Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  88 database guy (Page 18)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
88 database guy by qwikgta
Started on: 02-16-2009 09:17 PM
Replies: 687 (21336 views)
Last post by: 88 Database Guy on 03-25-2020 07:23 PM
sledcaddie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2020 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This topic is very confusing. In 2016, I had posted an 88 Fiero GT that I used to own. I don't see it listed any more.

Also saw a link for 88fiero.com, but it doesn't come up at all.

Originally, I thought this was to see how many 88 Fiero's were still owned, driven, and SURVIVED. Many of the posts on here are showing Fiero's that are stripped in junk yards, and ready to be crushed. What purpose does that serve? What is the final goal of all this data?

I purchased another 88 recently, and I'm not sure what good it would do to list it here.

Any updates from 88databaseguy, or someone who has taken this over? Just wondering.
IP: Logged
Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88databaseguy was attempting to document every 88 produced. He was looking for options, colors, production dates, etc., etc.
He was hoping to keep up with product changes (options availability or cancellations, odd combinations, color changes, etc., etc.)
So all 88s are important to this endeavor.

I don't understand why the car that you posted no longer appears. Are you sure it was this thread? There have been several.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-14-2020).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Click Here to Email css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sledcaddie:

Originally, I thought this was to see how many 88 Fiero's were still owned, driven, and SURVIVED. Many of the posts on here are showing Fiero's that are stripped in junk yards, and ready to be crushed. What purpose does that serve? What is the final goal of all this data?

It lends closure. The car in the junkyard today might already appear on the list as a driveable car a decade ago but since its now doomed to be crushed, the "driveable" record from a decade ago is no longer accurate and can be updated.

On that note, 1G2PE11R2JP201687 and 1G2PE11R3JP217316 are in a Kansas City junkyard.... Both white 4-cylinders.

[This message has been edited by css9450 (edited 03-20-2020).]

88 Database Guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Database GuyClick Here to visit 88 Database Guy's HomePageClick Here to Email 88 Database GuySend a Private Message to 88 Database GuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello From the 88 Database Guy. I want to thank everyone who's sent me data and posted info here. The database is still ongoing, and as Raydar said it is an attempt to document many aspects of the 88 production run. I will never get them all, but I decided long ago that gathering as much data as possible was a worthy pursuit. Right now I've got partial or complete info on a little over 6000 cars. I saw the two cars css posted on Row52 and he's absolutely right, one of these two cars was new and one was from a long time ago and I sure hated to change that car's entry to "dead". I gather info from the online auctions, sales sites including eBay, craigslist, kijiji, bringatrailer, and now even Facebook. If you've seen a car there chances are high that i've seen it too. Not to say I don't appreciate people posting the info on this thread, but for new people who are sending me info I would prefer you send me the info at john.willhoff@gmail.com so I can keep the records organized better. It's gotten to the point that with 6000+ cars, and multiple entries for many of them, I've got what I believe are solid statistics on the production run and I'll post some of those statistics soon.

A word about the value of all this. I have no illusions that whatever data I ultimately collect will be of much use to anyone. I simply intend to collect what I can with the time and resources I have available, because I think someone should be doing it. In talking to Robert Casey, the author of the great book "ALL 1984-1988 Pontiac Fiero Colors Codes & Quantities", we know that at one time all this production information was available. In fact, it may STILL exist but it's not known who has it or that it ever will be made public. What is not known by anyone is how many are gone already, and perhaps that's one of the most important things in this whole effort, to document them as they fade away. Not that I think the Fiero will ever become a super high dollar collectable car, even for the most rare ones, but documenting the survivors and destroyed cars is something I will continue to pursue.

If you would like to add your car, please send me the VIN, factory colors and options (sunroof, hardtop, 5spd, auto, wheel color, leather or lumbar seat, ttop!) to my email above and I'll add your car or update the entry for the car if I've already got it. I don't need your name or info in the database, I like to add it when it's available but if you don't want that info there I absolutely will not put it in there. This is a car database and not a owner database.

Thanks to Cliff for the wonderful forum and to everyone who's contributed over the years. With the new picture uploading feature (Awesome Cliff!) I will upload what may be one of the coolest things to come from collecting the car info so far. See below for a copy of the production color run info for the 1988 cars.

Thank You,

John
Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty cool!
Now I see why silver was so uncommon for 88.
FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WIClick Here to Email FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see John that you put up data, check your Facebook messenger I sent you a couple of things.
Talk to you soon..
FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WIClick Here to Email FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FIERO JOHN-WI

2254 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Radar that's why I hunted this down so early.. #silver88
88 Database Guy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Database GuyClick Here to visit 88 Database Guy's HomePageClick Here to Email 88 Database GuySend a Private Message to 88 Database GuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
John,

Sent you info on that car you asked about, also sent a question about the next one on the list!

JW
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 18 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock