Started on: 04-12-2012 05:59 PM
Replies: 45
Last post by: Gokart on 06-29-2012 04:28 AM
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Last Fall I finished my one piece taillight panel that JPH87 is making https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...4/HTML/054051-4.html
I've been waiting for nicer weather to install it and now that warmer days are upon us I took it out of my shed and now I'm looking at it asking myself if it's "too busy".

Back-up lights are required in Massachusetts (maybe every state?) but I'm thinking now I should've left them out and incorporated some 88 Corvette back up lights in the rear bumper.

I was concerned about filling every spot hence the stainless steel letters & emblem. The old real estate saying is "less is more". I usually don't concern myself with what others think of my mods and projects but this piece really defines the look from the back and I'd like your honest opinions please

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 04-12-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelDirect Link to This Post
Honestly I really like that set up BUT ... I would only put the logo centered no writing ... let them guess what car you have ... also would look less cluttered ...

IMHO take care
Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 04-12-2012).]

mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Direct Link to This Post
It looks great. I agree with Danyel though, the writing and logo in the center looks off. I would just do a pontiac arrowhead centered, or it would cool to have "Fiero" in fiero font back lit like Pontiac is on the stock tail lights. Great job.

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8
88 Yellow GT

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Thank-you! Awesome advice so far. I was thinking how cool it would look if I could mold in a Fiero GT 3rd brake light mask into the center and fix the Pontiac lights so it would light it up!

Probably wouldn't be that hard to do...hmm!

edit: I'm still looking at the back-up lights and thinking their too bulky.

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 04-12-2012).]

Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I have that Fiero GT third brake light mask and spray bombed it black. Its nice when it only shows up when you apply the brakes.

I think reverse lights in the fascia would look good. You could keep the C4 lights as they are, remove those reverse lights, have the reverse lights in the fascia, and have no logos on the panel itself except for that third brake light (spray bombed black )
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Honestly I really like that set up BUT ... I would only put the logo centered no writing ... let them guess what car you have ... also would look less cluttered ...

IMHO take care
Danyel

YES!!!! That looks great!
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

I have that Fiero GT third brake light mask and spray bombed it black. Its nice when it only shows up when you apply the brakes.

I think reverse lights in the fascia would look good. You could keep the C4 lights as they are, remove those reverse lights, have the reverse lights in the fascia, and have no logos on the panel itself except for that third brake light (spray bombed black )

This is what I'm thinking. It'll be allot of nothing between the 2nd C4 light and the start of the 3rd brake light mask but.....less is more?!?

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I don't necessarily think less is more but sometimes less can make more of a statement. Those lights on a fastback will look really good with the car debadged. That third brake light sprayed black keeps 'em guessing 'till you apply the brakes.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

I don't necessarily think less is more but sometimes less can make more of a statement. Those lights on a fastback will look really good with the car debadged. That third brake light sprayed bc k keeps 'em guessing 'till you apply the brakes.

I was thinking that if I was to incorporate a third brake light mask into this panel I would hook up the existing Pontiac lights so it would be on full time.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Honest opinion? Way too busy. Less is definitely much more to me. I think the worst are the bright silver backup lights. When you look at it that's where your eyes fix to. But they are not the main thing back there. If you can't remove them maybe you can smoke them? Pegasus alone is much better too. Would look great recessed. Those panels need something in the middle because otherwise they look too empty without the Pontiac logo.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Less IS more. IMO, move the backup lights down and just put the Pegasus badge in the center.

------------------

Recent major upgrade at Whodeanie Customs with many cool TLG Automotive parts

www.yellowfiero.com Pictures Modifications

PFF
System Bot
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post
I think your lights look great. I think it could go either way with the reverse lights. I do think the emblem placement is a little busy though. Here is a picture of how I've done mine:

I could have gone either way on the "PONTIAC" logo but i have it there because the previous owner had a Ferrari horse with the Ferrari badge underneath, so the Pontiac covers the screw holes. My backups are in the bumper in place of the reflectors.

Also I just noticed the center body part of your Pegasus is flipped compared to a factory logo.

[This message has been edited by zmcdonal (edited 04-12-2012).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-12-2012 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Justin makes some great stuff.

Less is more. And it looks wonderful.

Tony
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
less is more, the first one the lettering with the logo is too much. With just the lights the way they are there is already enough visual interest going on.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
My opinion is that it would look better with backup lamps in rear fascia, and emblem only - centered.

Just curious if anyone has tried making a black carbon fiber panel with those lights ?
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2012 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Everything everyone else had said...

X2
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the honest opinions. I'll be making some definite changes before I attach.
I have another thought...because I'll have to fill & repaint after removing the back ups I remember seeing a panel with some sort of flat black textured paint that looked really nice versus just using color & clear.

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 04-13-2012).]

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
It looks great- but I would also lose the Fiero GT wording both on the tail light and the third brake light. It is just too "Boy Racer" to me. Otherwise, that is a beautiful setup, and with the Pegasus logo it looks classy.

Nice job!
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
I like it. Very nice. and I usually don't like that style but that looks good.

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2012 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
I did not realize that you had already mounted you back ups. A lot of rework.

I thought, why not try some VHT night shade to darken the back ups? I would give that a shot first.

(Then post pics.)

Tony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

IMHO take care
Danyel

Exactly my thoughts as well. Get rod of the lettering.

PFF
System Bot
Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinDirect Link to This Post
I like Danyel's revision a bit more, but still think the back up lights are a bit much. If there was a way to make them more subtle and not stand out so much...it breaks up the beauty of the rear panel completely. Maybe place your back up lights in the rear bumper instead like one of the others did.

Just my .02 cents worth, though...
freedom0226

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedom0226Send a Private Message to freedom0226Direct Link to This Post
regardless they look hot. NOW LETS GET A PIC WITH THEM ON THE CAR.............
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
I like them, although agree that putting the reverse lamps elsewhere would have made them look even better. Anyway you can tint/smoke the lenses for the reverse lamps so they blend in more with the black?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fformula88:

... Anyway you can tint/smoke the lenses for the reverse lamps so they blend in more with the black?

Good idea
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2012 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:
I thought, why not try some VHT night shade to darken the back ups? I would give that a shot first.
(Then post pics.)
Tony

Yes, awesome idea until I get these 88 Corvette lights. I'm going to remove the letters as well.

Originally posted by freedom0226:
regardless they look hot. NOW LETS GET A PIC WITH THEM ON THE CAR.............

Thanks but I'm not going to install them now just yet. I asked for constructive criticism and I got it Thanks to all that replied. We all have our own tastes and different ways we like our cars to look and most mods I wouldn't even bother asking for opinions but I knew deep down this set-up didn't look quite right.

zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart:

Yes, awesome idea until I get these 88 Corvette lights. I'm going to remove the letters as well.

I don't know if you are dead set on the Corvette lights you have, but it may be way easier to lose the reflectors in the bumper and put some driving lights in there. There are a few threads on here with more info on it if you are interested. Either way, good luck with your project.
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

(Then post pics.)

Tony

My suggestion as well
FieroUte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroUteSend a Private Message to FieroUteDirect Link to This Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but does anyone have a write up on how to relocate the reverse lights to the bumper? I love that look!

Tyler
beachbomb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for beachbombSend a Private Message to beachbombDirect Link to This Post

They look great like this, except tint the backups like previously stated.
Nice work!
Jim
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:
I don't know if you are dead set on the Corvette lights you have, but it may be way easier to lose the reflectors in the bumper and put some driving lights in there. There are a few threads on here with more info on it if you are interested. Either way, good luck with your project.

This is a great idea. Anyone know though if the reflectors in the rear facia are standard safety equipment and would be an issue at a safety inspection?

Originally posted by FieroUte:
Not trying to hijack this thread, but does anyone have a write up on how to relocate the reverse lights to the bumper? I love that look!
Tyler

Great question. I'd like to see some myself.

PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Anyone know though if the reflectors in the rear facia are standard safety equipment and would be an issue at a safety inspection?

The law states that all cars must have reflectors on the rear of the car. Some cars have the reflectors built into the taillight housings therefore elliminating the need for a seperate reflector like the Fiero has.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroUte:

Tyler

Search: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030819-2-035690.html
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post
Here's another thread about them
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031229-2-041032.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090907-2-088569.html

[This message has been edited by zmcdonal (edited 04-14-2012).]

DPoppelll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllDirect Link to This Post

Last Fall I finished my one piece taillight panel that JPH87 is making https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...4/HTML/054051-4.html
I've been waiting for nicer weather to install it and now that warmer days are upon us I took it out of my shed and now I'm looking at it asking myself if it's "too busy".

Back-up lights are required in Massachusetts (maybe every state?) but I'm thinking now I should've left them out and incorporated some 88 Corvette back up lights in the rear bumper.

I was concerned about filling every spot hence the stainless steel letters & emblem. The old real estate saying is "less is more". I usually don't concern myself with what others think of my mods and projects but this piece really defines the look from the back and I'd like your honest opinions please

Dude that's awesome. I think it would look better and less busy on a darker car though so if you have that I'd say perfect.

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
All done! I decided not to start another project by cutting my bumper to fit the tail lights so I replaced the ones I had before with them. I attached a bigger pegasus emblem and got rid of the lettering. Thanks for all the opinions and advice I'm loving it now and wouldn't change a thing.

------------------

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-20-2012 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post
nice, I think if I do something like that to mine, I'll use 70-71 camaro round tail lights.. with the back up lights where you have them.. it looks great..
I just think the vette tail lights look out of place(a little to big)
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
I love it

------------------

"Maybe we should call you Meat Head...!"

Tony Kania

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-21-2012 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Very slick. JPH87 is a friend here locally, and I believe that you are the first to finish their taillights. Looks fantastic. Clean, and tasteful.

He used my GT as a fitment testbed.

Tony
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2012 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the kudos I'm glad I took the time to change it a bit and make it look even better. It'll be nice to see what others have done with theirs as they get completed. It was a fun project and I hope it was worth Justin's time making these.
Marc
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock