Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Chrysler suspends workers caught drinking, smoking on break (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Chrysler suspends workers caught drinking, smoking on break by jaskispyder
Started on: 09-23-2010 09:27 AM
Replies: 98
Last post by: jaskispyder on 09-28-2010 11:41 AM
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
http://www.mlive.com/auto/i...ds_workers_caug.html

Chrysler said it has suspended some plant workers caught by a Detroit television station drinking alcohol and smoking what appeared to be marijuana during breaks.

Chrysler manufacturing chief Scott Garberding told WJBK-TV in a report that aired Wednesday night that the automaker identified some of the workers from Detroit's Jefferson North plant on tape and was pursuing the others. Garberding and other Chrysler executives came to the Fox affiliate's studio to view the footage.

Garberding told the station a few workers were suspended indefinitely without pay pending further investigation. He did not say how many.

"For us, this behavior is totally unacceptable and will be dealt with swiftly," he said. "What's difficult about this is these few people who exhibited bad behavior have painted a bad picture of what's an outstanding assembly plant filled with outstanding and committed Chrysler employees."

WJBK said it received a tip from a plant worker and followed about a dozen men for 10 days this month during their late morning, half-hour lunch break. It filmed them going to a convenience store to buy alcohol and taking it to a nearby park to drink and smoke.

The United Auto Workers said in a statement to the station that it strongly opposes the use of alcohol or controlled substances on the job.

"The employees involved in this situation do not represent the vast majority of workers at Chrysler who do a great job making high quality vehicles in some of the most productive manufacturing facilities in the United States," the union said.

President Barack Obama visited Jefferson North and other auto plants in July to argue that his administration's $60 billion bailout of Chrysler and General Motors was paying off through increased car sales and progress on battery-powered vehicles.

Chrysler received about $15 billion in governm
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Loki

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Good

------------------
Michael Geddie Photography

Yahoo! = michael_from_tx | MSN = red85gt@hotmail.com | AOL = fieroloki1976

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

http://www.mlive.com/auto/i...ds_workers_caug.html

Chrysler said it has suspended some plant workers caught by a Detroit television station drinking alcohol and smoking what appeared to be marijuana during breaks.

Chrysler manufacturing chief Scott Garberding told WJBK-TV in a report that aired Wednesday night that the automaker identified some of the workers from Detroit's Jefferson North plant on tape and was pursuing the others. Garberding and other Chrysler executives came to the Fox affiliate's studio to view the footage.

Garberding told the station a few workers were suspended indefinitely without pay pending further investigation. He did not say how many.

"For us, this behavior is totally unacceptable and will be dealt with swiftly," he said. "What's difficult about this is these few people who exhibited bad behavior have painted a bad picture of what's an outstanding assembly plant filled with outstanding and committed Chrysler employees."

WJBK said it received a tip from a plant worker and followed about a dozen men for 10 days this month during their late morning, half-hour lunch break. It filmed them going to a convenience store to buy alcohol and taking it to a nearby park to drink and smoke.

The United Auto Workers said in a statement to the station that it strongly opposes the use of alcohol or controlled substances on the job.

"The employees involved in this situation do not represent the vast majority of workers at Chrysler who do a great job making high quality vehicles in some of the most productive manufacturing facilities in the United States," the union said.

President Barack Obama visited Jefferson North and other auto plants in July to argue that his administration's $60 billion bailout of Chrysler and General Motors was paying off through increased car sales and progress on battery-powered vehicles.

Chrysler received about $15 billion in governm

I was waiting for the part where the UAW would add it's two cents in.

I can't help but think that the only thing they're thinking about is: "Oh no... this will look bad on us and it could mean more hate towards unions and will likely lead to reduced worker dues and will mean that we'll have to give up our lavish parties in down-town DC at the Wardmen towers and we'll have to sell our yachts and luxury cars..."

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Common problem at all Big 3.

Only reason they (union/management) did anything because worker got caught on TV. Union and Management both knew before. They claim innocent but they knew. Chrysler Newark plant, before it closed, as a problem too. Union And Management knew and did nothing. GM Boxwood same problem. Both have a liqueur store next to Plant... Lunch hour, shift change, etc, = rush hour at store. New owner at Boxwood plant is likely to be the same if UAW squash random drug test.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
The UAW should state that if this information is found to be true, those individuals will be fired and anyone with knowledge of this activity will be reprimanded.

Yeah... this won't happen.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Hey, I just thought about this... at least they did it on break

Seriously.... these people don't know how good they have it and maybe it is time to remind the workers that they should be happy to be employed, especially in these difficult economic times.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
It's about time! The problem has been well known by both the companies and the UAW for decades.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I remember a few UAW workers talking about playing cards and BBQing while at work.... I have also heard about drinking and drugs while at work. Some would also sit in the bathroom for hours. Just amazing. I am sure some of this has changed, but not all.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

The UAW should state that if this information is found to be true, those individuals will be fired and anyone with knowledge of this activity will be reprimanded.

Yeah... this won't happen.

Don't hold your breath.

I used to be in a union, in a retail store that was a union shop. I saw TWO guys get fired for STEALING, but the union got them their jobs back.

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
That's union people for ya. They are a different and worthless breed of people. I rather stick them on welfare than have them lift a finger in any company. I hope in time they die off the branch of the human evolutionary tree.

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 09-23-2010).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I have a friend who used to work for the rail road. He told me if they were caught drinking or doing drugs, by a random drug test, all they had to do is admit they had a problem and ask to be put in a program. That was a union job too and I don't think they fired too many of them, if any.
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

That's union people for ya. They are a differnt and worthless breed of people. I rather stick them on welfare than have them lift a finger in any company. I hope in time they die off the branch of the human evolutionary tree.

The workers aren't totally innocent, obviously, but it's the union management / mentality / policy that keeps them here.

In any other normal business situation, these workers would have been fired and replaced with younger, more eager to work employees.

These guys who were fired would then have either gone on to live their lives either learning from their experience and turned themselves around, or living their life somewhere else.

But... we HAVE TO REMEMBER that the UNION is ALSO a corporation. For every worker that's let go, that means a PAY CUT for the union corporation.

The problem is that, they don't really care about the worker... they care about making sure they get continuous income. That's all it's about.

Most of these guys will go right back to work, and the union will continue to collect dues.

------------------
Todd,

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

In any other normal business situation, these workers would have been fired and replaced with younger, more eager to work employees.

They don't have to be younger, they just have to be eager.

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

One of the cases for unions is that lots of non-unionized businesses find ways to fire and replace workers for reasons that aren't legitimate. Some unions have gotten so powerful that they abuse it and fight for workers such as the one in this story when they shouldn't.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

One of the cases for unions is that lots of non-unionized businesses find ways to fire and replace workers for reasons that aren't legitimate. Some unions have gotten so powerful that they abuse it and fight for workers such as the one in this story when they shouldn't.

Not sure if you're aware of this... but if an employee works hard and is valuable... they like to keep the worker.

The rare cases in which this is not true is:

1 - The company has to restructure because it's losing money.
2 - New management comes in and wants to bring in their own people.

... and for the most part, we have laws in place (here in the US) to protect workers from firing due to disabilities and other things that are out of their control.

No matter how you slice it... the unions are a corporation. For as much as you want to defend the union, they are FAR WORSE in the exact same corruptions as you claim the companies they support are.

PLEASE REMEMBER... the UNION is a corporation. It is a FOR-PROFIT organization. They make money.

I'll repeate it again... I have TWO family members who actually work FOR the union... not represented by a union, but are actual UNION employees. One of them is a representative, and the other one is an office manager.

The benefits they get are unbelievably ridiculous. I KNOW you've heard me talk about it before, so I won't repeate them all. But these benefits they get are all at the expense of the workers (in this case, the teachers).

The union's PRIMARY goal is to make money. The SECOND goal is to take care of their own employees. The THIRD goal is to take care of the workers who pay them dues.

I mean... this is all fact. You can argue whether it works or not, but these are facts.
------------------
Todd,

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 09-23-2010).]

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
No wonder my car often feels like it was built by stoners.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post

The workers aren't totally innocent, obviously, but it's the union management / mentality / policy that keeps them here.

These guys who were fired would then have either gone on to live their lives either learning from their experience and turned themselves around, or living their life somewhere else.

But... we HAVE TO REMEMBER that the UNION is ALSO a corporation. For every worker that's let go, that means a PAY CUT for the union corporation.

The problem is that, they don't really care about the worker... they care about making sure they get continuous income. That's all it's about.

Most of these guys will go right back to work, and the union will continue to collect dues.

You are right. They have long ago ceased to care about workers and their conditions. The union organ is a political and mob extortion ring. For example, they say they hate Wal-mart and blame them for ills, but what they want is to unionized the million employees of Wal-mart, which will give the union a 1/3 of a billion dollars in dues per year to spend on top union people. They'll love Wal-mart and their sourcing of Chinese goods.

Avengador1? You are right. I've seen this over and over again with union druggies and drunks. Not only do they collect DUI's, but they arrive to work (often late) drunk or high many, many times and when caught, claim they need rehab. They'll do this three times a year (was the max allowed) until HR finally fires them, only to see them come back two-weeks later to work because the Union would threaten to sue the company. These union drunks made up half the union membership were I worked.

What these (Drunk and druggie) union slobs did was just sit around all day smoking and playing cards. Which was fine, because we didn't want them working on anything. Sucked for the company that still have to give them a paycheck. I always loved it when one of these union slobs would die from an overdose or went to prison for drug possesion conviction. That was wonderful news.

loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Union workers being drunk on the job? In other news, THE SKY IS BLUE!
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post09-23-2010 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

That's union people for ya. They are a different and worthless breed of people. I rather stick them on welfare than have them lift a finger in any company. I hope in time they die off the branch of the human evolutionary tree.

Not all are bad. I know a lot of people that are part of a union that are hard workers trying to make a living and doing the right thing.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nurb432:

Not all are bad. I know a lot of people that are part of a union that are hard workers trying to make a living and doing the right thing.

Yeah... and the other workers don't like then. I think the quote goes something like this... "Stop working so hard, you're making the rest of us look bad!"

------------------
Todd,

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2010 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I spent quite a few years in the robotics field, building lines for the big 3. All one needs to do, is park their car in the employee lot. Then, on the way into the plant, try not to step on an empty Mohawk bottle, blunt wrap container, or brown paper bag with a can in it. I is a real challenge. Remember the saying, "Never buy a car that was built on a Friday. Thursday is payday."
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Hey now, the union is just looking out for the worker's right to get drunk and stoned at work.
This wouldn't be a problem if they could drink and smoke on the line. It's all because the CEO makes too much money.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
I spent quite a few years in the robotics field, building lines for the big 3. All one needs to do, is park their car in the employee lot. Then, on the way into the plant, try not to step on an empty Mohawk bottle, blunt wrap container, or brown paper bag with a can in it. I is a real challenge. Remember the saying, "Never buy a car that was built on a Friday. Thursday is payday."

lol - yup.

one thing most either dont know, or dont take into account is the HUGE number of people going in & out of these plants.

you WILL get the good & bad apples in these size bunches. just like anywhere else.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Pyrthian

29569 posts
Member since Jul 2002
TRENTON: Police looking for man accused of destroying property at engine plant
Published: Thursday, July 15, 2010

TRENTON — Police are seeking help in locating a man accused of destroying property at an engine plant.

Robert Allen Colling, 55, of Washington Township, is wanted on one count of attempted malicious destruction of personal property.

The felony charge carries a penalty of 2 1/2 years in prison or a $5,000 fine, Sgt. Mark Enright said.

Colling is accused of dropping bolts into an engine block as it was being assembled at Chrysler’s Trenton South Engine Plant.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call the Trenton Police at 1-734-676-3737.

http://www.thenewsherald.co...0c99f15814278073.txt

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I saw the same thing happen in the non-union plant I worked at in San Angelo. 1st instance, the guys involved were written up. 7 or 8 men if i remember correctly--drinking and smoking in the raw material staging area. It happened again, (same bunch) and they were all fired on the spot, with a bad recomendation permanently placed in their employee file. When the termination papers hit corporate the next week, a company wide meeting was called by the owner who flew down from DFW and reportedly lambasted management in private, then laid down the law to the rest of us--there would be no longer be a "second chance"--didn't matter who you were--how high up in the company, or how long you had been there. Quite a few drunks and dopers lost their jobs in the next 6 months, including a vice president. When the owner dropped the hammer--he meant it. Some of the fired, were friends of mine, and their families suffered because of their usage and subsequent firing, but they were just too dam dumb to learn.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 09-23-2010).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
New manager in town probably? One that actually cares?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2010 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
Just to play devils advocate here......

How many office or white-collar tech workers go to a restaurant for lunch and have a drink with their meal and its normal.......but if a line worker has a beer with his sammiches, that's somehow different and cause for crucifixion ?.......sheet...how many of us have had weekly Friday "meetings" on company time at the local watering hole--but hey, we are talking shop or planning the next week, or devising strategy, so its OK.

I know I've spent most of my tech career doing those things, sometimes with the president of the company.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
I worked at DEC, Digital Equipment during a layoff from GM.

Went to lunches with the bosses as I was in charge of shipping and receiving. You want to talk about a bunch of drunks. A couple of beers and a joint couldn’t hold a candle to the mudslides an martinis they had.

I am still waiting for the video to download, dialup. But from what I see so far this is guys on their lunch brake.

Evidently none of you ever had a beer at lunch?

Or anything else at lunch?

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
The example I gave above was during lunch--paid lunch. We were all required to clock out, but were paid for it. Some sort of reg so they could prove documentation that they didn't work us 10-12 hrs without allowing time to eat. Anywhere I ever worked, as far as I remember, drinking during lunch or breaks was grounds for termination.

Come in mornings with a hangover?--yep--done that. Made for a miserable long day.
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Evidently none of you ever had a beer at lunch?

Or anything else at lunch?

Steve

NEVER! Off duty and after hours have I drank beyond excess and looked pretty despicable and others knew I was a Soldier? Yes. Then after doing that for about 6-7 years of my career, I grew up.

Oops, to be honest, while I was a Food and Beverage Manager at a hotel, I was allowed to nurse 1 beer an hour while conversing with the guests. But, if I appeared drunk, I would have been fired.

Of course you defend these guys. Shall we pull your quote from another thread about drinking a case of beer/day 25 years ago?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

NEVER! Off duty and after hours have I drank beyond excess and looked pretty despicable and others knew I was a Soldier? Yes. Then after doing that for about 6-7 years of my career, I grew up.

Oops, to be honest, while I was a Food and Beverage Manager at a hotel, I was allowed to nurse 1 beer an hour while conversing with the guests. But, if I appeared drunk, I would have been fired.

Of course you defend these guys. Shall we pull your quote from another thread about drinking a case of beer/day 25 years ago?

Op-Ed: Let Soldiers Drink Beer
August 3, 2009

Listen to the Story
Talk of the Nation
[16 min 54 sec]
Add to Playlist
Download
text size A A A August 3, 2009
Reports raise concern about rising rates of alcohol abuse among soldiers fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq. In an op-ed for The Washington Post, retired Army Lt. Col. Charles Krohn argues that with soldiers sacrificing so much, a case of beer actually helps keep morale up.

Copyright © 2009 National Public Radio®. For personal, noncommercial use only. See Terms of Use. For other uses, prior permission required.
NEAL CONAN, host:
Now, we turn to the TALK OF THE NATION weekly Opinion Page and more beer politics. Not the president, the policeman and the professor this time, but U.S. troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, both Islamic countries where, under General Order 1B, the possession, use and consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited. Even so, rates of alcohol abuse are rising there, and many connect that to the rising number of soldier suicides as well. Retired Lieutenant Colonel Charles Krohn has fond memories of the daily beer rations he and his men received during the Vietnam War. He wrote an op-ed in yesterday's Washington Post titled, "Let the Soldiers Drink."
If you've served in the military, how important was the beer ration to you? Does it make things better or worse? 800-989-8255, email: talk@npr.org. You can also join the conversation on our Web site at npr.org, click on TALK OF THE NATION.
And Retired Lieutenant Colonel Charles Krohn joins us here in Studio 3A. Good to have you on TALK OF THE NATION today.
Mr. CHARLES KROHN (Retired Lieutenant Colonel, U.S. Army): Thank you, Neal.
CONAN: And you wrote in that piece it was always a blessing at the end of the day to see that last helicopter come in, carrying a sling full of beer.
Mr. KROHN: Well, that's right. And the point is that

http://www.npr.org/template...hp?storyId=111504707

Seems you are not the norm.

Steve

------------------

PFF
System Bot
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Not sure if you're aware of this... but if an employee works hard and is valuable... they like to keep the worker.

The rare cases in which this is not true is:

1 - The company has to restructure because it's losing money.
2 - New management comes in and wants to bring in their own people.

... and for the most part, we have laws in place (here in the US) to protect workers from firing due to disabilities and other things that are out of their control.

No matter how you slice it... the unions are a corporation. For as much as you want to defend the union, they are FAR WORSE in the exact same corruptions as you claim the companies they support are.

PLEASE REMEMBER... the UNION is a corporation. It is a FOR-PROFIT organization. They make money.

I'll repeate it again... I have TWO family members who actually work FOR the union... not represented by a union, but are actual UNION employees. One of them is a representative, and the other one is an office manager.

The benefits they get are unbelievably ridiculous. I KNOW you've heard me talk about it before, so I won't repeate them all. But these benefits they get are all at the expense of the workers (in this case, the teachers).

The union's PRIMARY goal is to make money. The SECOND goal is to take care of their own employees. The THIRD goal is to take care of the workers who pay them dues.

I mean... this is all fact. You can argue whether it works or not, but these are facts.

I've worked for both and seen inequities on both sides, like most things it's not all black and white (good and evil).
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

And you wrote in that piece it was always a blessing at the end of the day to see that last helicopter come in, carrying a sling full of beer.
Mr. KROHN: Well, that's right. And the point is that

Seems you are not the norm.

Steve

At the end of the day. OFF DUTY. Even in a war environment there is some off duty time. Care to try again? Sorry, Steve, for 15 years I have been an Alcohol and Drug Abuse Program Coordinator. One drinks or does drugs on duty and is caught and the military has a special little program for them and there isn't a second chance after that.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

And you wrote in that piece it was always a blessing at the end of the day to see that last helicopter come in, carrying a sling full of beer.

Doesn't mean they got to drink it right then or even the next day when they were off the line.

Drinking on duty is a big no-no in the military--a BIG one.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Just to play devils advocate here......

How many office or white-collar tech workers go to a restaurant for lunch and have a drink with their meal and its normal.......but if a line worker has a beer with his sammiches, that's somehow different and cause for crucifixion ?.......sheet...how many of us have had weekly Friday "meetings" on company time at the local watering hole--but hey, we are talking shop or planning the next week, or devising strategy, so its OK.

I know I've spent most of my tech career doing those things, sometimes with the president of the company.

I've worked in an office for the past 12-13 years with computer programmers. These are people who drink heavily and eat a lot. Some of them are fat, most of them out of shape. (See Office Space movie)

Since I've been in the work force, every company that I've ever worked at would look down upon that kind of thing. We joke about it from time to time at previous companies when I would go out to lunch, but no one ever had anything alcoholic to drink before coming in to work.

This is perhaps maybe something that was common in the 80s, I guess??? Or perhaps business partners maybe? But... I've been on several lunch meetings with vendors, consultants, or whatever... and alcohol was simply out of the question... I mean, for someone to drink a beer on their lunch break would be completely out of place.

I don't think people do that anymore? At least, I've never personally seen that...

------------------
Todd,

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
When is the end of the day in a war?

People on their lunch brake are allowed to have a beer are they not?

Steve

------------------

aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

People on their lunch brake are allowed to have a beer are they not?

Steve

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

NOT ACCEPTABLE! ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU WORK ON A LINE WITH HEAVY MACHINERY!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

NOT ACCEPTABLE! ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU WORK ON A LINE WITH HEAVY MACHINERY!

One beer does not even make you over the limit for driving a car, you even admitted that you had one beer an hour at work on the job.

Steve

------------------

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

One beer does not even make you over the limit for driving a car, you even admitted that you had one beer an hour at work on the job.

Steve

Uh... Steve, a lot has changed since the movie 9 to 5.

I know you're retired... but having a beer on your lunch break is considered by most people today about as bad as shooting heroine.

------------------
Todd,

newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

I've worked in an office for the past 12-13 years with computer programmers. These are people who drink heavily and eat a lot. Some of them are fat, most of them out of shape. (See Office Space movie)

Since I've been in the work force, every company that I've ever worked at would look down upon that kind of thing. We joke about it from time to time at previous companies when I would go out to lunch, but no one ever had anything alcoholic to drink before coming in to work.

This is perhaps maybe something that was common in the 80s, I guess??? Or perhaps business partners maybe? But... I've been on several lunch meetings with vendors, consultants, or whatever... and alcohol was simply out of the question... I mean, for someone to drink a beer on their lunch break would be completely out of place.

I don't think people do that anymore? At least, I've never personally seen that...

Really? Have you ever hung out with any sales people?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock