Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Storm of the Century...well, so far anyway. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Storm of the Century...well, so far anyway. by Doni Hagan
Started on: 02-01-2011 01:20 AM
Replies: 121
Last post by: OKflyboy on 02-09-2011 12:06 PM
Doni Hagan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Chicago and the Midwest overall are being told to expect a minimum of 14" of snow tomorrow with blizzard conditions, 60mph winds etc. WGN-TV said it could be one of the top 5 storm to hit the city since records have been kept. I'm in SW Michigan this week and expect to get snowed in for a couple of days so tomorrow I'll be getting the generators ready....just in case the power lines go down.

http://www.reuters.com/arti...dUSTRE70U4NP20110201

I swear if it wasn't for my parents, I'd be in Florida full-time now!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
Some prediction models show this same storm occurring middle of next week also.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
It better pan out to be something! I got work tomorrow and have to call my boss before I go. Im up way past my bed time so im hoping we get burried so I can say the phones went down . Somethimes not having a cell pays off
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait for it to be nothing. Though knowing my luck, we'll get hit hard by it (it's supposed to miss us).
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Can't wait for it to be nothing. Though knowing my luck, we'll get hit hard by it (it's supposed to miss us).

I dont think this is gonna happen. I mean there is a little ice but nothing to miss work over. I need to go to friggen bed as I have to get up. I got one of my jobs off but the other one I am suppose to call in. They shut down the entire town of neosho and and the schools are out. So that means no sales. No sales means no work. No work mean sit on my ass and surf the internet all day.
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
Indy is getting hammered hard with ICE right now.. supposed to be 10" of snow on top of the 2" of ice we've already gotten..

My poor cars look like ice cubes
Silentassassin185

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
About a 1/4 inch of sleet so far in Joplin (Southwest Missouri) and still going.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I still say the storm is a lie.
nutherproject68

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nutherproject68Send a Private Message to nutherproject68Direct Link to This Post
Doni, I'm a few miles north of you in GR. I'm glad we're finally getting something. So far this winter has been a joke.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Pouring rain here (AGAIN) as I type---with a west wind howling that shook the house enough to wake me up.
We won't get too cold here, but I think whatever it is right now is today's high temp.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
We really haven’t gotten that much snow this year, believe it or not. We have gotten storms, mostly half a ft here and there. Some one ft storms but nothing really drastic like we usually get. Thank Christ.

Usually we have about 5’ of snow on the ground by now up here but all the big accumulations have been south of us. So I ain’t going to biatch about one little 2’ snow storm here.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-01-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nutherproject68:

Doni, I'm a few miles north of you in GR. I'm glad we're finally getting something. So far this winter has been a joke.

When K-zoo and South Bend got hammered a couple of weeks ago, we got 2" or less and we're right between the two. Lake effect's a strange beast to be sure. Our winters have been comparatively mild for a couple of years....not outrageously cold or excessively snowy. I've certainly seen worse here.

BTW, GLAD, you say?? I couldn't care less if it NEVER snowed!
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Doni Hagan

8242 posts
Member since Jun 2001

Originally posted by datacop:

Indy is getting hammered hard with ICE right now.. supposed to be 10" of snow on top of the 2" of ice we've already gotten..

West Lafayette as well.. A lot of classes are canceled at Purdue today.
nmw75

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nmw75Send a Private Message to nmw75Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

We really haven’t gotten that much snow this year, believe it or not. We have gotten storms, mostly half a ft here and there. Some one ft storms but nothing really drastic like we usually get. Thank Christ.

Usually we have about 5’ of snow on the ground by now up here but all the big accumulations have been south of us. So I ain’t going to biatch about one little 2’ snow storm here.

Steve

I'm only 50 miles south of you & have gotten more snow than the Farmington area. Looks like we'll be getting more than you again with tomorrow's storm.

------------------
86 GT
87 coupe restoration project.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by nmw75:
I'm only 50 miles south of you & have gotten more snow than the Farmington area. Looks like we'll be getting more than you again with tomorrow's storm.

And you believe the weather man? I watch all three local weather forecasts and figure non of them have a clue. So I just wait till it’s over and plow/snow blow it and worry about it after.

It has been a pleasantly easy winter, SO FAR for us up here.

Steve

------------------

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

84fiero123

29950 posts
Member since Oct 2004
My plow kitty took her maiden voyage yesterday in the loser cruiser, it is the quietest and smoothest ridding vehicle we have. And I didn’t scare it to bad. It is only a 5 week old kitten. I put her inside my down coat inside pocket and it just sat there with its head sticking out watching me.

Tomorrow will be the real test as to if it will make it as a plow kitty.

Steve

------------------

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
The Chicago suburbs have gotten a number of little (like 1/2") snowfalls since the first of the year; our only larger ones came in December but all melted over New Year's.

I'm only complaining because its annoying dealing with 1/2" of snow. The snowblower doesn't do anything besides just sort of "stir" it, so I have to shovel it the old fashioned way. This storm that's forecast for tonight will be a good test for the old blower for sure.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

The Chicago suburbs have gotten a number of little (like 1/2") snowfalls since the first of the year; our only larger ones came in December but all melted over New Year's.

I'm only complaining because its annoying dealing with 1/2" of snow. The snowblower doesn't do anything besides just sort of "stir" it, so I have to shovel it the old fashioned way. This storm that's forecast for tonight will be a good test for the old blower for sure.

Pull the frt feet up into the top most adjustment on the chute. Most are adjusted way to high for light snow falls.

Steve

------------------

FieroReinke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeDirect Link to This Post
They have shut down operations at the plant I work at until 3 pm tomorrow due to drifting snow this afternoon. I get two snow days.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
effin rain rain--I hate it--I hate it's guts and feathers. "Warmer-drier winter" my rear end. There'll be no work done today at my place, with more wet stuff expected thursday, and my pond is already at overflow stage.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
It's faster to shovel 1/2" than to snow blow it

Originally posted by css9450:

PFF
System Bot
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Makes you appreciate spring that much more when it finally arrives!

Currently sitting at -49F here with hot chocolate in hand looking out at the bleak winter landscape from my window.

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
from the sat pics & the estemated path - yes - it will be whopper.
I can only hope it gets pushed a little more north, so Lake Michigan takes out alot of the snow. one of the nice things about the lakes. tho - it will make a big mess for the west side of Michigan. Sorry whoever that was in SW MI - you are gonna get socked.
already planning on NOT driving at all tommarow. probably just spend the day shovelling - tho I am thinking of shoveling it all into a giant pile in the backyard and going sledding. did that once many years ago - back when the daughter was "just a kid", and had a lot of fun. tho - it did make quite a mess when it got warmer....
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-01-2011 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by datacop:

Yep, i wasn't able to even get to my car this morning. Sort of held on to the snow bank and made my way back to my front door.

More ice tonight.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-01-2011 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by maryjane:

effin rain rain--I hate it--I hate it's guts and feathers. "Warmer-drier winter" my rear end. There'll be no work done today at my place, with more wet stuff expected thursday, and my pond is already at overflow stage.

At least your rain is still wet when it hits the ground..
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

At least your rain is still wet when it hits the ground..

It wasn't Sunday night. It bounced when it hit. Hail. Not big tho-- just little stuff.

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:............my pond is already at overflow stage.

Our pond is about half full, rain never fills it directly, it gets full when the TRA opens the flood gates on Lake Ray Hubbard.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
It could be worse--our Aussie friends are about to be hammered with a huge cyclone--as if they haven't had enough problems already.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-01-2011).]

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I still say the storm is a lie.....
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-01-2011 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Tell my hand that. and my side.. i went to try to start the car.. fell 3 times just trying to get back in the house ( 4 if you include the one i fell into the car after managing to get one door open.. ).. fell and cut my hand on the SNOW its so thick with ice... slid out into the street on my butt trying to get up from fall #1..

Gonna be sore tomorrow. but the neighbors across the street enjoyed the show. Thankfully nothing is broke.

More ice is a comin in a couple of hours .. then several inches of snow on top so it wont melt for at least week.

Man i wish i could park in the garage

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 02-01-2011).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Let's hope so....I just found out I've got a session booked in Chicago on Thursday!
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
All of this global warming is terrible, it's supposed to hit 80 here today. I don't miss the snow, the ice, the power outages, etc. at all. I'd rather ride out a hurricane over a blizzard after experiencing several of both.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post02-01-2011 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

All of this global warming is terrible, it's supposed to hit 80 here today. I don't miss the snow, the ice, the power outages, etc. at all. I'd rather ride out a hurricane over a blizzard after experiencing several of both.

I have never had a winter power outage since i moved to the midwest from florida in 1978 .. but i think we are going to this time and i'm NOT prepared.. arrgh i got food/water/etc but no heat source other then a stove.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Nothing here.... just partly sunny... the storm is going south of us.... sigh
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post02-01-2011 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

It's faster to shovel 1/2" than to snow blow it

Its even faster yet to just toss down a few handfulls of salt on the steps/ porch and just drive/ walk over it.

1/2" isnt even worth blinking about.

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Nothing here.... just partly sunny... the storm is going south of us.... sigh

From what I've heard, everywhere from Gaylord south is on some level of storm alert.
jetman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
,,,,,,and to think if that dang groundhog would have got up a day or two early we could have avoided all of this but…..noooooo…….gotta get his sleep,,,,,,, nobody in Punxsutawney dare wake up Phil,,,,,,,,, nooooooo,,,,,,, we get a pounding snow storm while he sleeps in.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
I’d rather have the snow and then the ice instead of the ice first. If it is ice first and then snow it makes for a more dangerous situation. Walking or driving.

Steve

------------------

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

From what I've heard, everywhere from Gaylord south is on some level of storm alert.

Yup.... wimps! Sad, because we could really use the snow up here.
DtheC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2011 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DtheCSend a Private Message to DtheCDirect Link to This Post
Nothing much here in Central Iowa, so far.

------------------
Ol' Paint, 88 Base coupe auto.
Turning white on top, like owner.
Leaks a little, like owner.
Doesn't smoke....... OK, we're trying to quit.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock