Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  does anyone have a wire pin out for a 1990 Buick Riviera digital gauge cluster?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

does anyone have a wire pin out for a 1990 Buick Riviera digital gauge cluster? by fiero al
Started on: 03-24-2012 11:06 PM
Replies: 27
Last post by: mattwa on 04-09-2012 08:44 PM
fiero al

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alDirect Link to This Post
I was looking to see if anyone had a wire pin out for a 1990 Buick Riviera digital gauge cluster. I bought this gauge cluster at pull-a part to be put in my fiero after I do my 3800sc swap.

Here is a pic of the cluster

also, if anyone knows anything else I may need to know when putting this thing into the car, please let me now. Remember, this is going to be connected to a 3800sc, not a 2.8 so I don't know if their is anything different between the wiring for that but just try to make sure of this with the info given.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fiero al

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alDirect Link to This Post
I geuss I don't need it after all. found out that these gauges wont work with a OBD2 system and that they need a BCM to work. Feel free to still post any diagrams of the wiring for if someone else may need them for reference.
slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickDirect Link to This Post
inputs are inputs, why wouldn't it work with an OBDII system? Stock gauges do.

And it being a '90, the BCM can't be doing too much with those gauges. Probably for idiot lites like the door ajar one.

More curious than anything. Although that cluster is huge, it would look pretty sweet.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Because with the fiero gauge cluster, it has three big connectors for all the wires. This has one small connector with about 8-10 wires, thats it
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
A really smart person, (not me) could still figure it out and make it work.

It probably would require a programmable microprocessor but it's not impossible. I know a couple of folks on the forum smart enough to do it (FieroLuke for one), but I doubt you could pay them enough to want to do it, unless they wanted one for themselves.
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
Pull the diagrams for the bcm. FInd out what signals its running. One guy on here has a working bcm in his fiero from a newer camaro. If you can get one of those working I think you can get the correct inputs for the bcm to work.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The 1987 T-Type was even better as it had a TOUCH SCREEN! I imagine it was a CRT...it had to be, but how cool is that?

That in a Fiero would be amazing.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 03-25-2012).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
An easier way to get "digital" gauges in a Fiero with an OBD2 computer in this day in age is to get a tablet, buy the android app "torque", and a OBD2 Bluetooth interface. It'll display nearly anything you could want for a gauge, and much more information. Data logging, check and clear codes, 0-60 times, and many more features. Cost without tablet is $35. Response time is real-time for all gauges.

Downside in a Fiero with an engine swap is you can't display fuel level or oil pressure, since they don't go though the PCM. There is an input for fuel level on the 3800 PCM however.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

An easier way to get "digital" gauges in a Fiero with an OBD2 computer in this day in age ....

Since when do Fiero enthusiasts do things the easy way?? We would be driving Camaros if that was our mode of operation.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Since when do Fiero enthusiasts do things the easy way?? We would be driving Camaros if that was our mode of operation.

I said easier, not easiest.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigDirect Link to This Post
The Riviera guages use a serial link communication from the BCM that gets it's info partially from the PCM. I have been told that the communication data changes from year to year, make and model...typical GM. Give her hell though! There is a guy on the forum who has partially got one working part way down this page https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/058885-4.html
I have a copy of the Riviera wiring including the dash...PM me and I'll see if I can send it to you.
PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero al:

I geuss I don't need it after all. found out that these gauges wont work with a OBD2 system and that they need a BCM to work. Feel free to still post any diagrams of the wiring for if someone else may need them for reference.

Wiring diagrams for the 90 Riv and Reatta (they share the same IPC) are available at Reatta.net I believe.
If you cant find it there you can go to "Search" on the Reatta forum and get what you need, ok?
Thanks, Kit
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Yea I just put my info in so I could get access to the service manual. Waiting for user ID and password.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
I have diagrams! My god this is complex and I haven't even looked at it in detail yet...
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I think you were wrong Alex...it is a 1991 cluster. Good thing I got some other diagrams for this year.

But we powered this thing up today for a test..it works! I really like it. It showed 00 error because it's not getting any serial data from the BCM that isn't there...lol But the test button works!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-29-2012).]

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigDirect Link to This Post
I don't think I've seen anyone successfully install one of these in a Fiero yet. It's gonna look amazing! I have plans but I think you're gonna beat me to it! Or at least save me the time if it turns out to be impossible!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
No I don't think anyone has actually got one working yet, but I could be wrong.
DANGERUS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DANGERUSSend a Private Message to DANGERUSDirect Link to This Post
I have never really been a big fan of digital gauges but that looks awesome! It really would suit the Fiero in keeping with the whole 80's theme. Good luck with getting it up and running!
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberDirect Link to This Post
Cool, this would be interesting to see
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
When I get this project going more, I'll make my own thread on it. If I can get it to work, not sure what Fiero it'll be going in yet.

I'm now using an old computer power supply to power it for testing, however it doesn't give as many volts as I would like...Only getting 10.x volts on the 12V wires unloaded, and loaded it goes down to 7.8 volts.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-29-2012).]

fiero al

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alDirect Link to This Post
After seeing what these gauges look like when they were powered up, kinda gave me a new hope in these gauges. I would really like to use these gauges but I want to make sure we can make these gauges work in the car first. If we can get these working without completely tarring my car apart, I might consider going through with this project. Matt seems to be determined to get these to work so I let him take the gauges for now and see what he can figure out about them. From what he has told me, it's going to be complicated but hopefully doable. We just need a few parts and some major wiring. Depending on how this goes will determine if I use these or not.

Add: depending on what we find out about these gauges will determine if these gauges are even compatible with working in my car. If it turns out they don't work out, then I will give them to Matt and see if they will work in any of his cars.

[This message has been edited by fiero al (edited 03-31-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Well like I said, I'm going to do as much testing as possible outside of a Fiero so said Fiero doesn't get hacked up for nothing, like you said. I am determined to get this working, it's becoming an obsession in my mind since we powered that thing up for the first time.

And what do you mean...I claim ownership to this!! Lol. Eh, not sure. If I get it working, I don't really think it would matter all that much which Fiero it would go into. I WILL tell you, that whatever car it goes into, going back to stock would be more or less impossible.
fiero al

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Well like I said, I'm going to do as much testing as possible outside of a Fiero so said Fiero doesn't get hacked up for nothing, like you said. I am determined to get this working, it's becoming an obsession in my mind since we powered that thing up for the first time.

And what do you mean...I claim ownership to this!! Lol. Eh, not sure. If I get it working, I don't really think it would matter all that much which Fiero it would go into. I WILL tell you, that whatever car it goes into, going back to stock would be more or less impossible.

Originally, when I first let you take the gauge cluster, I thought you were just taking it to mess around with it. Apparently I misunderstood what you were doing because I didn't think you were going to actually take the gauge cluster to keep it. Not that it couldn't be a possibility but I was going to probably pay you for helping with this or something like that.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally, when I first let you take the gauge cluster, I thought you were just taking it to mess around with it. Apparently I misunderstood what you were doing because I didn't think you were going to actually take the gauge cluster to keep it. Not that it couldn't be a possibility but I was going to probably pay you for helping with this or something like that.

Yea, if I kept it, it would only be going in Skye, Goldie's gauges are too nice. But yea I most likely won't keep it, I need the money.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 03-31-2012).]

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigDirect Link to This Post
any progress on the dash project?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

After seeing what these gauges look like when they were powered up, kinda gave me a new hope in these gauges. I would really like to use these gauges but I want to make sure we can make these gauges work in the car first. If we can get these working without completely tarring my car apart, I might consider going through with this project. M

There is no reason to tear apart the Fiero to install any gauge cluster. You can make a completely plug and play harness that leaves all the Fiero wiring untouched and you can go back to stock at any time.

Talk to Riceburner98 or Fieroluke they can do just about any electronic conversion.
What about Bob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2012 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for What about BobSend a Private Message to What about BobDirect Link to This Post
mattwa,
I wish you well and hope you can succeed. I have a 90 riviera cluster just waiting to go, but no time for research. Here are a few more links:

92 Riviera Digital Instrument Cluster in a Fiero???!!!

Digital Instrument cluster install

Reatta dash install?

1990 Riviera Dash Cluster

It sound like everything but the tach can work. Do you have the documentation for the1990?

Bob
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2012 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I have the correct documents for the cluster, it's an 1991 instead of 1990, found that out. But this has been put aside for now, much more important things to do.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock