Started on: 01-08-2011 09:18 PM
Replies: 195
Last post by: hnthomps on 01-03-2012 07:47 PM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I'll drive her once more after the brakes are done and then I will start looking at vacuum lines, etc. Thanks for teh heads up!
IP: Logged
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I always do a ECM reset by driving the car until it gets to normal operating temperature. Disconnect the + battery cable for 60 seconds. After reconnecting the battery get it up to 55 MPH and hold the throttle at that single spot for 5 minuets. Keep the throttle as still as possible. This does a learning procedure for the parameters inside the ECM. Other wise it will take around 300 restarts for the ECM to "learn". I had a retired GM Mechanic/Tech instructor tell me about this procedure.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I always do a ECM reset by driving the car until it gets to normal operating temperature. Disconnect the + battery cable for 60 seconds. After reconnecting the battery get it up to 55 MPH and hold the throttle at that single spot for 5 minuets. Keep the throttle as still as possible. This does a learning procedure for the parameters inside the ECM. Other wise it will take around 300 restarts for the ECM to "learn". I had a retired GM Mechanic/Tech instructor tell me about this procedure.

Wow I have never heard that one. Is that on a duke or a 2.8 both?
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Hmm, I never heard of that one before either. But do you know how hard it would be to get the car to 55 and keep the throttle in a steady spot around here? We have no real straightaways, and we have many little hills.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2011 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Hulki just put it up on jacks in the garage! Or if you are like my wife you hit 55 easy...then turn right out of the driveway!
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
It would be impossible to keep it in the same exact spot for that long of time. , but to say, as much as possible.

I have used this on my Duke, 4.3 Blazer, some 2.8 S-10's, and my 2.8 GMC Sierra.
michhiker28

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Direct Link to This Post
This is just a great thread, with a lot of good suggestions, and a great project for a great cause. Haven't been here long, but what a great group of folks.

-MH
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I just disconnect the ECM power plug next to the battery for 60 seconds, plug it back in, and then go for a quick drive above 35MPH. The ECM resets within a matter of 30-45 seconds.

No need to drive it for five minutes at 55 with the throttle as close to the same position as possible the entire time.

This data comes from both experience with a variety of GM vehicles and a GM certified mechanic.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Recieved a call from 98 garage. All brakes are functioning normal. Will need new pads and the rotors resurfaced but did not want to do teh brakes until last thing so they don't sit and rust again. Will have to see if they pan out or I will just do them myself.

I have decided to bring Joel into the build so he can learn. It would be a diservice to have anyone who can't work on a car own a Fiero. this should help him to not be shy about turning a wrench. Now back to the shop to fully check out the engine and a stop at Gooryear where we will hopefully score some new shoes!
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Johnny,
I just found this thread. I as usual do not have a lot of cash to throw your way and since I only have one fiero GT I do not have many parts to send ya. I was wondering if you would be interested in me making him one of my billet aluminum hood badges that is personalized. Not sure what it might say, perhaps just Joel's instead of Fiero on the top of the badge. I would entertain any ideas you might have as well. I would provide the material and the labor as well as the shipping for free. just throwing it out there. I wish there was room for " The Joel Project" on the logo but I dunno how it would fit.... Love what you are doing here and give my best to this young fellow and his family. Peace

Pete

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-29-2011 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Johnny, did you ever get a radio for the car? I have a stocker tape deck with the EQ? I would think that he would want a newer model, but if you want mine, then it is yours for the project.

Also, did the tailight deal workout? He, he, he...

Pete, I will search, but do you have a linkey to your billet emblems? I know that I breezed through it a while ago, but I now have ideas.

Tony
PFF
System Bot
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2011 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
here is a pic of the original looking ones...peace

http://images.fieroforum.co...659_(900_x_1200).jpg

pete
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Pete - that would be a great add! Maybe just a simple "T J P" for "The Joel Project." That would be great. I am going to pick the car up today and bring her back home. Trying to work/score new shoes for her but will at least need to place an old set of rims and tires on her for now. Hard to find 14"s!

Tony - Paul Vargas donated a set of taillights that appear to be in great shape. All I had to do was pay shipping. I will know more when I unpack them and maybe we will end up sending them for a refurb to make them really "wow!". Yes we do still need a radio and original will be a great start! That at least gives him a sense and feel for what the cars roots were and gives him time to save up for one should he choose that route.

I appreciate all the help, comments, and item support we have gotten on TJP. Lacrosse ends soon...15 may is our last tournament. My time should free up loads at that point and then I can start diving into the project more instead of having to dole out the bits and bobs...Katatak when are you coming to help me wrench!?!?!?!?!
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post

johnyrottin

5464 posts
Member since Oct 2007
It also looks like we will be needing a sensor or two. The idle is sitting very high (I am thinking IAC) even when warmed up. Also, the temp gauge is very high. Going to start with a new gasket and thermostat and a flush and fill. OIl and filter change will be necessary as I am not sure what was done at the shop. Then wires cap and rotor will be next. PLugs were done as the old ones were completely siezed in. There is a load of work to be done on this car! It might be cheaper to find one in really good condition, take options off this e and install them on the other. Can't stand to see a Fiero go bad though. There is an 86 down here that is in rough shape as well but runs smooth as silk.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I may have a stock radio in the shop somewhere if I can locate it I will let you know.
what other parts are still needed?
I will look for those as well.
D.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Dean,

What I really need is to get it sorted and then bring it up to you for a once through...LOL

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Johnnyrottin,
I will see what I can come up with here for the logo. I am working on some other runs currently but hopefully will be able to get to this soon. TJP huh..... sounds good to me!! Peace...

Pete

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
I can send the proper decals for the car. Let me kn ow what you need and I will see what I can do

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 1997 BMW 328 85 300ZX

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2011 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
That would be great! Just the standard sticker set for an 84 SE would do fine. Thanks thomas!!! We will be sanding soon and PPG has donated the paint...sanding....one of my favorite things to do...right up there with vomiting and being fired!
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
Any news?
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2011 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Up in DC...
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Tonight The Joel Project got its rims replaced with 84 originals...they are (I think) called hurricane rims...similar to ones on the Trans Ams of the period. Has decent tires on the rims so those will hold Joel over for awhile. Also, after some long thoughts on the topic, I let Joel in on the big secret. He helped me replace the rims this evening and is really excited about the whole thing. We even took it for a ride! Idle is high and a little belt squeal...we'll get there.

Cat is out of the bag and work will start progressing. We have to replace the brake lines on all 4 corners and get an alignment from Goodyear. Then the real work begins! Also, Joel's dad comes home for his mid tour break in two weeks!

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 05-31-2011).]

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2011 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
Then I guess you have two weeks to get it done huh?

Somebody please post the "this thread is useless without pics" banner! I can't right now because I'm posting from my phone.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
No pics today...also remembered that we found (after 98 garage said all brakes were okay) that the right rear brake line was rotted in half! Guess they didnt even look at it. You want it right you have to do it yourself. We will have to replace all 4 of them to be safe.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Today we are going to replace all the vacuum lines and see if we can find the reason for the high idle (around 2000 rpm). I figured given the age of the car and its neglected condition it would be best to just replace the lines. of course, Joel is now involved! He gets to see all the work that goes into a project of this magnitude. It is hot as Hades here in FL we will have to pace ourselves. Last week I Purple Powered the engine bay so it is fairly clean. Onward to the weekend project! (Pics shortly)
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post

johnyrottin

5464 posts
Member since Oct 2007
After we opened her up we found three vacuum lines were not hooked up. I located all to the correct locations (thanks to our reference Fiero, my 84 Indy!) and...no difference....d a mn! Now we need to do sensors. Actually, since one vacuum line comes off the TBI unit and heads to the EGR, if i plug that line (assuming a bad EGR) would it affect the idle? Other than that idea I am on to sensors.
- Orielly's Advanced Rock Auto
IAC - $22.99 - $42.42 - $22.89
TPS - $99.99 - $58.99 - $35.99
MAP - $39.99 - $59.99 - $29.79
O2 Sensor - $19.99 - $19.99 - $14.21

Did I miss any? Anything else that can affect the idle? Better yet, anyone have them kicking around their "extres" bin in the garage? Any way to test the existing ones to figure out which one is experiencing issues?

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 06-05-2011).]

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I know we got a little ahead of ourselves as we need to get the car braking and running 100% before we go to paint but...tonight we installed the trunk cover, the mirror bras, the custom deck vent covers, a new headlight switch, a radio surround, the battery bolt down block, and a couple other bits. We looked at the Mr mikes seats, the Paul Vargas tailights, all the LED lights, the DIYStu wipes, the spare tire cover, and some other bits and bobs. We looked through my old parts bins as well...nothing 4 cyl specific but Joel thoughht it was cool to rummage through. We got a new valve cover gasket now and we will be pulling that off this weekend along with (hopefully) new Ocelot SS brake lines (i will organize that tomorrow and buy them) and brake pads from ORielly's (they donated a load of stuff and time! Need to Joel with me on that purchase and take some pics!) Plus we will change the oil and the belt so we can stop it from squealing like a stuck pig. She is coming together slowly but surely. We finished in the dark but will take pics this weekend in the daylight.

We are still looking for an old vintage working radio, 84 cassette would be primo. Also, is the MAP sensor the same for 4s and 6s?

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 06-06-2011).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2011 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
We always thank the individuals that help, but it is nice to hear about the shops, and stores that are pitching in.

I have an EQ radio from my 87 GT. I can send it to you with the other parts after I am done. Sound good?

Tony
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
That would be awesome Tony! Can you pm me your address so I can send these tailights for the special Kania touch?
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Just ordered Stainless Steel Ocelot brakelines for 100 bucks from the Fiero Store...pads from Advanced Auto were 40 bucks, new banjo bolts and we will get the rotors resurfaced. My first Fiero brake job! Also, got oil and filter, air filter, brake fluid, and an air freshener. Gonna be a busy Saturday at the rottin house!

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 06-10-2011).]

Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Direct Link to This Post
Any updates John?
PFF
System Bot
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Got some delayed projects out of my way here this past week and I think I can get the Mill cranked up to make that emblem as well as some others I have been working on. I am gonna try to get a Cad drawing of the emblem done early this week. How much time do I have here to get this made and sent out to you? I do not want to be the last in line if I can help it. Glad to hear things are progressing. Sounds like it is hot down there in Florida, I remember that heat but I still miss it down there. Keep up the good work on this project Johnny...peace

Pete
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
This project now has a set date of the 7th and 8th of January 2012!

Check out this thread, and post any comments and questions in that thread. The fist post on page 3 of that thread has all the information, that I will do my best to keep up to date.

Here is the new thread:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087705.html
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2012 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
John,

I believe that I have an original radio with the tape player. If it can be tested to make certain that it works, I would be happy to donate it to the project.

Nelson

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

I know we got a little ahead of ourselves as we need to get the car braking and running 100% before we go to paint but...tonight we installed the trunk cover, the mirror bras, the custom deck vent covers, a new headlight switch, a radio surround, the battery bolt down block, and a couple other bits. We looked at the Mr mikes seats, the Paul Vargas tailights, all the LED lights, the DIYStu wipes, the spare tire cover, and some other bits and bobs. We looked through my old parts bins as well...nothing 4 cyl specific but Joel thoughht it was cool to rummage through. We got a new valve cover gasket now and we will be pulling that off this weekend along with (hopefully) new Ocelot SS brake lines (i will organize that tomorrow and buy them) and brake pads from ORielly's (they donated a load of stuff and time! Need to Joel with me on that purchase and take some pics!) Plus we will change the oil and the belt so we can stop it from squealing like a stuck pig. She is coming together slowly but surely. We finished in the dark but will take pics this weekend in the daylight.

We are still looking for an old vintage working radio, 84 cassette would be primo. Also, is the MAP sensor the same for 4s and 6s?

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2012 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Nelson. All I had here at the house was a performance one with speakers and an amp but I had bo sub. I sent it up as we had none but yours would be a better add. Looks in the "Overhaulin" thred for Deans address. Build is this weekend!!!! Going to be a great time!
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2012 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Thanks Nelson. All I had here at the house was a performance one with speakers and an amp but I had bo sub. I sent it up as we had none but yours would be a better add. Looks in the "Overhaulin" thred for Deans address. Build is this weekend!!!! Going to be a great time!

I should be in Atlanta this weekend and will bring the radio with me.

Nelson
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock