Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  85 GT Ecotec turbo project "Fierion" (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
85 GT Ecotec turbo project "Fierion" by coppertop_01
Started on: 09-28-2010 10:53 AM
Replies: 166 (7664 views)
Last post by: Bridgetown on 10-04-2014 08:27 PM
coppertop_01

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2011 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kingpin angle was made to match the 88 setup, CCfiero dropped me the dimensions. As for the scrub radius and other control arms I will be measuring everything up and getting some solid drawings made up so I can check everything out, I did look at the upper control arm, the pictures make it look like it is angling downward when in reality they are sitting very close to parallel with the ground right now. When I built everything I designed it with the ability to adjust everything so if something comes up where there is an issue I can adjust it out.

BTW I got the inner tie rods installed and a stock set of Fiero units work great with the ION outer tie rods. It looks like I might have to shim the outer tie rods to get the proper angle but it doesn't look like they are out too much either.

Jer

------------------
86 GT daily driver w/mods
85 GT project car "Fierion"

Follow the buildup blog at http://coppertopautosports.blogspot.com

IP: Logged
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a lot of progress over the last couple weeks, little leaps and bounds but still a long way to go, the next milestone is going to be having the car ready for dis-assembly and ready to go out for acid dipping and start the finishing process by the fall, currently I am hoping to get all the accessories, meth tank/pump, nitrous tank/solenoids, overflow tanks, battery and anything else that isn't in the same place as a factory Fiero installed in the next couple weeks, maybe get the 240 dash test fit sometime in July, the rear clip is going to the shop on the weekend so I can custom make the rear hatch/fastback in June.

Check the blog for update pics.

Jer

------------------

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2011 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a small update posted on the blog, started building and mounting some of the misc pieces for the car, next week will see some more progress.

Jer

------------------

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I haven't been working on this over the last month and a half.........been uber busy at work, camping vacation, bought a new daily driver, sold the 3800SC Fiero ex daily driver (long story, wasn't a good fit for my daily driver, needed something that I could do home depot runs, carry large amount of tools around, etc etc), also the wife's jeep decided to weld the front pinion shaft bearing to the shaft and I am going to have to replace that in the next 2 weeks by replacing the entire axle (housing overheated and is probably garbage). I do have some things that need to be done, I got the sway bars in, just have to mount them and I still want to tackle some fibreglassing before the weather gets too cold.

Jer

------------------

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its been too long since I have updated or posted, summer has been too busy with many other projects/issues, finally got some work done to her tonight, something a long time in the making...........check out the blog.

Jer

------------------

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just looked into this thread and holy man. your doing some amazing work there. love your exhaust work as well. very nice.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am curious why you went with a2a instead of the more practical (moreso with mid engine cars) w2a? Also, excellent fab work!

------------------
2010 WRX, w2a chargecooled & stage II
1987 Fiero GT 3.4TDC w/ n20
KTM 250SX

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to find this on PFF, I've been following the topic on blogspot. Please keep updating it, and don't be shy to post pictures.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Glad to find this on PFF, I've been following the topic on blogspot. Please keep updating it, and don't be shy to post pictures.
I also noticed your blog entries only have times, but not dates. Is this a setting you could change?

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

I also noticed your blog entries only have times, but not dates. Is this a setting you could change?

Thanks, I try to post pics but with this thread, a local board and a couple other message boards posting update pictures on 4 or 5 sites really gets to be time consuming, thats why I started the blog, one location I can link on different boards, I have tried to post sneak pictures in the past though.........

Today I will be working on my steering wheel adapter and maybe get the steering wheel finally mounted.

Jer

------------------

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm fine with you just posting pics on the blog. (for simplicity) But please post more pics, and when you have time revisit posts for more detailed info. It makes a great read.

PFF
System Bot
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2011 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input I will see what I can do

BTW another posting, added a steering wheel last night

Jer

------------------
2000 Saturn wagon, the tool box, cargo hauler and beater.....mods coming.
86 GT ex-daily driver w/3800SC, sold to a friend who is going to be racing it.

[This message has been edited by coppertop_01 (edited 10-05-2011).]

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2011 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update tonight, getting the final seating position all set up, steering hard mounted, rad fans, basically trying to clean up odds and ends.

Jer

------------------

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2011 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates? On blog, or here?
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2011 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blog is always updated as I add more stuff, the last few weeks have been pretty busy, unfortunately not with the car but there is a couple small changes posted on the blog.

Tonight I am going to be working on the new hatch, I worked a couple things out with the hinging on Friday so I have my hinges almost ready to mount. Also I have the alum tubing for the trunk main supports ready, gotta make a couple brackets, weld a few things and it should be ready for mounting.

I've been putting off welding on the rear brake caliper tabs, I really gotta get onto that.

Jer

------------------

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did another update, sorry its been so long this month, things have been happening but its not been on the car, had a couple weeks of looking at another job with another company, then unfortunately I had a emergency run to the ER early last week and still awaiting test results (not me, but in my family), working out 3-5 times a week for the last 2.5 months (down 15lbs), 4 xmas parties and still two xmas dinners to do, nevermind new years.......so the car has been the last thing on my mind this month.

There are a few things going, got the wheels on again, started mocking up the front swaybar tonight, found a problem with the steering geometry that I will have to work out, had to re-design the shifter assembly for the 240 dashboard setup, while doing that I decided to switch to an adjustable cable setup.......the project never ends

Check the blog for pics, www.coppertopautosports.blogspot.com

Jer

------------------

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shifter assembly is complete and works, had a couple problems but after a day and a half I worked out 99% of the bugs and it seems to be working well. Also did a little more work to the hatch assembly, installed a couple gas struts and built the first piece of ducting that will ram air into the intercooler setup.

Might be going back to stage one with the front suspension, I'm looking to get my hands on a 88 front suspension cradle, if so then I'll be using that instead of the 85......more work.

Pics will be up on the blog later today and I toss a couple up here.

Jer

------------------

[This message has been edited by coppertop_01 (edited 12-29-2011).]

Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2011 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coppertop_01:

I'm looking to get my hands on a 88 front suspension cradle, if so then I'll be using that instead of the 85......more work.

I have an 88 front suspension that I'm not going to use on my car. It's in exellent shape. I'm in Oakville so if you want to come have a look at it, let me know.

[This message has been edited by Eau_Rouge (edited 12-29-2011).]

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2012 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump for updates, got the 88 cradle from eau_rouge, started building new lower control arms, also got the last gauge pod mocked up in the dash........I think it has more gauges than a jetplane.....

Check the blog for photo's

------------------

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2012 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick update of the front suspension rebuild, its been a while since I've had time to work on her but I'm trying to get it back on its wheels soon.........check the blog for pics.

Jer

------------------

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been slacking on this project for the last couple months.......started overhauling the daily driver and haven't quite finished yet, although the end of that project is drawing close, then its back onto this one.

Jer
PFF
System Bot
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its been a long time since I've updated this site, my blog is updated but even then its been a long time since I got anything done on the project, been laid up for a couple months.........currently training my body to walk again and with that comes the projects. Since I'm on modified duties I figured I would do something that is a little less labor intensive so I started on the custom ION/Fiero wiring harness.

Check the blog for more details on the custom harness, but here's a bit of a teaser pic.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Not much to look at, but if you look hard enough there's a Fiero harness strung out on the floor, on top of that is the stripped down ION harness that is getting modified with Fiero connectors where needed, trimmed or lengthened to match the Fiero dimensions.

Jer

------------------

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see this project still alive! I was hoping it didn't get abandoned
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Learning to walk again...?? What happened?
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2012 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not abandoned, guess it went on the back burner for a while, I busted my leg in late July, needed an titanium nail to be inserted in my Tibia, back on my feet for a week now with no crutches or cane, walking is difficult and some days more painful than the other but its getting better.

Since I'm still not mobile enough and would be a little to painful to actually do work to the chassis currently I figured I'd at least start doing something that required more patience and brains than brawn.

Jer
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick update with pic of the work that I did yesterday, check the blog for the full writeup.

Jer

------------------
2000 SW2 5spd, First S-series w/Hein's true A-arm front suspension, First sedan/wagon w/coupe front end conversion, boxed in rear subframe, SPS 3-way rear swaybar, Corado 11" rotor swap w/Wilwood superlight 2 front calipers, rear disk swap, Deeb's built engine w/dual intake cam's, OBX header, High flow cat, Thermal exhaust, MSD wires and coils, AEM CAI, OBX rad hoses, custom short throw shifter, black leather swap, black interior swap and there's a stereo somewhere in there.

[This message has been edited by coppertop_01 (edited 10-29-2012).]

Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That, sir, is the way I want to do it. At least, assuming you plan on having all the air going through the rad come out through a hood vent, it is. Nice work.
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is what I am planning, going to have a lot of fun with aluminum, gotta make a splitter, feed it into the rad and vent it out the hood, plus belly pan the car all the way to the back.

Jer
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by coppertop_01:

That is what I am planning, going to have a lot of fun with aluminum, gotta make a splitter, feed it into the rad and vent it out the hood, plus belly pan the car all the way to the back.

Jer

Taking it all the way...excellent!
Looking forward to seeing the build and the results!
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2012 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update for the last two weeks, got most of the welding done on my tubular front end, also went back to the exhaust system and took it apart to rebuild the orientation of the turbo and exhaust piping.

Check the blog for updates, but here's a couple teaser pics.

Jer
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2012 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
God help you if you have to replace your brake booster...
PFF
System Bot
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2012 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't as bad as it looks, just need to unbolt the master and move it out of the way, there's lots of room under the booster to angle it down and pull it out of the firewall.

Jer
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2012 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Project update, big progress today, fabrication is 99% complete (well what I need to get done before the chassis goes off for blasting and finishing)

Pics are uploading right now on my blog, check it out let me know what you think.

Jer

------------------
2000 SW2 5spd, First S-series w/Hein's true A-arm front suspension, First sedan/wagon w/coupe front end conversion, boxed in rear subframe, SPS 3-way rear swaybar, Corado 11" rotor swap w/Wilwood superlight 2 front calipers, rear disk swap, Deeb's built engine w/dual intake cam's, OBX header, High flow cat, Thermal exhaust, MSD wires and coils, AEM CAI, OBX rad hoses, custom short throw shifter, black leather swap, black interior swap and there's a stereo somewhere in there.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2012 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks awesome, its going to be a hell of a car!

Love the location of the intercooler too, very interesting.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have more info/pics regarding how you built your front upper control arms?

http://coppertopautosports....-rebuild-part-2.html
http://coppertopautosports....-rebuild-part-3.html
http://coppertopautosports....-rebuild-part-4.html

I'm making some changes to my front suspension to reduce pro-dive geometry, and will end up needing extended caster adjustment range beyond what the stock front suspension is designed to provide.

I have ideas in my head, but wanted a better look at what you've done.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Read the blog for the first time, and I must say, what amazing fabrication work, that is just awesome. Keep up the good work!
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will, unfortunately most of my designs were lost a while ago when my thumb drive decided to take a crap.......I lost a lot of designs, but I did base it mostly on CCfiero's ecotec build, he used SPC or SPS pre-made control arms, which worked well on his build, originally I was using a 84-87 front end which had smaller upper control arms, so small that SPC didn't have anything that I could use. But since I swapped to the 88 front end I could go and use the same setup as him (but its a waste of money at this point since I can re-use what I have built)

Also I did a bunch of reading on a couple suspension websites to get the proper anti-dive angles but mostly kept the setup as close to the 88 design/dimensions as I could.

Jer
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was basically going to end up with a design similar to this: http://www.spcperformance.com/race

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thats pretty much what I based mine on......

Jer
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2013 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When can I see this in person
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock