Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Motorized Bicycle - A build thread (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Motorized Bicycle - A build thread by OKflyboy
Started on: 01-10-2010 10:27 PM
Replies: 120
Last post by: grkboy707 on 03-30-2011 02:23 PM
OKflyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I know this will make, what, five project threads (the last four ending with "Sorry guys, just can't afford it...")?

Yes, I know I've earned the reputation of a dreamer with little follow through.

However, this project is one of those "dive right in" ones that I just decided I wanted to do last week, and now I'm doing it. Its relatively cheap (at least ,compared to Reverse Trikes and Monster Miatas, anyway). So cheap that I may actually be able to complete it rather quickly. We'll see.

I started talking about these last week in this thread:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/071063.html

I got the info I needed, so rather then keep that thread alive, I decided to start a new thread.

First of all, the scratch-built chopper idea is out. Too much money needed for tools (I don't have a welder, chop saw, etc) But, back to the build.

So here's where it started.

I want a cheap "go fast mobile". Before anyone says it, yes, I have a Z-28, yes, its pretty dang fast. But its also the most expensive thing I own (aside from my house, which really the bank owns...) and when I get behind the wheel, and remember how much it would cost me to replace that fine automobile should something happen to it, well, lets just say, the thirst for speed is lessened, slightly. I've looked into motorcycles, trikes, Miatas. All have proven to be kick-butt projects... that I cannot afford. Through it all, however, I always come back to motorcycles. I love 'em. I've only had one, and she was small (79 Kawasaki 400) but she was a ton of fun. However, as I already mentioned, a new bike is out of the question, a gently used bike is too steep, and a "project bike" is more project then I can handle (I'm okay with cars, not so much with motorcycles).

I was flipping through a motorcycle magazine a couple of weeks back and happen to stumble upon an ad for a Motorized Bicycle. I thought "Hmmm, that's kind of neat although a little silly. I bet they're expensive and slow..." then dismissed it. But the idea stuck with me. Enough for me to run "Motorized Bicycle" through Youtube and Google. What I found amazed me. First of all, they're cheap, with basic Motor kits starting at about $100. Second, with the right configuration, they're fast. Well, fast for a Bicycle, anyway. The average "Fast" one is about 35mph, with a few souped up ones getting up to about 45mph (on a bicycle!!!) and they get amazing mileage, the basic kits about 120mpg and even the souped up ones are getting over 100mpg.

So then I was hooked. Next I started researching bikes to use. My first thought was a chopper, like one of the Schwinn "OCC" choppers. And I wasn't the first to think of this. There are plenty of OCC Schwinns with motors, but they're kids bikes. They made only a few adult sized ones, and they fetch a pretty penny when you can find them at all. Next I started looking around at WalMart, Target, KMart etc for cheap bikes. There are plenty of Beach Cruiser style bikes, which many have motorized, but that's just not my style. Then I turned to my own back yard. I had a Target-special collecting rust in the back yard. This was a bike I loaned to my brother a decade ago. It got stolen from him, was later recovered, but was in horrible shape by the time it made it back to me. The years in my backyard have not helped matters. Ever the cheapskate I decided that fixing this bike and "making it mine" was a better idea then buying a new Target-special only to tear its guts out a few days after purchase. Then, once its a living, breathing Bicycle again, one that I'm not afraid to abuse, only then, will it get a motor kit.

So I've decided to divide this project into 2 phases.

Phase 1 - Refurbishing the Bike

Phase 2 - Motorizing it

Phase One

Unfortunately, I did not think far enough ahead to take a good "Before" picture. These two of my kids tinkering with it last year is the best I can do:

Hard to tell, but its a typical China-bike. (Most bikes made for WalMart, Target, KMart, etc are made in China, like it or not) 18 speed Mountain bike, suspension forks, twist shifter, caliper brakes. Nothing special, but not bad for the price (Think I paid $60 for it around Y2K). You might notice its has two chains and two locks, one was my brothers (which was not being used when it got stolen, BTW) and one was the thief's. I have the keys for neither. Everything that can be rusted shut, is. The derailleurs, the shifters, the brakes, the brake levers, the chain, everything.

The first step was disassembly and cleaning. Didn't get pics of this either, but we stripped it down to a bare frame.

Now, for the first of the modifications.

Ever since my back injury a couple of years ago, I have a hard time stooping down, which makes the hunched over position of a typical mountain bike very uncomfortable for me. I decided to try to replicate a modern Hybrid/Comfort bike as cheaply as I could. My sons have collected a half dozen broken BMX bikes over the years, so I robbed a set of Handle bars and a tree.

After a coat of paint, I decided I wanted to do a quick test fit to see what a mountain bike with BMX bars would feel like. My conclusion, I frickin' LOVE 'em! I can't believe I've had this bike back for 3 years, let it collect rust for two because mountain bikes are too uncomfortable for me to ride, and this was all I frickin' needed to keep from stooping over. What a difference!

(Sorry for my ugly mug!)

That's it for today's progress. Here's some pics of the bike with its new paint.

Just to whet your appetite, here's a couple of Youtube vids to show you what's to come:

45mph Proof:

A basic install:

I will not be using the 2nd chain on the left side of the bike like the basic kits use, but rather a jack shaft:

Coming Next Time

A new lower bearing set, a new rear derailleur and "Comfort Bike" road tires. These will take money that I won't have until next paycheck, so you may not see an update until then.

------------------
"The flag should be displayed with the union down, as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

Read my Earthship thread in Totally O/T
si vis pacem, para bellum

"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is so hard to understand?!

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 01-11-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-10-2010 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Nice thread!
I'm all about it!
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Not bad. I built somthing simmeler in shop class out of nothing but a tractor running board BMX frame pieces of scrap metal sprocket clutch and a snow blower engine. That sucker hauled it had a 5HP motor on it cops hated it because technecley there not allowd to chase it. How do you plan on mounting the engine? Over the back wheel or inside the frame?

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 01-11-2010).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Inside the frame. I hear the "over the back wheel" ones work out pretty well, but honestly, I think they just plain look weird...

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 01-11-2010).]

grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Cant wait to see it! I've really wanted one of these for the past few years!!!
Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I borrowed my g/f computer to upload some pics of mine. I built it using a motor kit from SpookyToothCycles. Something I would definitely recommend is a dual pull brake lever. Leave the left side of the bike handle for the clutch and the right for the brake/throttle. The dual pull brake lets you run the cables for both front and rear calipers so that you don't have an extra pull handle in the way of the clutch. I got mine from Spooky, but they aren't hard to come by elsewhere for around $15.

The bike is currently in my teeny tiny bedroom in my apartment till the roads clear up some to take it on a test run... after that It'll have to live outside in one of the bike racks in the courtyard of my apartment complex

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
What a coincidence, I was looking at spooky cycles just today I wouldn't mind having/converting to one of these, but PA laws say I have to have annual registration and insurance for any motor-driven cycle
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
There are "legal" sections on several forums that you can check under for what it takes to get your project legit. It would probably involve taking your bike frame to a DMV, getting a VIN assigned to it (probably use the frame serial number), call up your insurance, and have it added (probably as a moped). Should be pretty cheap.

I think Kansas law says that it can be ignored as long as its under 135cc and can't excede 35MPH. Yeah, my 66CC kit ought to be fine... I really wanted it to get up a very long, gradually increasing hill to my apartment from campus.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I'm afraid it'll just be a matter of time before the guy in the first video (45mph proof) is a future recipient of a Darwin Award.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I'm afraid it'll just be a matter of time before the guy in the first video (45mph proof) is a future recipient of a Darwin Award.

AGREED.
45mph with no suspension, or helmet is just inviting death to come knocking at your door.
PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

AGREED.
45mph with no suspension, or helmet is just inviting death to come knocking at your door.

Agreed also.

For those speeds I use this w/ Lights , Blinkers, Brake lights !!

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Oh, no doubt! I'm not endorsing this guy's actions, only using it as an example of what these bikes are capable of with the right tweeks.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
There are several on Craig's list for around $300
One was listed at $1200 but it was "special" his words not mine.

I wouldn't mind building one but no way is a 49cc motor going to cart my 220 6'1 butt around town at a reasonable rate of speed. If you go an higher then they start requiring tags and licenses = money

But its a cool project and looking forward to seeing how you make out with the jack shaft setup. IMHO thats the only way to do it.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i've been building myself odd bikes for a couple years (check freakbike and rat rod bikes for the same user name), but i haven't tried putting a motor on one yet. i may have to wander into o/t a little more often and see how you do. i want to try the motor bike thing at least once myself.
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I know a lot of areas limit the MB to 49cc, but its not like there is an easy way for someone to check without pulling the motor. There is an ID plate on the side, but is on the chain cover and held in by 2 rivets. Its pretty easy to pull those rivets off and get a different plate put on a 66cc motor (sold as an 80cc kit) that claims its a 49cc. The easiest way to get a plate is to make one at one of those automated dog tag engraving machines... there was a thread on this on one of the MB forums, I'll see if I can find it.
topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I really want to make one of these so much so, that I am buying an engine kit and will wait for the right (cheap) bike to come along to transform...
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

I really want to make one of these so much so, that I am buying an engine kit and will wait for the right (cheap) bike to come along to transform...

I did it the other way round.
I bought a trike and now I need to buy an engine.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Nothing new to report, here. Still waiting for some cash so I can continue.

Hopefully I'll have my tax return by next week (e-filed yesterday)

Here's another "motivational" video:
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2010 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

Here's another "motivational" video:

He had that up to 50mph!
Awesome!
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2010 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I have been keeping an eye on this thread. Cool stuff! My brother has built one with a kit. I know nothing about this one, but here are some pics. He uses his all of the time. We were talking about this thread last night, and I had him send me some pics. I also sent him the link the the thread. He may be searching for ideas for another motorized bike.

Tony
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
In my jurisdiction, Ontario, we have some fairly stringent laws for motorized bikes, that are, quite frankly a PITA

the Highway Traffic Act has this

motor assisted bicycle” means a bicycle,

(a) that is fitted with pedals that are operable at all times to propel the bicycle,

(b) that weighs not more than fifty-five kilograms,

(c) that has no hand or foot operated clutch or gearbox driven by the motor and transferring power to the driven wheel,

(d) that has an attached motor driven by electricity or having a piston displacement of not more than fifty cubic centimetres, and

(e) that does not have sufficient power to enable the bicycle to attain a speed greater than 50 kilometres per hour on level ground within a distance of 2 kilometres from a standing start; (“cyclomoteur”)

So here I have a 50cc limit and no gears allowed

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 01-16-2010).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

He had that up to 50mph!
Awesome!

That's what I thought at first, but based on some of his other videos I'm pretty sure its kph. Still, that's roughly 30 mph which isn't bad...

Gets up to roughly 40mph in this one:

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 01-16-2010).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

OKflyboy

6607 posts
Member since Nov 2004

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I have been keeping an eye on this thread. Cool stuff! My brother has built one with a kit. I know nothing about this one, but here are some pics. He uses his all of the time. We were talking about this thread last night, and I had him send me some pics. I also sent him the link the the thread. He may be searching for ideas for another motorized bike.

Tony

Not bad! I'm not a huge fan of the over-the-wheel types, but that one looks pretty good!
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
The man who did the stucco on my neighbors house rode a homebuilt motorbike to work every day (He'll never be able to get a drivers license).
He said he had built two for himself, and one for a friend.
He started with a cruiser type bicycle, and using angle steel and u bolts, mounted a Briggs & Stratton four stroke engine that he salvaged from a lawn edger between the front downtube and the seatpost.
He used a moped rear wheel, because he said the Briggs engine would destroy a bicycle wheel pretty quickly.
The spokes pull out of the rim, he said.
By using the moped wheel, he had a large sprocket on the left, connected to the engine via a chain and a centrifugal (automatic) clutch.
On the right he had a small rear sprocket connected to the original pedals.
The twist grip throttle was a bicycle shifter with the detent spring removed.
Yep, almost all recycled, free or nearly free parts.
It went pretty fast, and seemed to be reliable. At least it got him to work and to the liquor store every day!
Sory I dont have pictures.

Of course, the Cadilllac of motorized bicycles was and still is the Whizzer.
http://whizzerworks.tripod.com/restoredbikes.htm
http://www.gocaferacer.com/salesmcwhz.html

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 01-17-2010).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-17-2010 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPTUNE:

Of course, the Cadilllac of motorized bicycles was and still is the Whizzer.
http://whizzerworks.tripod.com/restoredbikes.htm
http://www.gocaferacer.com/salesmcwhz.html

I would kill for a Wizzer!:

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Heck yeah, Whizzers are cool!
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I'd LOVE to have a whizzer, but they're out of my price range right now.

For your parts list, I'd say its looking pretty good except I would add a rear view mirror, speedometer, and a lighting kit (front, rear, and signals).

And a handy tip for when you're moutning your engine, the stock threaded studs kinda suck and I would recommend buying a meter of rebar from Fastenal or the likes for $5 or so and cutting studs to length, loctighting them in via a jam nut, and then mounting the cap of the mounts with nylock nuts from a hardware store. Much, much less likely to rattle something loose or snap a stud than with the stock components... although I'm guilty of not doing this myself but I will after the weather warms up and I cna get outside to do so.
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I used the Best Offer Tab and picked this kit up for less than what the buy it now price is.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

I used the Best Offer Tab and picked this kit up for less than what the buy it now price is.

Nice!

I've got to wait for my tax return, so I'll have a week or so to keep "window shopping". The parts list (and suppliers) above may change a time or two before I buy.
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Here is the one I ride to work when we get warm weather.. Please spring come again....
It's 20 miles round trip.

I have it set for top speed of around 29 which is fast enough in my book. One tip I have regarding the china kits is throw the chain tightener away as they are garbage. Tried mine for 2 min and cut it up and welded it to the frame. In the spring I'm redoing to a spring loaded tightener.
Also going to try moving the motor above the rear wheel with a modified cluster and run with a bike chain to the bike cluster instead of the sprocket that came with the motor. It will be lighter weight but I want the bike to freewheel with the motor off so peddling will be much easier.
Got to get that exercise you know.....

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 01-19-2010).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
HIJACK
I think I have to use a front wheel setup for my bike
(dont laugh)

anyone know of any cheap front mount setups?
/HIJACK

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 01-19-2010).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

HIJACK
I think I have to use a front wheel setup for my bike
(dont laugh)

anyone know of any cheap front mount setups?
/HIJACK

no hijack necessary, I welcome the discussion.

No laughing here, we considered motorizing one of those for my wife. The lack of changeable gears made us decide against it. Since there isn't a single rear wheel to add a sprocket to, the easiest solution I came up with would be to use the shift kit I mentioned above so that you could tie into the trikes original chain setup. Like this:

If you could add a jackshaft later in the chain with gears there, you'd gain some utility out of it. Like this:

If you're deadset on a trike, but haven't already bought that one, spookytooth cycles sells a Trike conversion kit that can be added to virtually any bike, and it already has the 2nd sprocket for the gas motor:

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 01-20-2010).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
I already own it.

I never noticed how steep the hills were in my neighborhood before.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought the 3 speed version.

as it is right now, that 4 block long hill coming home from the store kills me.

I'm not interested in speed. 3 wheelers turn differently than bikes.
15mph would probably be as fast as I would want to go.

EDIT, and I've had cops and neighbors that i've never talked to before stop me and ask if they can ride it.
so I guess I'm the coolest "old" guy on my street.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 01-20-2010).]

Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I got mine running today! I need to make a few tweaks but otherwise it runs well enough around my apartment complex. I had it going for maybe 2 minutes when I had a guy asking me how I got it to work. Apparently he had tried rigging one up using a weed whacker motor and a friction drive setup but he didn't get it to work very well... I told him I bought it as a kit so I won't be surprised if he builds one.

Anyway, on the trike I was thinking of Spookies kit as well; I don't know of a good front mount kit but I'm sure something could be rigged if you wanted. It would be nice to have the storage behind the seat, but meh... there are other ways to stow stuff on a regular bike.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2010 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alibi:
Anyway, on the trike I was thinking of Spookies kit as well; I don't know of a good front mount kit but I'm sure something could be rigged if you wanted. It would be nice to have the storage behind the seat, but meh... there are other ways to stow stuff on a regular bike.

With the trike, only one of the rear wheels is driven, (I think it's the right side)
other wise you would have a horrible tire scrub when you tried to turn. (and turning one of these things is freaky enough to begin with)

I got the trike because the boy is on a bicycle with training wheels. and he rides much slower than I could keep a 2 wheeler up without putting my feet down.
So I got the trike for being able to go very slow.
I should have just waited another 6 months, cause now he gives me a run for my money.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2010 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Here is the one I ride to work when we get warm weather.. Please spring come again....
It's 20 miles round trip.

I have it set for top speed of around 29 which is fast enough in my book. One tip I have regarding the china kits is throw the chain tightener away as they are garbage. Tried mine for 2 min and cut it up and welded it to the frame. In the spring I'm redoing to a spring loaded tightener.
Also going to try moving the motor above the rear wheel with a modified cluster and run with a bike chain to the bike cluster instead of the sprocket that came with the motor. It will be lighter weight but I want the bike to freewheel with the motor off so peddling will be much easier.
Got to get that exercise you know.....

Nice!

I'm not worried about the chain tightener as I'm planning on installing a Sick Bike Parts shift kit (or the copy sold by thatsdax) and will not be using the left-side chain.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 01-22-2010).]

Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2010 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I'm discovering on my kit how crappy the tensioner is. I'm not sure if its my fault for placement or if its just slipping loose, but the chain is bouncing around pretty good now that I've ran the bike some.
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2010 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
The brown truck left a package for me today - I am going with the shift kit, so I still need to get one of those, then all that is left is to find the right bike.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock