BUILDING MY FIRST CHOP TOP by FIEROSMIGLA
Started on: 08-04-2010 07:56 PM
Replies: 230 (25433 views)
Last post by: FIEROSMIGLA on 03-28-2016 08:24 PM
FIEROSMIGLA

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Detailing it tonight it will be ready cant wait to meet up with everyone!!!!
Perfect weather!!!

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

X2

------------------
87 FIERO GT ( CHOPT TOP ALMOST FINISHED)
SEARCHING FOR MY NEXT GT TO CHOP
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

IP: Logged
Ruffy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very very nice car! i love the detail your putting into it. i wish you had a few more pics of where you cut it and then you cutting it. i see many chop top posts around and i havent seen one that put pics on where they cut it anyhow nice car!
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ruffy:

i see many chop top posts around and i havent seen one that put pics on where they cut it anyhow nice car!

Order some windows from Archie, he will send you a CD with pictures and instruction
Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

Order some windows from Archie, he will send you a CD with pictures and instruction

what was the cost of just the chop top build?
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a ton of pics after the show I will post them.

very very nice car! i love the detail your putting into it. i wish you had a few more pics of where you cut it and then you cutting it. i see many chop top posts around and i havent seen one that put pics on where they cut it anyhow nice car!

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIEROSMIGLA

324 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Are you doing it yourself?

what was the cost of just the chop top build?

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROSMIGLA:

Are you doing it yourself?

yeppers i dont know what all it is. i thought you needed your windshield cut down but it look like most just cut the back and pull it down then weld?

[This message has been edited by Ruffy (edited 03-24-2011).]

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock windshield no modification or cutting . But at least a day of welding , lots of fiberglass work I probably have 700+ hours in labor in mine . That includes total car.

yeppers i dont know what all it is. i thought you needed your windshield cut down but it look like most just cut the back and pull it down then weld?

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you make it seem much easier now! im good at doing alot of fab to my limits of the tools i have. so really it shouldnt cost anything but welding wire and some fiberglass? 700 hours seems like alot but im sure thats with paint and the other mods you have done.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2011 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just read through the whole build and wow - freaking gorgeous! I usually don't like choptops(mainly because I know I won't fit in one) but yours is absolutely stunning.
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2011 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It just takes time and patience most of that 700 hours was into the chop and fiberglass, black shows everything if it's not flawless it will look horrible thats why so much time was put into it. Keep in mind this started as a mint 87 GT with 50,000 miles so imagine how much more time it would take if the car was rough!! Good luck with your project can't wait to see the build call Archie and get the kit!

you make it seem much easier now! im good at doing alot of fab to my limits of the tools i have. so really it shouldnt cost anything but welding wire and some fiberglass? 700 hours seems like alot but im sure thats with paint and the other mods you have done.

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

PFF
System Bot
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2011 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIEROSMIGLA

324 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Thanks it's ready for the show heading over soon I'm lucky I live about 15 min away !! Here are some pics taken this morning !!

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

I just read through the whole build and wow - freaking gorgeous! I usually don't like choptops(mainly because I know I won't fit in one) but yours is absolutely stunning.

mg]https://images.fiero.nl/2011/show1.jpg[/img]

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

Ruffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2011 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RuffySend a Private Message to RuffyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
drooling and more drooling and a little bit more. for a mostly stock body fiero you have topped the cake! very very nice car. no need for a kit when you have the Fierosmigla look going for you
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2011 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WoW....

Any plans for an Engine upgrade?
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2011 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next chop will have a engine upgrade this one is getting bigger brakes a few things on the engine powder coated other than that it's just about complete.

Originally posted by nosrac:

WoW....

Any plans for an Engine upgrade?

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a ton of fun today met so many cool people! Weather was incredible !! I think I found my next chop project heading to Orlando to look it over. Great to meet up with everyone!!!!

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ron it was so great to finally get to meet you after talking online for so long.

Just a really, really cool guy and your car was amazing ! Probably one of the cleanest custom fieros i have ever seen.

Looking forward to hanging out again soon.
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks man it was great to finally meet up !! I was bummed about your chop not being there , I will definatley see you at the meetings I should have time to attend would love to meet up again. You gota get your car to Daytona Next year!!!!!!! I think I found my next chop project! Buying a car from a Fiero member that came to the show.

Originally posted by exoticse:
Ron it was so great to finally get to meet you after talking online for so long.

Just a really, really cool guy and your car was amazing ! Probably one of the cleanest custom fieros i have ever seen.

Looking forward to hanging out again soon.

------------------
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony any updates on your chop, I lowered my seats and LED sidemarkers will be installed ,should have my projector retrofit lights here soon. I will have pics up this weekend! Is the meeting Thursday ? If so I can make it!

Thanks man it was great to finally meet up !! I was bummed about your chop not being there , I will definatley see you at the meetings I should have time to attend would love to meet up again. You gota get your car to Daytona Next year!!!!!!! I think I found my next chop project! Buying a car from a Fiero member that came to the show.

------------------
87 FIERO GT CHOP TOP
86 GT Red 4spd
08 CORVETTE Z06
10 CAMARO SS
07 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony any updates on your chop, I lowered my seats and LED sidemarkers will be installed ,should have my projector retrofit lights here soon. I will have pics up this weekend! Is the meeting Thursday ? If so I can make it!

Hey Ron !

The LEDs are going to look sweet on your car. That and the projector lights will really modernize it. My car ? I am really getting excited, Dean is preparing to install my widebody kit.

Yes the meeting is Thursday, OF NEXT WEEK, would love to see you make it out ! We hang out for pizza, beer, and food at Anthony's after the meeting. See you there ! Call me if you can't find it.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 04-25-2011).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2011 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any pics of the new updates ?

Ron i still have those seats BTW.
PFF
System Bot
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any pics of the new updates ?

Ron i still have those seats BTW.

Hey Tony here is a few pics , I started working on a nice 86 GT and a Fiero Indy Pace car and havent posted much , your car is looking great can't wait to see it. Bet you feel the same!! This is the LED and projector retrofit lights. I still want those seats I need to grab them if I can ever make it to a meeting.

------------------
1987 FIERO GT CHOP TOP
1986 FIERO GT
1984 FIERO INDY PACE CAR
2011 CORVETTE GRAND SPORT
2007 JEEP WRANGLER 4 DOOR
2006 MERCEDES SLK

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2011 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ron have you picked out your new wheels yet ?
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy comoly !!!! She's a beauty there Ron .... happy to see your car choptop style !!! The markers look sharpy sharp too

------------------

My build Thread
http://www.tylerstoy.com

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 09-15-2011).]

Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't I see this one up for sale on EBAY a week or two ago? Hope not!

Jim
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's entirely possible ,........Ron builds, restores, and sells " A LOT " of fieros.

I think he is over or close to 100 in all.

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2011 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FIEROSMIGLA : check your PM

Thanks!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can't wait to see what is next.
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can't wait to see what is next.

It's almost time for Daytona plan on starting a 3.8 SC swap after the show detailed the Chop the last few months can't wait for the show . Hope to see all of you there .

------------------
1987 FIERO GT CHOP TOP
2011 CORVETTE GRAND SPORT
2006 MERCEDES SLK

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2012 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been awhile since I updated anything , I have Russ working on my interior pieces and I just added the dual action front turn signals.

------------------
1987 FIERO GT BLACK CHOP TOP AUTO
1987 FIERO GT MED RED 5spd
1987 FIERO GT BLACK 5spd
1988 FIERO GT RED 5 Spd

2012 Nissan 370z Nismo
2006 MERCEDES SLK

nightonfire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always nice to check out your thread, and see a chop top that was done right !
PFF
System Bot
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nightonfire:

Always nice to check out your thread, and see a chop top that was done right !

Thanks I got backed up doing other Fiero projects, I have 4 low milage GTs now , I plan on a 3.8 SC next .

------------------
1987 FIERO GT BLACK 5spd
1988 FIERO GT RED 5 Spd

2012 Nissan 370z Nismo
2006 MERCEDES SLK

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks I got backed up doing other Fiero projects, I have 4 low milage GTs now , I plan on a 3.8 SC next .

LOOK WHAT RUSS DID!! Check out the center console and door pulls , next will be the guage pod and the A and B pillars.

[This message has been edited by FIEROSMIGLA (edited 10-17-2012).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow !

Russ does some really good work.
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow !

Russ does some really good work.

I know I can't wait to get the rest of finished , I really need to start driving it , I haven't taken any of my Fieros out , all summer I just sold my mint med red 5spd so I'm down to 3 GTs now .

------------------
1987 FIERO GT BLACK 5spd
1988 FIERO GT RED 5 Spd

2012 Nissan 370z Nismo
2006 MERCEDES SLK

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LOOK WHAT RUSS DID!! Check out the center console and door pulls , next will be the guage pod and the A and B pillars.

Does anyone know how my pictures keep getting hacked into , I didn't post that drinking game pic

------------------
1987 FIERO GT BLACK 5spd
1988 FIERO GT RED 5 Spd

2012 Nissan 370z Nismo
2006 MERCEDES SLK

FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIEROSMIGLA

324 posts
Member since Nov 2008
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FIEROSMIGLA:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FIEROSMIGLA:

Does anyone know how my pictures keep getting hacked into , I didn't post that drinking game pic

I fixed it , but every time I post pics they get hacked into.

------------------
1987 FIERO GT BLACK 5spd
1988 FIERO GT RED 5 Spd

2012 Nissan 370z Nismo
2006 MERCEDES SLK

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could you go into a bit of detail on how you did the decklid lexan? What thickness did you use? How did you attach it from the bottom?
How is it holding up? How do you keep it from scratching? Any regrets? Things you would have done differently the second time around?
FIEROSMIGLA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2013 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROSMIGLASend a Private Message to FIEROSMIGLAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Could you go into a bit of detail on how you did the decklid lexan? What thickness did you use? How did you attach it from the bottom?
How is it holding up? How do you keep it from scratching? Any regrets? Things you would have done differently the second time around?

I believe it's 3/4 Lexan , a router was used to shave down the edge so it fits perfect and has a rolled edge like a new ZR1 Vette. It is installed with eurothane and two small tabs are mounted at the top and bottom to hold it in and make it bend to the shape of the dec lid. No issues with scratching ,If it does get a scratch it would just buff out. Not one issues I wouldn't change a thing. PM me I will give you my cell easier to explain over the phone . My buddy that helped build this car is building a chop that will be for sale and he will be doing the same mod again I can take better pics .

------------------
1987 FIERO GT BLACK CHOP TOP
1987 FIERO GT WHITE
1988 FIERO GT RED
1986 FIERO GT BLACK
My build thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/082162.html

2012 Nissan 370z Nismo
2006 MERCEDES SLK

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ron,

Anything new with the chop ??

P.S. Congratulations on the new baby !
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave