Firebird/trans am dash swap near east TN by linuxpowered88
Started on: 07-28-2013 08:14 AM
Replies: 18 (1075 views)
Last post by: larini74 on 08-09-2013 07:36 PM
linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone done this swap near or in East TN. Would anyone be willing to assist me in exchange for cash / beer / other services? I dont have any parts yet just trying to see if help is out there (not a fiberglass kinda guy) and cost. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
larini74

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a '96 Firebird dash in storage right now. It is in excellent shape, the airbag was not deployed.
linuxpowered88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what do you want for it and are you near Jacksonville fl by chance?
linuxpowered88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

linuxpowered88

1220 posts
Member since Sep 2007
Also do you have the doors etc. Sorry i want to swap the whole interior
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are not a fiberglass type of guy the doors are going to be the hardest part...they don't just bolt on...you have to cut about a foot off of them and make your own ends out of fiberglass to make it look right. I would suggest start with the dash and work your way towards the entire interior.

The dash practically just bolts in, with some trimming needed for the piece between the windshield and the dash.

But make no mistake the firebird interior is a lot of work. Check out this thread in the construction zone...everything you need to know is in there. if you have any questions PM me and I will help you personally by email. Thanks..
- Jonathan

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000119-27.html

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you the guy with the red bumperpad notchie at the Sears Auto Center?

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am in middle Tennessee but I am doing a c5 interior in my N* once I finish up on suspension... I got all the parts just not the time.

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

I am in middle Tennessee but I am doing a c5 interior in my N* once I finish up on suspension... I got all the parts just not the time.

Are you planning on using the C5 gauges? That's kind of tricky since the data is all digital.
linuxpowered88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Are you the guy with the red bumperpad notchie at the Sears Auto Center?

Nope im an 88 formula with a v8 swap and dropped. just looking to make it look better now it goes.
linuxpowered88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

linuxpowered88

1220 posts
Member since Sep 2007

Originally posted by jscott1:

If you are not a fiberglass type of guy the doors are going to be the hardest part...they don't just bolt on...you have to cut about a foot off of them and make your own ends out of fiberglass to make it look right. I would suggest start with the dash and work your way towards the entire interior.

The dash practically just bolts in, with some trimming needed for the piece between the windshield and the dash.

But make no mistake the firebird interior is a lot of work. Check out this thread in the construction zone...everything you need to know is in there. if you have any questions PM me and I will help you personally by email. Thanks..
- Jonathan

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000119-27.html

Thanks for the information. This is why im seeking help. I can fix anything that moves but fiberglass is an art. Nice to know a real fiero owner (not just a daily driver owner) in the area.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Are you planning on using the C5 gauges? That's kind of tricky since the data is all digital.

gutting a c5. cluster and using the firebird motors behind c5 panel.. or atleast attempt it.... I will have to calibrate the speedio if can make it all work, do not see why it will not but have to get firebird cluster I am waiting onn c5 cluster. should have it. wednessday.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

gutting a c5. cluster and using the firebird motors behind c5 panel.. or atleast attempt it.... I will have to calibrate the speedio if can make it all work, do not see why it will not but have to get firebird cluster I am waiting onn c5 cluster. should have it. wednessday.

Gutting the c5 cluster and using firebird motors is going to be problematic. I had both in my hands and considered trying that, but the problem is that the C5 gauges are 180 degree sweep. The Firebird are 90 degree sweep. I suppose it possible to recalibrate that somehow but it exceeded my ability or desire to try. I looked through every type of cluster I could and nothing else uses 180 degree sweep. Thanks GM!

Almost nothing in the C5 cluster works the same as firebird or fiero so it's a hard thing to do. Not that it can't be done but not easily. The early 4th gen camaro cluster is a better swap for the C5 dash.

Here's some discussion and a few pics remaining of the Camaro cluster in the C5 dash.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...-1-064125-3.html#p88

There was some talk of getting the C5 cluster itself to work in the Fiero, but I don't think it ever went anywhere.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 07-29-2013).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Originally posted by linuxpowered88:

Thanks for the information. This is why im seeking help. I can fix anything that moves but fiberglass is an art. Nice to know a real fiero owner (not just a daily driver owner) in the area.

I know I jumped in the middle here between two Tennesseans but to be clear I am in the Houston area.
larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am 2 hours from Jacksonville, just east of Tampa. I paid $400.00 for it. I'd like to get that much for it. It is dark grey/black in color. It's not easy finding a dash without the passenger air bag having been deployed.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by larini74:

I am 2 hours from Jacksonville, just east of Tampa. I paid $400.00 for it. I'd like to get that much for it. It is dark grey/black in color. It's not easy finding a dash without the passenger air bag having been deployed.

The airbag deployed is no big deal. In fact it's better that way because you don't really want pyrotechnics sitting in your dash if you don't need it. My dash originally had an undeployed airbag, and I eventually removed it and put an amp there in that spot.
larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no airbag, but the dash is still in one piece. I also have the console.
linuxpowered88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has any of the work been done to make this go in or is it other than the air bag still stock? Also does the price include center console?
larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing has been done to the dash, it is as it came out of the Firebird.
larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock