sure worth checking out. Even with the low miles and the condition of the interior this is a good find.

Note all the prototype parts I have found were in the Detroit and Ohio area.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Odd that it seems to be in gear with the ignition ”on”.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was some recent discussion about that interior. This is a link from within that discussion. Sofa King was making his own reproduction of the prototype dash.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000107-18.html
pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Headliner is falling down.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That 'plywood' is actually a plastic part of the shift selector indicator. It's mounted to the bottom of the trim plate. It's light colored plastic that can yellow with age.

That's probably a modified Firebird dash. It has a Firebird steering wheel.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 10-06-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seller added a couple of photos that seem to indicate the car was owned by GM for a while

ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I emailed the seller and he replied ...

"The Fiero is a one of a kind that was used by GM to try out the new interior and the power steering it was the 25 car made for the 88 year then was pulled off the line to experiment with the 89 90 changes I have the Michigan certificate of insurance that I found in the car to prove that. You may want to call it an experimental car but if you look at Wikipedia it shows the same dash as a 1986-1990 prototype "

and

"GM experimental cars did not ever have a title and can not be titled according to the stat of Michigan when they give them to executives they are for show or parts only "

I may try to go see the car if I can find the time.
KEV

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I contacted the owner also and asked him about his asking price...well he says he's had offers of $8000 - 10k for it so far. im having a hard time thinking he got those offers and turned them down.

------------------

2014 Chevy Camaro LT RS
2009 Chevy HHR LT
1989 Pontiac Sunbird LE coupe
1985 Fiero GT 3800 N/A ...3800 S/C II still in donor car
1985 Fiero GT 2.8 auto - getting stripped
1985 Fiero SE 3.4 V6 4 spd - wifes
1984 Fiero Indy #1098

fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

It has a Firebird steering wheel.

Am I missing something here? I'm not sitting in my car at this exact moment but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what my steering wheel looks like.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fastblack

3696 posts
Member since Nov 2003

Originally posted by tshark:

Odd that it seems to be in gear with the ignition ”on”.

I imagine that was so they roll it out and take pictures. Maybe the car doesn't run, the ad doesn't exactly go into too much detail on this car.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone asked for the VIN or RPO sheet on this car ..... personally the owner seems to be reading this thread. Also to follow some logic this does not make any sense.... 8k to 10k for a dash and power steering for PARTS only fiero !!! come on I think this smells fishy. This looks like a 3k fiero with 1.5k mods on it... IMHO if he wants to sell it .....Show the facts ..... anyone can produce the papers of insurance this guy is saying belongs to this fiero..... I can have papers made on my fiero that it was manufactured with a V8 ... JK
Please be careful I dont think this is on the up and up ... No Facts No Authentic
regards
Danyel

Edited : Look at the issued date on the certificate ...... in 09/01/89 No fieros were on the production line on that year.... and test were not being done either.... that certificate does not belong to that fiero.....

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 10-06-2014).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

Am I missing something here? I'm not sitting in my car at this exact moment but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what my steering wheel looks like.

I wasn't sitting in mine, either. You're correct. I was thinking the Firebird wrap went almost to the hub on the 3 spokes. Actually the Firebird wrap exposes more of the steel spoke.

Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dunno guys.... if that car has p/s its gotta be something legit..
The radio faceplate/surround to me is the clincher.. where else would you ever find that?? To my knowledge, that was a proto only Fiero item,yes?
Unless someone along the way was making those....
Someone out that way to check it out!!!! And provide some pics!
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indyellowgt:

I dunno guys.... if that car has p/s its gotta be something legit..

I am looking to install PS in my new Widow ...... need pics of the PS unit to see if it looks like the "Real McKoy" but I do agree the cluster looks like the prototypes .... alot of mystery needs to be solved !!

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Danyl, I know little about Canada, but some vehicles seem to be produced/available outside the US longer than inside the US. My understanding is that there was only the one Fiero plant, but I have no first-hand knowledge on way or another. It is of course possible that, if it was a mule, it was kept by GM for a while, but it seems that GM destroys most of those. What the heck was it doing in NY?

Those certificates don't state anything about build date. I don't know how things work with vehicles owned by a manufacturer.

My understanding was that there were 3 Fieros with power steering for the press, but the power steering was removed. I've had some people claim to have seen the units, and there are pics on this thread of a rusty PS rack that looked possible. There may have been one that escaped.

Yes, the seller seems to be reading this thread, which makes me wonder all the more why no pics of other areas of the car, or closeups of the items in question. One would think that anyone who had such a vehicle as this seems to be would be a collector, and an enthusiast. Presumably, with that many miles, the car would have been somewhere and been seen by someone. I would guess that any of us who saw it would certainly speak up at this point. Lots of unanswered questions. I've seen lots of people on here who seem to have joined solely to sell their Fiero. With the high cost of joining this forum, maybe membership here was too pricey for this seller.

That having been said, I'd love to have that center console.

If the seller has those certificates, there must be some other juicy documentation.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 10-06-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How is it possible to put 17,000 miles on a car that cannot be titled and driven on the street?
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

How is it possible to put 17,000 miles on a car that cannot be titled and driven on the street?

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Also to follow some logic this does not make any sense.... 8k to 10k for a dash and power steering for PARTS only fiero !!!

Defnitely . Actually it looks like there are only 4 unique parts and they are bolt-on to the current fiero interior - glove box, center vent, radio surround and instrument pod. maybe 5 if you want the steering wheel .....
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have to look at it but my gut says there is a good chance it is legit.

Here are some things that fit.

GM does interior fits like this in mules and mock ups. So a car like this in no uncommon for GM to make.

It looks right compared to what was being done at the time.

17K Miles can be done as GM may have used it for other testing too like Emissions or even the power steering if so equip on MFG plates. Also who is to say someone just did not slap plates on it.

Most conversations also have Firebird door panels and often other custom features. They just don't stop at the dash.

I would like to see more photos in detail and the power steering if it is really there.

The fact is the car is not really worth much more than any other low mileage 88 even with the parts bases on the prices the GM collection cars went for. Lets face it they went cheap and many for under $20K including the 4 seater.

If there is no vin on the car that can be located it also will limit use of the car that outside looks stock.

If proven legit this car may be worth $10K at best if you can't drive it as while it is low miles it does need some work on the inside and not sure what else may not be complete. It looks like it is sitting odd.

This guy if it is legit should better document this car when presented for sale as this is how you get better money for oddities like this. Just saying it is special means little to a real collector and documentation is the real key.

Also you would want to document it now as if you wait many people from the Fiero program are either long gone or passed away and it is becoming harder to prove what is real or not. It took me over 2 years to get the 1990 emblem authenticated and the engineering drawing of them from GM.

It all comes down to this. You can say you own an Elvis car or you can have photo's of him driving it and his name on the title. You have hard proof and documentation that is where the real value is. The fact is this is a one off car and unless you were at GM at the time you can not say for 100% it is real or fake with no documentation.

While it may be real we have to remember this is still not a real 1990. My buddy has a car similar to this from GM that is a Corvette. It was a Drivetrain mule and even came with a window sticker that say it is not to be sold. He worked for GM and got the car through channels. While it looks stock he has all the documentation and as the car gets older he can provide these documents to prove the car is a little more special than a stock Vette. but it is not like he has a car from the heritage collection with special body or other visual things. It may be worth something to a hard core collector but to the average buyer it means little.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 10-07-2014).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The left rear tire may be the wrong size, making the car sit oddly, but yes, something looks odd.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

It looks like it is sitting odd.

Rear tires smaller than front, no nose badge, and fog lights.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... original post has been deleted?!

I'd bet money on this being legit...

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must've sold.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Manufacturers don't need to title and register test cars. It could have gotten all those miles from being driven by testers at the plant, and/or on the test track.
KEV

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it's sold...
PFF
System Bot
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KEV:

Yes it's sold...

When are you picking it up??
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good job Kev. when you are coming thru Illinois would love to take a peak at it.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I acquired a prototype 88 cradle... it may also have prototype stickers on the rear control arms the same as mine did.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
KEV, please provide us some juicy details. No teasers. PS pics, more interior stuff, documentation, etc.
StreetRod4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations!! Any chance for replicating the interior parts or power steering unit?
Angellightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AngellightningSend a Private Message to AngellightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AWESOME buy. Looking forward to more info.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-07-2014 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by StreetRod4:

Congratulations!! Any chance for replicating the interior parts or power steering unit?

There was someone a while back trying to sell kits for the dash changes (I recall seeing him at Carlisle in 2005 or 2006 I think). I don't think many people, if any, bought a kit though. IIRC, they were a bit on the pricey side, being hand made one-off and all.
RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, KEV, congratulations. What a find. Hopefully you will let me drive it. Good luck with everything.

Fred
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

Wow, KEV, congratulations. What a find. Hopefully you will let me drive it. Good luck with everything.

Fred

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave