Well it's been a while. I haven't posted anything to this forum in a few years. Life got busy. I sold my last Fiero in the fall of 2009 but soon had another in the spring of 2011.
This time around I picked up an 86 GT with 125,000kms on it that needed a bit of work, but not a lot. Here she is the first day after I drove her home from Niagara Falls(400km trip).
It actually looks pretty good in that picture, but up close the paint was terrible. Peeling clear coat and deep swirl marks made it look really bad.
So after doing some research and financial calculations I decided I would give the old roll-on paint job a try. I figured it would be a neat experiment and if it didn't work out, I would only be about $100. So I set out to pick up supplies and started sanding. Sanding became the bane of my existence. If there was one thing I underestimated with the project, it was how much sanding is needed.
My first test piece was my front passenger side fender. I decided that since I had two of them, if I totally screwed this one up, I would just throw it out. I also figured since it was one of the more complex body shapes on the car it would be a good test to see if I had the dexterity to pull it off. It went phenomenally well.
There was little to no orange peel after the first two coats. For those of you who dont know the process goes: Roll on two coats, sand out orange peel with 400 grit, roll on two coats, sand smooth with 600 grit, roll on two coats, sand with 800, 1000 then 2000, then polish to a mirror shine. So I finished the fender and moved onto the roof section.
After my first coat on the roof section I realised that I was getting lots of... grapefruit peel, my paint was clearly laying down as if it was textured. I experimented with the paint to thinner ratio in the next few coats to try to reduce the amount of sanding I needed to do. It worked really well.
I finished off the doors and rear lower sections with a much thinner mixture. It smoothed out so much better and allowed me to only have to do minimal sanding on the subsequent coats.
And this last picture here is the final coat on my roof section. The paint in this picture is still tacky, but this is exactly how it dried, its glossy and free of orange peel.
I'll keep updating if people are interested to see how the rest of the car turns out. Sorry for the quality of the photos I'm too lazy to get my actual camera out.