Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  86-88 GT sail panels still available? (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
86-88 GT sail panels still available? by sricka01
Started on: 01-03-2010 07:52 PM
Replies: 103 (7222 views)
Last post by: mcgavin on 02-20-2017 12:35 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2012 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dre13Style:

Does anyone here have Chris Cooks email or phone? i need a set of sails ASAP
I tried Ccook03@comcast.net but it came back as undeliverable

This works: chriscookdesigns@yahoo.com
His website Contact http://www.etsy.com/people/chriscookdesigns
IP: Logged
Dre13Style

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2012 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dre13StyleSend a Private Message to Dre13StyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome thank you! i was able to get ahold of him and i ordered my set!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2012 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Then I used black silicon and they are there for good but on one side the silicon reacted with the panel black paint and some stain bleed thru to the outside

The back of the panels is silk-screened on with Nazdar silk-screen INK. It is Nazdar all purpose #9724 ink (info from Chris).
That's why it is fragile, easily scratched, rubs off with a chemical cleaner (eg: acetone) and reacts to tube type adhesives.

I finally tried installing these last weekend (haven't driven my car since last fall). Passenger side fit reasonably decent.

Driver's side was terrible, so I removed it right away. Rubbing the tape off (it rolls off under thumb pressure quite easily) took the backing off in spots.
Now I have to find some Nazdar Ink to salvage the panel. Looks like only 3 places in Canada have this stuff (probably only comes in gallons too).

Chris said some grinding may be necessary for the panels to fit properly. My mistake. I thought they were supposed to fit right "out of the box".

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-08-2012).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2012 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Chris said some grinding may be necessary for the panels to fit properly. My mistake. I thought they were supposed to fit right "out of the box".

Mine fit perfectly out of the box...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Mine fit perfectly out of the box...

It's obvious from the first set I got (see earlier in this thread) there's some variance in the final size of the panels.
I guess it's the luck of the draw on how a set you get will fit - some sets are great, others not so.

mikejhjr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mikejhjrSend a Private Message to mikejhjrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's obvious from the first set I got (see earlier in this thread) there's some variance in the final size of the panels.
I guess it's the luck of the draw on how a set you get will fit - some sets are great, others not so.

I had the same issue with a set about a month ago and Alex pointed me to this thread. I ordered mine from the Fiero Store and have since returned them, but I had the same issue. When I test fit the panel it was about 1/4 inch too long and the other was even worse, there was no way to fit them and that's a lot of material to grind off. Like you said, luck of the draw.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is too sad that this happens to these panels. I think they are super nice looking compared to the rest. But I wonder why the inconsistency.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The back of the panels is silk-screened on with Nazdar silk-screen INK. It is Nazdar all purpose #9724 ink (info from Chris).
That's why it is fragile, easily scratched, rubs off with a chemical cleaner (eg: acetone) and reacts to tube type adhesives.

So…

This Nazdar Ink is NOT something you can buy in a 1 oz tube (all I would need for touchup) at Staples.

It appears only 2 companies in Canada handle this stuff (not in my city of course).
Smallest size it comes in is a 1 Quart can at $40/quart and shipping it is another $15 (completely ridiculous I know).

At that cost, I may as well just order a single new panel from Chris for $100.

I'll try repairing the damage on the silkscreened back with spray paint of some type.
If the solvents in the paint eat into the thing, I guess I have to order another panel.

I think I should have just left the old things I had on the car.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-15-2012).]

Cplensdorf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CplensdorfClick Here to visit Cplensdorf's HomePageSend a Private Message to CplensdorfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it possible to "repair" a set of Lori's that have separated using this Nazdar ink? Mine still fit and look good except for the tape separation.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want a set, too!
mcgavin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2016 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcgavinClick Here to visit mcgavin's HomePageSend a Private Message to mcgavinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried emailing chriscookdesigns@yahoo.com
No response yet. What's the best way to get tinted sails for an 88 GT?
PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2016 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-...AOSw0e9UxsCG&vxp=mtr

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2003 BMW 330I
2009 Dodge Charger

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2016 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcgavin:

Like Fiero Thomas linked above.
Those are the ones Chris makes.
He`s not much for communication but if you order them they will show up.
At least that was my experience.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2016 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may be a bit biased because that's what I have on my car, but I think the BEST (even better than factory) option out there is the GT#1 style from Fiero Fiberglass. My car is the blue one you see on their website.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

They need a little fitting and finishing work to make them look perfect, but once they're done they're great. The best part is you can reach through them. My engine swap would have been a lot tougher if I had OE windows in place.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without the whole piece it will heat up your engine bay. Scoops are bad too, as it is a low pressure area and sucks out the heat.

Now, the Fierostore sells the sail panels, and they are real good, they may be cook's I don't know, but they are very good. Everyone seems to bag on them but I bet they have never seen them in person. So don't comment on them if you haven't seen them, we just got a set of the tinted, and they they look real good, and I have an old set from them and again they are real good, all the correct curves, the dot matrix looks spot on. Plus awesome customer service. And comes with the mounting tape too.

Just letting everyone know another source on where to find them.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TFS once told me they carry Chris Cook's and the ones from another guy with initials in his name. This info may be outdated.

I don't know for sure, but I think I have Chris'. Not perfect, but better than cracked or missing. I think other things that are wrong cause problems with one window.
pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2016 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just bought a driver's side panel from Chris. It fits perfectly (and I reviewed just about everything I could on here about that - there were some negatives - but I didn't experience that).

I didn't need the passenger side so I can compare the original vs. Chris'. Fit is fine. Chris' are thinner than the original and flex a bit if pushed on. The dot matrix pattern is not quite the same. Chris' panels seem a little flatter.

Frankly, only persons unfamiliar with Fieros would be able to tell.

For the price I recommend Chris' product and would buy again from him.

[This message has been edited by pcgold (edited 10-01-2016).]

mcgavin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2016 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcgavinClick Here to visit mcgavin's HomePageSend a Private Message to mcgavinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, I had to buy one because my car is getting painted and the paint guy broke the driver's side while taking it off. The problem I have is that the panels I had were already new-ish replacements (2011), but they were all the same shade of tint, no dot matrix printing, no GT logo. The only record of buying them I can find is a shipper with Ken Hines name and address in VA. I dropped a message in the contact box on his website, http://www.kahines.com/, but that website looks really rough. I actually prefer the all one tint look without any logo. It looks more sleek. I already filled in the Pontiac logo on the headlight cover and painted over the GT logo on the rear under the tail light. Less decals looks better, I don't care about being OEM.

Does anyone have an email or phone number for Ken Hines? Does anyone know if he still makes panels? I checked zillow and the address I have for him is a home address that doesn't look like it's been sold in the last 10 years ... so I could mail an actual letter to him ... does non-e-mail still work? Whats a stamp?

Chris did get back to me and I did buy the driver's side from him through Ebay, seller name "gtfiero". It looks great but I haven't tried installing it yet. I will wait to see if I can get one from Ken Hines first.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2016 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

TFS once told me they carry Chris Cook's and the ones from another guy with initials in his name. This info may be outdated.

Kahines probably. Usually pronounced K-Hines

Does anyone have an email or phone number for Ken Hines? Does anyone know if he still makes panels? I checked zillow and the address I have for him is a home address that doesn't look like it's been sold in the last 10 years ... so I could mail an actual letter to him ... does non-e-mail still work? Whats a stamp?

He may be selling thru the Fierostore, at least his notchie panels. He has stuff on ebay and his own website. I installed some of his I bought new from him in 2011.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-07-2016).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2016 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
TFS

Looks like they have tinted and untinted fastback sails on their site.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-07-2016).]

mcgavin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2016 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcgavinClick Here to visit mcgavin's HomePageSend a Private Message to mcgavinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Response from Fiero Store:

We used to carry the Ken Hines windows, but we currently only offer Chris Cook's windows. As much as we would like to help you with the Ken
Hines windows, we do not know how to contact him. We've tried emails and phone calls in the past without success. Please let us know if you
have any other questions or concerns.
PFF
System Bot
mcgavin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2016 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcgavinClick Here to visit mcgavin's HomePageSend a Private Message to mcgavinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received a response from Kenneth Hines:

Scott,

Received your letter. I still make the windows a couple of times a year. I have a couple of tinted sets in inventory. They are boxed up and sold only in pairs. I can sell you a set shipped to you for $115. They could ship out to you on Monday. You can send payment through PayPal to kahines1965@gmail.com

Let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Kenneth
mcgavin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcgavinClick Here to visit mcgavin's HomePageSend a Private Message to mcgavinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drama over here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097184.html

To be clear, when I say that I received a response from Ken, it was from the hand written letter to his home address. I am still waiting on my panels and the car is stored now for the last few weeks since winter has arrived. I emailed him a month ago and he responded. I just wrote him again today to ask how things are going. I don't really care how long it takes to get them at the moment. Too cold to install them anyways. I'm debating getting the fiberglass ones with the holes in them to hopefully help airflow over the supercharger as well.
mcgavin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcgavinClick Here to visit mcgavin's HomePageSend a Private Message to mcgavinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still no panels. Email I sent today:

Hi Ken,

I'm assuming you aren't shipping the panels anymore and consider my money stolen. Hopefully, reading an email from someone writing calmly and clearly describing with sound reasoning that they consider you a thief will inspire you to refund me my money. I partially blame myself for not reading more about all your bad reviews, which are easy to come by on the forum. I've shared my story on the forum here:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/079007-3.html#p101

If you refund me my money, I will update the thread to let everyone know that you did at least that much. Today I ordered another set of panels from fierofiberglass.com.

-Scott

Jim from fierofiberglass.com was very nice to talk to and I look forward to installing his product on my car. If I get panels from Ken I'll probably just relist them on the forum. Oh well.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock