Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any interest in ridding your tailights of delamination? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any interest in ridding your tailights of delamination? by Tony Kania
Started on: 07-04-2012 12:40 PM
Replies: 66 (4234 views)
Last post by: PARAD0X on 07-06-2017 06:40 PM
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2012 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update: 11/11/15 @ 1:42pm PT

A "How To" section will soon follow. This will include disassembly, packing and shipping, and other questions asked.

Lens repair is becoming a viable option. Certain cracks can be fixed currently by me. Working on solutions for cracks in the lens portion. clarity is the issue.

New price is $250 to paint and polish a set of disassembled GT lenses only. An assembled set shipped will add $100 for dis assembly, cleaning, sealing and reassembly.

Customer will pay shipping and any insurances for shipping both ways.

Customer will use either Post Office, FedEx, or UPS. All local, and close for me.

Pack them like it was the last lenses in the world. I have used up several of my spare lenses due to improper packing. I also lost one to the shipper mangling the box. I just do not have enough lenses to replace all scenarios. I will pack into shipped box accordingly. Actually, I will provide all the care available, but additional packing materials may be needed, and will be added to the cost of the lenses if deemed excessive. Full details with pictures will always be made available if/when a shipping problem occurs.

Figure two weeks to a full month from the time I receive the lenses, to shipment back to the customer.

I cannot repair cracks, large chips, or damaged lenses. These are OLD. Be careful.

Take pics of your lenses before shipping. I will take pics upon receiving.

Notchie Lense Owners

I have been asked many times about refinishing sets for this crowd. I can and will polish lenses. I am not sure about pricing, but figure for a general polishing under $100. Not a set price, so shout at me what you feel is correct. Perhaps in the $150 range for a respray and polish. Shoot out some numbers, and I will work with the Notchie crowd. I have many sets of Notchie lenses, and will be working on some cleaning up, polishing, and probably creating a few custom sets for sale.

Tony

.........................................................................................................
Hi all,

I have a proposition for many of you. I have recently redone a set of GT tails, and also did mine several years back following IMSA GT's thread... //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/074495-2.html . An excellent writeup. Well, it seems that I know what I am doing, so I would like to offer to refinish your GT taillight lenses. I redid my own lenses several years back, and cannot be any happier with the outcome. They still are holding up quite well, and I get many comments on how good the lenses still look.

I can get started immediately. What I am thinking, is that you pay for shipping to me, and back to you. Your chioce on shipping methods. Once the lenses are in my hands, it will take several days to clean, prep, paint, and polish, and ship back. A process needs to be done in a specific order to achieve the quality that I feel comfortable sending out to you. I do not want to hack anyone's pride and joy. I am meticulous in my ways, and the final product shows this.

Pics...

Basically, I am able to turn this...

Into this...

Just this weekend, I refinished a set for a local fellow. The quality is spot on, and I feel confident about offering this to the community. Obviously, I cannot get out very dep scratches/cracks, but I can greatly improve the look of the GT lenses. Delamination is a thing of the past with this method. No longer will you or others need to look at ugly, faded, delamed lenses.

Let me know what you think. I do have one reserve set that I will be refinishing in the next week. This set will be insurance against any unforseen problems. I feel confident that you will recieve a show worthy product. If not, I would not be posting this to you. Quality is a major concern with me, and that quality will reflect back every time that you get a compliment on the lenses.

Tony

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 11-23-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much did you charge the local fellow? BTW they really look good. I would like to have a set done depending on price. I have a extra lens PON side that
has been lightly sanded and in good shape

maybe we can work a deal
GBglide

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GBglideClick Here to visit GBglide's HomePageSend a Private Message to GBglideEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be watching this thread, my tail lights need work.
JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Extreamely nice job Tony. Those look fantastic!

Steve
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2012 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IIKool:

How much did you charge the local fellow?

To be honest, $250. But, he needed more than just the lense.

I am considering the $150 to $200 range for the work done. You will have to figure in the price of shipping/insurance. This does rid delamination forever. With the time, and materials involved, this seems like a fair price for basically a new and improved set of taillights. I do not want to cheat anyone, so if this does not sound fair, let me know.

With the extra set of lenses that I have, I am guaranteeing that you will be happy. I want to keep the extra set in case of any unforseen accidents. So, by sending me your units, I will be able to bring back anyones Gt taillights from near death. That, and the extra set will give you and I peace of mind knowing that you will get what you paid for.

I know that many of us need this service. Perhaps I can fill a nitch in the Fiero world?

Tony

Edit: Thanks for the compliments.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 07-04-2012).]

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony,
Those sure look good man. If I had my 86GT still I would probably be willing to spend $150.00 to get them to look brand new like that. Now I own a nice 85GT notchback and I just got some nice tail lights in a trade deal so I cannot use your services. From the looks of the others stuff you have done to your car I would suspect these will come out nice for your customers. Good luck with this project and peace

Pete

Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think $150 is a good price and I may do this if / when I have delamination starting on my GT. I would for sure be interested if you could do this to notch back lights. I want to add the "PONTIAC" lights to my cars.
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony,

I've got a set that need done for my upcoming Formula to GT conversion on my daily driver - PM me with your shipping address and price and I'll get em ready to send out. Thanks!

Jim
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2012 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be honest, I have never worked on a set of Notchie lenses. Hmmm? I could definately come up with something that looks cool. If you are interested Marine1981, send ma a PM, and we can work something out a deal that would benefit us both.

I am just going to commit here, and say that I will do these for $150. You MUST pay for the shipping to me, and return shipping back to you. Yes, I will make some money off of my work, but for what is involved, I feel strongly that I am not making a killing off of anyone.

Seriously, thanks for the interest,

Tony
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony, do you restore the black area on the inside or on the outside of the lens? I'm guessing it's on the inside, but I can't really tell in your pic if the black is on the outside or not.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2012 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Tony, do you restore the black area on the inside or on the outside of the lens? I'm guessing it's on the inside, but I can't really tell in your pic if the black is on the outside or not.

The outside of the lense is painted black to match the OG lines. This alleviates any chance of future delamination. The way that I do it, the lines are crisp, and clean. There are no runs, sags, or blemishes after I am done.

Tony
PFF
System Bot
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM Sent
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

The outside of the lense is painted black to match the OG lines. This alleviates any chance of future delamination. The way that I do it, the lines are crisp, and clean. There are no runs, sags, or blemishes after I am done.

Tony

If the black is on the outside , could you use body color paint in place of the black paint?
FireGirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FireGirlSend a Private Message to FireGirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow those look nice! I will definitely come to you when mine get bad!
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2012 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by troyboy:

If the black is on the outside , could you use body color paint in place of the black paint?

Most definately. But, I do not have the facilities, or means to do body color. Funny, but I have pictured that done to your fantastic ride.

Tony
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2012 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony Kania

20794 posts
Member since Dec 2008

Originally posted by FireGirl:

Wow those look nice! I will definitely come to you when mine get bad!

If you were in need, my friends get a special discount.

I hear your car is running now I can't wait to see her.

Tony
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep up the good work with this. The demand is very high for the lenses nowadays and you are doing a kick-ass job on these.

Originally posted by troyboy:

I have done this before for another member and trust me, you want to stay with black. Any other color just kills the appearance of the lenses.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2012 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a much needed service.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2012 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the compliments.

I really would like to get started on this. I feel that this is something that I can contribute to the longevity of our little mid engined wonders, and I know that many of us need this.

I am currently looking into grabbing a set of Notchie tails. I am not 100% sure what I can do with those, but expect something cool. Pricing will be worked out after I can complete a set.

I am interested in doing some custom work/lettering, and we will see where this takes me. Quality is my number one factor, and I will not let garbage leave my garage. I am a bit OCD.

Tony

------------------

Fieroking Customs

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-07-2012 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Notchie tails in the shadows...

Tony
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-11-2012 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recieved Jim88Gt's lenses in yesterday afternoon. After several more key strokes, I am out to get at em. Pictures as they progress today...

Tony
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2012 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for pics

Jim
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good! Hmmm... Process sure seems familiar...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-1-038087.html

...my lenses are no longer nearly as nice as they did back in 2006 when the above thread was made!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you mask them off, so it says something other than Pontiac?

I'm not too familiar with Fastbacks, but always thought personalized tail lamps to be a great gift idea.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:
Can you mask them off, so it says something other than Pontiac?

I'm not too familiar with Fastbacks, but always thought personalized tail lamps to be a great gift idea.

It would be a bit difficult for him to do that. The 'PONTIAC' wording is on the inside of the tail lamps and is poured into the lenses. To remove it, you have to gently pry it out. Obviously prying on plastic that is twenty-five years old will have a high likelihood of leading to some sort of damage.

This process of restoration involves spraying the OUTSIDE of the lights, to cover the layer on the inside.

What you are talking about could be done, but if I were restoring these lights for people there is no way I would personally do it in fear of damaging someone's lenses.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2012 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for explaining it.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2012 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great idea for a service! I have 2 sets that need to be done. $150 is a reasonable price but I'm a little short on funds at the moment.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2012 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took mine out of storage and just need to get them packed and sent out via UPS or some other competant shipper. They actually look better than I remember.
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2012 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

If you were in need, my friends get a special discount.

I hear your car is running now I can't wait to see her.

Tony

Can I be your friend?

Seriously I have seen his tail lights in person they look fantastic! Hope that this is a win win for everybody.

Terry

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-15-2012 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all,

I have been wrapped up in life as of late, but I am fully back on track. I have several PMs that I will be replying to later today, and look forward to making folks happy again.

Thanks for your patience,

Tony
PFF
System Bot
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this guy still around? My taillights are a mess
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, mine, too.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully he is still offering these. I really enjoyed doing these for the forum members and posting the How-To, but my work was killing me and I had no more free time to take these on. I hope Tony wants to keep doing these because when they are done right, they look identical to new lenses.
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am also hoping Tony is still doing these because i would really like to get both my tailights refinished also.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A ready market! Several potential customers.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set or two that need this work. But at one time last year or so that he was not doing this any more. Maybe Tony can respond I know that the repaint fix is a lot of work.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can anyone tell what was the date he logged in?

I'm still navagating around here and haven't found it this is even available
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As of 8/31/14, he had some personal issues, which may/not have been resolved.

Oddly, there doesn't seem to have been much response on here. Of course, this was an interest thread, not a sale thread.

From IMSA's thread, it is a lot of work.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2014 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He still actively posts in Totally O/T it seems. I don't know if he is offering his services to delaminate the tail lights though. You could probably PM him and ask. Or just do the work yourself following the details of IMSA's thread linked in the first post.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock