Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  URGENT!!! INPUT REQUESTED ASAP!!! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
URGENT!!! INPUT REQUESTED ASAP!!! by Oolab1
Started on: 07-30-2014 11:39 PM
Replies: 63 (1530 views)
Last post by: Oolab1 on 08-04-2014 03:39 PM
Oolab1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm repainting my white 85 SE and can't decide between a medium-dark to neony green, deep blue, or orange. Because I'm a cheap-ass (and saving for college so I just don't have enough money right now for this period), I'll be using about twelve cans of spray paint, some scotch tape, some newspaper and plastic bags, and a steadyish hand for this, so please no obscure colors or difficult techniques and tools. Also I found some of that fancy color-changing paint that's dark blue/purple so I wanna do something with that if possible, but not the whole car because it costs $25 per can, as opposed to the $5.50-8.75 per can for the normal colors. There is roughly 110 sq ft of surface area on the car, and a can of spray paint covers about 8-10 ft. Suggestions. Go.

Also, just because I don't wanna start a whole new thread just for this, anyone else notice the distinct lack of a Fiero lanyard on TFS? I mean lanyards are like the most basic car accessory you can have, and there isn't a Fiero one. Yet there are Fiero pajamas. I mean what the hell are you guys doing over there?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So your do-it-yourself paint job will cost you $125 or so. Put that aside, and when you buy something, don't spend the dollar bills you get for change. Always pay with 5's, 10's, or 20's. Put the 1's into a box and in short order you'll have enough to get a MAACO $250 paint job that will look much better. Well, maybe not much better, but better.

TFS----There may be 1 of 2 reasons.
1. The lanyards are of poorer quality than the pajamas.
2. The Pajamas don't last as long as the lanyards, so they sell more.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

So your do-it-yourself paint job will cost you $125 or so. Put that aside, and when you buy something, don't spend the dollar bills you get for change. Always pay with 5's, 10's, or 20's. Put the 1's into a box and in short order you'll have enough to get a MAACO $250 paint job that will look much better. Well, maybe not much better, but better.

TFS----There may be 1 of 2 reasons.
1. The lanyards are of poorer quality than the pajamas.
2. The Pajamas don't last as long as the lanyards, so they sell more.

And that's very good advice!

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oolab1:

I mean lanyards are like the most basic car accessory you can have, and there isn't a Fiero one.

I have been missing out all these years. What is a Fiero lanyard?

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You attach it to its collar when you take it for a walk so it won't run away.....
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a decoration or badge worn for the purpose of identification. In this case, I took it to mean the Pontiac Chevron or arrowhead that's on the notchback quarterwindows.

Now, I have a lanyard (leash) on my 87 GT and my 86SE 2m6 so they don't run away from me, but I don't have one on the 88 Duke Coupe because it isn't fast enough to run away.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 07-31-2014).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm repainting my white 85 SE and can't decide between a medium-dark to neony green, deep blue, or orange.

Pics of the car as it is now please?
But yes I too say get a cheap car paintjob instead of spray cans. Ina year or so when the can job is flaking off it will have been worth it.
That said I have done some spray can work on beaters, and I have done some with auto parts store mixed auto canned paint.
If you must do spray cans my vote is orange. Make sure to sand well and prime well with a light colored primer.
Keep the moldings black and it will look more natural.

Another thought instead of paint if you just want to jazz up the car, perhaps some graphics with your favorite color of:

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-31-2014).]

Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well sadly mom's not letting me take it to college next year (I'll cross that argument bridge when I come to it) so it doesn't necessarily have to last. Yes it would be nice but it's not super critical. Also I want it done asap, because school is about to start again and I wanna roll up in a kick ass orange Fiero on the first day of my senior year! Besides, I've already stripped and repolished the wheels and redone all the black parts, including the "Fiero 2m6" decal, by hand, so I want it all to be new and matching. Although I would love to hire someone, it just wouldn't work out right now. But that saving plan is a good idea for later on down the road.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a...07-29%2019.28.02.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w...07-29%2019.27.19.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l...07-29%2019.27.35.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x...07-29%2019.27.50.jpg

EDIT: Sorry about the obnoxious links but I can't ever seem to get pictures to work right on my phone.

[This message has been edited by Oolab1 (edited 07-31-2014).]

Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oolab1

81 posts
Member since Apr 2014
Also a lanyard is like one of those things that's a long strap that you put keys on.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/w..._Woelfe_Freiburg.jpg
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oolab1

81 posts
Member since Apr 2014
Oh I forgot to mention. I'm not using just like crappy Wal-Mart spray paint. I'm gonna use like car spray paint from AutoZone followed by maybe a clear coat a little ways down the road too.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's threads like this that remind me how old I am.

There is NO good paint in a spray can!....
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh I forgot to mention. I'm not using just like crappy Wal-Mart spray paint. I'm gonna use like car spray paint from AutoZone followed by maybe a clear coat a little ways down the road too.

This was FKN urgent like an all points bulletin, come on I know you are new and a kid but WTF dude !

Most of us are here because we have and love/hate these cars, after you have yours for a while you will understand that, and like helping others who have these cars and keeping them alive.

So for future reference when asking a question be a little more descriptive with your title, something that really describes what your question is will be a lot more helpful and not piss people off, like ME !

Now back to your URGENT!!! INPUT REQUESTED ASAP!!!

Call Earl Swab or WTF ever his name is or Maaco, something tells me you could get it done a lot better then you ever could do it by either of those places and have a longer lasting better job then you will ever get with a hundred bucks worth of paint cans. Color is your thing, you decide what color you like best and get it done that color, we can not read your mind as to what you like best or is best for you !

As far as TFS store and a lanyard, again WTF Dude if that is the only thing that bugs you in life make one or better yet have your Mom or girlfriend if you have one make you one, just buy a plain one and have her embroider the word Fiero into it if it is really that important to you ! Then you will have what you want and a ONE AND ONLY one ever made, maybe you could even sell them and make you and your Mom, girlfriend some extra cash for your college education, because you obviously need that from the way you talk.

Have you even chosen a major yet??

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 08-02-2014).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are setting yourself up for a LOT of grief down the road by using any type of rattle can paint now. It will ALL have to come off prior to a proper paint job, and that will add considerable time or cost later on.
You asked for good advice - there it is........
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

It's threads like this that remind me how old I am.

There is NO good paint in a spray can!....

I did this a few years ago to a fender and door skin. Let me tell you it came out great, but rattle can painting is expensive. Duplicolor gets expensive.
DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, welcome to the forum.
Second, listen to what’s being said here; don’t waste your money on a do it yourself rattle can paint job as it’s not going to look much better (if not worse) than what you have now and you certainly won’t be “rolling up in anything kick ass” out of a spray can. Yes I’m sure someone with experience might be able to pull off a spray can job if they wanted to but that’s another story. Sorry, no offense meant and not trying to burst your bubble but you asked.
THIRD; you’re going to have to wet sand the entre car prior to painting it to remove the clear coat and to smooth out any imperfections. You’ll want to make sure all the clear is off or the paint won’t stick. That alone will cost you close to a hundred bucks (if not more) when done properly. Good quality sandpaper is expensive and then you need the degreasers, cleaners sanding pads etc etc. Not to mention time.
FOURTH; Keep it white, going from white to orange is going to be more work as you have to take things apart to get every inch of the car or it'll look terrible with areas of white peeking out. Think - creamsicle.
Also, don’t use newspaper when taping off something for paint. Newspaper can be linty and will get minute fuzzes in the paint. I suppose if it’s a rattle can job fuzzes don’t matter but with good paint, use the proper paper or even brown paper bags are better than newspaper as they ae less linty.
I would say the best thing for you to do is go to your local Maaco (or whatever you have in your area) and ask for an estimate. Ask for different prices depending on keeping it white or doing a color swap. You doing the prep or they do it. If they are cool they may work with you or give you some professional advice. Estimates don’t cost anything.
Personally I would keep it white. Orange is fine but to do a color change right you’ll need to disassemble the car and I don’t see that happening right now.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 07-31-2014).]

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Friend of mine painted his Fiero with spray cans. It looks like crap up close. Once I was at his house, & for the first time I was able to look down on it. You can still see the base coat through it.

Now my Fiero also looks like garbage, because I've been waiting to get the paint done correctly. So ... for me : having old faded paint out weights a poor paint job. Just my 2¢
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

Second, listen to what’s being said here; don’t waste your money on a do it yourself rattle can paint job as it’s not going to look much better (if not worse) than what you have now and you certainly won’t be “rolling up in anything kick ass” out of a spray can.

Exactly. The kid who rolls up in the 2014 Mustang (or whatever) he got for his 16th birthday is going to trump a rattle-can painted Fiero. Such is life.

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What the F*&^K You have a good looking car there dont ruin it with a spray bomb.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT
1992 SVX Ls-L
1998 Ford F150 Super Cab V8 4X4
2003 PT Dream Cruser #1801
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

FieroNews

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DIY Fiero Lanyard:

1) Order Fiero pajamas
B: When pajamas arrive, open package, remove contents
3 - Rip the hem off the pajamas (or the waistband, depending on the lanyard length desired)

BAM! You got yourself a Fiero lanyard AND a bitchin pair of pajamas. Be proud!

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 07-31-2014).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, there has been quite a bit of sarcasm here. But in all seriousness, listen to what has been said. People roll their cars for years without paint. It's expensive. But you will be tossing money down the drain with rattle can. Car looks pretty good as is. Better than mine was. Drive the car, and have fun. God knows it will have issues down the road as they all do. When the time is right get a cheap ass Maaco job on it if you feel that is what the car deserves. Or if the car is worthy get a nice panel off job after you save your money. How long have you had this car?
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

This was FKN urgent like an all points bulletin, come one I know you are new and a kid but WTF dude !

Most of us are here because we have and love/hate these cars, after you have yours for a while you will understand that, and like helping others who have these cars and keeping them alive.

So for future reference when asking a question be a little more descriptive with your title, something that really describes what your question is will be a lot more helpful and not piss people off, like ME !

Now back to your URGENT!!! INPUT REQUESTED ASAP!!!

Call Earl Swab or WTF ever his name is or Maaco, something tells me you could get it done a lot better then you ever could do it by either of those places and have a longer lasting better job then you will ever get with a hundred bucks worth of paint cans. Color is your thing, you decide what color you like best and get it done that color, we can not read your mind as to what you like best or is best for you !

As far as TFS store and a lanyard, again WTF Dude if that is the only thing that bugs you in life make one or better yet have your Mom or girlfriend if you have one make you one, just buy a plain one and have her embroider the word Fiero into it if it is really that important to you ! Then you will have what you want and a ONE AND ONLY one ever made, maybe you could even sell them and make you and your Mom, girlfriend some extra cash for your college education, because you obviously need that from the way you talk.

Have you even chosen a major yet??

Steve

Ouch dude. Sorry I offended you somehow it was just meant to be a little joke... Also I have chosen a major. Nuclear engineering. I was asking not because I wanted you to read my mind but because I couldn't decide which would look better and I thought more experienced people could give me some advice based on their higher level of experience. I get that a spray job would be crappy but I just already sprayed the other parts and they seemed to turn out ok so I wasn't sure.

Now that I've calmly said that I would like to get a little pissed off myself. What gives you the right to come in here and tell me how much I do or do not love my car? It's just about the most important thing to me right now. Just because you all may have had more Fieros or had them for longer doesn't mean you love them more. This is my first car. I worked my first job and spent all of my own hard earned cash to buy it from my best friend's dad. I've since spent almost every last dollar I've earned that's not for college on her, either in gas or repairs. I would sooner total my mom's new RAV 4 before I even lost a headlight on my baby. So don't even try to tell me that you love yours so much more.

The rest of you, thank you for the advice. I thought there might be a way to make it look good with spray paint, or that AutoZone would have a different kind. I just spent my last paycheck on the cat replacement so I haven't even touched the paint yet. Based on the vehemence with which everyone opposes the idea I think I'll just save for a professional job.
PFF
System Bot
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What you can't see in the picture is that about every inch of the edge of every panel is chipped off. The whole thing is faded and brown. I agree it most definitely could look worse, but I was just excited to get working on it. I mean time isn't an issue cuz I have several full days in a row to take as long as I need, and I'm willing to put in the time to do it right.

And there seems to be a misunderstanding here. I don't give a single duck about the lack of a lanyard. I was just pointing it out cuz I thought it was kinda funny how they lack a basic accessory. Though the pajama idea isn't bad...
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PLEASE do not make the same mistake I made when i got drunk and spray painted my car with my friends, it just looks like crap and will cause more problems for you when you go to get an actual paint job.....
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If my rich friend lends me his actual paint gun and stuff would you recommend I try my hand at that myself? I've looked into local paint shops and already asked around at some of the car shops around town but there doesn't really seem to be a paint shop around here. Just like a touch up collision place...
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If my rich friend lends me his actual paint gun and stuff would you recommend I try my hand at that myself? I've looked into local paint shops and already asked around at some of the car shops around town but there doesn't really seem to be a paint shop around here. Just like a touch up collision place...

No... save your money and wait... dude archiving your dream car is not something that comes easy or cheap. here was a breakdown of my very 1st fiero build. all in all outside of the cost of the car (which equated to about $700) I had about $3500 into this car im about to show you that's including my spray paint stupidity.

Here was the car when I bought it, 87 Gt needed a little work but more or less ready to roll

this came when me and my friends got drunk one night and I got hit with the "do it you wont". It was a disaster. over spray everywhere and it looked like complete crap,

Saved up my money and did not spare a dime as to what a 21 year old dude had with a piss poor job and I created this (remember this was about $3500 into it and it was a macco paint job

Save your money, I don't own this car anymore but I still get questions about it every now and than. it just goes to show you the difference between spending $200 on your car for a cheap short cut and saving your money for a couple of months and doing something that makes an impact. This forum is full of this concept and even the projects i have now should say it.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 07-31-2014).]

Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I know I know. Haha I'm sorry I'm just really excited. I love this thing so much ya know?

Nice car btw...
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ouch dude. Sorry I offended you somehow it was just meant to be a little joke... Also I have chosen a major. Nuclear engineering. I was asking not because I wanted you to read my mind but because I couldn't decide which would look better and I thought more experienced people could give me some advice based on their higher level of experience. I get that a spray job would be crappy but I just already sprayed the other parts and they seemed to turn out ok so I wasn't sure.

Now that I've calmly said that I would like to get a little pissed off myself. What gives you the right to come in here and tell me how much I do or do not love my car? It's just about the most important thing to me right now. Just because you all may have had more Fieros or had them for longer doesn't mean you love them more. This is my first car. I worked my first job and spent all of my own hard earned cash to buy it from my best friend's dad. I've since spent almost every last dollar I've earned that's not for college on her, either in gas or repairs. I would sooner total my mom's new RAV 4 before I even lost a headlight on my baby. So don't even try to tell me that you love yours so much more.

The rest of you, thank you for the advice. I thought there might be a way to make it look good with spray paint, or that AutoZone would have a different kind. I just spent my last paycheck on the cat replacement so I haven't even touched the paint yet. Based on the vehemence with which everyone opposes the idea I think I'll just save for a professional job.

OOOH Sorry I hurt your feelings and so sorry you have chosen Nuclear anything as your major, God help us all if you ever get a job in that field with your do it now attitude. Something a very old friend of mine said a very long time ago comes to mind right now.

"These things take time!"

For you to waste the time and money on a rattle can job only to have it fade and peal away a year or less down the road is what my experience tells me. I have grandkids your age now so I understand that you want it to look good RIGHT NOW! But what you don't understand is what others have said the cost of the paint is only part of the entire job when you paint a car, and in many cases the smallest part money wise. As many others here have already said like Fierofool, 2.5, Gall757, olejoedad, solotwo, DLCLK87GT, no2pencil, css9450, Fiero Thomas, Jason88Notchie, have said is all true. you will, if you want it to stick and stay spend at least what you will in paint that much more and then some on the other incidentals, sand paper, masking tape, thinners, that go along with a paint job will double your estimate on the cost of your rattle can paint job IF you do it right. Depending on the color you chose will also affect the cost of the paint as well, some colors are way more expensive than others.

You asked for experienced advise you got it.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 08-01-2014).]

DLCLK87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Now that I've calmly said that I would like to get a little pissed off myself. .

Don’t get too worked up over what some people say on here. As with any online forum some are here to help, other to stir the pot.

If my rich friend lends me his actual paint gun and stuff would you recommend I try my hand at that myself? ...

You can but even a do it yourself paint job isn’t going to be cheap, not to mention if you screw it up and have to do it twice (don't ask ). First you will need access to a good compressor and then if you do, you can get a decent spray gun from Harbor Fright for about $50. You’ll also need some inline desiccant filters and air pressure controller and of course a respirator. A good primer is PPG Epoxy primer and for paint, DuPont Nason paint and clear is inexpensive and will give you good results. That will run you about $250. Home Depot sells paper for masking off your work too. But your paint job will only be as good as your prep work is so as I said before, you’ll need to wet sand the whole car down to the original primer/color. Don’t use any strippers, just sandpaper and elbow grease. For the best results you’ll want to disassemble the car; remove the fenders, rockers, hood, deck lid …everything except the roof and rear clip. Sand them down, prime, paint, reassemble and enjoy!
Also, with any question you may have use the “search” function in the upper RH corner and you’ll find all sorts of info because you’re probably not the first person to ask.
here's a link to another members post that i found very helpful. [url] http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=469.0 [/url]

Edit to add; i followed Pauls (aka ThaDriver) advice and for the most part it came out great...well except for a couple areas that i put the clear on too thin and it looked like crap so i got pissed and sanded it all off again. It had alot to do with what 84Fiero123 said and i wanted it done NOW, tried to paint too much at once and paid the price. Oh well, lesson learned. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 08-01-2014).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oolab1, you came here as you said, for the advice of some older and more experienced people. Many of them have spoken up, each in their own manner. Being new to the forum, you aren't familiar with how each of us come across. Whatever our manner, we are here, like you, to make these cars the best we can and to help others do the same.

Also, being new to the forum, you probably aren't really familiar with the Peer Ratings Bar at the left under your username. It takes a few ratings from registered members before your bar shows up. Something else you may not know is that even before that ratings bar shows up, you can get banned.

We all want you to stay around. Everyone is offering help and some day you will be able to give help to someone else, either from what you already know, what you learn from the forum and ownership of a Fiero, or even a How-To do an install of your new compact nuclear fueled engine tht you've just dropped into your Fiero.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Oolab1, you came here as you said, for the advice of some older and more experienced people. Many of them have spoken up, each in their own manner. Being new to the forum, you aren't familiar with how each of us come across. Whatever our manner, we are here, like you, to make these cars the best we can and to help others do the same.

Also, being new to the forum, you probably aren't really familiar with the Peer Ratings Bar at the left under your username. It takes a few ratings from registered members before your bar shows up. Something else you may not know is that even before that ratings bar shows up, you can get banned.

We all want you to stay around. Everyone is offering help and some day you will be able to give help to someone else, either from what you already know, what you learn from the forum and ownership of a Fiero, or even a How-To do an install of your new compact nuclear fueled engine tht you've just dropped into your Fiero.

Ayup I can be a little harsh on people at times here as Charlie and most of the older members know, so don't take what I say to heart or the wrong way. I am and old guy, well not as old as Charlie, Fierofool but still up there 59 and to be honest I hate painting cars, it is all preparation and no H ! In other words it is a royal Pain in the ass and if you don't do all the prep exactly right you end up with a crappy paintjob in places and sometimes all over. For example if you did borrow your friends compressor and paint gun you are also going to have to make absolutely sure there is no oil or water in the air with filters and not just one on the compressor, you also need disposable filters right on the gun itself our you can end up with fisheyes in the paint, talk about a newbie mistake, that's one you will regret every time you look at your paint everyday until you can afford to redo the job right.

We really are here to help

Steve
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oolab1, don't take the bait some people lay out for you. Just ignore them.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Exactly. The kid who rolls up in the 2014 Mustang (or whatever) he got for his 16th birthday is going to trump a rattle-can painted Fiero. Such is life.

Eh, I don't know about that:

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah I know I know. Haha I'm sorry I'm just really excited. I love this thing so much ya know?

Nice car btw...

thank you, ive moved onto more in depth projects but that car is still one of my favorite builds

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 on the fact that it will look worse with the rattle can paint.

Don't take your car to college. This is from someone who did it.

Finally don't let the trolls light you up. Actually when I first read your post I thought you were a troll because I knew you would get this response. Your post reminds me about the joke about the two bulls standing on the cliff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHcoMMaW2ZU - Remember that older generation sometimes have good ideas.

Remember in 30 years you will be old, experienced and willing to trade it all just to be young and "inexperienced" all over again.

You could always plastic-dip it and pull it off later.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-01-2014).]

Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah sorry I wasn't having a very good day and took it a little harshly. I hear what you're all saying and again I'm not gonna do it. Thanks for helping me avoid a big regret.

And as for the mustang thing... there is a kid in a mustang. He came up to me one day and commented on how much he loved this thing. Fiero 1, mustang 0.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-02-2014 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm repainting my white 85 SE and can't decide between a medium-dark to neony green, deep blue, or orange. Because I'm a cheap-ass (and saving for college so I just don't have enough money right now for this period), I'll be using about twelve cans of spray paint, some scotch tape, some newspaper and plastic bags, and a steadyish hand for this, so please no obscure colors or difficult techniques and tools. Also I found some of that fancy color-changing paint that's dark blue/purple so I wanna do something with that if possible, but not the whole car because it costs $25 per can, as opposed to the $5.50-8.75 per can for the normal colors. There is roughly 110 sq ft of surface area on the car, and a can of spray paint covers about 8-10 ft. Suggestions. Go.

First of all, as others have not so directly said, if you want a respectful response, post a respectful thread title/question. Claiming urgency in the title and then asking how to best paint a car with rattle cans, is disrespectful to those who do have the knowledge to answer you.

Now, let's simplify your problem a little. Let's say, for the sake of simplicity, that you pick a color that is $6 per can, and clearcoat and primer are also both $6 per can. Let's also say for simplicity that you want a reasonably good finish to the paint, and that the 10 sq ft area the can covers, is 2 coats. You're going to need a lot more than just those 12 cans of paint. You're going to need prep work. If there's any body damage, you'd also want to fix it. Those can both add significant time and cost to the project. With reasonably good prep, you should be ok with 2 coats of primer, so 12 cans should cover that. Then you'll probably want at least 4 coats for the color, so that's 24 cans. You'll also want about 4 coats of clear. That's another 24 cans.

So (24 + 24 + 12) * $6 = $360. That's just for the paint, and assumes you do a perfect job the first time. If you make mistakes or junk gets caught in the paint, you'll need to wet sand after it dries, and try again. You'd want to do the paint job in a covered and well ventilated area, to avoid stuff falling into the paint.

If you don't care about quality, then sure 12 cans of flat black with minimal prep might look ok from 30 ft away.
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

If you don't care about quality, then sure 12 cans of flat black with minimal prep might look ok from 30 ft away.

LOL I see a lot of those! Usually its Mom's old Accord, painted flat black and nothing was masked. Overspray on the taillights, license plate, etc...

wayneman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for waynemanSend a Private Message to waynemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sell car to someone who loves fieros and buy a nice used mountain bike on CL.

I'm cheap too. That is why I'm waiting till I can afford a 6k paint job and find someone I trust not to F@#$ it up.

PS I rattle can painted a 77 honda cvcc.. sky blue….it still rusted
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wayneman:

Sell car to someone who loves fieros and buy a nice used mountain bike on CL.

I'm cheap too. That is why I'm waiting till I can afford a 6k paint job and find someone I trust not to F@#$ it up.

PS I rattle can painted a 77 honda cvcc.. sky blue….it still rusted

c'mon wayneman...kid just wants his car to look good for the time being cause he likes his car. But I think he got the point.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock