Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New engine swap, 4.9 V8 to a 2.0 4 cylinder (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New engine swap, 4.9 V8 to a 2.0 4 cylinder by FieroMaster88
Started on: 07-08-2011 07:02 PM
Replies: 337 (17771 views)
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 06-16-2020 11:02 PM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2013 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! I'm happy with it.
IP: Logged
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2013 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm soooo ready for spring so I can drive my car...

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2013 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up a set of poly mounts for the trans. Ill install them as soon as spring is here. Right now the car has Super Duty 4 cylinder parts sitting around it. I'm building one for my Indy. Ill have 2 quick 4 cylinder cars.
sleevePAPA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
7749 ECM with $58 im assuming? if so, Its a 2 bar code and would need to be changed with a 3 bar map sensor and $59. thats if you plan on pushing boost past 14.7 psi. I had a turbo sunchicken back in the day and if it spiked over 14.7 psi it would cut the fuel and shut the engine off, LOL
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sleevePAPA:

7749 ECM with $58 im assuming? if so, Its a 2 bar code and would need to be changed with a 3 bar map sensor and $59. thats if you plan on pushing boost past 14.7 psi. I had a turbo sunchicken back in the day and if it spiked over 14.7 psi it would cut the fuel and shut the engine off, LOL

Thats where the fuel cut preventer comes into play. It hooks in the vacuum line to the map sensor so it does not see 15 lbs of boost. I'll let you know how it works once the weather warms up and I'm driving the car again...
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's still not spring...low 30s as a high with snow flurries...
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a call from the body shop today. My driven visions tail light panel will be painted and ready for me to pick up by Monday!
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Thats where the fuel cut preventer comes into play. It hooks in the vacuum line to the map sensor so it does not see 15 lbs of boost. I'll let you know how it works once the weather warms up and I'm driving the car again...

im going to guess alot of knock, LOL. the ECM wont be able to compensate above that limit.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sleevePAPA:

im going to guess alot of knock, LOL. the ECM wont be able to compensate above that limit.

It's getting a tune this summer. It will be ok. I'm not worried.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2013 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a call from the body shop. My tail light panel is done. I'm picking it up in the morning.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2013 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installed:

Not 100% happy with the fit. I have to get some different bolts and try to tweak it a little. It's not very contoured to the car. I need to figure out a way to get a little more of a bend to it. Opinions?

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 04-12-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

We used to do a little trick when I worked for Gary's Customs back in the day. If we needed to tweak a panel like yours, we would put it on a table. Prop up both ends and put a weight in the middle (to apply pressure) and then turn the heat up and let it bake in the booth. You'd be surprised how much you can adjust this way.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 04-13-2013).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2013 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks better today. Looks like its gotten some curve back to it. Ill adjust it a bit after its been on there a few weeks.
A picture with a real camera from today:

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 04-14-2013).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Changed some vacuum lines and cleaned up the engine a bit. Still trying to figure out this stupid cheap eBay boost controller. I'm going to remove it and see what my boost pressure is set at stock. It spiked at 20psi on a short drive yesterday. I'll probably end up buying a quality boost controller.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 04-28-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might catch some slack for the cheap guys, but man, you buy the quality stuff for the important things! Why not run a ProfecB or similar EBC? Or use the stock BCS and add a GM 3 port.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 04-28-2013).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, going to buy something quality. I normally do the first time but got cheap for some reason.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed the poly transmission mounts today. Made a huge difference. The engine/transmission doesn't shift around at all now. I disconnected the cheap boost controller. Turns out I can use the fuel cut preventer in line to the map sensor to adjust the boost with the factory waste gate valve. I still have some tweaking to do but am no longer spiking 20psi boost.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed factory lower ball joints on the front today and cut 1/2 coil from the front springs. I adjusted the rear coil overs up 5 turns. The ride is much better and I have no more tire rub.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to do something with mine. I have coil overs all around but lowered Fieros have no suspension travel. I may try the RD lowering ball joints and raise the coil overs up to get more travel.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was not impressed with the lowering ball joints. They caused interference between the lower control arm and 13" rotors. I now have factory ball joints and Fiero store lowering springs with 1/2 coil removed.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL good thing I have stock brakes! I also have to camber the snot out of mine due to the crap offset and wide wheels.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 05-16-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah you will be ok with stock brakes. The ride with them wasn't bad the problem was it was too low with them and lowering springs. My tires rubbed like crazy after the springs settled. That won't be a problem for you since you have front coil overs.

Now that the tail light panel has been on the car a while it has evened out. The curve is better and I was able to adjust the gap more even side to side. I've gotten a few comments on them when I've been driving around. Apparently it makes the car look like something other than a Fiero.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 05-16-2013).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah you will be ok with stock brakes. The ride with them wasn't bad the problem was it was too low with them and lowering springs. My tires rubbed like crazy after the springs settled. That won't be a problem for you since you have front coil overs.

Now that the tail light panel has been on the car a while it has evened out. The curve is better and I was able to adjust the gap more even side to side. I've gotten a few comments on them when I've been driving around. Apparently it makes the car look like something other than a Fiero.

You have two very nice cars. I'd love to get my hands on either, but mostly the 88.
Hidalgo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2013 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HidalgoSend a Private Message to HidalgoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In Fieroguy123's thread, when he was modifying this engine and swapping it into his Fiero, L67 commented that adding an intercooler will keep the head cooler, thus keeping it from cracking as often happens with this 2.0L LT3 engine. What are your thoughts on that? And if that's true, would adding an engine oil cooler behind the other side scoop on the passenger's side have the same effect?

Awesome swap by the way! The w2a installation was especially interesting. But BV MotorSports, why do you say that a mid-engined car like the Fiero begs for a w2a intercooler?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure the W2A helps lower cylinder head/combustion temperatures some but I don't know how much. I still have to wire up the cooling fan that is mounted on the radiator for the W2A (that's today's project). I have an oil temperature gauge in the car and it's normally in the 180-200 degree range so I really don't think it needs an oil cooler. My 4.9 had higher oil temperatures than that. I have not had a ton of time to drive it this year, my wife and I had twin boys in December and they are keeping us pretty busy right now.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My G8 runs 220 oil temps according to the OE dash "Atari" gauge. If I were to add an oil cooler to any car, I'd prefer to use a thermostatically controlled unit like the StarQuest uses.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not having any temperature issues do I'm not planning on adding one. I haven't touched the car in two weeks or more. 6 month old twin boys and working 60+ hours a week really wear a man out. I've been driving the BMW because I've had to pick the boys up from day care on the way home from work. My wife is off of work for good for a while so hopefully I can start driving it to work. Maybe even get a Saturday night to go to the drag strip and see what it runs in the 1/4 mile.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not having any temperature issues do I'm not planning on adding one. I haven't touched the car in two weeks or more. 6 month old twin boys and working 60+ hours a week really wear a man out. I've been driving the BMW because I've had to pick the boys up from day care on the way home from work. My wife is off of work for good for a while so hopefully I can start driving it to work. Maybe even get a Saturday night to go to the drag strip and see what it runs in the 1/4 mile.

I hear ya there. Back when I was the store mgr for Big10 I worked bell to bell. 72+ hrs a week. I didnt have the energy to do jack monkey squat. One night, I left without locking the front door when I closed! The DM was at the store in the morning before me. You know what he said? "We have all done it, just dont let it happen again". I kid you not!

Good luck at the strip. I am going to guess 14's and maybe even high 13's.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drove the car Saturday for the first time in a couple weeks. I also wired up the intercooler pump the correct way. Still have to wire the fan for the intercooler. Will probably do that after work tomorrow. I got a new micro SD card for my GoPro and will try to get a couple videos this weekend.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn it looks good! Now you got me thinking I should of went with your style side scoops!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fixed my overboost issue today. Turns out the electronic solenoid for the waste gate was bad. I bypassed it, adjusted the boost controller and now run 10-11 psi. I'm very happy.
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cleaned the car a few days ago. Here's a couple pictures:

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jackson, baby number 2, wanted to check out the interior of the Fiero. Looks like he's a fan.

I'm thinking my gas mileage might have improved after fixing a few small issues on the car. I'm half way through a tank and have gone 150 miles. That's way better than the 4.9 was.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wyatt thought it was pretty cool too.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000
I do have one question for anyone who still reads this post (BV?). I think I need to add more capacity to the W2A system and am thinking of adding a tank. Any suggestions on what to use and how to plumb it?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made myself a cold air intake. The air filter is behind the side vent on the right side. Made it out of spare parts I had laying around. You can see the black tube with red coupler in the first picture and kinda see the filter behind the vent in the second picture. The turbo sounds really loud now!

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Short drive:
Video deleted due to too many stupid negative comments.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 11-18-2014).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, I love your car.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Very nice, I love your car.

Thanks!
I still want to add a resivoirs tank to the W2A system. Trying to find one small enough to mount by the heat exchanger. Thinking I might try one from a BMW. They use a smaller one on the twin turbo v8 cars.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock