Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  85gt 3800 series 2 swap (damn mice!!!!) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
85gt 3800 series 2 swap (damn mice!!!!) by 85bluegtma
Started on: 09-17-2012 10:45 PM
Replies: 57
Last post by: 85bluegtma on 04-20-2013 06:23 PM
85bluegtma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post
ok a little about my car. I have had it since 1998 fixed a lot, re did body and painted it 92 dodge dakota blue, and iroc silver ground effects in 2002,changed interior to blue and silver then i retired it as a every day driver and parked it in a barn for about 8 years ......
Well Bad BAD Bad mice moved in and it became the biggest mouse condo around. The smell was enough to gag litterally. I took all the interior out power washed it, simple greened it, power washed it fabreezed it, vacuumed all the water out still smelled.... took door panels out found both doors clogged solid with all my insulation from the mice cleaned it out car still smelled.
So I took the dash out and vent box found nests in the vent box, the cowel, the drain tubes for the cowel. found out they were in the unibody above your head when sitting in car.... by this time i was already having nightmares about mice. left all the carpets and door panels outside for 4 weeks power washed them, steam cleaned them again finally smell was gone from them car still stunk powerwashed inside the unibody had whole inside of car in water still stunk...ARGHGGHGH
so started taking body panels off
found mice behind the rear lights, in the frame that holds the rubber eggcrate behind the bumper, in the rear heat discharge fan and duct work, ok so 2 month story short every body piece came off and i finally got rid of the smell after power washing frame and back sides of body panels must of powerwashed the car 20 times

I found rust on chasis so i thought about it and figured if i went through all of this I might as well put a bigger motor and redo it so this starts my 3800 swap and full restore I am taking my time and in no hurry i cant afford to register it anyway lol
I have already started on the chassis and have lots of pictures that i will post later
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2012 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
wow, and i thought i had it bad with the black widow infestation in my car

Welcome to the forum though! we'd love to see some pictures, cant get enough of them!
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2012 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85bluegtma:
I might as well put a bigger motor and redo it so this starts my 3800 swap and full restore I am taking my time and in no hurry i cant afford to register it anyway lol

Just a thought, if you cant afford to register it, how the heck are you going to put a 3800 in it? Just wondering. That was the very first thing that crossed my mind when I read that.
I'm not discouraging or bashing, just wondering. Id love the same swap, but I cant afford it. I was going to do the same but opted to buy a 88 GT instead.
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2012 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the welcome. ya i will have pics as soon as i can find a website for free to upload pics from my android phone. Anyone know of any?
Gadget I am doing this on a budget (as little as possible and still doing it right)

So far i am in it for lots of time and about 150 bucks for steel, por, oxy/acytilyn, and welding rods as i go i will be doing this car from the bottom up. os chasis will be done b4 engine, then engine then interior

I am getting a 98 park avenue donor car for 1000 bucks the motor has 23,000 miles
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post
my car after all of the body panels where taken off to get rid of the smell

my engine b4 taking it out which is now for sale if anyone is interested i have to find my paperwork but i think it has around 12000 miles

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

85bluegtma

151 posts
Member since Sep 2012
Ok gonna post a bunch of pics to catch up to latest project im all proud of

Once the smell was out i pulled the car in my garage wrapped a chain around the trunk took out battery, disconected ecm from under inside console and pushed harness into engine compartment

disconected the other part of the harness from here

took off the air cleaner and disconect the sensor off air cleaner and put it on top of engine took out air intake to get to ac lines under it and disconected them as well

unbolted relays from firewall and put on top of engine.
i lucked out when i had engine changed they cut the holes in frame to get to the front cradle mounts.

i jacked up the car from under neath with a 4x4 across the bottom put jack stands then had to heat the hell out of the rear cradle bolts from inside the chasis to get them; out unbolted the six bolts on the top of the coil overs put an old wooden 2 wheel 2 metal legs skid i found on the side of the road a couple years ago that i grabbed and said to myself someday this is gonna come in handy... well wow it worked good put it under the cradle disconecte the emergency brake cable made sure everything was disconected jacked car off jack stands and lowered slowely on wooden skid thingy. took the tires off. heated the hell out of the front cradle mounts thinking to myself this is dumb the disconected fuel lines are right there.... well im still here typing so thats good. but seriously without heat i would of never ever gotten that out

disconected top dogbone took of front hose by radiator and sucked out fluid with shop vac disconect hoses off engine on water pump did a final check that nothing was still conected.
disconected brake lines from calipers
disconect clutch slave cylender and let it hang disconected shift linkages

put engine hoist in back of car hooked it up to chain that i had wrapped around trunk (remember i dont have the body on) and slowely had a friend help and slowly went up till the whole engine was clear slid engine out from the passenger side

ill post more later
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

85bluegtma

151 posts
Member since Sep 2012

now that the engine was out i set back of car on jack stands jacked up the front of car and put front tires onto wheel ramps releveled car so its at a comfortable hight to be working on it sitting on a bucket or 6x6 depending on what im working on. i took the front trunk out jack holder took the front and rear galvanized pieces off bumpers took the metal frames off needle gunned the whole frame went through a couple places so good glad i found it now.
I took the radiator and ac condensor out and the brackets for it

here is the worst part of the frame so since im not a welder or a mechanic here is where i start already done with most of it by now my neighbors must love me air needle gun all day, impact guns dunn dunnn dunnn dunnn daatdat datt dat cut off wheels whhhheeee whhhheeeee , grinders etc etc ohh and dont forget the thing i mentioned that im proud of the inside trunk hand made with a ball peen hammer lol took me 3 days pounding on it more on that later i still gotta catch up to now.

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

85bluegtma

151 posts
Member since Sep 2012
more of the same place the pasenger rear corner is by far the worst place on car
this is inside trunk b4 i start anything

Do You guys want more?
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2012 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post
Bummer on the rust, that really sucks. If you feel like reading and maybe a lil inspiration for the swap check my sig, it's almost complete.

------------------
86 Fiero SS project soon to tear up the street, She also aswers to "Lola". My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels and more! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2012 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

Bummer on the rust, that really sucks. If you feel like reading and maybe a lil inspiration for the swap check my sig, it's almost complete.

i have been reading yours i cant wait to see what you do with the sub

The rust sucks but it wont have a spec when im done

what do you guys think about a name for mine i have been toying with parfieranue , fieranu, anuefiero, etc park avenue and fiero lol
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2012 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post

i have been reading yours i cant wait to see what you do with the sub

The rust sucks but it wont have a spec when im done

what do you guys think about a name for mine i have been toying with parfieranue , fieranu, anuefiero, etc park avenue and fiero lol

Thanks! I'm starting the box frame today, as for names I like "Fark" haha jk hmm was it the park avenues that had the special tacked on? Fiero Special, or just lie and say you used a Pontiac engine and get Fiero GTP or GTX those are cool I think.

------------------
86 Fiero SS project soon to tear up the street, She also aswers to "Lola". My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels and more! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

PFF
System Bot
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2012 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post
Ok so ive been working on the passenger rear side for a couple weeks and here is some pictures. Remember i am no welder or brazer but ill be an expert by the time im done.
well first in the wheel well the rear side of the top frame rail was rotted from the trunk where the exhaust fan is to the rear side of the battery box. So i drilled all the spot welds out in trunk and on top by the strut tower housing

after that i made a pattern out of cardboard traced it out cut it out with a torch welded it in with oxy acy and rod

next i cut the part that holds the trunk up

and welded a piece in i used a ball peen hammer on a log to put the fold point that doubles as a drain hole i think

next now that the rear part of the top frame was there to hold it i welded in a plate after cutting out the rotted part

now for the part that took me the last 2 weeks
first i made a duct tape template in the trunk

layed it out flat cut the curves and cut my piece of metal if i had to do it again i would cut the curve out do it seperatley then do the flat part and weld them together but i started with the whole piece

so then i grabbed a log a ball peen and a chair and pounded starting at the edges and working in making the curve omg it takes about 5000 hits one day banging my neighbors must love me to get this

then another 2 days banging to get this

then 2 more days banging heating put it in check it take it out put it in take it out put it in take it out uhhm.... did i say that ok but seriously put it in and take it out bang on it a little put it in you get the idea.... to get this

then another day taping not banging to get this

this is the first time i ever brazed weeee i like it

b4 i paint ill do a quick skim coat of bondo over this to smooth it out then just a couple little patches on the back and ill be on to a different section
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2012 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
Cool stuff man, I'll keep an eye on your thread! Gotta love the learning process eh?
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2012 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

Cool stuff man, I'll keep an eye on your thread! Gotta love the learning process eh?

ya i love it when at the end of something i know something that i didnt b4 i learned i dont wanna be a blacksmith lol heh but seriously ya i like fire so torches and sparks are right up my alley
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post
ok so the things i did didnt look good enough so i ground and ground re welded /brazed and i took everything out of trunk compartment ill have pictures later when i finish the rest of that back corner hopefully this weekend.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2012 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post
Looking good!

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project soon to tear up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels and more! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post
well most of that rail is fixed already but i found this to help anyone else looking that has this problem. this thread would make it a lot more easy
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000012.html
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

85bluegtma

151 posts
Member since Sep 2012
rust hole under the body mount

i made a plate using same technique a log and a ball peen hammer to shape it till it fit over what was rusted

welded in

rust in frame rail

made a piece

i cut out rust and plated with a 1/4 overlap welded

hole in battery area of wheel well

used existing metal to shape my piece made two pieces had to use a hammer still

i cut out the rust exept where the hole is to mount the wheel well so later i can just drill down for my hole to match
and welded the metal in u can also see from this pic most everything is out of engine compartment and cut another thing of rust out of wheel well and gonna weld it after this post

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post
ok here is this side done welding in metal i still have to sandblast fill and paint but gonna goto back and other side so i can paint the whole rear at the same time i dont want to have to clean the sprayer a million times
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2012 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

85bluegtma

151 posts
Member since Sep 2012
things in the engine bay hoses vacuum etc

things out

the drivers side trunk and frame rail

no rust here but wait till next pic after this one

so the drilling of spot welds begins
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2012 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post
didnt do much yet i drilled out the trunk and wheel well and the trunk support

here is the trunk piece on the ground im gonna use the curve in it to make this side

i have to do the inside of the strut tower on the frame rail is gone too

wow and the paint looked good on the outside
someone posted a thread about where will fieros be in 20 yrs well if they dont take there body panels off and check they will be piles of rust
i am even going so far as to grind off glue and factory bondo cause there is rust under it....
fun stuff
PFF
System Bot
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post
ok so to do the driver side i dont feel good about doing it with the gas tank fill there and i have to take out gas tank to paint anyway so
to tank out the tank i removed ac hoses/ brake lines/ clutch slave and hydraulic line now taking the gas tank out and filler tube.
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2012 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

85bluegtma

151 posts
Member since Sep 2012
ok the bolts on the gas tank straps are totally rusted i took filler tube off i have to wait till tomorrow to grind i went back in the garage holy crap stail gas smell
note to self dont take filler tube off till gas tank can come out or drain.

my girl friend is gonna have a fit tommorow.... oh well i taped the holes up tommorow when i get home ill have to grind the nuts off the tank straps.

[This message has been edited by 85bluegtma (edited 10-10-2012).]

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2012 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post
ok so got the tank out .... for all those of you doing this drain the tank first i spilled gas everywhere.

luckily my gas tank and behind it is not too rusty

i also did some more grinding and filling on the side that i have been doing and tapping out some of the hammer marks on the passenger fender ill have pics tonight

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2012 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post
that side after i ground some more i still have a couple places i gotta go over my welds but getting there.

I made the trunk floor support that goes on the other side and made the flat bent part of the trunk fender well ill have pictures a little later
heh the trunk floor part and the fender is already a hell of a lot easier doing the second one.
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post
here is the piece i made to hold up the trunk i have a little left to grind on it b4 i weld it in
just trying to keep my neighbors from hating me

CheshireGrin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2012 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CheshireGrinSend a Private Message to CheshireGrinDirect Link to This Post
That is some dedication right there. I applaud you for not simply striping the car and junking it. Keep up the good work and a well documented rebuild.
Best of luck
Ryan
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2012 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CheshireGrin:

That is some dedication right there. I applaud you for not simply striping the car and junking it. Keep up the good work and a well documented rebuild.
Best of luck
Ryan

dedication.... more like a great idea why to goto the garage and get out of the house.

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post
ok for a little change of pace i started working on my sail windows

i tried to get the plastic off in one piece but this happened.....

got the plastic off in a lot of pieces but was able to save the gt part to go by when i make my new one.

anyone know what kind of acrylic is the best to use to replace the plastic? something that wont crack like the originals and that will hold shape once heated up and clamped in.
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

85bluegtma

151 posts
Member since Sep 2012
the trunk support

marked out the bad parts

cut them out

drilled the spot welds so i can get the piece behind that is rotted

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

85bluegtma

151 posts
Member since Sep 2012
cut out the piece for behind the upper frame rail by the strut tower and inside trunk

PFF
System Bot
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

anyone know what kind of acrylic is the best to use to replace the plastic? something that wont crack like the originals and that will hold shape once heated up and clamped in.

anyone?
jaybeezi

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziDirect Link to This Post
You can't say Dakota Blue w/ Iroc Silver gfx & then not show us pics..

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaybeezi:

You can't say Dakota Blue w/ Iroc Silver gfx & then not show us pics..

i was saving that for the end but u can see the blue trunk in the first pic

want more?
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post
I want more!

------------------
86 Fiero GTX project soon to tear up the street, My build thread! 3800sc, interior, wheels and more! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

jaybeezi

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziDirect Link to This Post

i was saving that for the end but u can see the blue trunk in the first pic

want more?

I have a red Dakota R/T, but the blue is one of my favorites. Judging by the trunk shot, it probably looks pretty good on the Fiero.

-----------
Jaybeezi's 3800SC Swap

[This message has been edited by jaybeezi (edited 10-29-2012).]

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaybeezi:

I have a red Dakota R/T, but the blue is one of my favorites. Judging by the trunk shot, it probably looks pretty good on the Fiero.

-----------
Jaybeezi's 3800SC Swap

well i painted it b4 i ever knew any fiero's were blue.... but personally i think the dakota blue looks better

85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

85bluegtma

151 posts
Member since Sep 2012

Originally posted by IanT720:

I want more!

FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
Heroic effort on the reconstruction!

well i painted it b4 i ever knew any fiero's were blue.... but personally i think the dakota blue looks better

87's was the only year for blue (and 88 the only year for yellow). That's a much nicer blue though!
85bluegtma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85bluegtmaSend a Private Message to 85bluegtmaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT42:

That's a much nicer blue though!

wait till u see the interior
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay