Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any and all things 3.4 DOHC........... (Page 17)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 32 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any and all things 3.4 DOHC........... by pavo_roddy
Started on: 11-22-2006 12:30 AM
Replies: 1247 (67328 views)
Last post by: fliphone on 01-06-2024 02:30 PM
NYRED85GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will the starter off my 2.8 liter engine fit and work on the DOHC?
IP: Logged
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RUNDLC:

Congrats on getting the car started!! I had on heck of a time too!

On another note I just found the impossible! a 92 3.4L DOHC California 5 sp grand prix!! It has a tranny problem, but I am gonna buy it anyway! If nothing else I'll have a spare engine, complete wiring harness, stock AIR pump (YAHOO), 5 speed stock e-prom. I know the refs will ask what the donor car was/is.

RUNDLC

Congrats! Awesome find!!!! Good luck getting through smog. Should be a breeze now!

That will be a great source for parts even if the tranny is toast. I imagine you got a good deal on it ;-)

If the transmission is indeed messed up, maybe you can be the first to pull it apart and see what the deal is inside? I've never heard of anyone cracking one open... GM says its a non-service item (send back to GETRAG for repairs) BUT that doesn't mean there aren't other transmissions you can find that might share some parts with it. Maybe it can be fixed.

-Steven

Originally posted by NYRED85GT:

Will the starter off my 2.8 liter engine fit and work on the DOHC?

Yes it will work just fine.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

Yes it will work just fine.

It will work but a better solution would be to get the 96-97 DOHC starter which is a planetary drive and smaller form factor as well as lighter in weight

NYRED85GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I am going to run my 2.8 starter just to get the car started and test it. So much to do still until it will start up and drive.... I am trying to save some $$ right now.
olaf_fiero27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olaf_fiero27Send a Private Message to olaf_fiero27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys an alternator from the same generation of gm v6 will work correct? I have a first gen motor (92) and need to get an alternator for it.
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olaf_fiero27:

hey guys an alternator from the same generation of gm v6 will work correct? I have a first gen motor (92) and need to get an alternator for it.

It should work but you may have to reclock the alternator mount tabs by taking the bolts off of the alternator gently spilt the case enough to be able to twist the mount points to the correct location, line up bolt holes and re tighten. Make sure you retighten bolts evenly and not over tighten. I've done it with mine so I know its a doable

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

It will work but a better solution would be to get the 96-97 DOHC starter which is a planetary drive and smaller form factor as well as lighter in weight

Yeah the late 3400 and 3100 have those as well. Haven't seen too many 96-97 DOHCs in the junkyard. I have one from a 3400 on my car right now. I put them on a scale; the new one literally weighs half as much as the stock Fiero one.
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2008 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
let's talk exhaust for a second. 2.25 is the stock exhaust out i believe. So I'll start there. My muffler inlet is 3.0, with dual outlets of 2.5, Want to use dual exhaust tips from a cadillac which has an id of 1.75. so it would size like this 2.25 ---> 3.00 ---> 2.50 ----> 1.75, would my outlet be too small and cause problems? rereading this makes me dizzy.

dan
kawana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
moar videos! I need some revving and acceleration videos. Im trying to decide if this is for me, but i cant find any good WOT videos of these engines in a fiero, must sound different with the shorter exhaust?
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kawana:

moar videos! I need some revving and acceleration videos. Im trying to decide if this is for me, but i cant find any good WOT videos of these engines in a fiero, must sound different with the shorter exhaust?
I don't knwo if you a have seen this http://videos.streetfire.ne...he-Camera_139526.htm but its my DOHC Fiero at about 4500 rpm in 4th Muncie 4 speed. It really sounds higher pitch inside the car although the exhaust I had on it before sounded better. Stay away from turbo mufflers. They will lower the tone. Go with a high velocity minded exhaust size and straight through style mufflers and resonator tips and by all means make a true dual exhaust
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
got any in-car video's at WOT? Id really love to see one of those Some nice 6-7k rpm runs?
PFF
System Bot
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2008 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got an ok deal on the car, 850.00 I think the tranny is toast, no matter what gear it's in the car roll forward or backwards.
The car is in pretty decent shape. I am unsure if I should try and fix it and sell or just scrap all I can from it and send it to u-pull it.

We'll keep ya'll updated

RUNDLC
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got an ok deal on the car, 850.00 I think the tranny is toast, no matter what gear it's in the car roll forward or backwards.

Are you sure the clutch isn't just broken?
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Steven Snyder

3323 posts
Member since Mar 2004

got any in-car video's at WOT? Id really love to see one of those Some nice 6-7k rpm runs?

Not in-car but this is a run to ~6800 RPM on the dyno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z5_2suyVnc

------------------

1988 Pontiac Fiero 3.4 DOHC V6 5-speed
California Smog Legal!

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That does sound pretty nice... but come on.. your the owner of the car.. im sure you can manage a good in-car video? Idc if the camera is just sitting on the chair, i only want to hear it, doesn't need to look good. Pretty Please
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

Not in-car but this is a run to ~6800 RPM on the dyno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z5_2suyVnc

Dayuum, that must be loud, could see the camera vibrating!

Norm
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That does sound pretty nice... but come on.. your the owner of the car.. im sure you can manage a good in-car video?

When I'm in the car I'm too busy DRIVING! :-D
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2008 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://videos.streetfire.ne...time-pass_156776.htm

I like the fire coming out of my exhaust ...my Z28 used to shoot 8 ft long blue pulsing fireballs out the exhaust when in 800hp mode at night

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 04-08-2008).]

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i found this video that was pretty nice:
http://www.zippyvideos.com/63896539554315/whoa/
but i want more!!!
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its not much, but its all I can do with the car in the garage. I'm thinking 6300 RPM? I don't actually know what my rev limiter is set at right now.

[This message has been edited by Fierobsessed (edited 04-08-2008).]

fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just finished up a video:

BTW, I just got some 36lb injectors and a new chip is on it's way as well! So excited! Hoping to make some good gains. My injectors are currently way maxxed out according to rceng.com Going to the track sunday as well!

------------------

--180* t-stat, cams, 96-97 intake swap, FFP pulley, A/C Idler, P/S idler, ported exhaust mani's, ported lower intake, flowmaster exhaust, EGR delete, K&N filter, Darth Chip-- --13.8 @ 99 (before cams full street trim)--
--Check out the Fiero Kingdom!--
Beater: Flat black 90 CRX with a JDM D15 VTEC <--ballin'!

PFF
System Bot
Maloso

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalosoSend a Private Message to MalosoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The car is in pretty decent shape. I am unsure if I should try and fix it and sell or just scrap all I can from it and send it to u-pull it.

We'll keep ya'll updated

RUNDLC

If your considering selling the engine let me know.

Tony
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromadman:

BTW, I just got some 36lb injectors and a new chip is on it's way as well! So excited! Hoping to make some good gains. My injectors are currently way maxxed out according to rceng.com Going to the track sunday as well!

Good stuff, i saw your video earlier this morning on youtube. Do you have a version without the music? Whats your HP numbers? Was he really boosted? Seemed like a fairly even match, though i want to see one from a DIG Of course, that was a computer simulation right?

kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kawana

2329 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by fieromadman:

Good stuff, i saw your video earlier this morning on youtube. Do you have a version without the music? Whats your HP numbers? Was he really boosted? Seemed like a fairly even match, though i want to see one from a DIG Of course, that was a computer simulation right?

CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don’t know if this is proper but I’m in need of a 91-93 LQ1 manual tranny VIN number for diagnostic purposes.
Would like a 93 if possible.

Benn looking on the web with no luck?

Thanks
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes I have a version without the music... seemed a little bland to me though. I'd imagine that I have my injecotrs maxxed out right now so I should be around 240-250 crank. Just got those injectors so that should add a nice bump i'd imagine. He wouldn't race me from a dig and for good reasons, I've raced him from a dig in a GTI VR6 and beat him off the line good because his car doesn't hook up. And yes he was boosted... they come stock with turbos. It was very even, much to my dismay. I expected to do much better... And what am I even talking about this is all fake anyhow. :P

------------------

--180* t-stat, cams, 96-97 intake swap, FFP pulley, A/C Idler, P/S idler, ported exhaust mani's, ported lower intake, flowmaster exhaust, EGR delete, K&N filter, Darth Chip-- --13.8 @ 99 (before cams full street trim)--

RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maloso, It turns out the it had a broken pass side drive shaft. The engine does run really nice. I am gonna put some plugs in, changed that pesky dist gasket, valve cover gaskets and the axle.

I also bought (needed) a set of polished pony wheels to replace the missing front.

I hope to have it back up as a daily driver next week. The gal just didn't have friends that knew anything about cars. They told her the starter was bad also. It took about 10 mins. to get it running, let it run for about 30 mins. and the lifters cleared and is ready to go.

She may go up for sale after I talk to the refs about my swap.

CCRIDER I'll give you a call to see if you can use my vin

RUNDLC

[This message has been edited by RUNDLC (edited 04-17-2008).]

CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my injectors on Friday, went to the track today. Didn't do as well as I had hoped to but still a decent improvement over my last numbers with room for improvement still. So heres a video of my best run and a picture of the timeslip for that run and the one that I took before it. I'm in the left lane car #903.

YouTube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBez7_gSxhI

First Run:

Second Run (Fastest):

I took a third run too but really ****ed up the launch. The first two runs were taken one after the other. The car was just driven an hour, sat at the gate waiting to get in idling for 20 minutes and then took the runs. The engine was heatsoaked. That and the fact that apparently I can't launch worth a damn was really going against me. I would like to think that I can get this thing into the 13.4 range the way it sits, I just have to let the engine cool and get a good launch.

-Jeff

------------------

--180* t-stat, cams, 96-97 intake swap, FFP pulley, A/C Idler, P/S idler, ported exhaust mani's, ported lower intake, Flowmaster exhaust, EGR delete, K&N filter,
Magnecor 8.5mm wires, 36# Injectors, Darth Chip-- --13.6 @ 102--

Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post04-21-2008 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You lost I enjoyed your other vid with the GTI.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have good news for those of us in Kalifornia who are doing this swap. I just got off the phone with a smog expert from BAR. My questions:

Is a Fed spec motor installed into a Fed spec car legal in California?

BAR Answer:

Yes, as long as all the other smog equipment goes with the motor, it passes the visual inspection and the tail pipe sniffer.

Here is the engine change guideline:

http://www.autorepair.ca.go...ange_Guidelines.html

This is what prompted my question:

California Certification
A federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certified (federal or 49–state) engine cannot be used in a vehicle that was originally certified for California.

I am not sure if this will change much in this swap. What are the smog differences between a Fed Spec DOHC and a Cali spec one?

Also, is there an easy way to tell if a stock Fiero is fed spec or cali spec?

[This message has been edited by Doug85GT (edited 04-22-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Doug85GT

9467 posts
Member since May 2003
I just read the VIN decoder. There does not seem to be a california spec Fiero. If that is so, then it means I can use a Fed spec DOHC engine and associated parts..

http://www.nytmare.org/fiero/vin/fierovin.htm
bluefiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bluefieroSend a Private Message to bluefieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking to get a cam timing tool. I have been searching trying to find out where to get one. I heard they used to be on 60degreev6.com, but it doesn't seem like they offer it anymore. Do they even make them anymore? If not, does anyone know where I would be able to purchase one? Or is anyone willing to lend me theirs? I would pay shipping both ways if so. Let me know, thanks.
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be very careful with that one Doug, I have talked to so many refs, I think it depends on who you get and how they feel that day. I was told that you can not run a 49 state engine here, now I guess if it has all the AIR stuff you have a much better chance.

Side note, the tranny does shift, but now the drivers side wheel bearing ass is toast too.

RUNDLC
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post04-27-2008 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bluefiero:

Looking to get a cam timing tool. I have been searching trying to find out where to get one. I heard they used to be on 60degreev6.com, but it doesn't seem like they offer it anymore. Do they even make them anymore? If not, does anyone know where I would be able to purchase one? Or is anyone willing to lend me theirs? I would pay shipping both ways if so. Let me know, thanks.

Make one. All you need is a long piece of bar stock and some bolts. Let me get some pictures.
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys I just change the valve cover gaskets, oil ring gaskets and fixed that pesky dist o-ring.

I still have an oil leak on the back side just above the intermediate shaft, it appears to be coming down the heatshield and then onto the downpipe. I checked the crank sensor and it seems fine,

Does anyone have an idea what else is near the backside of the engine to cause a leak?
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Guys I just change the valve cover gaskets, oil ring gaskets and fixed that pesky dist o-ring.

I still have an oil leak on the back side just above the intermediate shaft, it appears to be coming down the heatshield and then onto the downpipe. I checked the crank sensor and it seems fine,

Does anyone have an idea what else is near the backside of the engine to cause a leak?

Wasn't your engine a new crate? I would think the o ring would be new...perhaps your cambox is leaking at the gasket
where it meets the head
RUNDLC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Erik it was, this is on the 92 5 spd grand prix I bought about a month ago. Can you elaborate on this area of the cam area. Would I have to pull the heads to fix?

RUNDLC
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bluefiero:

I'd like one of those too, the one w/ degree indexing, . . . I think it was Kohburn(?) who marketed them
through the 60*V site, sure wish he'd make another run of 'em! I'm kikkin' m'self for not getting one when
they were avail..

Norm
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2008 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so whats the story with these engines as far as reliability/upkeep? Do they have any known problems? Im trying to decide if this is a good choice as a DD.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 32 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock