Started on: 01-10-2009 09:23 PM
Replies: 153
Last post by: nosrac on 02-03-2013 09:42 PM
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I am starting on another 3800SC swap for another local Fiero owner. The car is an 86 GT and will be getting a 3800SC/65E-HD along with some go-fast MODS and dressed up with some pretties.

Engine/Trans
2000 3800SC w/ 95k
65E-HD
Fieroaddiction 3800 low mounts for engine/trans
FieroFlyer Wiring Harness

MODS:
VS Cam
Machined Lower Intake
P/P SC Housing
N* Throttle Body
Headers
MPS
3 inch Mandrel Exhaust
4 inch Intake
MSD Wires
AL 104s
Returnless Fuel System
ZZP IC--Once a core is found

Dress up items:
ZZP Billet Fuel Rails
ZZP Polished VCs w/ breather
Painted Blower Case

I might have missed a few things but will update the list later if I did or if anything else is added on. Here is the motor/trans from when I got it. Wil update with more pictures soon.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fierostarvin

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2009 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinDirect Link to This Post
Keep posting builds I pick up a little more knowledge with everyone thanks!!!!!!!
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
What is being used for the 4 inch intake?
DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
I be watching. Need to start saving for my next one.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

What is being used for the 4 inch intake?

Unsure as of now--I used a 90* PVC turn/90* rubber turn on the last swap that worked out well but was a tight fit. I am still looking for the intake hose that Skiball's used on his swap many years ago. If I find it then that is what I will use but if not then it is undecided as of now.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
If you ever find it, will you share with the rest of us? I spent a few nights looking all over online but can't find anything. I saw a very similar looking hose, black, 4 inch, even had the same looking "texture", however not the same shape and no coil inside... it was on clubgp, he used it on another 3800SC car. He said it was the coupling hose from a big rig intercooler...

I also thought I saw some similar hose, although it seemed more flexible, in a mythbusters episode on tv. The guy used it to connect two pressure lines for some air pressure cannon. It looked about 3 - 4inches, flexible, rubberish, although it was white. The hose said: HOSE II 048643-928725

I googled that stuff but I can't seem to find it in anymore than 2inch diameter, although in the tv show it was much larger. I dont think it resists the heat of an engine bay though... the search continues...

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 01-11-2009).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

If you ever find it, will you share with the rest of us? I spent a few nights looking all over online but can't find anything. I saw a very similar looking hose, black, 4 inch, even had the same looking "texture", however not the same shape and no coil inside... it was on clubgp, he used it on another 3800SC car. He said it was the coupling hose from a big rig intercooler...

I also thought I saw some similar hose, although it seemed more flexible, in a mythbusters episode on tv. The guy used it to connect two pressure lines for some air pressure cannon. It looked about 3 - 4inches, flexible, rubberish, although it was white. The hose said: HOSE II 048643-928725

I googled that stuff but I can't seem to find it in anymore than 2inch diameter, although in the tv show it was much larger. I dont think it resists the heat of an engine bay though... the search continues...

If I find a source and part number for the intake house it will be plastered over every Forum on the internet for everyone to see. It is used on a Freighliner Semi for charge hose. I haven't had a chance to go to any Freighliner places to check but plan on it soon.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2009 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002
Got just some cleaning done on the engine/trans today and a little picture taking done also. Plans for this week is to get the cradle cleaned up, add aluminuim bushings and do the cam install into the engine.

Engine clelaned up:

Front side:

Headers:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Some of the Goodies:

ZZP Fuel Logs/Polished VC:
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
There is some lower grade stuff if you poke around a bit, but this is what I would use for intake tube.

http://www.aircraftspruce.c...og/appages/sceet.php

Err here is the cheapest stuff, I think there is an inbetween too.

http://www.aircraftspruce.c...alog/appages/cat.php

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 01-12-2009).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:
Unsure as of now--I used a 90* PVC turn/90* rubber turn on the last swap that worked out well but was a tight fit. I am still looking for the intake hose that Skiball's used on his swap many years ago. If I find it then that is what I will use but if not then it is undecided as of now.

I should have time after work to check out a Freightliner dealer today... stay tuned.

As far as the stuff DH posted a link for, it looked promising until I read this part in the description

"Not recommended for handling liquids or highly abrasive materials, or for negative pressure applications"

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Is stronger than anything that ZZP sells for intake tubing... They are an areospace company that is liable for things failing, so they are going to say what its designed for, and not what it "could be used for" in the areospace industry.
PFF
System Bot
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Is stronger than anything that ZZP sells for intake tubing... They are an areospace company that is liable for things failing, so they are going to say what its designed for, and not what it "could be used for" in the areospace industry.

I build airplanes, and have worked with the tubing you gave a link to. The black stuff will collapse. The orange stuff should hold up better, but it is not designed to hold up to any sort of vacuum. There is not much in the 3800 intake, but if you want to spend the bucks testing it out, please let us know the results.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I installed something very similar, the zzp stuff, and it worked just fine for one of my 3800 swaps. It was like the single ply black stuff.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Hehe Hehe heee

Smiling very BIG !
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2009 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005
Just found a pic of my old Fiero. However, this is NOT the vehicle that I am putting the 3800 SC in. Yahoo changed my Flickr account type and now I can't see my old photos

Oh well, I still have the memories. Now onward to bigger and better things or shold I say lighter and faster !

Ok, I was able to use Photobucket to get pics of my old Fiero. It was nasty.....a real junker.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 02-03-2009).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2009 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Got off work last night and got some work done on the swap. Pulled the 2.8 off the cradle that will be used and then tackled the cam swap. The motor got a VS cam, low mileage stock springs, new timing chain/tensioner, front gasket, water pump, new rocker bolts going in and new odd/end bolts. Still have to swap out the springs and put the rockers back on. The cradle will be getting cleaned up, painted and Rodney Dickman aluminum bushing installed tomorrow or so.

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 01-19-2009).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Time for an update and what has gotten done since my last posts. Got some more parts in, got the cradlle cleaned up/painted, mounts put on and the motor/trans mounted. Did a little painting on the LIM but didn't get to the SC before it started getting cold so that will get done later. Should be putting the topend parts on this weekend after painted and start working on getting the headers on.

N* Setup

Rodney Dickman Poly Mounts/FieroAddiction 3800 Mounts

Cradle painted W/ Mounts on

Motor/Trans with Motor/Trans Mounted w/Rodney Dickman Cradle Bushings

Custom84cp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom84cpSend a Private Message to Custom84cpDirect Link to This Post
That's going to be a pretty quick car, I know I ran a 11.97 with just about the same setup.
Looks good, now get some sleep!!!
Later...Steve
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
You are going to want to find a stock northstar throttle bracket for your setup, assuming the car its going in is a V6.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
MstangsBware tribute:

Fiero's Beware: Be afraid, be very very afraid.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 02-03-2009).]

LFiero67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Direct Link to This Post
If you have negative pressure before the throttle body, even at wide open throttle, you need a bigger air filter. The forces exerted on the intake tubing should alway be ambient pressure or just minimally less.

------------------
11.425 @115.60
Best 60' 1.543 seconds
3800 S/C 4T65E

PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
BUMP !
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Everything looks great! Any luck finding that part # at freightliner?
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2009 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Everything looks great! Any luck finding that part # at freightliner?

I haven't even had a chance to look--I went back to work and I have had very little time off to do much of anything--One reason the Thread hasn' t been updated. I am off for the weekend and will be working on the swap so look for updated pictures on Sunday night.

The only update I do have is that I ran into a issue with using Rodney Dickman poly mounts and FieroAddition lowering 3800 engine/tranny mounts. Once mounted up the pulley side of the engine sits 3/4 higher that the trans side so this has to be corrected. Will be re-drilling the mount to make the motor/trans sit level.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
how come this thread is not in the new Construction Zone?

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2009 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Time for a little update and pictures:

Got the issue with the pulley side of the motor sitting 3/4 higher than the other side by drilling new holes in the engine mount. Now the engine sits nice and level like it should. Did some painting on several parts and they all turned out well but still have some painting to do on other parts. I started putting on the Xtune Headers and found that the rear headers was not built right and hits the trans case so this issue is being dealt with. Hopefully the seller of the headers have corrected this issue and the problem will be resolved. another route may be taken for headers on the swap even if the problem with the Xtune headers are corrected. Also put on the ZZP rails only to find that the rear rail doesn't fir exactly but can be fixed with a little work. The motor will be getting an IC so the SC will be coming back off to add the IC plate.

Header issue:

ZZP Rail issue:

Coming together:

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 02-23-2009).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2009 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Time for another update with a few pictures of what the swap looks like as of today. The headers that where being used where sent back and replaced with coated PaceSetter. The SC was pulled back off and a ZZP full size IC was added along with more painted being done to the SC. Also did some painting on the Alt and in a few other areas that can't be seen. The wiring harness came in and it will be added to the setup soon.

IC:

As it sits:

Again:
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
WOW ! those Headers look Beastly..... What I love most about Stephen installs is how clean they are.

They are so clean that I think something is missing.

I can't wait to finally drive a really Fast Fiero. My car is currently lacking in the sports category. It only looks fast.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 04-01-2009).]

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

WOW ! those Headers look Beastly..... What I love most about Stephen installs is how clean they are.

They are so clean that I think something is missing.

I can't wait to finally drive a really Fast Fiero. My car is currently lacking in the sports category. It only looks fast.

what Stephen is going to let you drive his car. j/k...

all kidding aside, the motor looks really nice almost makes me want to have one but i'm still holding out for his LS4 install.

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2009 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Tom, I have been eying your 88 Formula because I THINK I need the upgraded suspension.

Your 88 GT is a little out of my price range.

I was entertaining the idea of putting this engine into an 88, or doing a 88 cradle swap, or doing the 84-87 tie rod cut and mounting bracket inversion.

I have a lot of time to ponder what I THINK I want to do next to my Fiero.

So many option and too much time to think about it.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Bumpity Bump !

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 04-04-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2009 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Bump! any more info?
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Time for a little update--Getting to the point where the motor/trans will be getting put in the car soon. Still need to add the hoses for the IC and look into building an extra mount behind the A/C compressor for extra support. Had a few issues with the ZZP rails but that was worked out pretty easy. Will be adding the polished VC before the engine gets installed being it will be a pain to swap them out once installed.

DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Looking good! Cant what to see it complete.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Simply a work of Art !

Question, with the Fuel Rail over the exhaust x-over, will it need to be wraped, or is that a good thing? I have read that the fuel being warm it has better evaporation and thus burns more thoroughly?

Also, not sure about wrapping coated exhausts. I read that that may be a bad thing.

Hmmm, I wonder what I will be able to run in the 1/4 mile?

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Simply a work of Art !

Question, with the Fuel Rail over the exhaust x-over, will it need to be wraped, or is that a good thing? I have read that the fuel being warm it has better evaporation and thus burns more thoroughly?

Also, not sure about wrapping coated exhausts. I read that that may be a bad thing.

Hmmm, I wonder what I will be able to run in the 1/4 mile?

I tried to flip the fuel rails so the line would not have to be over the cross-over but with the Alt up high there was no way. The line can be routed over the end of the SC but trying to keep everything off the SC. Not forsure on the whole fuel heated burning thing but don't think it will be an issue.

Leave the headers like they are--The coating will be enough to keep the heat down.

BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
I got a 88 coupe with a bad engine that begging for a 3800

[This message has been edited by BMTFIERO (edited 04-13-2009).]

BustedRide

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BustedRideSend a Private Message to BustedRideDirect Link to This Post
^^^^ No, its begging to sit in my garage
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BustedRide:

The 88 coupe or the 3800 engine? ?
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BustedRide:

It is funny I just sold a black 88 5 spd coupe(with joy from the wife and my saddness) about a month ago. April 1, I woke up to find a another black 88 5 spd parked in front of my house. I thought that the man that I sold my coupe to had returned it. But the note on the windshield read " I see that you finally got you a fiero, I know you still want mine so here it is just pay me $500.00 for it when you can. Tell your dad I said hello - M. Hudson. Well Mr Hudson was the Owner of the first Fiero I ever sat under the wheel of. All through High School I begged him to sell it to me and of course he refused and even when I would come back home on leave I would ask him to sell it and still with no joy. He did tell me that if he ever sold it I would be first in line. So He called my dad found out where I lived and towed it 62 miles to my house. So from the first time that I was under the wheel until it being parked in my driveway was a mere 20yrs. And the only thing really wrong with it that it has a leaky waterpump. And the wife told me I better not get rid of it!!!!!

[This message has been edited by BMTFIERO (edited 04-14-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock