Started on: 01-31-2010 11:18 AM
Replies: 118
Last post by: Racer_JT on 02-23-2011 07:54 PM
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Planning for the 2010 Run For The Hills has already begun. The event dates will be:

September 17-Arrival. Visit local attractions if desired.
September 18-Run For The Hills
September 19-Depart

We will be returning to Asheville, North Carolina and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Mark your calendars and make your plans to be there.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
We will be doing a shakedown run for RFTH 15 this Saturday, June 19. Anyone in the Georgia area, we will be meeting at Sharon Baptist Church at Exit 126 off I-85. We will be departing around 7:30AM and should arrive at the Ingles on Brevard Road just west of I-26 in Asheville, NC around 10. We will be meeting some NC folks at that location.

You're welcome to join us. Bring your FRS radio and post here so I know how many route sheets to bring.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2010 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Count me in. I will have something with good tires to drive
D.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Many of the people who have driven this run said that it was better than Tail of The Dragon.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Man, I remember when this first started! Too funny...
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2010 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post
How is this run? like a high speed lead and follow or cruising through Blue Ridge and town? I went through Blue Ridge parkway about 6 months ago for the first time and remember thinkin "going through here with my Fiero must be a lot of fun!
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
Well? Well? How was it.
I'm wanting to join the fun this year. Tell us about the route please.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
The run will not be on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The maximum speed limit on the Parkway is 45. We try not to get under that except at traffic lights and stop signs. Our path will take us from Asheville up to Old Fort and Marion. From there we'll go up and over the mountains to Micaville, then to Burnsville. Lunch in Burnsville then we hit the back mountain roads again, going through the Mt. Pisgah National Forest over toward Spivey Mountain, Rocky Fort, into Tennessee, through Hoot Owl Holler, back into North Carolina and Hot Springs, working our way back toward Asheville.

Except for the first 25 miles to get up to Old Fort, the roads are all two lane. They are well maintained. Beginning in Marion, there are very few straight sections, and many many 180 degree curves. Many of the roads run alongside rivers and follow the river's course when we are in the lower elevations. You can drive The Run at your own pace, as long as you aren't holding anyone back. For that reason, we usually let people assign themselves to one of 3 groups. The lead group, sometimes called The Maniacs, is generally the ones who want to drive the fastest and have engines other than the stock Fiero engine. I say generally because you often find TopNotch right in the midst of them with his Duke Coupe. You would want to be sure that all your suspension, tires and brake parts are in good condition. A failure could cause some major problems, and phone service to call for aid is almost non-existent in the back hills.

The second group is a little less agressive, but still more so than the tourist/sightseers who bring up the rear. Each participant has a route sheet but one of our staff will be with each group to keep everyone on track. We use FRS radios for car to car communications in case of a breakdown or to warn of police activity.

This particular run is about 185 miles and including lunch, we'll be out for about 7 hours. I've set up a gas stop and a lunch stop. I'm still working on the event hotel and Saturday night dinner.

We usually have a fund-raising raffle of Fiero items donated by the various Fiero parts vendors and participants, on Saturday night, but I'm not sure if that will take place this year. It hasn't been decided, yet.

Here's a link to the Georgia Fiero Club website at www.gafiero.org On the bottom of the home page, click on the RFTH 2008 link or http://www.gafiero.org/rfth13.shtml to get an idea of what the run is like.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2010 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Time for a countdown bump.....6 weeks to go.

Personally, I was not impressed with Tail of the Dragon. Seems too commercialized. I enjoyed the other roads in last year's run much better. The route this year will definitely get the adrenaline flowing.
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2010 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like I'll probably be hanging out in the middle pack, for two reasons:

1) Never been on the run before and never done much "performance driving" with the Fiero on public roads.

2) Less chance of getting pinched by police for spirited driving.

And I might wind up dropping back to one of the other groups if I have to make another stop (or more) for gas and/or restrooms.

Does this run have any very steep down-slopes, where concerns about brakes heating up and/or the need to do transmission breaking is necessary?

I'm hoping to be apart of it. A lot depends when I get my car back and if the A/C is charged and working.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2010 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
There are uphill and downhill turns. Lots of braking and downshifting. We start out the twisties by climbing up the side of the Blue Ridge Mountains and going underneath the Blue Ridge Parkway, then we descend the other side of the mountain. Lots of 180 turns, mostly curves and very few straights, but when there is a straight, it usually is terminated by sharp curves. That's just the first 90 miles. There's another 95 beyond that. You should have good brakes, ball joints and tie rod ends on the car.

You can get a bit of an idea what the run is like for the front groups by going to www.gafiero.org and clicking on the Run For The Hills 2008 pictures and video link. Those videos were shot on more level ground.
Tinton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2010 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
I'll try to be there in my '88GT. I just hope the suspension's in good shape, I'll go get it checked out in the next week or two and find out. When I go over bumps the passenger-front suspension seems to be a little loose, even though the car handles fine and feels very solid in corners. The steering rack might be a little loose or the car might need new balljoints or something. Other than that the car is in good shape though, I've been waiting to test out my 12" Corvette rotors and ceramic brake pads up in the mountains .

Charlie, you know if Don is planning on attending the club meet this month? My '86 SE is having a cooling problem, I've burped the coolant several times and it keeps overheating. The waterpump/radiator and headgaskets seem to be fine, I'm not sure what to do with the car right now. When it overheats steam comes from the coolant line that goes towards the front of the car from the thermostat, I removed the thermostat and it still does it. When the waterpump blew on the RFTH back in 2006 it was blowing steam out the overflow tank in front, so I don't think its another bad waterpump. I need to get it fixed soon, my MR2 isn't working either so I've had to commute in my '88GT to work every day .

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tinton (edited 08-06-2010).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
The event hotel this year is the Fairfield Inn by Marriott, located near Biltmore Square Shopping Center. Biltmore Square Shopping Center is on Brevard Road and the hotel is just across the road. The rooms, with 2 beds are priced at $100 per night. Regular rates are $130 per night. You must reserve your room by phone and ask for the Georgia Fiero Club rates. If there are any questions, ask for Kim, the manager. Our prices will be offered through September 7 then they will return to the regular seasonal prices.

Here is a link to the hotel, for informational purposes only. Please do not reserve your room through their webpage links. You will not get the special Run For The Hills rates.

Hotel information is
Fairfield Inn at Biltmore Square
11 Rocky Ridge Road
Asheville, North Carolina 28806 USA
Phone: 1-828-665-4242

http://www.marriott.com/hot...uth-biltmore-square/
fieroboom

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboomClick Here to visit fieroboom's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroboomDirect Link to This Post
Wow, flashback... I went to Brevard College for a year, and used to cruise the Blue Ridge Parkway in my '86 GT ALL the time! Wonder if I can get this '87 Coupe up to snuff by then...
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2010 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
You can order event Tshirts until September 4. Check the Georgia Fiero home page at www.gafiero.org for your paypal link.

Adult Small thru XL are $25
Adult 2X are $26
Adult 3X are $27

If you'd like to mail a check or postal money order for your shirts, make it payable to Georgia Fiero Club

Georgia Fiero Club
287 Park Place
Auburn, Ga. 30011-3035

All shirts will be delivered at the event.
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
Is that $25USD each for the T shirts?
+ shipping

Originally posted by fierofool:

You can order event Tshirts until September 4. Check the Georgia Fiero home page at www.gafiero.org for your paypal link.

Adult Small thru XL are $25
Adult 2X are $26
Adult 3X are $27

If you'd like to mail a check or postal money order for your shirts, make it payable to Georgia Fiero Club

Georgia Fiero Club
287 Park Place
Auburn, Ga. 30011-3035

All shirts will be delivered at the event.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by proff:

+ shipping

Yes, that's correct.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by proff:

+ shipping

Actually, no shipping -- the shirts will be delivered at the event.
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
Was planning on going this year, but my vacation overlaps those days
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Just 5 more weeks. Get your reservations made and your shirts ordered.
PFF
System Bot
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2010 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Ok, all
the run for the hills that the Ga. Fiero club has been doing for years now is just about the most fun you can have in your car with your clothes on
these are the roads that were made for your car so come join us and fall in love with your car all over again.

what can be better than great people, roads and the wonderfull town of Ashville, Nc. ?

come join us you will never stop talking about how much fun you had.

as many of you know I only do a few shows a year and this is one of them and the best part it is in my own back yard
D.

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
I'll be there! This is a must attend event for anybody who likes to get together with great Fiero enthusiasts for a fun day of spirited driving through some of the best scenery in the Southeast(not that I ever get much of a chance to see it). I like to be where all of the action is; that's why I follow Dean.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

I'll be there! This is a must attend event for anybody who likes to get together with great Fiero enthusiasts for a fun day of spirited driving through some of the best scenery in the Southeast(not that I ever get much of a chance to see it). I like to be where all of the action is; that's why I follow Dean.

LOL! thanks Tom! I will most likely be in an auto this year but I will see what I can do to bring a little action for you.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Check out http://gafieroclub.org/bbs/index.php?topic=591.0 to see what will be up for raffle this year. In addition to the automotive items, there will again be a set of 6 limited edition coffee mugs with the event logo and information.

It's getting close. Time to find out.....

WHO'S GOING TO RUN FOR THE HILLS 15?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12810 posts
Member since Jan 2002
I just noticed that I hadn't posted the restaurant for the Saturday evening dinner. It's the Stone Ridge Tavern.

http://www.thestoneridgetavern.com/menu.html
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Even though we (Fiero Fiberglass) will not be able to attend, we sent a little something for the door pize/raffle.

Have a safe time and post lots of pics.

------------------

Click here for all your Fiberglass part needs

88_4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_4mulaSend a Private Message to 88_4mulaDirect Link to This Post
O.K. Folks...

I'm in charge of the raffle..Here's what I' ve got so far...

Box of goodies coming from The Fiero Store ( they allways send plenty of items)...Thanks Matt.

For those that want to put in a better set of injectors( I perfer the Bosh type3): Fuelinjectorconnection.com has sent us not 1 but 2 gift certificates for a complete set of injectors!! ($160 value) .

Thanks goes to Jon Banner.

For the Notchback drivers...Paul McKibben of Fierosails.com is donating a gift certificate for a pair of notch back sail panels for Coupe, SE,or 85GT.

Thank you Paul!

For the people that want to personalize there car...The guys at Fiero Fiberglass is sending us a $50 gift certificate!!

Thanks Jim.

And my company SewPro Embroidery..will be providing shirts and caps as always.

Thats all that have responded so far..When I here from others I will post them as well

Keep these people in mind when you need something for your Fiero!

see below for more!

[This message has been edited by 88_4mula (edited 08-31-2010).]

carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Wow, that's quite a list of goodies already!
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2010 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I am working hard to have a car ready for the run.
but I will be their.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2010 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
We are cramming to finish the 3400 swap....but even if we don't make it, we have the convertible to back us up. We will definitely be there, and Chris will definitely be bringing the Lotus again.
PFF
System Bot
88_4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2010 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_4mulaSend a Private Message to 88_4mulaDirect Link to This Post
O.K. Another Surprise...Mr Mikes.com has sent in a Gift Certificate for a pair of leather Sunvisors (your color of choice)

Thanks Mike!

[This message has been edited by 88_4mula (edited 08-30-2010).]

carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88_4mula:

O.K. Another Surprise...Mr Mikes.com has sent in a Gift Certificate for a pair of leather Sunvisors (your color of choice)

Thanks Mike!

As if I wasn't already going to show up, but I definitely need these. I'll be buying a bunch of tickets!
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2010 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I better get my butt in gear and get my car back together soon. I have been slammed with other peoples cars that it is hard to find time to work on mine.
the metal work part of the chop is done and most of the glass work is as well. I just need to finish it and put the car back together.
if not I will just have tofind something else to drive but I will
D.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2010 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Got my hotel room reserved. Got yours, yet?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Just Three Weeks to go. You may never get another chance like this RFTH.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
If you haven't ordered your tshirt, you need to do it quickly. I talked to the printer and they can take orders until Sept. 7. You can order either by mail or through our link on the home page. There will be no tshirts available at the event, nor after the event. The only shirts being printed are shirts that are prepaid.

Online at www.gafiero.org

By Mail, make checks or money order payable to

Georgia Fiero Club
287 Park Place
Auburn, Ga. 30011

CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Thanx for the final warning....been putting off ordering these. Got my two ordered.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Just ordered my two.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
As of noon today, only three of our block of rooms have been reserved. You only have until Sept. 7 to take advantage of the discounted club rates.

The club will be providing some items based upon the number of rooms reserved. Don't be late.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock