Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Best Theft Deterrents - What do you think? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Best Theft Deterrents - What do you think? by Boostdreamer
Started on: 06-30-2012 07:16 PM
Replies: 81
Last post by: Snapperhead on 07-19-2012 08:14 AM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
What are some ways to make our cars harder to steal? Any insurance guys with a top ten tips list? Any LEO's or former bad guys who know what works and what doesn't?

I was thinking a hidden fuel shut off switch would be a good idea.

Thoughts?

------------------
Jonathan
23K mile '85 notchie w/ 88 cradle, '87 2.8/Getrag, Air, PW, PDL, PM - Still under construction
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html
I'm not a mechanic but I play one in my garage - me
Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely - Lord Acton
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not - Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants - Thomas Jefferson

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Easy... Most jeep guys put a sticker on the window of a hand holding a 6 shooter aming right at ya saying nothing in this jeep it worth your life.... seems to work...
Or you could do what my dads only boss did with his corvette and keep a stick of dynomite under the seat..
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
You could just remove the coil wire from the distributor. The car will crank, but not start. Of course, someone who would really want your Fiero could just push it to a waiting tow vehicle. But who in their right mind would want to steal a 25 year old Fiero?
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Would "The Club" work or is it a joke these days. Yes, I'm showing my age.

Jonathan
Stickerguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StickerguySend a Private Message to StickerguyDirect Link to This Post
On my 1964 VW Beetle Convertible I use 2 methods since it is too easy to steal. I have a removable steering wheel (cool device made by Grant)... and I use a battery disconnect switch with a removable key ( can be found at O'Reilly's Auto Parts under $20 ). The car is worth around $23k.
No Wheel, No Steal..... without a Tow Truck that is ! I only remove the wheel when it is sitting for an extended amount of time. I always remove the Battery Key. To keep all the electronics active, I jump the switch with a in-line fuse holder. If an attempt to start the car, without the battery key in place, it will blow the fuse. Everything is now dead.

My Fiero isn't on the road yet, but I will be installing a Battery Disconnect switch in the passenger side firewall behind the seat, so the battery cables won't be very long. The key sticks out about an inch in "on" position, without the key in the switch it is just a hole and not noticeable.ioo

In another car I had, I connected a switch to the neutral safety switch to make the car "think" that it was in gear and it would not crank. I would close the switch to start the car and the open the switch after the car started. This would make it "passive" (in a way), because it would automatically put the car into "in gear" mode during the next start. No one could start it with the key without knowing about the switch. This would confuse a thief, because all the bells and whistles would work but no one is home !
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
In most cases these days the true car thief professional shows up with a flatbed truck, quickly disables your alarm and tows it away. Thats why I believe that the hidden GPS tracker (like Onstar or Lojack) is the answer for tracking it down. There are some dirtbag crackheads that still steal cars by trying to drive them away and you can try methods that will slow them down but given a dark time slot from 2-4AM they will still succeed. The tracking device that I am interested in syncs to the GPS satelites and has a battery backup. With tracking software you locate the coordinates of the car and pass it on to the police or just show up at the bastards house with a baseball bat. A friend of mine had his 88 stolen from him right out of the garage underneath his apartment. He had an alarm system but the car was never recovered.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Twinn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TwinnSend a Private Message to TwinnDirect Link to This Post
The club is a waste of time, a car theif just cuts the steering wheel then removes the club.

To stop crackheads - inginition switch or battery switch

To stop professionals - You can't sorry to be a downer but lo-jack will recover your vehicle
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
I put a switch on the main power lead to the fuel pump. I hid the switch on the passenger side where it is easily reachable for the driver. (I am not worried about someone here stealing my car, or the 1 in a 1,000,000,000,000,000 chance that a car thief in my area will read this post). The car will crank, and give the impression that something is wrong trying to start it. It will NOT stop everyone, but those that do try to drive the car away, it will most likely stop, as trying to back track the power lead to the fuel pump UNDER the car, is gonna be tough to do, especially when they have no clue that that is what the problem is.

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
Get a trunk monkey...Just google it or youtube it...
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
This one is my favorite theft deterrent..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I put a switch on the main power lead to the fuel pump. I hid the switch on the passenger side where it is easily reachable for the driver. (I am not worried about someone here stealing my car, or the 1 in a 1,000,000,000,000,000 chance that a car thief in my area will read this post). The car will crank, and give the impression that something is wrong trying to start it. It will NOT stop everyone, but those that do try to drive the car away, it will most likely stop, as trying to back track the power lead to the fuel pump UNDER the car, is gonna be tough to do, especially when they have no clue that that is what the problem is.

Originally posted by Stickerguy:

In another car I had, I connected a switch to the neutral safety switch to make the car "think" that it was in gear and it would not crank. I would close the switch to start the car and the open the switch after the car started. This would make it "passive" (in a way), because it would automatically put the car into "in gear" mode during the next start. No one could start it with the key without knowing about the switch. This would confuse a thief, because all the bells and whistles would work but no one is home !

I prefer kill switches that truly make the car look like its having engine troubles. A neutral safety switch is easy to setup but also extremely obvious. If the car doesn't even attempt to crank, than a thief is likely to begin looking for unplugged connections and safety switches. It might not take them long to find yours at that point.

As for a fuel pump kill switch, its a bit better but there's a still an audible indication of what's going on when the fuel pump doesn't run. It's a little harder to notice, but it still might draw attention to the idea that their is a kill switch in the car somewhere.

Personally, If I was to add a kill switch it would be for something truly invisible (say power for the injector wires). The fuel pump still runs, the car still cranks, and it might even sputter at first if you're lucky You can hope that a thief not only doesn't think of looking for a switch but gets discouraged by the idea that you have a POS car.

[This message has been edited by GraterFang (edited 06-30-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Does the Grant No Wheel No Steal really work?
manual transmission. Most thieves don't know how to shift.
go with several layers. Most thefts happen quickly, the longer it takes, the more worried the thief gets
http://www.desertshieldpers...Vehicle-Theft/Detail
vin engraved in windows. Lets the thief know you're trying to protect it
garage with alarm
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Blown engine would be a real good way. They'd have to tow it to steal it... Seriously though that's not even fool proof. My old brother inlaw (sadly he and my sister divorced although they have remained really good freinds to the point that they visit each others family on holidays and buy gifts for each others non common children) had a 60 something Mustang when they first met. He blew a headgasket on it and it would no longer run. It was parked out in front of my parents house in a spot that was legal to park, with current registration, while he was saving to get it fixed. One morning it was gone, and a call to the police found it was not towed by them...

While this really did happen, that theft deterrent suggestion was made purely in jest.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 06-30-2012).]

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiDirect Link to This Post
Installed an RFID keyless entry / push button start system from http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK104B.html The system will not allow the engine to start without a valid access key card. Also has a remote start feature. Been running the system since March and I love it.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 07-01-2012).]

fiamma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiammaSend a Private Message to fiammaDirect Link to This Post
I do the coil wire disconnect when I will be gone for awhile.
Have used the club for 25 yrs and car never stolen.
Obviously these only deter the casual thief. However I did have a prior van stolen (no club) &
have had current van for 7 yrs (with a club) and it hasn't been stolen.
Crossing my fingers that I didn't just jinx myself.
Pappy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PappySend a Private Message to PappyDirect Link to This Post
2 stage active/aggressive - self contained so totally autonomous from the car battery

1st stage - Two way radio - Audio and Video. Once armed it monitors for movement, electrical and seat pressure. Alarm is sent to your smartphone or other handheld device. You can see and talk to your criminal(s)
2nd stage - Only activated from the handheld device - Pepper sprays from various locations and paint bombs to splatter crooks and tow vehicle

Yes range would be short but would be great for hotel room to parking lot

Stage 3 - Automatic restraints and Tasers - Muahahha

[This message has been edited by Pappy (edited 07-01-2012).]

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiDirect Link to This Post
GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pappy:

2 stage active/aggressive - self contained so totally autonomous from the car battery

1st stage - Two way radio - Audio and Video. Once armed it monitors for movement, electrical and seat pressure. Alarm is sent to your smartphone or other handheld device. You can see and talk to your criminal(s)
2nd stage - Only activated from the handheld device - Pepper sprays from various locations and paint bombs to splatter crooks and tow vehicle

Yes range would be short but would be great for hotel room to parking lot

Stage 3 - Automatic restraints and Tasers - Muahahha

Hmmm
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Ravelco makes a really nice kit. You have a plug that attaches to your keychain and the receptacle is installed in the car. There are a handful of wires that are matched to each pin on the connector. You basically wire in multiple items to be shut down when the plug is removed. You can wire in the fuel pump, starter, and other items to make the car secure.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rav..._Accessories&vxp=mtr
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Ravelco makes a really nice kit. You have a plug that attaches to your keychain and the receptacle is installed in the car. There are a handful of wires that are matched to each pin on the connector. You basically wire in multiple items to be shut down when the plug is removed. You can wire in the fuel pump, starter, and other items to make the car secure.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rav..._Accessories&vxp=mtr

My buddy has something like this in his moms exploder... we take it out every time he gets drunk so he dosent do something stupid.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Twinn:

The club is a waste of time, a car theif just cuts the steering wheel then removes the club.

To stop crackheads - inginition switch or battery switch

To stop professionals - You can't sorry to be a downer but lo-jack will recover your vehicle

Re: "The Club" - just how many car thiefs do you know carry around a hacksaw?

Yes while it is true the steering wheel is easy to cut through, the fact is most of the non-pro thieves do not carry a hacksaw as it is too hard to carry around with you vs a screwdriver - this is a fact.

Sure you could also put in a starter cut relay/etc. BUT IMHO I would rather install a 'Club' like device - joyriding punk sees the club, moves onto the next car as he only has a screwdriver and it's too much work to steal your car. I would rather them do this than to break into the car, bust up the steering column and try to start to car only to find out there is some other disabled feature - but the damage has already been done - sure they didn't get the car, but I would rather have them just move onto an easier target in the first place.
PFF
System Bot
Stickerguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StickerguySend a Private Message to StickerguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Does the Grant No Wheel No Steal really work?
manual transmission. Most thieves don't know how to shift.
go with several layers. Most thefts happen quickly, the longer it takes, the more worried the thief gets
http://www.desertshieldpers...Vehicle-Theft/Detail
vin engraved in windows. Lets the thief know you're trying to protect it
garage with alarm

The Grant steering wheel remover just makes the thief go to the next car. Most aren't prepared to steal a car without a steering wheel, they will just move on.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Pull the fuel pump fuse.
As with the other fuel kill devices, the engine will sputter a bit, then won't start.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
You boys got some good ideas which made me think of designing a new "mouse-trap".
Anyone ever been in an industrial boiler room where ear plugs are the norm? I have and I've heard those alarms sound off when a boiler malfunction occurs. It can scare you nearly to death!!. 103 decibels @ 10 feet.

http://www.signalguys.com/p/874-N5.html

They come in DC version also!
Imagine sticking one of these under the drivers seat and arming it via a seat sensor to a latching relay during a theft attempt.(wont disengage until the battery is dead).
For more thrill, add in a video cam.

Just how loud is 103 db? A jack hammer @ (50) ft is 93 db. That should do the trick inside of a Fiero.. / confined space!!!

Here's a chart.

http://www.gcaudio.com/reso...howtos/loudness.html

Spoon
------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 07-01-2012).]

crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
When a tow truck or flat bed backs up to your vehicle, they don't enter the car, just hook and go...
But then, it is usually high demand, valuable cars that get stolen.
My Username Is

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My Username IsSend a Private Message to My Username IsDirect Link to This Post
I'm afraid the only thing I can contribute to this is a more inclusive Trunk Monkey video.

------------------

[This message has been edited by My Username Is (edited 07-01-2012).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 07-01-2012).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

You could just remove the coil wire from the distributor. The car will crank, but not start. Of course, someone who would really want your Fiero could just push it to a waiting tow vehicle. But who in their right mind would want to steal a 25 year old Fiero?

Yes now rig the coil up to a spark plug under the drivers seat.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
I just make my car look as shitty as possible...

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.54@132.7

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
A dead battery tends to work.
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
Well......Let me tell yall a story. We had a 17 yr old feed our dogs while we were out of town for a week. We knew him since he was a baby. Anyways, he decided to drink our liquor, trash our house and do his girlfriend in every room of the house. On top of that he tried to drive all four of our cars. He drove 2 of them because they were simply a key turn away. BUT the Fiero didn't start cause he didn't flip the switch for the fuel pump on.

Unfortunately, he drove my Navigator and my G35 Coupe.

I WAS PISSED!!!!! Haven't heard or seen him since.

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I used to use a clutch/brake lock... worked great..
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
What's worse than a pit bull with aids and rabies?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

In most cases these days the true car thief professional shows up with a flatbed truck, quickly disables your alarm and tows it away. Thats why I believe that the hidden GPS tracker (like Onstar or Lojack) is the answer for tracking it down. There are some dirtbag crackheads that still steal cars by trying to drive them away and you can try methods that will slow them down but given a dark time slot from 2-4AM they will still succeed. The tracking device that I am interested in syncs to the GPS satelites and has a battery backup. With tracking software you locate the coordinates of the car and pass it on to the police or just show up at the bastards house with a baseball bat. A friend of mine had his 88 stolen from him right out of the garage underneath his apartment. He had an alarm system but the car was never recovered.

How much is a GPS tracker like that? Any links?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

How much is a GPS tracker like that? Any links?

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/new...55&_dmpt=GPS_Devices

The tracker is the solution for locating a stolen car as the experienced professional car thief just comes and tows the car away alarm, kill switch and all.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-03-2012 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
Anyone who wants to steal your whole car is probably going to do so anyway. For a Fiero it'll most likely be someone who knows who you are and where you live, as they're not really high demand cars, and have a generally bad reputation (fire myth, etc…).

Lower class thieves are going to go for easy targets. Keeping the doors locked, and not flouting a subwoofer between the seats to show off your stereo are good things to do. Keep the car interior clean and empty of valuables. If something is visible and worth anything, a passing thief is more likely to go for it.

At least it's not a motorcycle. Thieves just drive by, pick them up and lay them in the back of a truck, and drive off.

LoJack helps a little, but pro thieves are going to get away with your car regardless. They have plenty of tactics to get around the GPS systems, and it's easy enough to strip a car down, and dump the GPS in the river, with a team of thieves going at it. Of course, pros also aren't going after Fieros.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

Installed an RFID keyless entry / push button start system from http://www.advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK104B.html The system will not allow the engine to start without a valid access key card. Also has a remote start feature. Been running the system since March and I love it.

I've been looking for one of these for years.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/new...55&_dmpt=GPS_Devices

The tracker is the solution for locating a stolen car as the experienced professional car thief just comes and tows the car away alarm, kill switch and all.

As near as I can tell that is about as cheap as you can get. I researched a bit on sim cards for it and found Telestial cards for $19. That is with $10 worth of time and lasts for six months or when you use up the time. An online refill for $10 will get you another six months. I think that is what I want. The only thing lacking is the remote disable that I could use to stop the car on command.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Alarms are a waste of money unless your home and its by your window. Use a kill switch. I park in well lit areas, and preferably close and very visible to people. Some simple things to help deter, is to turn the wheels all the way one way. Its hard to tow or load a car like that. If you have more than one car, block the good one in with the other. I have motion detectors pointed at cars in my driveway that sound an alarm in the house if anyone gets near. Of course those are only good if your home to hear it. I have one friend who has a tire boot he bought online. It locks over the center of the wheel and prevents it from rolling. You cant drive or tow it. At home, my final defense is parking at the front door under flood lites and a shotgun leaning against the wall.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
Not the alarms above. They call your smart phone and show you on a map where your car is.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock