The answer! (Do 245/45 r 18's fit?) by LeeR
Started on: 03-08-2014 07:10 PM
Replies: 9 (525 views)
Last post by: LeeR on 03-10-2014 09:51 PM
LeeR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay so first of all, my car is still not on the road yet as I am still working on getting her street worthy. Lol, not sure why, but the pictures of my car look waaaay better that in person!

So I posted this question a few days ago, this is the link: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/093594.html

First, here's all the necessary info...These wheels are 18x8 with a 35mm offset. The front tires are 245/40 r18 and the rear tires are 245/45 r18. I got these wheels and tires at a pretty good price and for some reason I REALLY like the way theses wheels look. I'm usually more wheels with a deeper lip, but I guess there's a first for everything!

I put the rims and tires on my car today and here is what I found. The fronts fit fine, the rear tires however rub very slightly on the bottom of the rear coil. Actually, they are not rubbing the coil, but the rubber seat that the bottom of the coil sits in sticks out about 1/8th on an inch past the bottom of the coil and that's what it is rubbing against. The car still rolls easily and a 1/4 inch spacer will fix that issue easily. I usually don't like spacers, but 1/4 inch should not cause any problems at all.

Over-all, I really like the way the wheel fit the car @ stock height. the actually bring the car up off the ground a little but it's hard to tell. When it's time for new tires I may go down one size in the front and rear, but we will see how these do for now.

Here are some pics!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does look very good with those wheels. You planning on paint them? Hope not. Have you tried turning the wheels full lock to see if they scrub? That should be your guide to front tire size,
LeeR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

It does look very good with those wheels. You planning on paint them? Hope not. Have you tried turning the wheels full lock to see if they scrub? That should be your guide to front tire size,

I actually plan on painting the car matte black and the wheels gloss black. I turned the wheels without driving the cat and it seemed good, but I should probably drive her down the street and check it out like that! Thanks!
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running the same size wheel/tire combo on my 88 coupe and they work great. I have coil overs in the rear so no rubbing issues.
Those wheels look good on your car.
------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project, Super Duty 4 swap

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 03-08-2014).]

LeeR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

I'm running the same size wheel/tire combo on my 88 coupe and they work great. I have coil overs in the rear so no rubbing issues.
Those wheels look good on your car.

Nice! I may switch to coil over at some point.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would you mind getting that white car out of the way of the scenery??? Lol!
After 3 months of white stuff covering everything around here those green scenes look pretty inviting!
LeeR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Snow? What's that??? Lol, I'd like to play around in the snow for maybe a day but that would be enough for me!
FieroBobo

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LeeR:

Snow? What's that???
Lol, I'd like to play around in the snow for maybe a day but that would be enough for me!

I'm assuming your on Oahu.
If you want to see snow without going too far, you can take a quick plane ride to "The Big Island",
I'm pretty sure that they'll probably still have snow on the top of Mauna Kea, (13,800 ft above sea level).

P.S. Congrats on living in one of America's most beautiful states.

~ Bob ~

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm using the same size rear tire. It's a good size and wouldn't go smaller. Your fronts could go down to a 225/45r17 like mine, but I doubt the sidewall will change at all. I'm also on coil overs front and rear, dropping it will give you a better idea about what size tire is best in the long run. 245 will rub if you drop it. The front inner fenders don't much like wide tires when it's lowered.

Best of luck!
Chase.
LeeR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeRSend a Private Message to LeeREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBobo:

I'm assuming your on Oahu.
If you want to see snow without going too far, you can take a quick plane ride to "The Big Island",
I'm pretty sure that they'll probably still have snow on the top of Mauna Kea, (13,800 ft above sea level).

P.S. Congrats on living in one of America's most beautiful states.

~ Bob ~

Lol, I'm from Hilo on the Big Island, that's how I know I can handle the snow for about a day! And while I agree, it is very beautiful here, the prices for EVERYTHING here make it hard for us locals to to continue to live here and raise a family!!

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

I'm using the same size rear tire. It's a good size and wouldn't go smaller. Your fronts could go down to a 225/45r17 like mine, but I doubt the sidewall will change at all. I'm also on coil overs front and rear, dropping it will give you a better idea about what size tire is best in the long run. 245 will rub if you drop it. The front inner fenders don't much like wide tires when it's lowered.

Best of luck!
Chase.

Thanks for the info! I may have to try making a rear coil over set-up. I saw the DIY here on the forums, how do you like it?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock