Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  86-88 GT sail panels still available? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
86-88 GT sail panels still available? by sricka01
Started on: 01-03-2010 07:52 PM
Replies: 103 (7225 views)
Last post by: mcgavin on 02-20-2017 12:35 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2011 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got them the other day. Just finished removing the old reproductions I'd had on there for 10 years.

Anyone have fitment issues with the reproduction GT panels from Chris Cook?
The front edge looks to be 3/16" further forward when compared to an original 88 GT.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-08-2011).]

IP: Logged
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2011 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it look like it will interfere wih the door window when the door opens and closes?

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 10-09-2011).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Does it look like it will interfere wih the door window when the door opens and closes?

Not sure. The end of the metal trim on the door seals need to be cut back on both sides.
More on the driver's side. I've marked the front edge of the panel on some tape.
The second line is the front edge of the stock panels on Paul's 88 GT (panel edge in in groove)

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-09-2011).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This sounds very wrong. You shouldn't have to modify your existing vehicle to make windows fit correctly......especially removing some metal from the car?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll have to email Chris Cook and ask about these. May be just a bad set.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-09-2011).]

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2011 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just over at Tony's to have a look. These are 1/4" longer than my stock 88's. If you hold the driverside window in place the edge of the door glass will clip it when you open the window. They look like great products except that these are definately too long.

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 10-10-2011).]

Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2011 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

This sounds very wrong. You shouldn't have to modify your existing vehicle to make windows fit correctly......especially removing some metal from the car?

I would think it would be better to grab some sandpaper and go to work on the new plastic 1/4 window and make it fit.

If you start sanding with heavy grit paper it will speed it up a bit, then go with finer paper until you get to 2000 grit or so to smooth it. Finally polish it out with auto paint polish and then cornstarch mixed with water. I've used this method on plastic items I used to make and when I was painting show bikes. You can get the paint looking like glass with cornstarch, water, and a lot of elbow grease.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
Monterey, California

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2011 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've made arrangements with Chris to exchange them for another set.

The driver's side doesn't even match the passenger side (too long) when set back-to-back (front edges sitting even).

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-11-2011).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2011 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
at least it looks like a genuine error which will be fixed
please keep us posted

jon
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2011 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please post up pictures. I'm very interested to see the fitted ones. Available W/o the dot matrix?

------------------

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No one has mentioned Fiero Store, they do sell them now.
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

No one has mentioned Fiero Store, they do sell them now.

My understanding is that they simply purchase the windows from one of the Ebay vendors, mark them up, add rip off shipping, and hope to make a mint from the sale.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2011 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I've made arrangements with Chris to exchange them for another set.

The driver's side doesn't even match the passenger side when set back-to-back (front edges sitting even).

So did the replacement came out good? I will need one of these soon so I would like to know all is good to order from him. Thanks
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2011 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a new replacement set. THANK YOU Chris

Too cold to install now but I test fit them and they will look very good.

We measured the stock panels on a 88 GT. They measured 28-3/4" +/- 1-1/6"
Unlike the earlier set I got, this new set is a matched pair with the right measurements.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 11-09-2011).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my panels but I have problems with one. In this case the problem is the driver one on the edge of the window from top to bottom is shorter by 1/8" The passenger and the ones I took out measure about 15-9/16" in that area. The new driver one measures 15-7/16 and is shorter all along. Sent message to Chris. Hope to hear soon from him. I just got my car back from the body shop and now I have all these "little" items delaying me putting it back toguether
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
This is the bad side. Also all around the dimensions are crooked.

Good one. This one fits perfectly all around.

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We need more pictures of these GT windows installed...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. All original.

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2012 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The guy who makes the best quarter window reproductions is Chris Cook of Indianapolis IN. The guy that makes the best sail panels (for the notchbacks) is Paul Mc Kibben. Chris windows are decent copies with excellent graphics but made not quite to the exact original contour. They do look good installed.
Pauls sail panels are so good they actually look better than the originals.I would not hessitate to use both.

any link to Mc Kibben? thanks..
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

any link to Mc Kibben? thanks..

http://www.fierosails.com/ This is his site.

[This message has been edited by 2farnorth (edited 04-22-2012).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2012 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank u
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

We need more pictures of these GT windows installed...

I installed Chris Cook's tinted GT quarter windows and they fit and look AWESOME!!!

------------------

Recent major upgrade at Whodeanie Customs with many cool TLG Automotive parts

www.yellowfiero.com Pictures Modifications

PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now if someone would only make GT tail lenses...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

I installed Chris Cook's tinted GT quarter windows and they fit and look AWESOME!!!

I still haven't installed the set I got last fall!!!

The tape I got must have been old or something - hardly any stickiness.
You can fold it back to stick it to itself and separate it again (should be inseperable).
I didn't want to risk having a window fly off on the highway after all this grief.

I've been trying to get more tape or a suitable alternative, with no success.
The OEM 1/8" thick 3M Y-4225 is discontinued. The others are too thin.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2012 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if anyone was making glass ones. Those would be much better in my opinion.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I still haven't installed the set I got last fall!!!

The tape I got must have been old or something - hardly any stickiness.
You can fold it back to stick it to itself and separate it again (should be inseperable).
I didn't want to risk having a window fly off on the highway after all this grief.

I've been trying to get more tape or a suitable alternative, with no success.
The OEM 1/8" thick 3M Y-4225 is discontinued. The others are too thin.

I used the 3M trim adhesive they sell now but it separated after 2 weeks. Then I used black silicon and they are there for good but on one side the silicon reacted with the panel black paint and some stain bleed thru to the outside
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

I used the 3M trim adhesive they sell now but it separated after 2 weeks. Then I used black silicon and they are there for good but on one side the silicon reacted with the panel black paint and some stain bleed thru to the outside

The previous owner did the same thing to my car... you can see the defects in direct sunlight. These were NOS windows too... a shame really.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2012 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All this engineering now needs to be applied to the GT tail light lenses... ASAP!
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look great Yellowstone.
I just won some on Ebay, hope mine look as good.
Mike
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just ordered a set from Chris Cook this morning. chriscookdesigns@yahoo.com

Edit; I have his number too. I can send in pm.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 05-24-2012).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, that`s why I think mine will look as good as Yellowstone`s, mine are from Chris too.
He does good work.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Must have gotten mine from the same batch that Fierosoud got his from becuase mine were too long too. I ended up having to trim off 1/8 - 1/4" of the end to make mine fit. I just used my grinder to trim a little off at a time until they fit. Look great, and I need to buy another set for my new 88 GT. I'll be calling Chris soon.

Rob
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2012 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone find an alternative tape? Haven't got an email response from Chris.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got my windows in from Chris and although I have not trial fitted them yet they look fantastic.
I was a little concerned about the GT showing up through the tint, but it looks great too.
Mike
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a package of window tape in the mail from Chris today.
I'll open it up and give installation a try this weekend.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierosound, did Chris say what model tape that is?
I got some, Red in color about 1/2" wide, with my windows, and I`m just wondering if it`s the 4004 some say is the best.
Mike
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought some 4004 from a member in the mall, must have been made in the 80s as it had no stick.. Like above, it wouldn't even stick to itself.. I got the tinted windows, no way I'm trusting them to that tape!

Anyone use the butyl "rope" stuff that they sell to install windshields? Holds the back window in pretty solid.. Don't want it to pull the paint off the window though..
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tape I got with my windows doesn`t seem to have much stick but as someone stated above it is heat activated, as in leaving in the sun for a while, which makes sense.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The closest tape I could find is the 3M 4959 series: http://solutions.3m.com/wps...M9FFQ2glM8S5Z4R9FFbl
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, the 4959 looks pretty strong and close to the original 4225.
It looks like the Shop3m site you can only buy it by the case, but I found on U-line you can buy a 36 yard roll for right at 100.00.
I will probably do that and sell what I don`t use.
Dre13Style

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2012 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dre13StyleSend a Private Message to Dre13StyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone here have Chris Cooks email or phone? i need a set of sails ASAP
I tried Ccook03@comcast.net but it came back as undeliverable
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay