Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  92 Riviera Digital Instrument Cluster in a Fiero???!!!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

92 Riviera Digital Instrument Cluster in a Fiero???!!! by Darth Fiero
Started on: 12-07-2004 07:33 PM
Replies: 27
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 12-29-2004 02:15 PM
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Some of you might be aware that I am doing another L67 swap but this time it is into a 1989 Buick Reatta. (you can follow the build thread on http://www.l67swap.com forums)

Well it just so happens the owner of this particular Reatta has expressed interest in swapping in a 92 Riviera digital cluster instead of his anemic digital stocker. Here is what the Riviera cluster looks like:

The GOOD news is it appears this cluster my physically fit within the confines of the OEM Fiero gauge pod without too much trouble. As soon as I get ahold of one of these things I will measure it up and let you all know.

The BAD news: Well, this cluster requires a BCM to provide it with most of the guage and warning light information. However, the BCM wiring indicates to me that it could be made to work in a Fiero. The only bad thing is that it appears the cluster itself requires an uplink with the 3800 computer via serial data line in order to operate the tachometer. I am pretty sure the stock Fiero ECM is not capable of providing the correct signal but those of you with engine swaps using an OBDI computer might be able to use it. Again, I will know more once I have one here and play with it a little.

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom Chip Burning | Fiero Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | www.gmtuners.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Okay, you have my interest. Also, I would like to know your opinion of the Reatta when your done. I have seen a few of them but never drove one.

------------------

84 Sport Coupe
87 GT 5 Spd

intlcutlass

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
I have though about that , but never got around to pursuing it. I LOVE the digital gauges, and those Reatta ones look very similar to the International Cutlass.

Please keep us updated on that... I am VERY interested!!!!

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Arghh. That's what I get for being a slacker.. Beat to the punch.

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

The GOOD news is it appears this cluster my physically fit within the confines of the OEM Fiero gauge pod without too much trouble. As soon as I get ahold of one of these things I will measure it up and let you all know.

Yep, it's very close. A little trimming on the Fiero gauge pod bracket and a little trimming of the Reatta cluster is all it takes. Most of the interference is in the steering column hump and where the connectors plug into the Reatta cluster. I can provide some pics of the clearancing required to the pod if you like. For the Fiero, you'll need to build a new faceplate for it. Here's a pic from my Archie dash buildup thread, you can just barely make out the cluster. It doesn't show much and I had to trim off the switch areas for the dash I was using, but it shows some of the back trimming.

The BAD news: Well, this cluster requires a BCM to provide it with most of the guage and warning light information. However, the BCM wiring indicates to me that it could be made to work in a Fiero. The only bad thing is that it appears the cluster itself requires an uplink with the 3800 computer via serial data line in order to operate the tachometer. I am pretty sure the stock Fiero ECM is not capable of providing the correct signal but those of you with engine swaps using an OBDI computer might be able to use it. Again, I will know more once I have one here and play with it a little.

99% of the wiring is very easy and the only tricky part was as you said, the tach. On the schematic I'm using, one of the pins is labelled coil or crank, I can't remember which at the moment. I assume this one is for the tach signal and it is available by splicing into the IM harness. I wanted to do some more research on this one, it seemed odd that the BCM would want access to that circuit. IIRC, the serial data line is only needed for the MIL and likely some functions that are no longer being used (at least in my setup). I wonder if the missing functions in the BCM are going to throw the MIL on the dash for non-engine related errors.

I'm talking off the top of my head now, my diagrams are not with me right now. Keep up the good work, Darth, I'm sure this one will be as cool as the rest of them.

[This message has been edited by Stinkin_V8 (edited 12-08-2004).]

intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stinkin_V8:
99% of the wiring is very easy and the only tricky part was as you said, the tach.

Thats the reason you can't put a 3800 II in a Cutlass Supreme with a digital tach and have a working tach. The W-Body guy Shawn Lin explained it to me once, but the most I can remember right now, is that you would have to piggy back the computers.....

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by intlcutlass:

Thats the reason you can't put a 3800 II in a Cutlass Supreme with a digital tach and have a working tach. The W-Body guy Shawn Lin explained it to me once, but the most I can remember right now, is that you would have to piggy back the computers.....

That is plan B for me - running a second ECM to handle the BCM/cluster. Then I'm back to the MIL issue - which one lights it? This might not be a point of concern - now that I think of it, the SES may be down in the bulb-lighted display near the bottom. Like I said, I gotta check my scem's.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by intlcutlass:

We know that OBDII computer data streams are completely different than OBDI data streams which is why the digital cluster's tach won't work. And BTW, I have 2 of those Cutlass digital clusters and wish they would fit in a Fiero but they are just too long. For this project I will be using a 95 Bonneville 3800SC OBDI computer to control the Series II engine using one of my custom chips. There is a parameter in the stock 95 OBDI computer program that when switched on tells the PCM to send data to other modules that exist on in the car via the serial data line. Within a couple of weeks I will be able to determine if this signal is compatible with the earlier Reatta electronics or the 92 Riviera stuff.

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Darth, you probably already know that the BCM data stream spec is included in the ALDLStuff.zip from diy-efi as A146.DS and A180.DS. It's over my head but just in case you didn't know about it, maybe it would be useful. I can email 'em if you like.
intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

We know that OBDII computer data streams are completely different than OBDI data streams which is why the digital cluster's tach won't work. And BTW, I have 2 of those Cutlass digital clusters and wish they would fit in a Fiero but they are just too long. For this project I will be using a 95 Bonneville 3800SC OBDI computer to control the Series II engine using one of my custom chips. There is a parameter in the stock 95 OBDI computer program that when switched on tells the PCM to send data to other modules that exist on in the car via the serial data line. Within a couple of weeks I will be able to determine if this signal is compatible with the earlier Reatta electronics or the 92 Riviera stuff.

So your gunna use a Series II engine , with Series I electronics, so you can use the digital cluster....Good call!!!

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Looking at my schematics now.. The IP harness consists mostly of grounds, power, UART, signal lights and some other non-engine related stuff. The SES/MIL is a seperate wire so it can be run to the ECM. The BCM looks like it takes feeds directly from the engine sensors and what what I think looks like the tach signal is at BC14 is ckt# 806, labelled "crank". Of course, I don't have any of my other diagrams in front of me at the moment so I can't cross-reference this circuit. It looks like this one is the only questionable hookup but I'd be willing to bet that this is either the 3x or the 18x signal from the crank sensor.

It doesn't look to me like the BCM really needs the ECM in order to run the dash. Hope this helps. On second thought, I hope this leads you so astray that it takes you months to complete and then I can be first. Just kidding. After all the help Darth has given me, I hope this is a little in the way of repayment.

Darth or Intlcutlass - can you get me a dimension of the Cutlass cluster? While the Riv/Reatta cluster fits great in the stock Fiero gauge pod, it's almost too narrow for the Archie dash.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stinkin_V8:

The BCM looks like it takes feeds directly from the engine sensors and what what I think looks like the tach signal is at BC14 is ckt# 806, labelled "crank". Of course, I don't have any of my other diagrams in front of me at the moment so I can't cross-reference this circuit. It looks like this one is the only questionable hookup but I'd be willing to bet that this is either the 3x or the 18x signal from the crank sensor.

According to my info ckt 806 gets power via the 3amp Crank fuse only during engine start (crank). So this would not be the tach feed. I speculated that the Riviera cluster gets tach data from the PCM Serial Data Line because the same holds true for the Cutlass Supreme digital cluster.

It doesn't look to me like the BCM really needs the ECM in order to run the dash. Hope this helps. On second thought, I hope this leads you so astray that it takes you months to complete and then I can be first. Just kidding. After all the help Darth has given me, I hope this is a little in the way of repayment.

Darth or Intlcutlass - can you get me a dimension of the Cutlass cluster? While the Riv/Reatta cluster fits great in the stock Fiero gauge pod, it's almost too narrow for the Archie dash.

You are correct in that it appears the BCM needs no data from the PCM in order to run the cluster which leaves the only inputs that the cluster needs is for the speedo (via VSS wire) and Tach (via serial data line). I will get some measurements and a pic of the cutty cluster when I can dig it out. Might be Christmas until I can get to it though.

PFF
System Bot
formulagator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2004 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulagatorSend a Private Message to formulagatorDirect Link to This Post
If anyone wants to try this I can get one of these clusters out of a 91 Cutlass w/ 3.4 dohc. I can get the connector and some of the harness too. About $60.00 shipped but I can't guarantee it, it is from a totaled car though. I may use it for my 3800 Sc if no body wants it.
Rich

------------------
Rick Longfellow
Formulagator
fierorick64@earthlink.net
rlongfel@ufl.edu
88 Formula 3800 SC 5 speed
84 SE 2002 2.2L 5 speed
85 GT 3.1 Auto

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2004 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I have a 92 Cutlass International digital dash working with the 92- 95 3800 ECM's. Too bad it's so long. I wanted to put it in my Ciera SC but it won't fit. Well, not without some major work.

Nice dash though.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 12-13-2004).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2004 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

I have a 92 Cutlass International digital dash working with the 92- 95 3800 ECM's. Too bad it's so long. I wanted to put it in my Ciera SC but it won't fit. Well, not without some major work.

Nice dash though.

So what you are saying is the tach on the digital cutlass cluster works with the 94-95 16183247 3800 computer? If so I will be VERY happy.

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2004 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
No, the data fields in one of the scheduled messages have to be modified for 92-93 (ID, length, etc.)

I originallly changed two messages to get the 88-91 DIC to work with the 92-93 ECM. From that I got the dash to work.

The 94-95 messages are pretty close for the Cutlass dash. I'd have to pull my notes and code to see if I touched it very much. But it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Just check the message ID and length and make sure the RPM is in the same location as the dash requires.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 12-13-2004).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2004 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

No, the data fields in one of the scheduled messages have to be modified for 92-93 (ID, length, etc.)

I originallly changed two messages to get the 88-91 DIC to work with the 92-93 ECM. From that I got the dash to work.

The 94-95 messages are pretty close for the Cutlass dash. I'd have to pull my notes and code to see if I touched it very much. But it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Just check the message ID and length and make sure the RPM is in the same location as the dash requires.

I have an incomplete disassembly of the $5B code and I remember seeing something in it that related to ALDL data stream schedules and what not. If you could supply me with the cutty dash address requirements it would be MUCH appreciated. Only thing I wish I had now was a disassembly of the 88-91 3800 ECM so I could see where the data is scheduled in that, maybe then I could get the 94-95 $5B PCM to work for sure with the 89 Reatta CRT and BCM. Any ideas where these other disassemblies might be floating around?

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2004 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
How about using one of these dashs with a 91 Caddy 4.9 ECM? I am so looking for a Digital Dash for my 88 Formula/GT 4.9.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE 2.8 - beater coupe-
86 SE 3.4 -in progress 3800 II SC -
88 Formula GT 4.9 5 speed beast
Enough parts outside for another one
-And a 3.4 push rod for sale in the mall Go and look-

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2004 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Does this help?

I couldn't find anything for the ECMs in question but from A180.ds, for the E-car BCM:

NORMAL MODE BROADCAST MESSAGE
$20 BCM TO IPC DATA (9 BYTES)
$21 IPC TO BCM DATA (1 BYTE)
$22 BCM TO IPC DATA (9 BYTES)

WORD # DESCRIPTION ($20 BCM TO IPC DATA)

WORD # DESCRIPTION ($21 IPC TO BCM DATA)

WORD # DESCRIPTION ($22 BCM TO IPC DATA)

$30 BCM TO ECCP DATA (3 BYTES)
$31 ECCP TO BCM DATA (3 BYTE)

WORD # DESCRIPTION ($30 BCM TO ECCP DATA)

WORD # DESCRIPTION ($30 ECCP TO BCM DATA)

$40 BCM TO ECM DATA (4 BYTES)
$41 ECM TO BCM DATA (6 BYTE)

WORD # DESCRIPTION ($40 BCM TO ECM DATA)

WORD # DESCRIPTION ($41 ECM TO BCM DATA)

$A0 BCM TO SIR DATA (0 BYTES)
$A1 SIR TO BCM DATA (1 BYTE)

WORD # DESCRIPTION ($A0 BCM TO SIR DATA)

NO DATA, POLL ONLY IS SENT TO SIR

WORD # DESCRIPTION ($A0 BCM TO SIR DATA)

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2004 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Here is what I have from the 94-95 BKKF.BIN diss:

* BROADCAST REMOTE MESSAGES *
*;;*********************************
*;;* F9MST TABLE (NEW C/H/G/U CAR)*
*;;* MESSAGE SCHEDULE TABLE *
*;;* TABLE VALUE = ADDRESS *
*::TBL2D,80,TBLX,1,'ADDRS' ::
9874 9A18 F9MST FDB F9ABSMSG 0
*::EQU N=E ::
9876 0000 FDB $0 1
9878 99EE FDB F9IPCMSG 2
987A 0000 FDB $0 3
987C 99E2 FDB F9MSG3 4
987E 0000 FDB $0 5
9880 0000 FDB $0 6
9882 0000 FDB $0 7
9884 9A18 FDB F9ABSMSG 8
9886 0000 FDB $0 9
9888 99EE FDB F9IPCMSG 10
988A 0000 FDB $0 11
988C 0000 FDB $0 12
988E 0000 FDB $0 13
9890 0000 FDB $0 14
9892 0000 FDB $0 15
9894 9A18 FDB F9ABSMSG 16
9896 0000 FDB $0 17
9898 99EE FDB F9IPCMSG 18
989A 0000 FDB $0 19
989C 0000 FDB $0 20
989E 0000 FDB $0 21
98A0 0000 FDB $0 22
98A2 0000 FDB $0 23
98A4 9A18 FDB F9ABSMSG 24
98A6 0000 FDB $0 25
98A8 99EE FDB F9IPCMSG 26
98AA 0000 FDB $0 27
98AC 9A06 FDB F9HVCMSG 28
98AE 0000 FDB $0 29
98B0 0000 FDB $0 30
98B2 0000 FDB $0 31
98B4 9A18 FDB F9ABSMSG 32
98B6 0000 FDB $0 33
98B8 99EE FDB F9IPCMSG 34
98BA 0000 FDB $0 35
98BC 0000 FDB $0 36
98BE 0000 FDB $0 37
98C0 0000 FDB $0 38
98C2 0000 FDB $0 39
98C4 9A18 FDB F9ABSMSG 40
98C6 0000 FDB $0 41
98C8 99EE FDB F9IPCMSG 42
98CA 0000 FDB $0 43
98CC 0000 FDB $0 44
98CE 0000 FDB $0 45
98D0 0000 FDB $0 46
98D2 0000 FDB $0 47
98D4 9A18 FDB F9ABSMSG 48
98D6 0000 FDB $0 49
98D8 99EE FDB F9IPCMSG 50
98DA 0000 FDB $0 51
98DC 0000 FDB $0 52
98DE 0000 FDB $0 53
98E0 0000 FDB $0 54
98E2 0000 FDB $0 55
98E4 9A18 FDB F9ABSMSG 56
98E6 0000 FDB $0 57
98E8 99EE FDB F9IPCMSG 58
98EA 0000 FDB $0 59
98EC 0000 FDB $0 60
98EE 0000 FDB $0 61
98F0 0000 FDB $0 62
98F2 0000 FDB $0 63
98F4 9A18 FDB F9ABSMSG 64
98F6 0000 FDB $0 65
98F8 99EE FDB F9IPCMSG 66
98FA 0000 FDB $0 67
98FC 9A06 FDB F9HVCMSG 68
98FE 0000 FDB $0 69
9900 0000 FDB $0 70
9902 0000 FDB $0 71
9904 9A18 FDB F9ABSMSG 72
9906 0000 FDB $0 73
9908 99EE FDB F9IPCMSG 74
990A 0000 FDB $0 75
990C 9A2A FDB F9DRMMSG 76
990E 0000 FDB $0 77
9910 0000 FDB $0 78
9912 0000 FDB $0 79
*;;*******************************
*;;* F9MST2 TABLE (OLD, W CAR) *
*;;* MESSAGE SCHEDULE TABLE *
*::TBL2D,80,TBLX,1,'ADDRS' ::
9914 99C4 F9MST2 FDB F9MSG2 0
9916 0000 FDB $0 1
9918 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 2
991A 0000 FDB $0 3
991C 99E2 FDB F9MSG3 4
991E 0000 FDB $0 5
9920 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 6
9922 0000 FDB $0 7
9924 0000 FDB $0 8
9926 0000 FDB $0 9
9928 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 10
992A 0000 FDB $0 11
992C 0000 FDB $0 12
992E 0000 FDB $0 13
9930 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 14
9932 0000 FDB $0 15
9934 99C4 FDB F9MSG2 16
9936 0000 FDB $0 17
9938 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 18
993A 0000 FDB $0 19
993C 99E2 FDB F9MSG3 20
993E 0000 FDB $0 21
9940 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 22
9942 0000 FDB $0 23
9944 0000 FDB $0 24
9946 0000 FDB $0 25
9948 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 26
994A 0000 FDB $0 27
994C 0000 FDB $0 28
994E 0000 FDB $0 29
9950 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 30
9952 0000 FDB $0 31
9954 99C4 FDB F9MSG2 32
9956 0000 FDB $0 33
9958 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 34
995A 0000 FDB $0 35
995C 99E2 FDB F9MSG3 36
995E 0000 FDB $0 37
9960 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 38
9962 0000 FDB $0 39
9964 0000 FDB $0 40
9966 0000 FDB $0 41
9968 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 42
996A 0000 FDB $0 43
996C 0000 FDB $0 44
996E 0000 FDB $0 45
9970 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 46
9972 0000 FDB $0 47
9974 99C4 FDB F9MSG2 48
9976 0000 FDB $0 49
9978 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 50
997A 0000 FDB $0 51
997C 99E2 FDB F9MSG3 52
997E 0000 FDB $0 53
9980 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 54
9982 0000 FDB $0 55
9984 0000 FDB $0 56
9986 0000 FDB $0 57
9988 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 58
998A 0000 FDB $0 59
998C 0000 FDB $0 60
998E 0000 FDB $0 61
9990 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 62
9992 0000 FDB $0 63
9994 99C4 FDB F9MSG2 64
9996 0000 FDB $0 65
9998 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 66
999A 0000 FDB $0 67
999C 99E2 FDB F9MSG3 68
999E 0000 FDB $0 69
99A0 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 70
99A2 0000 FDB $0 71
99A4 0000 FDB $0 72
99A6 0000 FDB $0 73
99A8 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 74
99AA 0000 FDB $0 75
99AC 0000 FDB $0 76
99AE 0000 FDB $0 77
99B0 99B4 FDB F9MSG1 78
99B2 0000 FDB $0 79
*;;******************************************************
*;;* F9MSG1 *
*;;* MESSAGE TO BE TRANSMITTED IN BROADCAST REMOTE MODE *
*::TBL2D,3,7,TBLX,1,'ADDRS' ::
99B4 0000 F9MSG1 FDB 0 'ADDRS' NEXT MESSAGE ENTRY ADDRESS
99B6 0A FCB $A ' ' MESSAGE ID NOTE: 4A FOR 91 HVAC
99B7 80 FCB $80 'FLAG' USE ROM TABLE
99B8 03 FCB 3 'BYTES' NUMBER OF OUTPUT DATA BYTES
99B9 1950 FDB SDVOCB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF OUTPUT MESSAGE BUFFER
99BB 1926 FDB ALSOICB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF SECONDARY INPUT BUFFER
99BD F4 FCB $F4 'ID ' NOT USED IN BROADCAST REMOTE
99BE 196E FDB DISWRD3 1
99C0 FFFF FDB $FFFF 2
99C2 01C8 FDB RPM2BYT 3
*;;* F9MSG2 *
*::TBL2D,10,7,TBLX,1,'ADDRS' ::
19907 99C4 0000 F9MSG2 FDB 0 'ADDRS' NEXT MESSAGE ENTRY ADDRESS
19908 99C6 05 FCB $5 ' ' MESSAGE ID NOTE: 45 FOR 91 HVAC
19909 99C7 80 FCB $80 'FLAG' USE ROM TABLE NOTE: USE 7 BYTES FOR 91
19910 99C8 0A FCB 10 'BYTES' NUMBER OF OUTPUT DATA BYTES
19911 99C9 1950 FDB SDVOCB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF OUTPUT MESSAGE BUFFER
19912 99CB 1926 FDB ALSOICB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF SECONDARY INPUT BUFFER
19913 99CD F4 FCB $F4 'ID ' NOT USED IN BROADCAST REMOTE
19914 99CE FFFF FDB $FFFF 1
19915 99D0 196C FDB DISWRD1 2
19916 99D2 00D9 FDB FILTMPH 3
19917 99D4 986E FDB KREDLINE 4
19918 99D6 0036 FDB ADBAT 5
19919 99D8 1969 FDB LITRES2 6
19920 99DA 03D0 FDB TESTBYTE 7 NOTE: NEEDS TO BE COOLDEG FOR 91 HVAC
19921 99DC 03D0 FDB TESTBYTE 8 GM10 MSG
19922 99DE 03D0 FDB TESTBYTE 9 GM10 MSG
19923 99E0 006B FDB COOLDEG 10 GM10 MSG
*;;* F9MSG3 *
*::TBL2D,0,7,TBLX,1,'ADDRS' ::
19924 99E2 0000 F9MSG3 FDB 0 'ADDRS' NEXT MESSAGE ENTRY ADDRESS
19925 99E4 F0 KSDALALN FCB $F0 ' ' MESSAGE ID
19926 99E5 80 FCB $80 'FLAG' USE ROM TABLE
19927 99E6 01 FCB 1 'BYTES' NUMBER OF OUTPUT DATA BYTES
19928 99E7 1950 FDB SDVOCB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF OUTPUT MESSAGE BUFFER
19929 99E9 1926 FDB ALSOICB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF SECONDARY INPUT BUFFER
19930 99EB F4 FCB $F4 'ID ' NOT USED IN BROADCAST REMOTE
19931 99EC 9872 FDB KECMID 1 POLLING DEVICE (ECM) ID
* G CAR BROADCAST REMOTE MESSAGES *
*;;*************************************************************
*;;* F9IPCMSG *
*;;* MESSAGE TO BE TRANSMITTED TO IPC IN REMOTE BROADCAST MODE *
*::TBL2D,8,7,TBLX,1,'ADDRS' ::
19932 99EE 0000 F9IPCMSG FDB 0 'ADDRS' NEXT MESSAGE ENTRY ADDRESS
19933 99F0 20 FCB $20 ' ' MESSAGE ID
19934 99F1 80 FCB $80 'FLAG' USE PROM TABLE
*::NOPROTECT ::
19935 99F2 07 FCB 7 'BYTES' NUMBER OF OUTPUT DATA BYTES
*::PROTECT ::
19936 99F3 1950 FDB SDVOCB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF OUTPUT MESSAGE BUFFER
19937 99F5 1926 FDB ALSOICB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF INPUT MESSAGE BUFFER
19938 99F7 F4 FCB $F4 'ID ' NOT USED IN BROADCAST REMOTE
19939 99F8 006B FDB COOLDEG 1 C,H,G
19940 99FA 195E FDB PCMSTATI 2 C,H,G
19941 99FC 02EA FDB POLR 3 C,H
19942 99FE 1969 FDB LITRES2 4 C,H
19943 9A00 195F FDB PCMSTTI2 5 C,H
19944 9A02 00D9 FDB FILTMPH 6 C,H
19945 9A04 019B FDB ATSDEG 7 C,H
*;;**************************************************************
*;;* F9HVCMSG *
*;;* MESSAGE TO BE TRANSMITTED TO HVAC IN REMOTE BROADCAST MODE *
*::TBL2D,5,7,TBLX,1,'ADDRS' ::
19946 9A06 0000 F9HVCMSG FDB 0 'ADDRS' NEXT MESSAGE ENTRY ADDRESS
19947 9A08 A8 FCB $A8 ' ' MESSAGE ID
19948 9A09 80 FCB $80 'FLAG' USE PROM TABLE
19949 9A0A 01 FCB 1 'BYTES' NUMBER OF OUTPUT DATA BYTES
19950 9A0B 1950 FDB SDVOCB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF OUTPUT MESSAGE BUFFER
19951 9A0D 1926 FDB ALSOICB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF INPUT MESSAGE BUFFER
19952 9A0F F4 FCB $F4 'ID ' NOT USED IN BROADCAST REMOTE
19953 9A10 1960 FDB PCMSTATH 1 C,H,G
19954 9A12 00D9 FDB FILTMPH 2 G
19955 9A14 03D0 FDB TESTBYTE 3 G
19956 9A16 0036 FDB ADBAT 4 G
*;;* F9ABSMSG *
*;;* MESSAGE TO BE TRANSMITTED TO ABS IN REMOTE BROADCAST MODE *
*::TBL2D,5,7,TBLX,1,'ADDRS' ::
19957 9A18 0000 F9ABSMSG FDB 0 'ADDRS' NEXT MESSAGE ENTRY ADDRESS
19958 9A1A 90 FCB $90 ' ' MESSAGE ID
19959 9A1B 80 FCB $80 'FLAG' USE PROM TABLE
19960 9A1C 04 FCB 4 'BYTES' NUMBER OF OUTPUT DATA BYTES
19961 9A1D 1950 FDB SDVOCB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF OUTPUT MESSAGE BUFFER
19962 9A1F 1926 FDB ALSOICB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF INPUT MESSAGE BUFFER
19963 9A21 F4 FCB $F4 'ID ' NOT USED IN BROADCAST REMOTE
19964 9A22 0069 FDB NTRPMX 1 C,H,G,U
19965 9A24 8856 FDB KTRQSCLR 2 C,H,G U = ATS
19966 9A26 19F2 FDB TORQ2DLV 3 C,H,G U = ENGTRQ
19967 9A28 1961 FDB PCMSTATA 4 C,H,G,U
*;;* F9DRMMSG *
*;;* MESSAGE TO BE TRANSMITTED TO DERM IN REMOTE BROADCAST MODE*
*::TBL2D,0,7,TBLX,1,'ADDRS' ::
19968 9A2A 0000 F9DRMMSG FDB 0 'ADDRS' NEXT MESSAGE ENTRY ADDRESS
19969 9A2C A0 FCB $A0 ' ' MESSAGE ID
19970 9A2D 80 FCB $80 'FLAG' USE PROM TABLE
19971 9A2E 00 FCB 0 'BYTES' NUMBER OF OUTPUT DATA BYTES
19972 9A2F 1950 FDB SDVOCB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF OUTPUT MESSAGE BUFFER
19973 9A31 1926 FDB ALSOICB 'ADDRS' ADDRESS OF INPUT MESSAGE BUFFER
19974 9A33 F4 FCB $F4 'ID ' NOT USED IN BROADCAST REMOTE

This is what I have, there are more tables but these appear to be what we need to be concerned about. Now all I need to know is IF anything needs to be changed, and if so, where and what to change it to.

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2004 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
You are testing my memory.....

I originally changed MSG2 in the 92/93 code to run the earlier DIC (gauges, MPG, range, etc.) That required a double byte RPM. Funny, if you plug that DIC into stock code, the DIC reads DIAGNOSTICS.

In hindsight though, I tried the Cutlass dash after I modified the message for the DIC. I'm thinking now that MSG1 might be what is read by the dash and not MSG 2. MSG1 in the 94/95 ECM might work without changes.

If it doesn't then MSG2 will need to be changed in the order with a message length of 10. The order of MSG2 is different in the 94/95 from the 92/93.

92/93 is:
RPM MSB
RPM LSB
FILTMPH
REDLINE
VBAT
LITERS2
LITERS USED +1
CTS (early DICs)
Injector Flow MSB
Injector Flow LSB
CTS (later DICs)

The problem is that I only knew what the 90 3800 ECM was sending to DIC and I was concentrating on that. I didn't know specifically what message the dash was reading. I started to disassembly the DIC code but it's an weird processor and I never went very far. I had plans to make it act as an ALDL scanner. Project 4562.....

As I said, it's possible the dash is reading MSG1. If so, it might work without changes. The Rivera dash might read the same message too. Try it. If it doesn't, the order I listed above should work. Otherwise I will have to work more on the message scheduler for the 4.9L code. I haven't gone into that area.

Keep me posted. Power, ground and ALDL should be all you need to test the dash. If the tach works, you got it.

I assume I get royalties for this......

TK

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 12-14-2004).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2004 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

I assume I get royalties for this......

TK

But of course, what would you like?

Anyway, thanks for the info now all I need to do is get this thing running and see what I get out of the BCM/CRT/IPC.

PFF
System Bot
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2004 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Let me know what you find!
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2004 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Let me know what you find!

Replaced the CRT with a good one and turned the key on. Got an error for no communication with ECM. Tried 3 different .bin files all from different cars (95 Riviera, 94 C-car, 94 H-car) to no avail. Will need to know more about 89-90 Reatta BCM-PCM communications and see if I can get this working. However, the owner has expressed his dislike for the current dash/cluster and the fact that he wants a CD player so he is thinking of upgrading to the Riviera cluster and HVAC controls anyway. I got the cutlass digital cluster sitting here I might go out and hook it up to see if the tach will work.

Anyway if anyone can help I am looking for info on the message scheduler / data stream for ECM to BCM communications on the 89-90 Reatta. I would still like to see if we could get this thing figured out. Any help would be appreciated.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2004 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5921 posts
Member since Oct 2002
Got some pics of the Cutlass Supreme Digital Instrument Cluster TK was talking about.

It measures 18.25" wide, 6.75" tall, and 2.875" thick overall. The actual digital display measures 11.125" wide and 2.125" tall. This cluster does NOT require a BCM but does require ECM/PCM serial data link and the correct program message interface instructions to operate the tachometer.

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Did you try the Cutlass panel on the 94/95 ECM?
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Did you try the Cutlass panel on the 94/95 ECM?

Yes, but I only tried out one .bin file, I have a couple of different ones I will try out to see if they will send tach data to the cluster.

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Ok, did the tach work......
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Ok, did the tach work......

oh sorry, no the tach did NOT work. I am working on the exhaust today; once I get that done I will do some more testing with different chips.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock