Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  If you're interested in new ABS interior door skins...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
If you're interested in new ABS interior door skins... by Leeloo88
Started on: 01-20-2014 09:08 AM
Replies: 21 (1111 views)
Last post by: carbon on 01-29-2014 02:34 PM
Leeloo88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Leeloo88Send a Private Message to Leeloo88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello everybody, long time no see.

I saw today that the Fierostore made the following interior door panels. http://www.fierostore.com/P.../Detail.aspx?s=92050 NOSPEAKER&d=170&p=1

First off are they any good? I don't know about you all but mine are starting to show their age and could use replacement. Ideally I'd like a stock board but I'd take ABS plastic. I don't really care to have the speakers though. When I asked if they made them to match the stock version without speakers they said that if there was enough interest that they'd build it. I'm interested, but just one guy, if anybody else is interested please send them an email and lets see if we can get them made. I'm willing to wait and see if they'll go forth with the project, if they do great, if not I'll have to find some other way to replace my aging boards.

------------------
Four Fans of Freedom
"Fiero Fugit"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had molded ABS door panels on my Ferrari kit. I just painted them with a fake vinyl look finish. They held up fine for 7 years, and I liked the look. I dont remember for sure, but think I got them from Pisa.
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would do the speakers. A pair of 6.5 components will make a huge difference in your system.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Leeloo88:

Hello everybody, long time no see.

I saw today that the Fierostore made the following interior door panels. http://www.fierostore.com/P.../Detail.aspx?s=92050 NOSPEAKER&d=170&p=1

First off are they any good? I don't know about you all but mine are starting to show their age and could use replacement. Ideally I'd like a stock board but I'd take ABS plastic. I don't really care to have the speakers though. When I asked if they made them to match the stock version without speakers they said that if there was enough interest that they'd build it. I'm interested, but just one guy, if anybody else is interested please send them an email and lets see if we can get them made. I'm willing to wait and see if they'll go forth with the project, if they do great, if not I'll have to find some other way to replace my aging boards.

Hey have you considered the panels that russttop offers in the mall that cover the carpet portion of the door panel? He will cover them in vinyl and can pleat them and stuff. Might be a solution if your not wanting to install speakers.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think those are brand new to the Fierostore, I got an email recently saying they were now offered.

Leeloo88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Leeloo88Send a Private Message to Leeloo88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't seen Russttops panels, that might be a solution. I was thinking that I'd have to modify these by cutting out the speaker holes and filling them in and smoothing them out... but with that much work involved it probably would be easier to just make a new set completely even with my very limited fiberglass experience. I really just wanted to cover a basic pair with the tops in a grey leather or vinyl and do the bottoms in carpet to match the stock ones.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you just want to fix the worn out cardboard backing from the stock panels, you might do well to grab some 1/4" MDF from your local Lowes or Home Depot, cut to shape, and re-attach the molded top portion to the MDF, and apply carpet, vinyl, or whatever material you wish.

It's a fair bit of work to do, though.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a link to the door panel covers Russ88ttop sells.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/061470.html

I haven't personally purchased any of his stuff yet, but I have a long wish list for him when I can afford it. I've seen his products in other people's cars at shows, very nice stuff.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I haven't seen Russttops panels, that might be a solution. I was thinking that I'd have to modify these by cutting out the speaker holes and filling them in and smoothing them out... but with that much work involved it probably would be easier to just make a new set completely even with my very limited fiberglass experience. I really just wanted to cover a basic pair with the tops in a grey leather or vinyl and do the bottoms in carpet to match the stock ones.

You do know the Fiero Store sells them without the speaker holes as well right?

Part #92050 NOSPEAKER - Price:$199.95

vs.

Part #92050 SPEAKER - Price:$259.95
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

You do know the Fiero Store sells them without the speaker holes as well right?

Part #92050 NOSPEAKER - Price:$199.95

vs.

Part #92050 SPEAKER - Price:$259.95

Nope. With and without speakers included so you can purchase the speakers of your choice separately. I think they are fugly looking.

Jonathan

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that what they meant?? LOL I only looked at them in the grid view...

That is terrible. They'd sell more without the holes...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 01-21-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Leeloo88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Leeloo88Send a Private Message to Leeloo88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I bit off on the with and without speakers thing too, read it and couldn't believe there wasn't a "normal" option. I agree that they'd sell more if they were just stock repro's. Allows people with crank windows to play, pockets, plain stock… whatever you'd like. Maybe they'll see that there are plenty of people that would like them standard.

------------------
Four Fans of Freedom
"Fiero Fugit"

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah I bit off on the with and without speakers thing too, read it and couldn't believe there wasn't a "normal" option. I agree that they'd sell more if they were just stock repro's. Allows people with crank windows to play, pockets, plain stock… whatever you'd like. Maybe they'll see that there are plenty of people that would like them standard.

Tell them about this thread. They have someone on PFF, but usually they just announce some special deals or things.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Tell them about this thread. They have someone on PFF, but usually they just announce some special deals or things.

They have a thread in the Mall. I posted a link to this thread.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...068220.html#lastpost

Jonathan
rennoc442

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rennoc442Send a Private Message to rennoc442Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I as well would love a stock looking set since I already plan to use 5.25 components in the dash. Let's see who else will chime in.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could put a set of 3 way separates in. 6.5 inch in the door, tweeter and 4 or 5 inch in the dash for even better sound. I like the the way they did the panels though i think a less monochromatic picture would do better. Maybe, a finished product wrapped and with speaker installed would give a better idea as to what they look like finished. It would also be nice to have a set of ones for those who have crank windows or just want the pocket.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 01-22-2014).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got mine in the mail. Quick shipping. Love them, I was really surprised by how thick they were, there is no flex in them at all, you can actually hold on to one corner of them, hold them horizontal and they will not sag at all. Only issue I have is that one of them is high gloss black and has a lower "grain" look and the other is more of a satin black and has a high degree of "grain". Not sure it matters but it is obvious when you look at them. They look very straight, no bow in them and overall all they look awesome.

Thanks Fiero Store.

Rob

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Just got mine in the mail. Quick shipping. Love them, I was really surprised by how thick they were, there is no flex in them at all, you can actually hold on to one corner of them, hold them horizontal and they will not sag at all. Only issue I have is that one of them is high gloss black and has a lower "grain" look and the other is more of a satin black and has a high degree of "grain". Not sure it matters but it is obvious when you look at them. They look very straight, no bow in them and overall all they look awesome.

Thanks Fiero Store.

Rob

Think they are heavier or lighter than stock ones? Maybe same?
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Think they are heavier or lighter than stock ones? Maybe same?

hmmm... not sure, if I had to guess, heavier but we are not talking much. They are solid. when I picked them up by the hole for the door latch, you could feel that the panel was solid, no flex at all. I was not worried at all by carrying them around that way. The back side is hollow but they have doubled up the area around each of the plastic "push clips", I don't think i'll ever worry about tearing one of those, or having the metal clip rip out of the cardboard. They even include a full set of new clips.

To be honest, these are made much better than i was hoping for. My first thought was to cut off the lower portion and mount them on the doors along with the uppers that I already have on the car. I built my own "speaker pod" lower panels and they look like crap. It was my first attempt using the "fleece and resin" method that you see on UTube. Since my doors are already "two parts" my thought was to cut these in half and put the lower part on my car. Now I'm not so sure. Since they are better than I thought they would be, now I have to rethink my plan.

Rob
FieroStore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroStoreClick Here to visit FieroStore's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroStoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rennoc442:

I as well would love a stock looking set since I already plan to use 5.25 components in the dash. Let's see who else will chime in.

Since there appears to be some demand for stock panels, we're doing our best to make that happen. We've already test fit a prototype and everything looks good. We hope to receive probably no more than 5 sets of stock panels in the next few weeks. Price will be the same ($199.95/pair). We will post them to our web site as soon as they arrive. These 5 sets were made at the end of our first stock order. Since we have to order 50 sets a time, we probaby won't make more until we sell more of the speaker panels.
Leeloo88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Leeloo88Send a Private Message to Leeloo88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A prototype?!?! Already? Thats one fast R&D department you've got there. If you've got pics of the testing I'd be very interested in watching you guys work. Especially given the good review about the stiffness and quality of the speaker board, my potato chips have seen better days, but the bubblegum is holding thus far.

------------------
Four Fans of Freedom
"Fiero Fugit"

PFF
System Bot
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroStore:

Since there appears to be some demand for stock panels, we're doing our best to make that happen. We've already test fit a prototype and everything looks good. We hope to receive probably no more than 5 sets of stock panels in the next few weeks. Price will be the same ($199.95/pair). We will post them to our web site as soon as they arrive. These 5 sets were made at the end of our first stock order. Since we have to order 50 sets a time, we probaby won't make more until we sell more of the speaker panels.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock