Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New Products you want to see in the future for Fieros! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New Products you want to see in the future for Fieros! by Villain
Started on: 08-14-2016 03:29 AM
Replies: 44 (1279 views)
Last post by: stickboy on 08-27-2016 11:23 AM
Villain

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VillainSend a Private Message to VillainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Starting a thread to see what new things people want in the future for the Fiero.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All Wheel Drive
All Wheel steering
ABS
deloreanant

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deloreanantSend a Private Message to deloreanantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

All Wheel Drive

Yes please. That would be amazing.

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2016 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All Wheel Drive
All Wheel steering
ABS

Mr. Fusion
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2016 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
High quality replacement/repo parts that currently unavailable (GT 1/4 windows, etc).

busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2016 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Villain:

Starting a thread to see what new things people want in the future for the Fiero.

Are you going to be making any said products?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2016 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turbo or SC kits?

Bolt on performance intakes and heads?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2016 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to keep this real.

T top gaskets and parts.

A good direct bolt on Wilwood brake kit with functioning E brake kit just for the Fiero.

Solid bushings for the rear control arms that will eliminate bump steer.

Good selection of really needed restoration parts for trim and interior. We are still missing some good original parts yet that prevents a decent original restoration unless you can find NOS parts.

As for AWD, ABS and the like that is just not realistic.

As for bolt on performance parts. The same old issue as before will happen. By the time you build the engine to take these mods a V8 conversion would be cheaper and easier. God bless the 2.8 but the cost to build one right is so very high. Too many other good V6 engine available today.

I am shocked no one has taken a 3.6 Malibu engine and dropped it in. At least I have yet to see one. Move it with the better transaxle too.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

2017 Pontiac Fiero GTR

First, there is no Pontiac anymore, second it would be 30k to 40k in todays market, by the time you spent that on a Fiero it would be better anyway, (unless you blank check one of the venders, as so many do)

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Bushings are not what causes bump steer, besides there is already a kit to eliminate it.

AWD can be done just have to move the gas tank and a different transmission.

ABS can be done, but requires a computer programed to the Fiero.

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

High quality replacement/repo parts that currently unavailable (GT 1/4 windows, etc).

The Fiero store does sell good quality 1/4 windows, I have seen them in person, they used to sell "ok" ones, but now they have really good quality.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 08-16-2016).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well lets get something straight.

AWD, ABS and even a Allison V12 are possible but not realistic. The cost and proper engineering is not going to be worth the cost of making a kit and few people would pay more for a kit than they did for their car.

The greater need is for reproduction parts that would let people fix the things broken on their car that have gone up in price on NOS parts. There are still more interior parts that are needed that are impossible to find and if you do they are expensive. Many people have a decent car with a scratched console sifter cover that would like to make it right.

Hell the cost of just tooling a T top gasket kit has made it difficult to reproduce let along tooling an AWD kit that would only add more weight and would not be easily engineered to factory standards of today's cars.

As for bump steer my comments were for the Herb Adams kit where he used solid bearing bushings in the rear to eliminate bump steer. They used it on the car they ran in SCCA show room stock. They were cheap and effective. Odds are the busings are still available to racers and could be easily repackaged to sell for a low volume of Fiero customers.

Odds are you probably do no know Herb Adams is. He is the guy behind many of the best handling Pontiac suspensions of all time. He even raced his Wife's 1964 Tempest in Trans Am in the late 60's and even gave Penske's Camaro with Mark Donahue a run for their money. He also engineer the Trans Am and went into racing after he left GM. He built and drove a Trans Am from Michigan to Florida and raced it in the 24 hours of Daytona finishing well ahead of many full on race cars.

His tuning parts for the Fiero are rare today but were some of the best sorted. Car Craft built their Fiero with his kit reaching over 1 G on the skid pad and on street tires. I have one of these kits and I wish they were still available to the public

I know there are kits out there but this one was simple and very effective.

My question is if someone made a AWD kit how many do you really think they would sell? How much would it cost? Few and they would not make back their investment and that is why I said lets keep this real. If you want AWD it is something you need to sort out at home on your own time and own dime. Keep in mind the investment most have in their cars here and how much this would cost.

You will see a T top gasket made before you will see a AWD kit. And I am not holding my breath on a t top gasket set.

So don't try to BS me. I work in the performance aftermarket and know the cost involved and the numbers sold.

You sound young and have big dreams and that is fine but there are times you need to leave the dreams and use some real world common sense.

I am not picking a fight here but don't stick the BS in my face.

Pontiac is dead but I would not discount what could have been done today if they were still around. A modern car would have driven circles around about anything that could be done to the older one. The Technology, materials and advancements can not be discounted. It is something that I would have liked to see but it will never happen.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 08-17-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
JetroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Downloadable 3D print files so you can print some of the small plastic parts that are hard to find. You could probably print a console skeleton if you did it in sections.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2016 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

2017 Pontiac Fiero GTR

It's called a Corvette..
and 2017 or 18 model
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-17-2016 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Well lets get something straight.

AWD, ABS and even a Allison V12 are possible but not realistic. The cost and proper engineering is not going to be worth the cost of making a kit and few people would pay more for a kit than they did for their car. I agree and not needed,, Want AWD go buy a u-r0a0bus or an audi

The greater need is for reproduction parts that would let people fix the things broken on their car that have gone up in price on NOS parts. There are still more interior parts that are needed that are impossible to find and if you do they are expensive. Many people have a decent car with a scratched console sifter cover that would like to make it right.
Like what?? and here is the problem, no interior parts for this car is that costly, and as an aftermarket vendor looks at what you are calling costly nos.. knowing what they have to sell a repop part for, no wonder no one does, the market (owners) are to cheap. They all claim to be "in" until the part/item drops then crickets. many other more popular vehicles have the same issue

Hell the cost of just tooling a T top gasket kit has made it difficult to reproduce let along tooling an AWD kit that would only add more weight and would not be easily engineered to factory standards of today's cars.
This is just not true,, weatherstrip repop companies make other t top soft parts, difference is, the owners will buy them.. and not cry that they cost to much.. and a low volume option on this car, THIS IS WHY they are not made for the Fiero . .. 88 was the ONLY year you could get the Factory ship-thru t-tops RPO code CJB, but the true numbers are Base Coupe 339, Formula 299 and GT 614 for a total of 1252, So if 600 are left. how many will fork over 500.oo for a set.. maybe 5 owners.. f body guys wouldn't think twice, same with g body guys.. or mid 70's a body guys.. or ford guys.. but Fiero owners.. not a chance, and if you don't think magor venders read forums like this to get a feel of what next to repop you are nuts..

As for bump steer my comments were for the Herb Adams kit where he used solid bearing bushings in the rear to eliminate bump steer. They used it on the car they ran in SCCA show room stock. They were cheap and effective. Odds are the busings are still available to racers and could be easily repackaged to sell for a low volume of Fiero customers.
Herb was awesome, and yes the solid bushings are avail.. and not hard to come by, problem is.. solid anything on the street doesn't work well unless you beef up other parts.. I'm sure Herb, gusseted the mounts and reworked the lower arms and such.. as the oem stamped tin would crack ..as factory installed.. more to it than pressing in solid bushings and stuffing the parts back under the car

Odds are you probably do no know Herb Adams is. He is the guy behind many of the best handling Pontiac suspensions of all time. He even raced his Wife's 1964 Tempest in Trans Am in the late 60's and even gave Penske's Camaro with Mark Donahue a run for their money. He also engineer the Trans Am and went into racing after he left GM. He built and drove a Trans Am from Michigan to Florida and raced it in the 24 hours of Daytona finishing well ahead of many full on race cars.
Herb, is well known, the member you asked this may not know whom he is, but his last race car that I've seen was an early 3rd gen f body.. and that silver firechicken could move..

His tuning parts for the Fiero are rare today but were some of the best sorted. Car Craft built their Fiero with his kit reaching over 1 G on the skid pad and on street tires. I have one of these kits and I wish they were still available to the public
Any car craft test is subject, but I'm sure it was better than stock.. how about posting up detailed photo's of this kit.. to see what it take to fab one up

I know there are kits out there but this one was simple and very effective.

My question is if someone made a AWD kit how many do you really think they would sell? How much would it cost? Few and they would not make back their investment and that is why I said lets keep this real. If you want AWD it is something you need to sort out at home on your own time and own dime. Keep in mind the investment most have in their cars here and how much this would cost.
as a kit, sure it not sell,, but I'm sure a wrecked u-r-a-bus and some time putting the peanut butter (Subaru)in the chocolate (fiero) could be done without to much butchery. as it is a flat 4, it just not be mid engine anymore.. heck a chevy astro van AWD could go in, and it still be mid engine, using a marine 4.3. reverse rotation engine short block. will there is a way, worth it as a kit, not to this crowd

You will see a T top gasket made before you will see a AWD kit. And I am not holding my breath on a t top gasket set.
I doubt you'll see either.. the market for the cars would have to go up from the owners that have them now.. as we all see the car for what it is, cheap fun . one year only parts, not a chance

So don't try to BS me. I work in the performance aftermarket and know the cost involved and the numbers sold.
then you know the reason most major venders steer clear of this platform . and if you work in the proformance aftermarket, you know most parts in that market are just reboxed no better than oem junk

You sound young and have big dreams and that is fine but there are times you need to leave the dreams and use some real world common sense.
many a huge business started with nothing but a dream

I am not picking a fight here but don't stick the BS in my face.
you are picking a fight as first you think he is just young and dreaming big, and then claiming he is sticking b/s in your face

Pontiac is dead but I would not discount what could have been done today if they were still around. A modern car would have driven circles around about anything that could be done to the older one. The Technology, materials and advancements can not be discounted. It is something that I would have liked to see but it will never happen.
go drive a 2017-18 mid engine vette if it ever comes out.. that is the modern fiero..

SEE above..

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is NOTHING in Herb Adams "all fired up" about bump steer. Bushings will not solve the problem, the problem is that there are tie rods attached to the cradle, that is what changes the angle as the suspension goes up and down. Bushing affect toe, NOT bump steer. Get your facts straight before you go calling BS. So let me shove "facts" in your face.

Edit to add: The thread is not called what new products are cost effective, But what do you want to see in the future for Fieros. And that is what I would like to see.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 08-17-2016).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There is NOTHING in Herb Adams "all fired up" about bump steer. Bushings will not solve the problem, the problem is that there are tie rods attached to the cradle, that is what changes the angle as the suspension goes up and down. Bushing affect toe, NOT bump steer. Get your facts straight before you go calling BS. So let me shove "facts" in your face.

Edit to add: The thread is not called what new products are cost effective, But what do you want to see in the future for Fieros. And that is what I would like to see.

My Children must play!

http://www.realfierotech.co...b17bcedf6ebc5d7839b5

What Herb Adams (the guy first listed in the link that was provided above) discovered was that you could minimize it with solid bushings but you wouldn't completley eliminate it. He used to market aircraft-quality monoball bearings and sleeves that replaced the rubber bushings in the rear a-arms. They were marketed through Moroso, but last time I checked they were no longer available. Keep in mind they had to be disassembled and re-lubed every six months. Well, that's what Matt Adams, Herb's son told me over the phone a couple years ago. I suppose a creative person could duplicate them, but I'd wonder if something else would give in the control arm? Poly is a cheap, more effective substitute for that kit and is going to flex a whole heck of a lot less than any rubber GM offered. Gerald Stvorik http://www.8shark.com/8shark.html knows something about this and makes Ultra High Molecular Weight bushings that would be even stiffer, not squeak and he claims last longer than poly. They cost about three times as much as poly, but he also sells these sway bar endlinks that use a ball-and-socket design that reduce steering effort that look really nice among some other racing accessories. Herb Adams (if you haven't heard, he was a GM engineer and race car driver as well as published author on Chassis Engineering) also made replacement sway bars for the Fiero but he made larger rear diameters than front. Great if you like to throttle steer more than brake steer, but dangerous for the street IMO. Race track is safer than the street if you ask me. Chances are good (as said above) rear suspension is in need of rebuilding. The rear is a lot simpler than the front I have found. Like I related above. I had rebuilt the front, got the car four wheel aligned and decided to do the back suspension completely and ran into a slight problem. I posted that little bit of info as a caution. I wonder if what really happened was what Will experienced... didn't tighten the lower strut mount cam bolt when I took it back. You'll know when a car dogtracks, you'll feel like you have to turn slightly to the right or left as you are going straight. Older Novas had a habit of doing that.
Anyway, I'm offering this info as a help, not to come off as some ultra-cool, uber-suave race car driver. I put in Gerald's link. You'll find him ranked in the San Fransisco area SCCA. If I'm not clear, I'm sure these other folk will set me straight with glee.

http://ironduke7.tripod.com/bumpsteer.htm

Fiero owners, especially those who do not have a technical background, are often left with the impression that the 1984 to 1987 Fiero has a unique case of bump steer. Bump steer has in fact been an issue with many vehicles over the years, for several different reasons. Let us get the terminology straight first.

Bump steer is in fact a change in toe angle as a wheel moves up or down in its suspension travel. When a bump is encountered in a turn, the resulting toe change will cause a slight steering effect which is felt as anything from a slight "twitch" to a major direction change. Bump steer can exist in front or rear suspension designs, although most front bump steer has nearly disappeared from factory suspensions. The early Fiero chassis used an Opel derived front suspension as also used in the Chevette. Although it suffers from limited travel and "kickback", due to the large scrub radius, it does not have significant bump steer, in fact the only real problem with the front end is the pro-dive geometry which unbalances the car under braking. It is bump steer in the rear suspension we are concerned with.

The early Fiero's rear suspension was another front end design, this time from the X-body series of GM small sedans, such as the Pontiac Phoenix, and in light duty versions of the A-body series, such as the Pontiac 6000. This MacPherson strut, lower A-arm suspension was mounted to a cradle similar to those used on the front wheel drive sedans, but since there was no steering the tie rods were bolted to the cradle to act as toe links. Herein lies the problem, if toe links are not perfectly parallel to the control arms at all extremes of suspension travel, there will be a change in toe angle, thus bump steer. The Fiero suffers from this problem which is then compounded by the larger diameter, soft rubber bushings used in the control arms. These bushings allowed deflection of the control arm, forward and aft under acceleration and braking, and in and out under side loads during cornering. Since these motions were independent of the toe link the results were more toe changes, and more bump steer. This is not a unique condition.

There have been many different rear suspension designs over the years, many of which gained popularity and wide spread use despite a significant bump steer problem. Among solid axle (non-independent) designs we have used are a number of coil sprung types which include a Panhard rod or track rod which locates the axle, some of these have used a rod which was too short. The result of this short Panhard rod is not really bump steer but it involves the body moving left or right relative to the axle. This is an uncomfortable sensation which results in the same off-balance feel as the Fiero's bump steer. The Chevrolet Monza, one of the better handling cars of the 1970's suffered from this problem.

The most universally used independent rear suspension design in rear wheel drive cars has probably been the semi-trailing arm suspension. When swing axles began to disappear from beneath many cars, including all of the great German marques, they were usually replaced with semi-trailing arms. Everything from the last VW Beetles of the 1970's to the famous Datsun 510, to every BMW, Mercedes and Porsche of the same era were equipped with this compact efficient design, and all suffered some degree of bump steer. This system is called semi-trailing arm because the wheels move in an arc determined by a triangular suspension arm with pivot points at the differential and forward of the rear wheels. Motion around this pivot axis causes big camber changes and a toe out condition as you move the wheel up or down from the normal at rest position. Multi-link designs, most originating in the 1980s, have replaced this design in most modern cars, although the BMW Z3 still uses a variation of this design to good effect. These companies took great pains to reduce the effect but in some cases, such as very powerful rear engined designs, like the 911 Turbo, it could not be truly tamed and added to this cars reputation for punishing the inexperienced or careless driver with a snap spin. Many cars which used semi-trailing arms avoided the worst of the bump steer problem, and the related camber change problem, by having the suspension set so low that there was already considerable negative camber, and the toe was then set for this height. Since all of the suspension travel was now really above the "level" position the toe change was minimized, and thus the bump steer as well. Larger rear tires also helped tame the rear end's antics, along with limiting suspension travel. These cars used detail improvements to make the best of a "less than ideal" design. The Fiero's bump steer problem is the opposite, the design does not have inherent bump steer, but the details cause it.

The reason for bump steer is deflection. the tie rods only deflect on the 84 models as they were moved on the later models.

Herb outlined the bushings on the lower control arms deflected forward and backward independent of the body mounts and it all created a deflection in the back that would change the alignment parameters of the rear suspension.

It is what it is and no matter how you or I argue it the physics do not change.

The bump steer problem can be solved, or at least minimized by several methods. Manufacturers of Fiero suspension systems have come up with low cost fixes which reduce the problem significantly, and at least one more costly solution which should solve the problem, however, even with some low cost changes the average owner can reduce the problem to reasonable levels. If all of the rubber bushings in the rear suspension are replaced with something with less deflection, such as polyurethane, the problem would not go away but it would no longer be increased by the additional unwanted motion caused by the bushings (Herb Adams actually recommends steel bushing replacements). Stiffer rear springs and shocks will reduce vertical deflection and therefore the bump steer. A rear anti-roll bar will keep the rear flatter and therefore again reduce vertical motion and bump steer. None of these suggestions will completely eliminate the problem, but if you are on a budget, it will reduce the bump steer from the factory levels.

The Fiero's bump steer problem is more related to handling feel than actual handling. It will not upset the chassis enough to be really dangerous at most normal speeds. What it will do is put a real scare into the driver who first encounters it, and due to its effect on overall feel it will result in most drivers being a little nervous of their cars.

AND No one wants to be afraid to drive their sports car.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

5995 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

SEE above..

First off yes there are interior parts for the interior that are impossible to fine in OE form. Be it Indy seat covers to cosule face plates to skellitons. Have you looked for clean stock dash with its corners. Yes they make an overly but it is not the real thing.

T top gaskets. First off there were almost 8,000 Fiero T top kits made. Too many think that the 88 was all there was. C&C made many more kits and installed many more on the same line that did the 88 models. The T tops in reality were offered as a dealer installed option from 84-87 and I think it was around 90-91 the last top was installed by them before the Fiero nationals in Pontiac of that year.

While not as large as other there is still a need for the gaskets and they could be done if people would be willing to pay a little more. Other wise we are stuck grafting Camaro gaskets in place to try to seal the leaks.

As for Herbs set up no bracing was needed. Weld them in and use them. His only flaw was they were open bearings but today we have enough sealed bearings that it would be better today. His set up was not that harsh and never posed issues on the street. The kits were expensive were the reason you saw so few of them.

The Car Craft test was done by Herb. I will take his word.

As for AWD most people who are dim enough to dream of them generally do not have the capacity to properly engineer them. A few can most can't like you said Buy an Audi.

Some business were built on dreams. Also many more project car go unfinished and many company bankrupt on a dream too.

Not picking a fight. Just giving him some reality. More people could use that. I wish when I was younger some would have saved me some trial and error. Sitting here telling him yes that is all realistic is just not doing him any favor.

The Emperor C8 is coming and it will be fabulous. But it is not going to be the modern Fiero. Keep in mind just because the engine is mid engine does not make a car a Fiero.

The new C8 will be more McLaren than Fiero.

The truth is the Fiero future may have been limited at best. Many sports cars have limited runs and just do not last. RX7, 260-280-300 ZX, MR2 died two times, Honda NSX died once and the 2000 is till dead. The Solstice and Sky would not have lasted much longer even if Saturn and Pontiac lived. Only the Vette and the Miata have been durable enough to survive.

Building a cheaper priced sports car is one of the most difficult cars to build. You will only sell so many a year and keep people coming back. This limits investment and changes. Miata lives on with paint and trim changes on global sales. The Vette has become like Harley an Icon where people buy and collect them often owning more than one.

If you disagree that is fine but it is what it is and reality will prove my point.

With my work I see people screw up daily because they dared to dream too much and failed to little to educate. Wasted money and wasted cars go unfinished.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

5995 posts
Member since Mar 2003
Again not trying to mash toes.

While I may not have been Millennial like about this what I stated is true.

Sorry for the tone but I am not going to just say oh ya that is a super idea and something we will see real soon because that is just not true. You are not just going to add a new tranny and driveline and make one that is well engineer and sorted out in your garage.

Why do I know. We built a AWD street rod at work. It had several people involved that were top builders and one who is one of the best engineers in the auto industry at GM involved. They thought they got it right but there were many issues even using part from a Syclone and ZR1.

What kind of issues? Well for one example who knew Titanium drive shafts would flex that much. Yes they do under a load of 600 HP and they take out the oil filter. Cutting up a expensive drive shaft to put a carrier bearing to stop the flex had to be done. There were many other issues with the steering and torque steer. Even the last time I went for a ride in it at Hot August night it still had some issues.

Projects like this are not for the faint of heart and all you see in magazines are never always sorted out perfectly. They can be temperamental and expensive to keep on the road. Even at a major automaker these are far from cheap projects and to recoup the cost they have to sell thousands of cars.

So sardonyx247 I am not attacking you personally. One I have had a bad week but I also do this kind of stuff for a living and I see so many people get in over their heads with big dreams on things that are just not as easy as they think. The doomed project cars are common as we even see here. So many start with a big dream of a car with twin turbo's and more only to end up selling it because it never got done do to issues and cost.

The problem with the Fiero right away is the value of the car. Things like this can cost 2-3-5 times the value of the car. Even then it may never be right unless you have the engineering to do it right.

I grew up working on cars young. Our go cart was a VW chassis when we were 11 and by then we already were helping on the stock car. I have been lucky to live the car live style since I was young and got to learn much over the years. Even today I still learn often thing from people that few can get in contact with. This weekend we spent it in the pits at the SCCA Pro Series Trans AM race with friends that work for several of the teams. We got a good lesson on how the top teams are fudging the rules. LOL!

I am sorry sardonyx247 if you took it as an attack but it was not. It may have been a brusk delivery but never meant to hurt you.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 08-17-2016).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2016 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

First off yes there are interior parts for the interior that are impossible to fine in OE form. Be it Indy seat covers to cosule face plates to skellitons. Have you looked for clean stock dash with its corners. Yes they make an overly but it is not the real thing.

T top gaskets. First off there were almost 8,000 Fiero T top kits made. Too many think that the 88 was all there was. C&C made many more kits and installed many more on the same line that did the 88 models. The T tops in reality were offered as a dealer installed option from 84-87 and I think it was around 90-91 the last top was installed by them before the Fiero nationals in Pontiac of that year.

While not as large as other there is still a need for the gaskets and they could be done if people would be willing to pay a little more. Other wise we are stuck grafting Camaro gaskets in place to try to seal the leaks.

As for Herbs set up no bracing was needed. Weld them in and use them. His only flaw was they were open bearings but today we have enough sealed bearings that it would be better today. His set up was not that harsh and never posed issues on the street. The kits were expensive were the reason you saw so few of them.

The Car Craft test was done by Herb. I will take his word.

As for AWD most people who are dim enough to dream of them generally do not have the capacity to properly engineer them. A few can most can't like you said Buy an Audi.

Some business were built on dreams. Also many more project car go unfinished and many company bankrupt on a dream too.

Not picking a fight. Just giving him some reality. More people could use that. I wish when I was younger some would have saved me some trial and error. Sitting here telling him yes that is all realistic is just not doing him any favor.

The Emperor C8 is coming and it will be fabulous. But it is not going to be the modern Fiero. Keep in mind just because the engine is mid engine does not make a car a Fiero.

The new C8 will be more McLaren than Fiero.

The truth is the Fiero future may have been limited at best. Many sports cars have limited runs and just do not last. RX7, 260-280-300 ZX, MR2 died two times, Honda NSX died once and the 2000 is till dead. The Solstice and Sky would not have lasted much longer even if Saturn and Pontiac lived. Only the Vette and the Miata have been durable enough to survive.

Building a cheaper priced sports car is one of the most difficult cars to build. You will only sell so many a year and keep people coming back. This limits investment and changes. Miata lives on with paint and trim changes on global sales. The Vette has become like Harley an Icon where people buy and collect them often owning more than one.

If you disagree that is fine but it is what it is and reality will prove my point.

With my work I see people screw up daily because they dared to dream too much and failed to little to educate. Wasted money and wasted cars go unfinished.

WHATEVER you want to believe..
solid bushings put more load on the parts and the brackets and the spoty at best factory welds.. you might install them without adding bracing/fully welding the brackets and boxing the a arm.. but I know better. Every racer knows better..
and solid bushings are race pieces not street.
Factory t tops #'s I posted.. are the "kits" installed after the factory the same as the oem factory 88 cars?? if not.. what ones does a vendor like metro or soft seal make,, what # of cars are still in use.. and what # of buyers that bought a car for 1000.00-1500.oo are going to cough up 500.oo+ for weatherstrip??
don't hold your breath..
This is a limited market for any parts, even with the fact that it was a parts bin build/sourced car.. the other cars that use the same parts are not "loved" and are soup cans by now..
The fact that there is as many small vendors making parts for this car, is better than most.. but still limited.. a major vendor is not tooling up to make t top seals to sell 25 sets.. and warehouse another 200 for years..
Most parts houses are red tagging parts for these cars, and after a while at that pricing if they don't sell and no one buys the lot of the left overs it'll all hit the dumpster..
THe 151 4 and 2.8v6 are not engines that are repaired or rebuilt for the most part when it craps out most vehicles they where in go straight to the junkyard and then to the crusher..
even worse is the 151 R the postal service ate all the extra's.. and when they sell off the fleet, this year and the next 2,, all the parts will most likely hit a dumpster.. unless a Fiero person goes to the service shops and asks about the parts stock.. in every city/area..
We love the car.. most don't.. most yards are not setting them aside.. saving them..
no one in the performance aftermarket is making anything for them.. unless it's a reboxed, stock type item made to look the part..
The good thing is at the moment their is tons of used parts,, and people that saved as much as they could when they parted them, but most lately have been getting out of them, and try'n to sell off the parts, what happens when they are selling no one needs or buys, where do those parts go.. most likely the dump..

Having driven a solid bushing double a arm car and rod end triangle 4 link car on the street I can tell you most would not live with it on a street car.. it's is noisey, harsh and unforgiving..

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WHATEVER you want to believe..
solid bushings put more load on the parts and the brackets and the spoty at best factory welds.. you might install them without adding bracing/fully welding the brackets and boxing the a arm.. but I know better. Every racer knows better..
and solid bushings are race pieces not street.
Factory t tops #'s I posted.. are the "kits" installed after the factory the same as the oem factory 88 cars?? if not.. what ones does a vendor like metro or soft seal make,, what # of cars are still in use.. and what # of buyers that bought a car for 1000.00-1500.oo are going to cough up 500.oo+ for weatherstrip??
don't hold your breath..
This is a limited market for any parts, even with the fact that it was a parts bin build/sourced car.. the other cars that use the same parts are not "loved" and are soup cans by now..
The fact that there is as many small vendors making parts for this car, is better than most.. but still limited.. a major vendor is not tooling up to make t top seals to sell 25 sets.. and warehouse another 200 for years..
Most parts houses are red tagging parts for these cars, and after a while at that pricing if they don't sell and no one buys the lot of the left overs it'll all hit the dumpster..
THe 151 4 and 2.8v6 are not engines that are repaired or rebuilt for the most part when it craps out most vehicles they where in go straight to the junkyard and then to the crusher..
even worse is the 151 R the postal service ate all the extra's.. and when they sell off the fleet, this year and the next 2,, all the parts will most likely hit a dumpster.. unless a Fiero person goes to the service shops and asks about the parts stock.. in every city/area..
We love the car.. most don't.. most yards are not setting them aside.. saving them..
no one in the performance aftermarket is making anything for them.. unless it's a reboxed, stock type item made to look the part..
The good thing is at the moment their is tons of used parts,, and people that saved as much as they could when they parted them, but most lately have been getting out of them, and try'n to sell off the parts, what happens when they are selling no one needs or buys, where do those parts go.. most likely the dump..

Having driven a solid bushing double a arm car and rod end triangle 4 link car on the street I can tell you most would not live with it on a street car.. it's is noisey, harsh and unforgiving..

Look I am not going to argue with you. Do you own a Herb Adams VSE suspension kit for a Fiero? Well I do and I know first hand how it rides and drives. No issues.

As for T top strips we have seen people more than once pay $1200-1500 for a NOS set. If you own a really clean car I expect that if you are leaking like the Titanic you would pay $500 for a new set. Lets face it many of the T top cars are in need at this point. Even a Camaro is not a daily sale on T top gaskets. With the number of kits made over and above the OE tops and the number that have been saved from a junk yard and reinsalled in a new car there is a small but viable market there. At some point someone will get into it s production methods become cheaper as it has on many things, Many of these cars with t tops are now selling for much more. A friend just sold his GT for $14K. That was once rare but some of these cars are now over $10K in selling price. And yes there are still many around.

As for the engines they will take care of themselves as there are still so many out there. Not everyone has the skill or tools to drop a V8 in but they will replace a head gasket on a 2.8. We still sell a lot of parts for these engines yet. I would never recommend a performance upgrade but a rebuild is cheap, easy and a daily occurrence.

It is what it is. You can claim the glass is half empty and I can claim it half full and it is not going to change a damn thing.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2016 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Look I am not going to argue with you. Do you own a Herb Adams VSE suspension kit for a Fiero? Well I do and I know first hand how it rides and drives. No issues.

As for T top strips we have seen people more than once pay $1200-1500 for a NOS set. If you own a really clean car I expect that if you are leaking like the Titanic you would pay $500 for a new set. Lets face it many of the T top cars are in need at this point. Even a Camaro is not a daily sale on T top gaskets. With the number of kits made over and above the OE tops and the number that have been saved from a junk yard and reinsalled in a new car there is a small but viable market there. At some point someone will get into it s production methods become cheaper as it has on many things, Many of these cars with t tops are now selling for much more. A friend just sold his GT for $14K. That was once rare but some of these cars are now over $10K in selling price. And yes there are still many around.

As for the engines they will take care of themselves as there are still so many out there. Not everyone has the skill or tools to drop a V8 in but they will replace a head gasket on a 2.8. We still sell a lot of parts for these engines yet. I would never recommend a performance upgrade but a rebuild is cheap, easy and a daily occurrence.

It is what it is. You can claim the glass is half empty and I can claim it half full and it is not going to change a damn thing.

one or two have paid.. a vendor.. isn't tooling up for 1 or 2 or 10..
many of those 10k+ cars are listed for sale but not selling..
You may have the herb A. kit.. but if you didn't gusset the brackets and fully weld, and brace, you might want to.. before you stuff it in the wall or hurt someone on the road..

glass empty/glass half full..
you told the O/p and others in brash terms.. forget about it, your dreaming, not living in reality,
then said we need interior parts repopped, yet other than indy only parts you can get anything and cheap..

You said you worked in the aftermarket, you should be able to get the t top weatherstrip made, if you are correct about the # of t top cars and buyers (you're not)

I asked to see what the Herb A. kit parts were.. no comment no photo's no link..
i'n sure I can google it but I'd rather see an installed set up.. other than Herb's car..

Only way small niche vehicles get parts is small time, mostly owners of the car, vendors that see a need and fill it if they can..
like the dew wipes.. and gt trunk weatherstrip/etc...
Who cares if they are dreaming..
those vendors and owners/members of forums clubs that can fab up parts or machine them are how vehicles like this that are odd balls make it on the road after parts dry up.

for this type car the 3d printer is going to be a godsend to make molds and such.. as the printer and laser scanners.. you can make a 3d mold and be a no body in the aftermarket..
you'll see someone like this make t top paers weatherstrip before metro/softseal or any other major player as they have bigger fish to tend to..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 08-18-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
pgackeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgackemanSend a Private Message to pgackemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know much of what I'm about to list is likely impractical, but there have been times when the impossible turned out to be surprisingly easy....

* A storage compartment in the interior door grab handles. My van has them and they're great for glasses and such.
* Overhead storage bin.
* ABS - This is the only electronic feature on new cars I care about. Keep you ESC and traction control - they do nothing for my wife's car and apparently nothing for Mustangs leaving Cars & Coffee. There must be some inexpensive way to make Fieros pump their brakes automatically. I might be willing to spend up to $1K for this upgrade, especially if it came with lighter parts. Anything over $1K and I'll drive a different car in bad weather.
* Sliding/Opening rear window to increase air flow. But there's a but, some way needs to be found to direct all the hot air from the engine from back-flowing into the passenger compartment. Maybe redesigned vents to push the hot air farther out.
* A spoiler clip to disrupt the airflow (aka spoiler) around the passenger compartment. Saw a picture of a Fiero with a spoiler clip that fit around the rear window frame down to the deck. Only extended out a couple of inches and looked good.
* A better way to secure the padding that goes around the GT instrument pod. Mine keeps pulling away from the extra gauges.
* I'm eventually planning on ditching my spare tire and getting run-flats. When I do, I'd like some way to prevent rolling luggage from hitting the A/C, brakes, windshield fluid,etc . Maybe a new divider in there?
* GT taillights with changeable print. Make it easy for the owner to switch the lettering from PONTIAC to FIERO. Would be great for game day.
* Tilting instrument pod cluster like the Ford Probe use to have. Silly, but would be interesting.
*Pivoting seats to aid entry/exit.
* For those who want AWD, maybe some form of electric assist for the front wheels??????
* Lightweight parts!
* A kit that makes the rear open up like the hood of a C4 Corvette. Imaging the ease of engine access.

Like I said, some of these ideas are likely impossible. But they may inspire someone to have a better idea.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2016 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

one or two have paid.. a vendor.. isn't tooling up for 1 or 2 or 10..
many of those 10k+ cars are listed for sale but not selling..
You may have the herb A. kit.. but if you didn't gusset the brackets and fully weld, and brace, you might want to.. before you stuff it in the wall or hurt someone on the road..

glass empty/glass half full..
you told the O/p and others in brash terms.. forget about it, your dreaming, not living in reality,
then said we need interior parts repopped, yet other than indy only parts you can get anything and cheap..

You said you worked in the aftermarket, you should be able to get the t top weatherstrip made, if you are correct about the # of t top cars and buyers (you're not)

I asked to see what the Herb A. kit parts were.. no comment no photo's no link..
i'n sure I can google it but I'd rather see an installed set up.. other than Herb's car..

Only way small niche vehicles get parts is small time, mostly owners of the car, vendors that see a need and fill it if they can..
like the dew wipes.. and gt trunk weatherstrip/etc...
Who cares if they are dreaming..
those vendors and owners/members of forums clubs that can fab up parts or machine them are how vehicles like this that are odd balls make it on the road after parts dry up.

for this type car the 3d printer is going to be a godsend to make molds and such.. as the printer and laser scanners.. you can make a 3d mold and be a no body in the aftermarket..
you'll see someone like this make t top paers weatherstrip before metro/softseal or any other major player as they have bigger fish to tend to..

The car is 27 years and narry an issue on the suspension. You do realize how well the control arms in the rear are mounted in the sub frame and if you are going to break anything on the arm the ball joint would be the weak spot. Even the guys who put the corvette brakes on generally the first thing they break if they drive them hard enough is they pull the ball joints out of the front control arm.

The number of T tops made is correct and if you do not agree tell Phillip Edwards the man who told me. Who is he? He owned the T top division of Car and Concepts and oversaw the production of the original T top in 1983 on a pilot car when Pontiac said it could not be done. Since you know better tell him. Trust me there were nearly 8,000 made and today if you want one they are not impossible to find. Even if you have to find a 88 model there are around and generally there is a few for sale.

As these cars age even the cars that seldom leave a garage will need many of these parts. As time moves on production of these parts may become easier with advancements not even counting printing.

Sorry I do not have a photo the kit. Here is a link to a photo of a similar bar on a F body.

Solid front links. 1" front bar and 1 1/4 rear bar. The bushings are solid with ball bearings in them. They replace the stock control arm bushings in the rear. The kit was done for the Show Room Stock Fiero he built for SCCA. He sold the kits through Moroso for many years. Few were sold as few knew about them. The cars are very neutral and balanced. No under steer and it will over steer when induced. Ride and comfort are the same with the rubber sub frame bushings left in place. Pontiac was a little redundant on bushings here.

There was a very good story on line that I am trying to find. I can take a photo of the bars but they look like what I have in the link. Also I have an extra set of bushings that I can photo but they are pretty much like racing bushings with grease-able fittngs. The only weak spot is they are not sealed. Today with modern bearings they are sealed.

http://www.pontiacsonline.com/Herb%20Adams.htm

At this point I have made my statement and it is what it is. You can verify what I have posted if you really want to know. Phillip is still in Michigan and Even Fred knows him and has learned what I learned. There are more T tops than most realize as they sold a lot of them as dealer installs. More than the entire 88 production several times over. Phillip said many also went into Fiero's with body conversions into Ferrari's and such so those also have to be considered. He is a company rep for many automotive MFG today having sold out the business years ago.

As for now I am done with this. I will post a link to the Adams Fiero if I can find it on line. It would be of interest to anyone with a Fiero that has not already read it.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2016 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

5995 posts
Member since Mar 2003
//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...6915&style=printable

Here is a link to the Adams bars front and rear. Mine are the early Gold anodized bars the later ones were painted black.

I will still try to find the original story. It was on several Fiero web sites but I think they are gone or archived as the topic has not come up for a long time. It is a very instructive and interesting story. I know it is also in the FOCOA club magazine if you have these. It also was in several other publications over time. He used a 84 coupe and it was the first I saw with 16" wheels. It give alignment spec if you wanted to go all out and the numbers it returned. He did cut half a coil off on the springs as spindles were not available.

Now if Bell Tech still had the tooling the lowering spindle's would be a great use to the Fiero market again. They are hard to find today as few people sell their old ones.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2016 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thought you said you had the kit.. is it not on the car.. if it is on it. can you snap some photo's.. clear detailed photo's..
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2016 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I want to keep this real.

T top gaskets and parts.

A good direct bolt on Wilwood brake kit with functioning E brake kit just for the Fiero.

Good selection of really needed restoration parts for trim and interior. We are still missing some good original parts yet that prevents a decent original restoration unless you can find NOS parts.

As for bolt on performance parts. The same old issue as before will happen. By the time you build the engine to take these mods a V8 conversion would be cheaper and easier. God bless the 2.8 but the cost to build one right is so very high. Too many other good V6 engine available today.

I am shocked no one has taken a 3.6 Malibu engine and dropped it in. At least I have yet to see one. Move it with the better transaxle too.

I have a StopTech engineer here in town. He will take a car, create a kit and ST will carry it. I keep thinking I am going to go for it.

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brake kits for 84-87 seem to have dissappeared.
Rear louvre for fastback.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is ALOT to read hyperv6, (i did read it all) anyway, for bumpsteer you need to mount the tie rods to the control arm so they go up and down with the wheel, yes poly, mono balls helps with deflection, but not bumpsteer, otherwise it is deflection AND bumpsteer happening when you you hit a bump with rubber bushings. There is already a kit that does that, so no need there. BTW I never take it as an attack, I like opinions. (there is only one person on here that attacks me, lol) good opinions/debates help improve things. I don't really agree with the larger rear sway bar, as that is more for drift cars, but I do have the herb front sway bar on both my Fieros.

As for AWD there is a build thread where he did it for under $2,000 he used electric up front, but gave good incite on what is needed.

Another thing would be all wheel steering, GM did have a prototype in 87. So it is possible, but again probably needs a ECM for it.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2016 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have thought of something I want but cannot buy. I want an engine cover for the V6 like the 3800sc cover so going to modify one to suit. If i can be bothered will shave off or fill the text.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/...a:g:P70AAOSw3ydV3-V7
wow like this airbrushed.

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 08-23-2016).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2016 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how about reproduction interior parts, Console Pieces, Door Panels, etc, for those of us looking to do a full stock restoration?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2016 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if anyone makes the low rise headlight kits anymore... buckets, harness, can use Hella bulbs I think they were.
PFF
System Bot
SCRebeck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2016 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCRebeckSend a Private Message to SCRebeckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JetroGT:

Downloadable 3D print files so you can print some of the small plastic parts that are hard to find. You could probably print a console skeleton if you did it in sections.

I recently got into 3d printing and have been excited to try making some fiero parts. The only issue is the build area I'm dealing with is 8x8x10 inches so it's quite limiting. Also, I only have PLA which I worry might soften too much in the summer so I need to order some ABS. If any of you have ideas for parts to make let me know, I could send you a copy if you cover shipping.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2016 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

how about reproduction interior parts, Console Pieces, Door Panels, etc, for those of us looking to do a full stock restoration?

it be nice, but any upholstery shop and redo or make new..
The fiero store does have abs panels with speaker pods.. that you'd have covered.. if you want..

Go look at the cost of a set of complete door panels for say a 70 chevelle.. it's 299.00+
the lower cost ones are part or the door panel and you have to install a bunch of your parts.. and they are 199.oo

I can't see a fiero owner paying 300-400 for door panels.. as cars like the chevelle they can sell at a lower price from volume of sales..

the console same deal.. the shipping would be huge.. I think when I looked at a new chevelle console "case" it was 299.00 ( no door, no lock ,no hinge, no hardware, no brackets, no shifter marking trim/etc) and double oversized shipping.. 80.oo shipping and that was in 2002..
I got a local one for 75.00

a local upholstery shop could redo the console and it cost less than a vendors when you add in shipping cost.. when you remember the soft console parts include the door..
This is how all interiors are redone. outside a limited # of car models..
When you look at the car hobby as a whole. very few have catalog interior soft parts.. avail other than carpet..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 08-23-2016).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2016 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

[B]Originally posted by JetroGT:[/B ]

You could probably print a console skeleton if you did it in sections.

I think many are looking at this wrong..
I think the 3d printer, would be better served if it was set up to "repair" the console skeleton..

Or a hand held gun was made so you could use the 3d printers "ink" to repair parts like this,(think glue gun) instead of try'n to make a replacement,, in pieces and engineering a way to make it one unit,

this would also allow already avail and in use large cnc mills to make larger parts, without having to buy and house get another monster of a machine..

I want to try to get a welding spool gun and adapt a 3d printers hot head to it.. so the spool gun can feed the hot head.. and it be just another form of welding..
slap it on a cnc machine and make whatever you want.. only limit would be the cnc's machine..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 08-23-2016).]

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2016 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
electric hybrid

All a hybrid vehicle is a car with an over-sized (and better cooled) starter that replaces your starter and runs on a 48v battery so it can turn your flywheel/flexplate thru your rpm range.
They can run along with the engine making power or without. The key is the 48v battery. You could put a 48v battery in the front of a Fiero and run it back to the electric motor/starter.

To heck with regenerative braking, just throw a solar panel on your front hood...
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simple, the C4 Corvette Tail Light panel that you once claimed to manufacture.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-24-2016 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:
electric hybrid

All a hybrid vehicle is a car with an over-sized (and better cooled) starter that replaces your starter and runs on a 48v battery so it can turn your flywheel/flexplate thru your rpm range.
They can run along with the engine making power or without. The key is the 48v battery. You could put a 48v battery in the front of a Fiero and run it back to the electric motor/starter.

To heck with regenerative braking, just throw a solar panel on your front hood...

Er, no. This is not quite true. The starter for the combustion engine in a hybrid vehicle is still a 12v starter. In some cases it may be relocated and belt driven to turn the crank at the front of the engine, rather than engaging with a flywheel or flexplate. It is not the electric drive motor(s) in a hybrid car. In many hybrids, the combustion engine isn't always running and may be stopped and started arbitrarily. You certainly want the additional load of the engine engaging while you're cruising down the highway and it becomes necessary to start the engine to provide additional charge or to take over. It would not be a smooth transition at all.
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Simple, the C4 Corvette Tail Light panel that you once claimed to manufacture.

Ouch.

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2016 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about a lower manifold that would adapt the late-model aluminum heads to a Fiero upper intake.....Yes, I know the compression ratio situation would have to be addressed, but it would be nice to get aluminum heads and there are plenty of them(I admit that there may be geometric reasons why this won't work....)

The other thing that is needed is some quality modern shock absorbers.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Fiero store does sell good quality 1/4 windows, I have seen them in person, they used to sell "ok" ones, but now they have really good quality.

Yes, they do and are decent from what I have seen - BUT - not a near perfect copy and that is what I want.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock