Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Petey II: The rebuild of a Formula (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Petey II: The rebuild of a Formula by Hulki U. My-BFF
Started on: 12-29-2010 04:45 PM
Replies: 99
Last post by: Tomski on 09-20-2011 07:53 AM
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
This thread is going to be the official rebuild thread of the 88 Formula that I got a few weeks ago. Long story short, I traded my 2000 Polaris Scrambler for this car, and this car is a basketcase. What drew me to it was Petey, GTGeff's white Formula that he let my wife and I use while we were in MN last year for the Tyler Memorial Show. Ever since driving Petey, I was in love with that car. So fast forward about six months, and I happen upon Petey II while browsing Craigslist. I brought Petey II home the same day.

My plan for this car is simple. Get it back in good working order, and slowly rebuild it while enjoying it. So I will start with the pics of how it looked when I first brought him home:

Missing the Getrag dipstick

First thing I started on was the center console area. The shift bezel looked like crap, and the shifter boot was torn. Luckily, I had a good one from a 4-speed laying around, and I replaced the boot, and painted the ashtray doors:

Before:

Tools of the trade:

After:

-------------------------------------------
12/29/10
-------------------------------------------
I started off replacing the steering column with one that I had laying around. The plastic housing for this column was broken, and no longer usable. So I grabbed my spare column, took it apart down to the three Torx pivot bolts, and put thread locker on them. This will save me from doing this down the road when I'm sure it would be inconvenient.

The damaged old column

While I was putting the new column in, the mailman arrived with goodies! First was a replacement oil pressure sending unit terminal from mattwa, and second was a trim piece that was missing from behind my D/S door handle from John316. And with this delivery came the first part of my Fiero Store shipment.

Replaced my missing horn buttons

Replaced the trunk button and defrost buttons

These were the reason the car would not start, and the oil pressure gauge pegged right:

That's it for today, more work on it tomorrow hopefully.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Great start so far! I was looking at the before and afters, and was hoping to see one of the console / shift surround. Is that gorilla glue good for holding the vinyl back in place? I have cleaned out the swollen foam from mine, but have yet to settle on what to glue it back with, and have it hold permanently.

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Every fiero I know has a gorilla glued trim thing. It holds up good but you have to keep it clamped down for a couple hours. Great work hulki......You have too many fieros though
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
You can never have too many Fieros, Tuzzi! Good luck, Hulki. I look forward to watching you revitalize this Formula as I'm trying to do with mine. But you have much more spare parts lying around. =P
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

But you have much more spare parts lying around. =P

I do have a decent amount of parts, but it's the little things that I don't have. So if anyone has any of the following, please let me know.

1. The clip that holds the lock cylinder in

2. The small harness that goes from the trunk release wiring to the trunk release itself

3. A pin for the torsion bars for the decklid

Midnight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post
Hey Hulki-

My buddy has a 88 Formula just like this thats in almost perfect shape. Hes the original owner and its never seen a winter... If you need some pics let me know.
Im the douchey looking one in the front at Mattwas place this past summer..

[This message has been edited by Midnight (edited 12-30-2010).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
My mom's 88 coupe looks like a forumla except for the rims, sticker and spoiler! That is until you look inside or open the decklid. Maybe we could call it Lil Petey?
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Midnight, your buddy's Formula is exactly that I envision mine turning into. I would love to tear this car down to the chassis and do a complete restoration, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. But I would like to just turn it into a nice, clean driver.

Matt, you need a set of 88 diamond spokes on your mom's car.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Midnight, your buddy's Formula is exactly that I envision mine turning into. I would love to tear this car down to the chassis and do a complete restoration, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. But I would like to just turn it into a nice, clean driver.

Yes I do need those. And as you can see, i saw that Formula in person. Wow, that thing is mint! The coloring is also kinda rare, its a white Formula with the Beechwood interior.
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

You need a set of gold diamond spokes on yours <hint> Hint
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Back On Holiday:

You need a set of gold diamond spokes on yours <hint> Hint

Yes, your gold spokes look great, but on my car they would look
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got to drive Petey for the first time today! The PO told me when I bought the car that he thought the ECM was bad, because the car would start for a second but never really run. After some real diagnosis, I found that one of the pins of the oil pressure sending unit and one of the terminals of the harness to it had both rotted away to nothing. So I replaced the oil pressure sender and harness, as well as the ICM and now it runs out very well. When I first bought the car, it was missing the Getrag dipstick, so I feared water and other contaminants might have gotten in there. But thanks to chrishahn87, he let me borrow a spare stick he had until mine gets here from TFS. I drained the transmission, and unbelievably there was no water in the oil. I refilled with fresh 5W-30 (for now until I get Synchromesh) and took her around the block. Let me just say, it runs out very well. The tranny shifts like a hot knife through butter, it's so smooth. The smile on my face was so big, that I had to come back and take Steph for a little ride as well. Overall killer day for me!

Also, I got my shift console finished today as well:

Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidnightSend a Private Message to MidnightDirect Link to This Post

Sweet dude. Like I said if you need any pics of something let me know..
Dakota Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dakota FieroSend a Private Message to Dakota FieroDirect Link to This Post
That shift console looks 100% better, good work.
NCTyphoonKid

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! BTW whats up with the speedometer?
Korey
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NCTyphoonKid:

Looking good! BTW whats up with the speedometer?
Korey

Uhhm, would you believe it's so fast that it does 120 MPH sitting still??? Honestly, I never even noticed it before, I guess I have to look into that as well.
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post

Uhhm, would you believe it's so fast that it does 120 MPH sitting still??? Honestly, I never even noticed it before, I guess I have to look into that as well.

I just thought you had installed line-lock on the front wheels, and did an engine swap that had enough power to spin the tires that fast while sitting still!

.....oh thats right, you have a getrag. It probably wouldnt be able to hold up to that for long.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrishahn87:

I just thought you had installed line-lock on the front wheels, and did an engine swap that had enough power to spin the tires that fast while sitting still!

.....oh thats right, you have a getrag. It probably wouldnt be able to hold up to that for long.

With all of the love you have for Getrags, how could you say such a thing. You must love them, why else would you have had so many?
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

With all of the love you have for Getrags, how could you say such a thing. You must love them, why else would you have had so many?

You got a lot of sh*t to talk... you just joind the getrag family... you still still new to the game

padawan learner

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 01-03-2011).]

N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
You work quickly! Call me a panzy, but I haven't felt like doing stuff to mine in the cold. =P I need to update my thread though. Keep it up, man.
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

You work quickly! Call me a panzy, but I haven't felt like doing stuff to mine in the cold. =P I need to update my thread though. Keep it up, man.

Thatz cuz you and I have real jobs, not unlike Hulki and his boy PK
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
I was finally able to get to fixing the console glove box, which was my biggest pet peeve about the interior. It was pulling apart badly around the edges, and was in bad shape. I am not completely satisfied with how it turned out, but it will do for now.

Before:

During:

After:

chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post

Its NOT LOVE!
And I dont really have that many - I only have one. One at a time.

To me, getrags are like girlfriends in high school.
Go through them frequently, and hopefully you'll eventually find a good one!
Chris
KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Andy! You better have that finished by July..

------------------

1999 GMC Jimmy 2dr 4x4
1985 Fiero GT 3800 N/A ...3800 S/C being rebuilt now.
1984 Fiero Indy #1098 w/ Centerline Wheels,Hooker Tri-y header and Indy Scoop with Strobe's
1984 SE Daily Driver

Matts Mom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matts MomSend a Private Message to Matts MomDirect Link to This Post
SHIFT CONSOLE LOOKS GREAT ANDY! I'll have to try that technique on Matt's car. My first attempt did not hold well. Love the binding clip method! Simple yet extremely effective. Wish I would have thought of that!

Matt's Mom
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrishahn87:
To me, getrags are like girlfriends in high school.
Go through them frequently, and hopefully you'll eventually find a good one!
Chris

Now THAT is something I didn't do. I kept it simple n' single.

Anyway, my mom is correct, that is a great idea as far as gluing the trim pieces back in place. My console glove box door was exactly the same, and I fixed it the same way you did, and it also turned out the same way. Now on my mom's 88 coupe, that door doesn't even say in place, the hinge broke off on it. Lol.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Okay, here's the latest on Petey. The other day I had the upper intake and throttle body off to replace the TB coolant lines, since one of the originals was split. While I had the TB off, I made the mistake of using carb cleaner to clean the TB out. Since I put the intake and TB back on, I now have a very high idle of around 3k. I don't know if I messed up the TB, or if maybe my EGR tube cracked on me, but I need some warm weather to look into this.

Here is what I have been working on at work. I took a spare upper intake and a set of valve covers, completely stripped them, and painted them with a high heat ceramic. They aren't quite finished yet, but this is what they currently look like:

Also, since selling my GT, I have been shopping for things that Petey needed, so here's a group of goods that I have waiting to go on the car:

We've got an IAC valve, TFS floor mats, Rodney Dickman decklid strut kit, RD stainless vacuum line set, new distributor, new AC Delco ICM, new 180* thermostat, new 195* fan switch, backup switch for Getrag, new upper intake gaskets, new DS marker light, and some other things.

Today was the coldest it has been all year, but I just had to go do some work on him. I managed to get the RD decklid strut kit installed (no more 2x4 holding up the decklid).

I also installed the RD stainless vacuum lines

And I also installed my new recovered shift knob from mmeyer86gt/gtp

Then last but not least, when the weather finally breaks, I will be installing this keyless entry system as well.

GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post

Okay, here's the latest on Petey. The other day I had the upper intake and throttle body off to replace the TB coolant lines, since one of the originals was split. While I had the TB off, I made the mistake of using carb cleaner to clean the TB out. Since I put the intake and TB back on, I now have a very high idle of around 3k. I don't know if I messed up the TB, or if maybe my EGR tube cracked on me, but I need some warm weather to look into this.

Idle sensor... My 90 model S-10 did the same thing. I burnt up a clutch to keep it from blowing. I was scared my motor was going to blow. (Eventually it did but not until after I smoked the clutch) Thats what super genius teenagers do. LOL
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GADJet:

Idle sensor... My 90 model S-10 did the same thing. I burnt up a clutch to keep it from blowing. I was scared my motor was going to blow. (Eventually it did but not until after I smoked the clutch) Thats what super genius teenagers do. LOL

I agree with this ^^^, I think the carb cleaner KO'ed the IAC. Or at least messed it up.
Honestly though in my opinion, the TB coolant lines are dumb, and not needed, The TB never froze up on me here, they make it harder to get to the ign module if replacement is needed, makes that area of the engine look more "crowded" then it needs to be, they can leak (like yours did), and it reduces performance by heating up the incoming air. Now I realize this may be moot because you said this is going to be a restoration, but that's just my opinion.

All those parts are looking good! Quick questionm why was a 2X4 needed in the first place? Did a torsion spring break?
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

All those parts are looking good! Quick questionm why was a 2X4 needed in the first place? Did a torsion spring break?

They weren't really broken, but the DS pin had come out while the PO had the car, so the rods were no longer in their places. After I got two pins to put in, I tried re-seating the torsion rods. I deemed those POS things to be too dangerous to mess around with, so I took them out completely.

As for the cooling tubes, they are coming out when I go to put the other intake and valve covers on. I want a garage so bad I can taste it, but I won't be getting one back until Kevin flies the nest someday down the road. But I like having him here, so I would rather not have the garage than to have him leave home.
John Miller

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John MillerSend a Private Message to John MillerDirect Link to This Post
Hey, what did the gatekeeper say?
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by John Miller:

Hey, what did the gatekeeper say?

Well, I remember the gatekeeper asked you if you were dropping Jr.'s Fiero off at my house. She's no stranger to Fieros, she sees me bring one through the gate all the time. Is that what you meant about what the gatekeeper said?
GTGeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post

Some pictures of the original "Petey" to serve as inspiration.

Pip took a poop on me and has quit working so I will try more later.
Jeff
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTGeff:

Some pictures of the original "Petey" to serve as inspiration.

Jeff

Ah, thanks for that! I have already checked the DMV website and "PeteyII" is available, and will be my plate when I go to register. Hopefully, Petey, and PeteyII will be together at the Tyler show in July. My fingers are crossed.
John Miller

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John MillerSend a Private Message to John MillerDirect Link to This Post
Yes it is! I can just see her eyes rolling back as you pull thru. I laugh as I think about it.
GTGeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffDirect Link to This Post

One for Stef.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
I had a little bit of time after I got home from the PA Auto Show, so I put my center console area back together, and threw a little ArmorAll at it.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Vernon8360

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2011 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Direct Link to This Post
In my best Ricardo Montalbán voice: Hulki, I can call you Hulki can't I, you are doing marvelously.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2011 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Well... his name is Andrew...
Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
I was planning to work on Petey today, but the rain had other plans for me instead. But I did manage to get my new LED bulbs installed for the front parking/turn signal lights. These are 60 SMD switchback LED 1157 bulb replacements, and they look great! Here's the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...NX:IT#ht_6546wt_1165

And here's the video:

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock