Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Hulki Aldikacti’s Personal Fiero (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hulki Aldikacti’s Personal Fiero by wesailit57
Started on: 06-23-2011 12:05 AM
Replies: 165 (9312 views)
Last post by: johnyrottin on 12-25-2015 08:53 AM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:

I'm curious to know why he took possession of it in August of 1989, which is a full year after the Fiero was discontinued.
Did Pontiac dealers have that bad amount of excess inventory for well over a year on Fieros?

I got to Hawaii in Sept 88 and started looking for cars. In April of 89 I went to a Pontiac dealer and they had 4 GT's on the lot. I wish I would have bought one, but what can you do. Anyway, they wanted over $18K for them, telling me that "they don't make these anymore, so we want top dollar for them".

Not sure if being in Hawaii had any influance on selling them or shipping them back to Detroit.

Rob
IP: Logged
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still say that this is just another nice 88 Fiero with no special significance other than it was owned by a GM manager who worked for the cheap cars divison. As for this Hulki guy, he doesn't care about us why should we care about him? The motivating factor behind the design of any car is MONEY. Hulki got paid for the project and was eventually laid off. Now if this was a one off design like the 89 Fiero prototype then I agree that its would be worth big bucks.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I still say that this is just another nice 88 Fiero with no special significance other than it was owned by a GM manager who worked for the cheap cars divison. As for this Hulki guy, he doesn't care about us why should we care about him? The motivating factor behind the design of any car is MONEY. Hulki got paid for the project and was eventually laid off. Now if this was a one off design like the 89 Fiero prototype then I agree that its would be worth big bucks.

Hulki gave time to the Fiero community and he is the one that got the Fiero through. Of course he got paid. I think the car should bring a few more bucks, because of the previous owner.
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seriously, after driving a turbo and supercharged Fieros I could not stand to drive a 2.8 Fiero. I dont care who owned it before, after a month I would begin the swap.
Flamberge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So Richard Petty's Superbird is just another Superbird? Or John Delorean's Delorean? The significance is in the history of the person who owned the car he willed into existence. So he was a manager of the "cheap cars" division. And got paid for having a job. So what? Obviously he did something more than what you are stating in your post or you wouldn't be here - a quarter century later - discussing it.

I suspect you are just being contrarion but I I'm not sure because you sound sincere.

This "Hulki guy" designed a car we all love. Some of us have had more than one. And he did it at a time when GM wasn't going to allow anything like the Fiero to get the green light for production. He managed to sell the car to an unsuspecting General Motors executive staff that at the time was mostly out of touch with reality. He made a mid engine two seater that is sporty and a blast to drive, and has styling that is almost contemporary even 25 years later. There were so many hurdles the car almost got axed dozens of times before it rolled off the line. GM finally killed the car in 1988 because sales were down and GM decided no one wanted two seaters anymore. (The Miata came out right about this time.)

The Fiero sold over 100K cars for the 84 model. It paced Indianapolis during the 500. It was easy to modify and made from readily available parts so shade tree mechanics could afford to keep it running. It could be kitted easily. Overall it was a success. There are books written about the Fiero story. Hulki didn't save the world, but he produced something will probably never be repeated - at least not at General Motors. And I am grateful for his efforts.

But what can I say? I'm sentimental. You might not be. For you it might just be a car from some Hulki guy. For me, it one of the best production cars of all time, and my first love (my fiamma), as far as cars go.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As for this Hulki guy, he doesn't care about us why should we care about him?

Dennis, with all due respect you don't know what you are talking about.

Have you ever met Hulki? He shows up at Fiero events and is very supportive of the Fiero community. He will sign Fiero memorabilia and meet and greet with you for as long as you desire. He is not just some random person at Pontiac...to the community he is the John Delorean of the Fiero.

My car has been signed by Hulki and in my opinion its the most interesting part of the car.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

So Richard Petty's Superbird is just another Superbird? Or John Delorean's Delorean? The significance is in the history of the person who owned the car he willed into existence. So he was a manager of the "cheap cars" division. And got paid for having a job. So what? Obviously he did something more than what you are stating in your post or you wouldn't be here - a quarter century later - discussing it.

I suspect you are just being contrarion but I I'm not sure because you sound sincere.

This "Hulki guy" designed a car we all love. Some of us have had more than one. And he did it at a time when GM wasn't going to allow anything like the Fiero to get the green light for production. He managed to sell the car to an unsuspecting General Motors executive staff that at the time was mostly out of touch with reality. He made a mid engine two seater that is sporty and a blast to drive, and has styling that is almost contemporary even 25 years later. There were so many hurdles the car almost got axed dozens of times before it rolled off the line. GM finally killed the car in 1988 because sales were down and GM decided no one wanted two seaters anymore. (The Miata came out right about this time.)

The Fiero sold over 100K cars for the 84 model. It paced Indianapolis during the 500. It was easy to modify and made from readily available parts so shade tree mechanics could afford to keep it running. It could be kitted easily. Overall it was a success. There are books written about the Fiero story. Hulki didn't save the world, but he produced something will probably never be repeated - at least not at General Motors. And I am grateful for his efforts.

But what can I say? I'm sentimental. You might not be. For you it might just be a car from some Hulki guy. For me, it one of the best production cars of all time, and my first love (my fiamma), as far as cars go.

Richard Petty's Superbird is in a Museum and is priceless. The last original Superbird to be sold that I'm aware of was a 440 6-pack edition and it went for over 1 mil. But, there were so few of them built, few sold and more than a few were converted back to Roadrunners at the dealerships so they would sell. Used DeLoreans are selling for 25k+ and "new" ones are being sold for 35k+. What John DeLorean's personal DMC12 would go for is anyone's guess, but I'm guessing it would hit close to 100k at auction.

As for this amazing piece of Pontiac history, if everything checked out and it truly was owned by Mr. Aldikacti, if I could afford it, I wouldn't blink at 25-30k for it.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And regardless whether or not you value the connection to Hulki, I think pristine, low-mileage originals like this one should absolutely command top dollar. Or course, everyone's definition of "top dollar" is different, but if I was in the market for another Fiero I'd look very closely at something similar to this one. Sure there are plenty of cheap ones available but there is something to be said for NICE original paint, perfect interior and no hack work performed on it by prior owners. Sure, it'll never command crazy money like a showroom fresh Buick Grand National, but it would be nice if prices start going up eventually (but they never will if every time a nice one comes up for sale people slam it for being "too much").
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

And regardless whether or not you value the connection to Hulki, I think pristine, low-mileage originals like this one should absolutely command top dollar. Or course, everyone's definition of "top dollar" is different, but if I was in the market for another Fiero I'd look very closely at something similar to this one. Sure there are plenty of cheap ones available but there is something to be said for NICE original paint, perfect interior and no hack work performed on it by prior owners. Sure, it'll never command crazy money like a showroom fresh Buick Grand National, but it would be nice if prices start going up eventually (but they never will if every time a nice one comes up for sale people slam it for being "too much").

I read thru the thread again and can’t find who said the car was not worth a high price. It is a low mileage 88GT and should fetch a high price. But it’s not pristine, it has rust on the door hinges and the seat rail… hell my 88GT has 123,000 miles on it and it does not have that rust…so I guess mine is super pristine

Below is what I said and if you look I said the reserve is probably up to $25,000. I can’t find where anyone else said the price was to high either.

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

I love Fiero’s… hell I am spending more on my Fiero than most people spent on there new car setting in the driveway. I personally don’t feel any connection to any pervious owners of any of my cars.

Of course I always thought that baseball card collecting and pricing is just ridiculous… I will pay you $30,000 for a Babe Ruth baseball card… really it’s a piece of cardboard with a picture on it… LOL

It’s a low mileage Fiero to me, but I understand that some people get emotional over objects. I love cars and drive cars; I’m not starting a museum.

Here’s a thought… someone on PFF start a new thread and collectively buy the Hulki Fiero and put it into a museum. I figure this car is priced at $15,000 - $20,000 - $25,000 so 250 X $100.00 gives ya $25,000 to buy it. Surely there are 250 people who want this car in a museum. I personally am wondering why the family did not donate it to a museum. Talk about not loving the Fiero

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

I read thru the thread again and can’t find who said the car was not worth a high price.

You're right, it hasn't happened in this thread. Give 'em time, however.... Someone is bound to say it.
BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

You're right, it hasn't happened in this thread. Give 'em time, however.... Someone is bound to say it.

True…LOL

I remember the ClayTonto sale and how many people said he would never get $16,000 for his car and he did
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the most part most not all cars prev owners can have mixed results. People like Petty, Delorean or Henry Ford can add much to the value of a car. The problem here while Hulki is a key name known to all Fiero fans he is very unknown in the outside world. Ask you grandmother who Henry Ford is and she knows most could ask who Hulki is and they will say who.

I see some small added value to a Fiero enthusiast but in the big picture collector world the Hulki thing is limited.

As for the car it is clean and very nice. The bad part is even with this name tied to it there seems to be nothing specail. When Zora Duntov had a Vette Built it was normally somthing special and not stock, same applies to BIll Mitchell etc. If he only had something like power steering or some other non stock item that would make a big difference.

Also by 1984 Hulki had pretty much moved on and had little to nothing to do with the car at this point. This may be why it was so stock.

Nice car and should get a good price based on condition with a little addition with the name. I really don't see big big money here. $15k give or take $1K.
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the cost of a baseball? $4.00 maybe.

What is it worth if it's signed by Hank Aaron?
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have figured Hulki's Fiero would have every factory option available. If it was left over, unsold production, that woudl explain the moderate level of equipment. Either way it does have an interesting history, and is in great condition.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rpro:

What is the cost of a baseball? $4.00 maybe.

What is it worth if it's signed by Hank Aaron?

Cheapest one I found on Google was $165
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
Nice car and should get a good price based on condition with a little addition with the name. I really don't see big big money here. $15k give or take $1K.

I'd say that too if I was bidding for it.

Well played, Sir. Well played.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would think that if a man fought so hard to get his car made and it was his pride and joy and so on, he would have driven it a lot more than this has been driven. He must have been disappointed with the final product.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The real point here is that it doesn't matter whether you think it's worth as much money as is being asked, but whether you think someone else would be ready to buy it from you for even more. Everybody knew that it didn't cost $800 to mine and refine an ounce of gold two years ago, but that hasn't stopped it from being snapped up as a bargain two years later for $1500/ounce.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

I would think that if a man fought so hard to get his car made and it was his pride and joy and so on, he would have driven it a lot more than this has been driven. He must have been disappointed with the final product.

You are making an assumption based on very little evidence. He put 2000 miles on it. Maybe he wanted to keep it nice? Was it his first and only Fiero? Did he prefer a cruiser (Caddy or Buick)? Maybe because it was so low to the ground and he's 6'2" he didn't want to stoop down so far. Who knows why?

Maybe he was mad because he had just gotten the car the day before finding out GM was cancelling the Fiero, and he was so heartbroken that his beloved Fiero was being discontinued he just couldn't bare to drive it. *shrug*
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Flamberge

4268 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by Rallaster:

Richard Petty's Superbird is in a Museum and is priceless. The last original Superbird to be sold that I'm aware of was a 440 6-pack edition and it went for over 1 mil. But, there were so few of them built, few sold and more than a few were converted back to Roadrunners at the dealerships so they would sell. Used DeLoreans are selling for 25k+ and "new" ones are being sold for 35k+. What John DeLorean's personal DMC12 would go for is anyone's guess, but I'm guessing it would hit close to 100k at auction.

As for this amazing piece of Pontiac history, if everything checked out and it truly was owned by Mr. Aldikacti, if I could afford it, I wouldn't blink at 25-30k for it.

My point exactly. Knowing this was The Creator's personal car (with supporting documentation) makes it important and more valuable, even if it is only more valuable to Fiero-lovers and collectors. Don't you guys watch American Pickers? If something is connected to a specific person or event that is or was significant, the value of the item goes up, be it Superbird, DeLorean, Fiero, or moth-eaten racing jersey. It's just the way it is.

I still think it belongs in a museum, and really hope whoever ends up with it does not chop the top, make a Lambo kit, or swap the engine.

It may not have the value of Petty's Superbird, but to me and this community, it is arguably one of the most precious and valuable Fieros still on the road. (The actual Indy pace cars, maybe the IMSA cars that raced, the first and last off the line, the prototypes, and a handful of others would fill in a Fiero museum nicely.)
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got an e-mail that the seller added a "buy it now" option to the auction (Yes, I bid on it twice) for $14500. Unfortunately this is a little more than I was willing to spend, although I would love to have a low-mile, and somewhat historic piece. Oh well. I hope it finds a good home.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph
FOR SALE
GM Tuners

PFF
System Bot
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:

I got an e-mail that the seller added a "buy it now" option to the auction (Yes, I bid on it twice) for $14500. Unfortunately this is a little more than I was willing to spend, although I would love to have a low-mile, and somewhat historic piece. Oh well. I hope it finds a good home.

Wish I had $14,500.
BlackThunderGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW I really thought the reserve would be $15,000 to $25,000.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I just got the story on this car.

It was a left over car for the Fiero program. It was a line car that was in stock to be cut up or modified for test parts for future models. Hulki got it at a cut rate discount when GM was taking them out of inventory.
He bought it because it was cheap and it was for the most part a car for his wife to drive. He grandson what ever relation took it to FL and had it longer than Hulki.

From what I was told the car is low milage but needs a lot of cleaning and detail as it is no where as clean as it appears on the web. Note most cars are show cars on the web.

So yes Hulki owned this car but it really did not mean a lot to him and it for the most part was a cheap buy he could not pass up. No real history other than the name on the warranty card.

Keep in mind Hulki was long gone by the time he bought this car since he left the Fiero program in 1983 after the first week of production.

The info came from a very reliable and informed person. He can chime in if he would like and name himself.

So now knowing this it for the most part is a low mileage car that needs some TLC and has Hulki's name on the warranty card.

The demand will determine what it is worth to the buyer. For me I would rather have better spent the money on one of GM's historic center Fieros that were auctioned off cheap. Those cars were well under sold for what they were. It is rare cars like the survived let alone ever get sold to the public.

Famous owner no matter who are a mixed bag of values. For the most part they mean little unless there is some historic thing or event tied to the car. Like a Pantera that would not start with a Elvis bullet hole in the dash. Or Henry Fords custom one off 64 Mustang. Cars like this really see value in the owners name. But others just don't do much with some of the names. They truly are Jon Voight cars.

The value in this car is if 2-5 Fiero fans want it and get into a bidding war. To an collector out side the Fiero group this car has little value. No matter what someone will have a good low mileage car with a intersting story.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 06-24-2011).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Current bid at $8,100 and reserve not met? There must be some collectors with very deep pockets out there.In my view this is just another nice Fiero. It is just one of 400,000 Fieros made and I believe the seller wants $25 grand for it.
This Turkish Hulki character; is he really that famous and was his achievement that remarkable? His team just took a Celebrity front end, used available GM engines, transmissons and numerous items from the parts bins, and assembled everything in a new body. Big deal. This type of thing is done every day.
With all the hype you'd think that this guy was Henry Ford.
There is no end to the stupidity of the Amercan car collector. If the bid goes to $20 grand + we will know for sure.

Maybe before you comment on something you should actually research the subject.
The Fiero does NOT use a Celebrity front end It was a Citation.
Hulki designed the mid-engine Fiero chassis. Just because he used off the shelf parts to help him complete the car and satisfy the corporate bean counters, does not mean it's just a "new body". The automotive design cues that were utilized in the concept of the Fiero were unique at the time. His designs and many aspects of the Fiero won numerous awards for the new ideas/concepts utilized. In fact many of his design concepts are still used today.

He was not a manager but a design engineer. He didn't get "laid off" he retired from GM as he worked on other programs as well over his long career at GM. The reason he is notorized as the Father of the Fiero is because it was his concept. Similar to John Delorean's concept of making the GTO's, Grand Prix's and Firebird's back in the 60's. (FYI - Hulki worked under Delorean at GM as well)

While many newer car designs are motivated to make money, Many of the design engineers (like Delorean and Hulki) were more "car guys" and cared more about making a cool car than how much money it would make them. This was the reason John Delorean left GM and started his own company. He wanted to design unique and cool cars and GM in the early 70's was more interested in making money. By the mid 80's many of the "car guys" had either retired or left and GM bean counters ran the divisions. (and we all know where that led to.) There were a few folks who were able to get some of the special projects pushed thru the years but for the most part the "car guy" attitude had passed. ( and not just GM but a lot of the car manufacturers have the same problem)

As for the hype, Some folks actually like the Fiero history and how it changed many things in the automotive design area. Just because you do not like that particular aspect or understand why some folks collect cars, you should not berate them. That is what makes you look stupid.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 06-25-2011).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Senility is an ugly thing. Thats the only thing that could explain this tapestry of pure BS. Hulki is up there in age, even more so than you Dennis, and he doesn't owe the Fiero world anything. But he still made it a point to come to the 25th anniversary and take the time to talk to people as well as make a speech. Please remove your head from your fourth point of contact.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
] Hulki is no Hank Aaron, no Arkus Dundov, no Caroll Shelby , no John Ligenfelter, no John Delorean and no . Those people created VERY special cars. Hulki put together a sylish cheap two seater car using the GM parts bin and a custom body. If his achievement is so special why is the GM car communty not honoring the lead managers on the Impala, Beretta, Celbrity, Rivera, and Grand Prix projects? Even the guy who put together the GM Design team for the Sunfire, or the one with the conept for the Saturn lies in obscurity. How about the guy who created the Cosworth Vega or the Corvette?
Look, Hulki may be a nice guy but I do not believe that anyone other than the tiny amount of Fiero owners knows anything about him. He's less famous than your local postman hence IMO any car owned by him is just not that valuable. If Hulki is remembered it will be for creating the biggest fire hazard that GM has had in the history of the company. Thats his legacy. I don't want anything owned by him as I consider it junk.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hulki is no Hank Aaron, no Arkus Dundov, no Caroll Shelby , no John Ligenfelter, no John Delorean and no . Those people created VERY special cars. Hulki put together a sylish cheap two seater car using the GM parts bin and a custom body. If his achievement is so special why is the GM car communty not honoring the lead managers on the Impala, Beretta, Celbrity, Rivera, and Grand Prix projects? Even the guy who put together the GM Design team for the Sunfire, or the one with the conept for the Saturn lies in obscurity. How about the guy who created the Cosworth Vega or the Corvette?
Look, Hulki may be a nice guy but I do not believe that anyone other than the tiny amount of Fiero owners knows anything about him. He's less famous than your local postman hence IMO any car owned by him is just not that valuable. If Hulki is remembered it will be for creating the biggest fire hazard that GM has had in the history of the company. Thats his legacy. I don't want anything owned by him as I consider it junk.

So please tell me why you drove your "junk" to carlisle today to look at every ones "junk" and act like you like our "junk"? Can it! Junk car driver. Do yourself a favor and sell your two junk cars before you die in a fire. No one want's to read your self important word vomit
edit: to clarify
------------------
87 SE LD M2
Coming Soon: 88 GT custom 3800
93 Cutlas Ciera 3300 (DD)
95 Ford F-150 (Work Truck)
www.NYFOC.com

[This message has been edited by katore8105 (edited 06-25-2011).]

Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Snip

What are you doing on Pennock's FIERO forum, if the car is junk and a "fire hazard?" Are you just a troll trying to stir people up?

The reason the creators of some of those other cars are not as noteworthy is because in most cases they simply worked off of an existing template or refreshed an existing car design. The Fiero was built from the ground up. It only used preexisting parts to get the project green lit so that... nah, you know what, forget it. Reread this thread if you want to know why Hulki has a WELL DESERVED legacy. Trivialize his achievement all you want, but the Fiero is one of the reasons Pontiac used the phrase "We Build Excitement". Hulki's car sold 400,000+ in a 5 year life cycle, impressive even by today's standards.

Go find some other forum to spew your hate, if that's all you have to offer.

[This message has been edited by Flamberge (edited 06-26-2011).]

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flamberge:

What are you doing on Pennock's FIERO forum, if the car is junk and a "fire hazard?" Are you just a troll trying to stir people up?

The reason the creators of some of those other cars are not as noteworthy is because in most cases they simply worked off of an existing template or refreshed an existing car design. The Fiero was built from the ground up. It only used preexisting parts to get the project green lit so that... nah, you know what, forget it. Reread this thread if you want to know why Hulki has a WELL DESERVED legacy. Trivialize his achievement all you want, but the Fiero is one of the reasons Pontiac used the phrase "We Build Excitement". Hulki's car sold 400,000+ in a 5 year life cycle, impressive even by today's standards.

Go find some other forum to spew your hate, if that's all you have to offer.

Please note the quotations around the word "junk" which was in reference to Tom's post above my last. Then, the following times "junk" was not quoted was patronizing his use reference of Fiero's being junk. You misunderstood my post and I am not a troll. I will quote his thread if it makes it more clear.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katore8105:

Please note the quotations around the word "junk" which was in reference to Tom's post above my last. Then, the following times "junk" was not quoted was patronizing his use reference of Fiero's being junk. You misunderstood my post and I am not a troll. I will quote his thread if it makes it more clear.

My apologies, I meant to quote Dennis LaGrua's post, not yours. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edit to add that I'll change my previous post.

[This message has been edited by Flamberge (edited 06-26-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
boomme

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-26-2011 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for boommeSend a Private Message to boommeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a $9500.00 book that once sat on Stephen King's home office shelf for 20 years... (his personal copy)

Hmmm....
I wonder if I could trade it for this Fiero...
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

] Hulki is no Hank Aaron, no Arkus Dundov, no Caroll Shelby , no John Ligenfelter, no John Delorean and no . Those people created VERY special cars. Hulki put together a sylish cheap two seater car using the GM parts bin and a custom body. If his achievement is so special why is the GM car communty not honoring the lead managers on the Impala, Beretta, Celbrity, Rivera, and Grand Prix projects? Even the guy who put together the GM Design team for the Sunfire, or the one with the conept for the Saturn lies in obscurity. How about the guy who created the Cosworth Vega or the Corvette?

It is quite obvious you do not have a clue. Chances are you never will, your own ignorance won't let you. Problem is you never research anything and just post your own mis-informed opinions. If you feel so strongly about the "junk" why do you own a couple? You should sell them both and go buy yourself something that you do not think is junk or a fire hazard.

FYI - John Delorean's design team which includes Hulki designed the Grand Prix and also worked with Cosworth of England to build the Cosworth Vega. The Cosworth Vega was the last project Delorean worked on at GM before he left to start his own company.

EDIT: Um what "VERY special car" did "Hank Aaron" make? I thought he was a famous baseball player??
John Ligenfelter did not "create" cars he modified them for fantastic performance. He is famous because of his racing career first.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 06-26-2011).]

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

To leave it sit would ruin the car.

To drive it daily will guarantee to ruin the car. Letting a car sit correctly does not ruin one.

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

EDIT: Um what "VERY special car" did "Hank Aaron" make? I thought he was a famous baseball player??

Hank Arron (the baseball player) owns a BMW dealership in Atlanta. Is that what he was talking about???
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The big picture here is in the whole world if you asked someone on the street who

Hank Aaron was

Stephen King was

or Hulki was

How many people would know?

Hulik is known in the Fiero circles but even in the automotive collectors he is some what of an unknow. Hulki kept a low profile and was not a engineer that seeked a lot of attention. He showed up at a show I was at unanounced looked around. He spoke to me and a couple others and left. Even many of the Fiero people did not notice him there.

There may be some added value in this name on this car if more than 2 people want it bad enought to drive the price up. But the reality is if this car went to a large auction like Barret Jackson etc the name would have little effect.

Now get a Fiero that was owned by John Schinella the designer it may find a better offer. John was very well known and high profiled at GM on many cars. He is well known as the guy who fought Bill Mitchell to put the Screaming Chicken on the Trans Am. John over saw most of the best and sportiest cars from GM in the 60's-70's-80's and early 90's. Even then if the 88 GT he has is just stock the name would not help the price much even with most GM collectors knowing full and well who he is.

Note John may be one of the best people to speak on the Fiero as he was there from the start to the end where he fought for the car in 1988. He is also the one who helped it live on in the 4th gen F body as he has his staff use the styling in the new car. He said it was too good to not use it.

I think if most will look around many of the cars tied to a GM designer or engineer has limited value unless the car has something special done to it. One such car that may be coming in the 63 Grand Prix Mac Mckella owned. He just passed away and his car may come on the market. He is the father of Pontiac engine performace but the key is his GP is a OHC 421 prototype. His name does help the car but the engine is what will be the point of interest.

If the Hulki car had a DOHC V6 or some other special thing about it that would get interest from outside collectors and effect price. But his name alone is hard to get many outside interested in a stock car. The cars price will be determinded by two Fiero fans and just how bad they want it.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

The big picture here is in the whole world if you asked someone on the street who

Hank Aaron was

Stephen King was

or Hulki was

How many people would know?

How many Fiero people would know? In the end, does knowing the creator of the car you bought and love imbue it with special meaning and value? That is up to the bidders to decide. For me, if I had the cash flow and a place to put it I would have bought it.
Flamberge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlambergeSend a Private Message to FlambergeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Flamberge

4268 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Originally posted by boomme:

This is a $9500.00 book that once sat on Stephen King's home office shelf for 20 years... (his personal copy)

Hmmm....
I wonder if I could trade it for this Fiero...

It's funny you posted this picture, because if I had one copy of one book on the earth it would be that one.
wesailit57

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wesailit57Send a Private Message to wesailit57Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, facts on the internet, this thread could get near amusing.
What's not amusing is the prices. The Barrett/Jackson auction just ended; and even though they didn't say , I believe prices are down. Up a little from 2 years ago, but no where near what prices were 5 years ago. Back to the Fiero's
Hulki's @ 10,500
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item20ba83202f
Niice ragtop @ 2800 with 2 hours to go ??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...AB%3AWNA%3AUS%3A1123

I think it's more the economy than the product (Fiero)
Great time to buy, lousy time to sell

[This message has been edited by wesailit57 (edited 06-26-2011).]

N8_MS3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2011 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N8_MS3Send a Private Message to N8_MS3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Super Clean!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock