Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Woman hiding with kids shoots intruder by Formula88
Started on: 01-04-2013 10:29 PM
Replies: 81
Last post by: FriendGregory on 04-03-2013 12:36 PM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/n...oots-intruder/nTm7s/

LOGANVILLE, Ga. —

A woman hiding in her attic with children shot an intruder multiple times before fleeing to safety Friday.

The incident happened at a home on Henderson Ridge Lane in Loganville around 1 p.m. The woman was working in an upstairs office when she spotted a strange man outside a window, according to Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman. He said she took her 9-year-old twins to a crawlspace before the man broke in using a crowbar.

But the man eventually found the family.

"The perpetrator opens that door. Of course, at that time he's staring at her, her two children and a .38 revolver," Chapman told Channel 2’s Kerry Kavanaugh.

The woman then shot him five times, but he survived, Chapman said.
In February, Slater was arrested on simple battery charges, according to the Gwinnett County Sheriff's Office. He has been arrested six other times in the county since 2008.
"My wife is a hero. She protected her kids. She did what she was supposed to do as responsible, prepared gun owner," Donnie Herman said.

He said he's thankful for his family's safety.

"Her life is saved, and her kids' life is saved, and that's all I'd like to say," Herman said.

Channel 2’s Amy Napier Viteri learned from Chapman late Friday night that slater has been placed on a ventilator and suffers from punctured lungs, a punctured liver and a punctured stomach.

He said if Slater survives the night, doctors will try to operate in the morning to repair the damage.

Chapman said Slater has four exit wounds.

Slater is currently being charged with burglary.

Another victory for the good guys!
We must ban home invasion to prevent this from happening again.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-04-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
She went above & beyond, trying not to have to kill a man.
But when push come to shove, she did exactly what she had to do.

Level-headed & 100% by-the-book.
She did good.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
What's that old saying?

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by six.

Personally, I think she needs a little more marksmanship training. I mean really, five shots and he's still breathing.

Didn't catch what caliber the gun was, may have a lot to do with it but, with four exit wounds, there was some velocity behind those rounds.

The one thing that was made clear though, if you're look'n for a house to rob, you might want to stay clear of this pack'n mama. She may not be the best shot in the world but, she ain't afraid to pull the trigger. I'm with the husband, I'm proud of her. Just need some more time at the shooting range to sharpen those aiming skills.

------------------
Ron
A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.
So, what do ya think, are we there yet?

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

What's that old saying?

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by six.

Personally, I think she needs a little more marksmanship training. I mean really, five shots and he's still breathing.

Didn't catch what caliber the gun was, may have a lot to do with it but, with four exit wounds, there was some velocity behind those rounds.

The one thing that was made clear though, if you're look'n for a house to rob, you might want to stay clear of this pack'n mama. She may not be the best shot in the world but, she ain't afraid to pull the trigger. I'm with the husband, I'm proud of her. Just need some more time at the shooting range to sharpen those aiming skills.

Go back and READ the article. It was a .38 revolver.
He has punctured lungs, liver and stomach. A handgun isn't magic. Unless the person bleeds out or you hit central nervous system, heart or brain, you're not going to kill them instantly. He's on a ventilator and they don't know if he'll survive long enough for surgery.

She had 6 shots, max. She hit him 5 times. Her accuracy is fine.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

A handgun isn't magic. Unless the person bleeds out or you hit central nervous system, heart or brain, you're not going to kill them instantly.

Yet there are some here that believe the guns purpose is only to kill, so just the fact that she pointed it at him he should be dead, right?

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 01-04-2013).]

Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Doug85GT (edited 01-05-2013).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

[sarcasm]
She used a semi-automatic weapon. Why would she need such a thing. A bolt action or single shot .22 should have been sufficient. She is obviously an evil person intent on causing the next school massacre.
[/sarcasm]

That would be even more funny if revolvers were semi-automatic.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

That would be even more funny if revolvers were semi-automatic.

You are correct that revolvers are not semi-automatic. I use the term more broadly in that each pull of the trigger fires a shot, assuming she has a double action revolver.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

You are correct that revolvers are not semi-automatic. I use the term more broadly in that each pull of the trigger fires a shot, assuming she has a double action revolver.

If by "broadly" you mean "inaccurately," I agree. Government uses the terms "broadly" enough already.
Single action, bolt action, lever action all fire 1 shot with one trigger pull, too.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 01-05-2013).]

Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

If by "broadly" you mean "inaccurately," I agree. Government uses the terms "broadly" enough already.
Single action, bolt action, lever action all fire 1 shot with one trigger pull, too.

They don't load the next round with that trigger pull. Double action does. You can fire all the rounds in a double action revolver almost as fast as the same number fired from a semi-auto pistol. That was my point.

Since this bothers you so much, I'll just delete my post.
Jackdaniels

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-05-2013 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JackdanielsSend a Private Message to JackdanielsDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad she was able to protect herself and her family but in the end, the loser will probably claim racism and sue the family.
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Go back and READ the article. It was a .38 revolver.
He has punctured lungs, liver and stomach. A handgun isn't magic. Unless the person bleeds out or you hit central nervous system, heart or brain, you're not going to kill them instantly. He's on a ventilator and they don't know if he'll survive long enough for surgery.

She had 6 shots, max. She hit him 5 times. Her accuracy is fine.

OK, I'll admit, I only read the posted part of the article. The punctured lungs, liver and stomach were mentioned in that posted part. As far as him surviving the night, I haven't cared enough to investigate and IMHO, she was shooting blindly at a target close enough to hit. Four rounds to the heart followed by a head shot would have indicated her profiency with her weapon of choice. Although a revolver does slow the process and may explain the wide shot placement. Most folks I know can't fire a revolver as quickly as a semi-auto and still maintain accuracy.

I was also being just a little on the silly side in my first post in this thread, just in case you missed that.
------------------
Ron
A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-05-2013).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Short barrel shotgun would have done the same damage with less shots fired.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post

They don't load the next round with that trigger pull. Double action does. You can fire all the rounds in a double action revolver almost as fast as the same number fired from a semi-auto pistol. That was my point.

Since this bothers you so much, I'll just delete my post.

Just for clarification........

A single action revolver requires cocking by pulling the hammer back to advance the cylinder.

A double action revolver advances the cylinder in the first portion of the trigger pull and then fires aat the end of the trigger pull.

Revolvers do not advance the cylinder after firing.

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Short barrel shotgun would have done the same damage with less shots fired.

No doubt!

------------------
Ron

F355spider

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post
God bless her for being intelligent and having the tools to protect her and her family. We can only imagine what would have happen to her and her kids if she had been one of the idiots in this world.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post01-05-2013 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Yet there are some here that believe the guns purpose is only to kill, so just the fact that she pointed it at him he should be dead, right?

Kevin

Or that the gun will hop out of her dresser drawer and do it on its own.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-05-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Just for clarification........

A single action revolver requires cocking by pulling the hammer back to advance the cylinder.

A double action revolver advances the cylinder in the first portion of the trigger pull and then fires aat the end of the trigger pull.

Revolvers do not advance the cylinder after firing.

"Assault Revolver" ( i can see that in the news soon... )
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

OK, I'll admit, I only read the posted part of the article. The punctured lungs, liver and stomach were mentioned in that posted part. As far as him surviving the night, I haven't cared enough to investigate and IMHO, she was shooting blindly at a target close enough to hit. Four rounds to the heart followed by a head shot would have indicated her profiency with her weapon of choice. Although a revolver does slow the process and may explain the wide shot placement. Most folks I know can't fire a revolver as quickly as a semi-auto and still maintain accuracy.

I was also being just a little on the silly side in my first post in this thread, just in case you missed that.

The .38 revolver and his condition were also mentioned in the part of the article I posted.
You read just enough to have something to comment on to give everyone the benefit of your vastly superior knowledge and marksmanship. I have to admit - that was silly. I apologize for not recognizing it to begin with.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

The .38 revolver and his condition were also mentioned in the part of the article I posted.
You read just enough to have something to comment on to give everyone the benefit of your vastly superior knowledge and marksmanship. I have to admit - that was silly. I apologize for not recognizing it to begin with.

Gotcha. Now that I know or have a better understanding of where we stand, I'll attempt to enlighten you when ever you need it. Appreciate the honest response. I always prefer to know where I stand with folks.

------------------
Ron

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
Hey, we need a mag cap guys, what if there were three attackers? Even if she had a semi auto, this woman and her kids would probably be dead with only 10 rounds on tap. You are not going to stop criminals, but you will get people killed.
PFF
System Bot
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-05-2013 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

Hey, we need a mag cap guys, what if there were three attackers? Even if she had a semi auto, this woman and her kids would probably be dead with only 10 rounds on tap. You are not going to stop criminals, but you will get people killed.

Ultimately the 'restrict' group really has nothing to do with logic, so arguments like that are really pointless. Its all about simply taking what is ours because they don't like it. They are willing to let the government take care of them, so in their eyes we have to be forced to accept that way of life too. And they will do it however they have to.

And don't think they will stop at our weapons. Its just one component in a much larger war against freedom, and our way of life..
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

LOGANVILLE, Ga. —

Channel 2’s Amy Napier Viteri learned from Chapman late Friday night that slater has been placed on a ventilator and suffers from punctured lungs, a punctured liver and a punctured stomach.

He said if Slater survives the night, doctors will try to operate in the morning to repair the damage.

Chapman said Slater has four exit wounds.

Slater is currently being charged with burglary.

Who is footing the bill for this? The hospital is going to be on the hook for at least 300k to half a million. The husband could've gotten alarm system for the house. My 98 yr old granma has one and several .38 too.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
Who is footing the bill for this? The hospital is going to be on the hook for at least 300k to half a million. The husband could've gotten alarm system for the house. My 98 yr old granma has one and several .38 too.

I don't see how a victims family should be required to install a alarm system. The criminal or his family should be on the hook for the bill. I also don't think a alarm system would have changed anything, with police response time being 10 minutes to half an hour.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-05-2013 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

The husband could've gotten alarm system for the house. My 98 yr old granma has one and several .38 too.

Yep, blame the victim. Its their fault they were attacked.

Idiot.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-05-2013 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

I don't see how a victims family should be required to install a alarm system. The criminal or his family should be on the hook for the bill. I also don't think a alarm system would have changed anything, with police response time being 10 minutes to half an hour.

As sick as it sounds, most likely the criminal's family will sue the victims in civil court. If they don't get people like Curly on the jury, they wont get a dime and then the bill will be written off by the hospital and in effect 'distributed' among all their future patients for a period of time.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post
On police response time....

Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post

Kevin

heh, we also have one here on the group that thinks they are going to shoot to wound!
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-05-2013 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Red88FF:

heh, we also have one here on the group that thinks they are going to shoot to wound!

Well, it is their choice. They might get the chance to do it, once.
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post

When seconds count, the police are minutes away. No kidding.

Of course it is their fault, they had something to steal! If they had not had that house full of belongings (or children to rape) this would not have happened. Christ don’t you guys get it?
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Kevin

Kevin,
Now don't get excited, I'm only interested in knowing (understanding) what your intention is with this statement? I'm one of those that think guns are meant to kill, not wound so, I'm trying to understand what you mean.

------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 01-05-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

I guess the tens of thousand of home owners and millions of businesses who have alarm system are simply a waste? Who knows, maybe the criminal (after hearing the alarm) just might have left, but either way the police is on their way. The alarm systems today can be activated while you're inside and will alert you if a door or window is broken. LOL. It's the same system my 98 yr old grandmother has. Everybody in the neighborhood can hear it! If an intruder breaks in and trips the alarm she's waiting for them to "come on in."

As for "those" on the hook for the bill we all know that the criminal nor his family isn't going to foot the bill-it's the tax payers. So, the surgeon(s), the RN(s), the anesthesiologist(s), the surgical tech(s), and paramedics all did a job for free at the tune of $500,000 and counting.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Kevin,
Now don't get excited, I'm only interested in knowing (understanding) what your intention is with this statement? I'm one of those that think guns are meant to kill, not wound so, I'm trying to understand what you mean.

So I don't have to repeat myself, it is all starts here.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/097760-2.html#p54

Kevin
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-05-2013 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

I guess the tens of thousand of home owners and millions of businesses who have alarm system are simply a waste? .

That isn't what dennis said and you know it. Nice way to avoid the question tho.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

That isn't what dennis said and you know it. Nice way to avoid the question tho.

Sorry Bud, but he didn't ask a question. He made a statement.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Those anti gun nuts are good about that aren't they?!

Kevin
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-05-2013 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Sorry Bud, but he didn't ask a question. He made a statement.

DId i say HE asked it? No, i didnt.

Bud? WTF? That isn't my name.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-05-2013 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Those anti gun nuts are good about that aren't they?!

Kevin

To be fair, a lot of people are like that. Refuse to deal with the actual issue and instead deflect into something ludicrous instead. Politicians come to mind.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Direct Link to This Post

I guess the tens of thousand of home owners and millions of businesses who have alarm system are simply a waste? Who knows, maybe the criminal (after hearing the alarm) just might have left, but either way the police is on their way. The alarm systems today can be activated while you're inside and will alert you if a door or window is broken. LOL. It's the same system my 98 yr old grandmother has. Everybody in the neighborhood can hear it! If an intruder breaks in and trips the alarm she's waiting for them to "come on in."

As for "those" on the hook for the bill we all know that the criminal nor his family isn't going to foot the bill-it's the tax payers. So, the surgeon(s), the RN(s), the anesthesiologist(s), the surgical tech(s), and paramedics all did a job for free at the tune of $500,000 and counting.

Don't believe I said they were worthless, its about as effective as a cell phone in the pocket to call 911. As far as noise, screaming might cause them to run away too. I wouldn't bet my life on it.
As for the bill, maybe if its open and shut, we should just let the criminals bleed out then?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

ObamaCare will pay for it. That's what you voted for. That's what you got.

She could have gotten an alarm system, but most people don't have alarms turned ON when they're at home. Even all those businesses and home owners you mention that have alarms turn them off as soon as they walk in the door. Sure, she could have had it armed, or even had a panic button to call the police. Do you think it would have mattered? The article didn't mention how long he was in the house, but even if the alarm went off, there's a good chance he would have found them before the police arrived and the end result would be the same.

We've had burglaries in our city where they are in and out in a matter of minutes. Alarms aren't a deterrent because they know they're going to be gone before the police get there.
Unless the police just happen to be right there, it's pretty unlikely it would have made any difference.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock