Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  LED Dome Light Conversion for Under $20 [TUTORIAL: Step-by-Step With Photo's] (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
LED Dome Light Conversion for Under $20 [TUTORIAL: Step-by-Step With Photo's] by JohnWPB
Started on: 11-30-2011 01:01 AM
Replies: 43 (3914 views)
Last post by: kevin on 05-09-2020 11:43 PM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This modification can be done even on the most limited budget, and will greatly improve the look of your interior at night. With my gray interior, and stock bulbs, the carpeting and seats looked yellow at night with the dome lights on. With the LED modification, it is MUCH brighter, and a nice white light, with just a slight bluish tint.

No splicing or cutting of any wires is necessary, as the LED panels come with an adapter to fit the stock Fiero light bulb sockets.

You can purchase the LED panels from the DealExtreme website, you your favorite LED retailer. If you purchase them from DealExtreme, shipping is free, but be prepared to wait! The orders come out of China, and can take a few weeks to arrive. (I think they take the proverbial "Slow boat from China"! )

These are the LED Panels that I used:

I chose these panels, as they are a perfect fit, and match the size of the Fiero Lenses nicely:

Also, I find they are better, due to the fact that all 8 LED's face down, giving you much more light. The LED's fashioned into a bulb like round housing, will have just 2 of the lights facing down, and the remaining 8 facing up or to the sides.

Looking at this bulb, you see that only 2 of the LED's will face down when plugged in, the rest are pointed in every other direction, except where you want the light to go

First start by removing the 1st and last lens from the dome light assembly using a small screwdriver. You will see a small notch for the blade of the screwdriver in one end of the lens. Be careful, as the plastic is brittle from age. If you do break off one of the tabs that hold the lens in, you can glue the lens back in place. The LED bulbs will probably never burn out. Try to keep 2 of the good lenses in the 1st and last light, so in the future you can get to the screws to remove it, in case you do need to change out an LED, or work on the wiring.

Behind the 1st and 4th light, there are 2 small bolts that needs to be removed. There are also 2 screws where the end of where the sun visors click into the dome light assembly, remove those as well.

After removing the assembly, drop it down, and unplug it from the wiring harness, and take it somewhere to work on it.

Start by Removing the current bulbs, and plug in the sockets included with the LED's that fit the Fiero bulb sockets, and plug the other end of the adapter into the LED panel. Repeat this for the other 3 bulbs. Now it is important to test the lights. Either use a 12v bench tester, or just plug it back into the car. Chances are some of the LED panels will not be lit. LED's need the proper continuity for them to work. For the ones not working, simply remove the plug from the light socket, and insert it back in the other way around. Once you have all 4 lights working, you can unhook it from the 12v and go back to work on it.

I chose to put all the lenses back in at this point, and I used a little silicone to hold the LED panels in place attaching them right to the lenses. Make sure they are centered in the middle of the lenses. If you do not want to silicone them in place, you can tape them from the back, or devise another way to hold them in place.

Note: When replacing the lenses, look at the tab on the lens, and the notch in the assembly. One tab on the lens is larger than the one on the other end. The are meant to go back in, only one way.

That's about it! It is a simple 15 minute project, that will definitely make for a brighter, much nicer white light, and use far less energy when you leave the doors open for a long period of time.

Here is a dome light assembly with 2 stock bulbs, and 2 LED panels. It is quite easy to see the difference!

And again, it is a mod that can be done on even the most limited of budgets!

Here is Fiero after the LED conversion:

If you find the tutorial helpful, you are always welcome to +1 me

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 05-11-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mini_moosee

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mini_mooseeSend a Private Message to Mini_mooseeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it! Plus for you!
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John,
Nice write up! I too have been looking at the same LED's. $17 for all 4 is a hell of a deal! I have seen them for $9 ea. on ebay. I will have to get several sets for all my cars!!

THANKS!!
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
autozone has those for way too expensive. nice find and nice work!
Vernon8360

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a great write up; complete, concise and well written. I would imagine that this upgrade will go a long way to lighting those hard to see nooks and crannies, where keys can be miss-placed.

------------------
1988 GT
Manual
Medium Red Metallic
Gray Leather
K Beck LEDs

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job John.

As you are probably aware, I did this same conversion without the benefit of bulb adapters a couple of years ago.
HUGE improvement in the light quality and level.

The view in the photos is through tinted windows with only the two center lights on.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090907-1-071991.html
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i bought the silvania silverstar 921 bulbs for all over in my car, HUGE improvement. although you get tons of plastic melting heat i need to swap to LEDs really soon... as soon as the car is back on the road lol.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice write up, and timely too as i need to replace my bulbs in my overhead.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. So what is available for the courtesy lights under the dash?
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can actually use the same LED panels, as the ones above. They use the same plug. The LED panels have Peel-n-Stick tape on the back to stick them under the dash.

If you would rather use a standard bulb type LED, This one should work... I have not tried it yet, but it uses the same plug.

A pair of them is $5.

http://www.dealextreme.com/...s-dc-12v-pair-100242

Again, I have not tried this one yet, so I am not sure how bright they would be, or even if it will fit the Fiero socket 100%. I just ordered a pair, and wait for a few weeks for them to get here, and let everyone know

@ ALEX: Do not order the LED panels, I ordered extra's, as you plan to powder coat my headlight buckets, and refused any payment. Thus I can at least give you something for the time and effort

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 11-30-2011).]

Bat City Fieros

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bat City FierosClick Here to visit Bat City Fieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to Bat City FierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have found that the single led's like those (post above) are not very bright. They do have like 3 or 4 (on all 4 sides) that I use and oh baby, they are nice and bright!
PFF
System Bot
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I LIKE! Awesome find and thanks for the tutorial... printing!

------------------
Rescued & resuscitated 1984 Indy Fiero SE Pace Car Replica #770 presently reversibly modified!
SE: Stormtrooper Edition

Everything is the Previous owners fault

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for doing the homework for me... I just placed your identical order for me, I'll keep you posted as to when I receive them. Did you look into under dash replacement bulbs?

------------------

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 01-08-2012).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

Did you look into under dash replacement bulbs?

Yep, Look 4 posts back

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2012 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got em about 3 weeks ago, popped right in... I shoulda ordered 7, 4 on the dome 2 under dash and 1 in the trunk. Im gonna put an order in for 4 more maybe throw the extra one under the hood. Thanks for doing the leg work and providing the info, Great deal......

------------------

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087461.html

J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2012 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered 4 LEDs about 6 weeks ago. 3 weeks later I received the package, but only received 3. I sent a couple emails to them think they forgot 1 in my order. A week ago I received another package with the missing LED, they did not tell me it was backed ordered in the first shipment. I am also thinking of ordering 2 more for under the dash.

Jack
FieroJam

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2012 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got the email from DealExtreme that my led panels have been shipped. I ordered the same four you used for the dome light but also ordered two of these http://www.dealextreme.com/...e-light-dc-12v-34604 for the convenience lights under the dash. I can't wait to install them. My goal is to replace all the light bulbs in my car with led's.
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
excellant - ordered a set and waiting for them to arrive cheap and very effective mod

thank you

jon
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2012 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive got these, they are blue though, all over my car. In the pontiac in the back as well as every light in my interior. They work great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T10...&hash=item3cc0a3d305
currie68

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for currie68Send a Private Message to currie68Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW spent four hours on there web site. lots of stuff thanks for the linky
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riddick85:

Ive got these, they are blue though, all over my car. In the pontiac in the back as well as every light in my interior. They work great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T10...&hash=item3cc0a3d305

I'm confused. You mention they are blue, yet it says "super white" in the heading and "white" in the description. How does one determine the actual color of these bulbs? Is the listed color temperature of 5500k considered blue?

Along the same lines, how does one determine the relative brightness of these bulbs? If we want something the same brightness as the original incandescent bulb for example, how can we tell which LED replacement bulb is required?
PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what they look like installed under dash and in the dome.
Riddick85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2012 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm confused. You mention they are blue, yet it says "super white" in the heading and "white" in the description. How does one determine the actual color of these bulbs? Is the listed color temperature of 5500k considered blue?

Along the same lines, how does one determine the relative brightness of these bulbs? If we want something the same brightness as the original incandescent bulb for example, how can we tell which LED replacement bulb is required?

Just search for a blue one on ebay

I put those ones on there just because most people would not like blue in their interior. It works really well for me since if I want some real light inside my car, I just click on the other 2 lights in the dome that do not come on with the doors being open.

Blue ones on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X...&hash=item3370ae7e6c

About the brightness, I have no idea much about the temperature and other specs of led's. I just bought them and liked them so I used them. This was the second type of bulb I bought, the first were crap lol

[This message has been edited by Riddick85 (edited 01-16-2012).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2012 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, some of the LED's you can buy are not very bright. The ones I listed in the first post are quite bright, and cheap. A good combination
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Yea, some of the LED's you can buy are not very bright. The ones I listed in the first post are quite bright, and cheap. A good combination

I did this to my fiero a couple months ago and didn't give you a +1 yet.
They look and work great!
+1 for you!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I missed this.

I installed a Homelink transmitter in my overhead console, which necessitated a switch to LEDs to make room.
Your LEDs look like a much better fit.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089208.html

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I find most led light looks blue, unless it is rated as more of a yellow, it could just be because we are used to yellowish incandescents.

jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone done the mod for the trunk?
jon
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Late reply, but yes, I put one in the trunk and it is brighter than the stock bulb for sure.

This picture was taken in the daytime, and the LED still looks quite bright:

I have been sticking these LED's everywhere LOL! I put a 3 of them in my third brake light as well:

And here it is all lit up:

REMEMBER!
Check the polarity before you go wiring, soldering, or crimping anything. LED's will only work with the positive(+) hooked in one way.
S-toon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for S-toonSend a Private Message to S-toonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! was using search to see if maybe you did this for the side markers and found this https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-1-082820.html so did you ever get around and finish? Make them flash? If you did, can you post how you did it?

Thanks,
thedude557

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedude557Send a Private Message to thedude557Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just looked into this myself. FYI there is a coupon code if you buy 3 or more right now. Takes about a dollar off each one. Just follow the OPs link. Ordering mine tonight!

Edit: looks like using the bulk rate code will apply a shipping rate. So maybe not so great after all.

[This message has been edited by thedude557 (edited 01-23-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
jimlong67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2013 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimlong67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about adding this to the How to's forum??
Jim

------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins.
2004 White Sebring Convertible
1986 Black Fiero GT
Kathryn's Welded Metal Artist

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimlong67:

How about adding this to the How to's forum??
Jim

Only Cliff can move threads around. I have a few tutorial / how to threads I have done that would be better in there.....

jimlong67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimlong67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Sebring Convertible, There is a forum just like this one for it and they have a pretty extensive how to topic. It makes it easy to find helpful topics or fixes. I know there is a search engine here but why not just add them to the how to topic? Just my $.02.
Jim

------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins.
2004 White Sebring Convertible
1986 Black Fiero GT
Kathryn's Welded Metal Artist

Big Paul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those that have done this, how are they holding up? I've found that my led's are burning out and one has started to flicker. I'm guessing I need to add resistors in somewhere.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have one that's flickering.
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a reason they cost so little, besides the fact they probably come from China. They need to be lit up for an extended period of time and also "flap" them (bang them on a table top) to see if they survive. If they last several hours after being flapped and lit for 20 hours or so, they are most likely good.

Any source for USA made LEDs? I know they will cost a lot more, but I'm OK with that.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Careful, I had some ebay leds for about 5 months untill they all started dieing.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2013 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero is not a daily driver yet, so no idea how those LED's are for the duration. However, I put the same LED panels in my Kia in the front and rear dome lights, and they are also still like the day I installed them. It would be nice to find LED's made in the United States, but that's gonna be tough. Any LED's that I have found that are made in the USA are for office, business and home lighting.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock