Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Screw it, lets trash this place (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Screw it, lets trash this place by tbone42
Started on: 11-06-2010 11:40 PM
Replies: 83
Last post by: newf on 11-09-2010 12:19 AM
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 08-11-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

WhiteDevil88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2010 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
Earth First!

We can rape the other planets later.

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
I don't mind the concept of "living with the planet", but 95% of the "green" stuff is BS. Ways to make some money and invent new ways to fine you...
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Meh, do whatever saves you the most money. Drive a super fuel efficient car? Don't do it to save the planet, do it so you can get a few extra bucks.

I agree with above that the majority of the green stuff is just a money making deal.

Brad
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2010 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Untill we stop pointing guns at each others heads, there never has been any hope.
Save the money, save the planet, but what are we really saving for our children?

Burn it all down, there's nothing left.
Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Direct Link to This Post

------------------

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

Earth First!

We can rape the other planets later.

Mars has already been tapped (by non-Earthlings)

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post
I'm always amazed by the thoughts that the "green" stuff being just a money making scheme. What isn't done to make money? Switching to greener technologies has the added benefit of less pollution and harm to the environment, if someone makes money off of that who cares? If those that make money off of it are local even better IMO.
You don't think oil companies are in business to make money? Don't think they overcharge for their products and are getting super rich? Don't think they have more influence on politics and policy? Don't think they will delay any significant change away from petroleum? Ha! Not saying they are any better or worse than any other companies, just that it is they that have the power and love to make people believe it's the "greenies" that are the bad guys. Smart business.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 11-07-2010).]

spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

--clip-- I'm sure this will get me pegged as some tree hugger.. but you know what? Trees are important, too. Or at least they used to be. --clip--

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

-- Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918) --

PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to invest in water - because, it won't be too long until its more expensive than petrol.

I've lived for myself first, everything else comes second (environment included)
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
Trash everywhere looks messy.

The planet will be fine, we might poison ourselves in the meantime. Me, I start and distribute plants. Plants are their bugs do a great job cleaning the environment. I mix the shredded paper with my plant dirt, works fine. Dig small holes in the yard for fido waste, works fine.

Freakin relax.
theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
Your position on a "green" life doesn't bother me... but hearing that you don't have anyone else to live for but yourself does. That's concerning.

Do you have nieces? Nephews? Friends with kids?

I could not care less if you drove a 6 mpg car or a 60 mpg bike, but besides living a green life, don't you have anything else to live for?

It just sounds like you are at a spot right now where you don't realize how much of an impact your life actually makes on this earth. Not to sounds sappy and childish, but you make a difference. Like I said, I don't care if you trash the planet or not... but don't let that "not caring" attitude reflect in the rest of your life. Keep your friends and family close, and don't lose sight of that. The world is not important, it'll take care of itself. Your relationships with your loved ones are important.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

I'm always amazed by the thoughts that the "green" stuff being just a money making scheme. First of all what isn't done to make money? Second switching to greener technologies has the added benefit of less pollution and harm to the environment, if someone makes money off of that who cares? If those that make money off of it are local even better IMO.
You don't think oil companies are in business to make money? Don't think they overcharge for their products and are getting super rich? Don't think they have more influence on politics and policy? Don't think they will delay any significant change away from petroleum? Ha! Not saying they are any better or worse than any other companies, just that it is they that have the power and love to make people believe it's the "greenies" that are the bad guys. Smart business.

I never said there was anything wrong with making money off of the suckers that think they are actually saving the planet. Heck, I'm all for it.

It's the places that use emotions to make money that bug me. It's not a terrible thing, until you start scaring people into giving you money, that's when I have an issue.

I think oil is alternative energy, it's green as well. Renewable, and the ultimate form of recycling.

On the other side of the coin I know people that are "saving the planet" by purchasing a new car that uses less fuel. That's awesome. Until a sane person starts doing common sense math. That car costs 30+ thousand dollars, and gets a whopping 40 MPG. In a few years the batteries that supplement the fuel economy need replaced for another few thousand dollars, also creating more waste. In the meantime I can go on craigslist, purchase a Geo Metro, or Ford Fiesta for a few (3-8k) thousand dollars, get around the same mileage, and not waste resources, recycle etc.
. Most people are just what I call "iPod Hippies" though, and want to save the world in the coolest way possible, and don't care if they are really not saving anything, as long as they look cool.

theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

BLAH BLAH BLAH

purchase a Geo Metro

BLAH BLAH

All Brad is really trying to say here, is that he loves my Geo Metro and would do unimaginable things to take it off my hands.

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

I'm always amazed by the thoughts that the "green" stuff being just a money making scheme. What isn't done to make money? Switching to greener technologies has the added benefit of less pollution and harm to the environment, if someone makes money off of that who cares? If those that make money off of it are local even better IMO.

I wonder how many people realize how much mercury is in florescent light bulbs and how much more they cost. Sure you might make it up with savings but is your health worth it?
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

you cannot eat or drink money when there is no water or food left, and debt means nothing when you are breathing your last.

Not true, as we all know, bacon will be the future currency!
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post11-07-2010 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

I don't mind the concept of "living with the planet", but 95% of the "green" stuff is BS. Ways to make some money and invent new ways to fine you...

Yup. Just use common sense in what we do and it will all be ok. And i do care about others kids....
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post11-07-2010 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Nurb432

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

I'm going to invest in water - because, it won't be too long until its more expensive than petrol.

I've lived for myself first, everything else comes second (environment included)

Water already is more expensive if you buy it in those little bottles.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Nuke the whales.
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Screw it, lets trash this place

The ending to every good party I have ever gone to.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Being green is BS, caution NWS

Save the whales, save the snails, save the tree, save the flees

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Steve, I don't agree with you very much, but this expresses my philosophy on the subject exactly.
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

All Brad is really trying to say here, is that he loves my Geo Metro and would do unimaginable things to take it off my hands.

unimaginable things.

Brad

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 11-07-2010).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
Steve, I don't agree with you very much, but this expresses my philosophy on the subject exactly.

Well you are not alone, most people don’t agree with me on most things. I will never understand why, but to each his own.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Being green is BS, caution NWS

Save the whales, save the snails, save the tree, save the flees

Steve

Always loved that line...

I wasn't trying to say that "green" companies are trying to make money, differently then other energy companies but sometimes, their product isn't really so green...
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

I wonder how many people realize how much mercury is in florescent light bulbs and how much more they cost. Sure you might make it up with savings but is your health worth it?

* A single CFL contains 5 milligrams (abbreviated as mg) of mercury. See link (4)
* When a CFL is shattered only 17% to 40% of the mercury is actually released into the air. The rest remains attached to the CFL glass fragments. See link (2).
* So of the total 5mg of mercury in a CFL only 0.85mg (17% of 5mg) to 2mg (40% of 5mg) make it into the air.
* In addition, only 1/3rd of that 17% to 40%, makes it into the air in the first 8 hours from the time the CFL shatters. See link (2).
* So only 0.28mg (1/3rd of 0.85mg) to 0.67mg (1/3rd of 2mg) of mercury will make it into the air if the shattered CFL is not disposed in 8 hours.
* 1 milligram equals 1000 micrograms (abbreviated as ug).
* 0.67mg = 670ug

Bottom line, if you absolutely shatter a CFL, and leave it there for 8 hours, it will release at most 670ug of mercury into the air.

Now on tuna... here is what eating tuna means in terms of mercury:
* The average mercury content in tuna is about 0.31 micrograms (abbreviated as ug) per gram (abbreviated as g) of tuna. See link (3) and (5).
* A 6 oz can of tuna is 170g
* This means there are 52.70 ug (170 * 0.31 ug) of mercury in a 6 oz can of tuna.
* 13 cans of tuna would introduce about 685 ug of mercury into your body.

The above are all factual numbers, no conclusions or assumptions. 13 cans of 6oz tuna contain the same amount of mercury as you would release from a shattered CFL in 8 hours.

(1) http://www.maine.gov/dep/rw...report/appendixe.pdf
(2) http://www.state.nj.us/dep/...ch/mercury-bulbs.pdf
(3) http://www.pbs.org/now/science/mercuryinfish.html
(4) http://green.yahoo.com/blog...-cfls-the-facts.html
(5) http://www.epa.gov/watersci.../1-meal-per-week.pdf
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Well guys, I have officially given up.
So throw down that garbage, drive that gas guzzler, and don't forget to burn some plastic and let some refridgerant into the ozone. Screw it, lets trash this place.

Of course, if the world gets its head out of its rear end and presents a plan, I may even cooperate and help out. Don't see that happening.

Ok, so you've given up and not only decided to not spend the time and effort to save the planet, but you now want to spend extra effort to destroy it, and make a post about it to tell everyone.
So, are you hoping to get talked out of it? Trying to shock people?

It's kind of like people who post that they're leaving the forum, etc. Whatever. Just do what you're going to do, man.

Oh, something to consider next time you're paying school taxes. Who do you think is going to be running the country in the future when you're old and gray?
You could directly benefit if they aren't morons.
newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Do you? Look into it.

Edit: Whoops look like ryan.hess posted some good info already.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 11-07-2010).]

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Carlin's motto always was don't sweat the small stuff.

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:

* A single CFL contains 5 milligrams (abbreviated as mg) of mercury. See link (4)
* When a CFL is shattered only 17% to 40% of the mercury is actually released into the air. The rest remains attached to the CFL glass fragments. See link (2).
* So of the total 5mg of mercury in a CFL only 0.85mg (17% of 5mg) to 2mg (40% of 5mg) make it into the air.
* In addition, only 1/3rd of that 17% to 40%, makes it into the air in the first 8 hours from the time the CFL shatters. See link (2).
* So only 0.28mg (1/3rd of 0.85mg) to 0.67mg (1/3rd of 2mg) of mercury will make it into the air if the shattered CFL is not disposed in 8 hours.
* 1 milligram equals 1000 micrograms (abbreviated as ug).
* 0.67mg = 670ug

Bottom line, if you absolutely shatter a CFL, and leave it there for 8 hours, it will release at most 670ug of mercury into the air.

Now on tuna... here is what eating tuna means in terms of mercury:
* The average mercury content in tuna is about 0.31 micrograms (abbreviated as ug) per gram (abbreviated as g) of tuna. See link (3) and (5).
* A 6 oz can of tuna is 170g
* This means there are 52.70 ug (170 * 0.31 ug) of mercury in a 6 oz can of tuna.
* 13 cans of tuna would introduce about 685 ug of mercury into your body.

The above are all factual numbers, no conclusions or assumptions. 13 cans of 6oz tuna contain the same amount of mercury as you would release from a shattered CFL in 8 hours.

(1) http://www.maine.gov/dep/rw...report/appendixe.pdf
(2) http://www.state.nj.us/dep/...ch/mercury-bulbs.pdf
(3) http://www.pbs.org/now/science/mercuryinfish.html
(4) http://green.yahoo.com/blog...-cfls-the-facts.html
(5) http://www.epa.gov/watersci.../1-meal-per-week.pdf

Good information, but the mercury in the tuna isn't "released into the air" so why do you only consider the mercury from a broken CFL that's released into the air?
The amount that is attached to glass fragments also needs to be dealt with. Ever broken a light bulb? Ever see how much that glass can fragment? Ever cut yourself cleaning up a broken lightbulb?

According to the EPA, here's what you should do if a CFL bulb breaks...
Source: http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

Before Cleanup: Air Out the Room

* Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out.
* Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
* Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.

Cleanup Steps for Hard Surfaces

* Carefully scoop up glass pieces and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
* Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
* Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place towels in the glass jar or plastic bag.
* Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.

Cleanup Steps for Carpeting or Rug

* Carefully pick up glass fragments and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
* Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
* If vacuuming is needed after all visible materials are removed, vacuum the area where the bulb was broken.
* Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister), and put the bag or vacuum debris in a sealed plastic bag.

Cleanup Steps for Clothing, Bedding and Other Soft Materials

* If clothing or bedding materials come in direct contact with broken glass or mercury-containing powder from inside the bulb that may stick to the fabric, the clothing or bedding should be thrown away. Do not wash such clothing or bedding because mercury fragments in the clothing may contaminate the machine and/or pollute sewage.
* You can, however, wash clothing or other materials that have been exposed to the mercury vapor from a broken CFL, such as the clothing you are wearing when you cleaned up the broken CFL, as long as that clothing has not come into direct con tact with the materials from the broken bulb.
* If shoes come into direct contact with broken glass or mercury-containing powder from the bulb, wipe them off with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place the towels or wipes in a glass jar or plastic bag for disposal.

Disposal of Cleanup Materials

* Immediately place all clean-up materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area for the next normal trash pickup.
* Wash your hands after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing clean-up materials.
* Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your specific area. Some states do not allow such trash disposal. Instead, they require that broken and unbroken mercury-containing bulbs be taken to a local recycling center.

Future Cleaning of Carpeting or Rug: Air Out the Room During and After Vacuuming

* The next several times you vacuum, shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system and open a window before vacuuming.
* Keep the central heating/air conditioning system shut off and the window open for at least 15 minutes after vacuuming is completed.

The 670µg of Hg vapor aren't your only concern. (fyi, micrograms is abbreviated "µg" not "ug")
I noticed you quote the EPA to support your argument illustrating how small the Hg exposure is from a broken CFL compared to eating tuna, but you don't quote their own recommendations specifically for a broken CFL. Interesting.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 11-07-2010).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
New GREEN light bulbs are full of mercury. Your not even supposed to throw them in the trash, but dispose of them at an authorized place. Screw that, I throw my bulbs, batteries, even plastic car parts and batteries in my dumpster. Thats why I rent it. Let them worry about it. And Ya, even throw my used motor oil out back in the woods.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
Good information, but the mercury in the tuna isn't "released into the air" so why do you only consider the mercury from a broken CFL that's released into the air?
The amount that is attached to glass fragments also needs to be dealt with. Ever broken a light bulb? Ever see how much that glass can fragment? Ever cut yourself cleaning up a broken lightbulb?

Well, if you want to eat the broken glass, that's your prerogative. But even a cut won't do much harm. If you're jumping barefoot on the broken glass, and get a few grams of glass embedded, you might have to worry.

YMMV.

For the record, I still treat broken CFL's like hazardous waste. Open windows, gloves on, etc.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

ryan.hess

20784 posts
Member since Dec 2002

The 670µg of Hg vapor aren't your only concern. (fyi, micrograms is abbreviated "µg" not "ug")

You mean isn't.

FYI.

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
a. If a broken cfl results in such a small amt of mercury release, and is realtively harmless compared to THIRTEEN cans of tuna--why do you treat it like hazmat?

b. How many broken CFL bilbs will there be in the US each year after incandescent bulbs are "extinct"?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Well, if you want to eat the broken glass, that's your prerogative. But even a cut won't do much harm. If you're jumping barefoot on the broken glass, and get a few grams of glass embedded, you might have to worry.

YMMV.

For the record, I still treat broken CFL's like hazardous waste. Open windows, gloves on, etc.

So for the sake of proving your argument on the internet you effectively tell me to ignore the EPA recommendations and say it's not a risk unless you EAT the glass, and in the next breath say when it's your OWN health, you treat it like hazardous waste.

Uh huh.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatDirect Link to This Post
fact: the world is more polluted now than it was 500 years ago
fact: people live longer and healthier lives than they did 500 years ago

conclusion: pollution is good!
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

a. If a broken cfl results in such a small amt of mercury release, and is realtively harmless compared to THIRTEEN cans of tuna--why do you treat it like hazmat?

b. How many broken CFL bilbs will there be in the US each year after incandescent bulbs are "extinct"?

a) Same reason I don't eat shark, tuna, etc. I like to limit my exposure to toxins.

b) From what I've read, the amount of mercury released by broken CFL's will be less than that emitted by coal plants to power their incandescent cousins. No source, I'm lazy and have things to do.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

You mean isn't.

FYI.

"670 micrograms" is plural.

[sarchasm]
Of course, if I used the wrong verb tense, it obviously means the EPA doesn't consider mercury to be a hazardous material.
[/sarchasm]
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock