My Rust-Oleum paint job by BLK 86 FSTBAK GT
Started on: 11-02-2006 08:36 PM
Replies: 354
Last post by: Arizona85GT on 01-15-2011 11:32 PM
multmigs

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for multmigsSend a Private Message to multmigsDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, don't take the torque rods off if you can, I almost took my hand off doing the same, just take the side bolts off and you're all set, mark around the bolts and plates with something like a sharpee so you can put it back on easier. the bolt holes for the wings are definately different and these guys are right on saying do the hole drilling first, I'd say put it all together so you know it sits on there like you want it to, then take it all apart and go crazy... We all feel your pain as far as the cold goes, you shoulda got some pictures of yourself trying to lay on the windshield etc, otherwise keep pluggin away you're doing great and as you can see we all love reading about each other's insanity....

I OWN PAGE 8!!!!!

[This message has been edited by multmigs (edited 03-08-2007).]

IP: Logged
BekaintaFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BekaintaFunkSend a Private Message to BekaintaFunkDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys! me and Jerry are going to do all sorts off stuff tonight! i plan on getting the deck lid started and tonight is continuing on with the head replacing. hopefully all goes well... it looks like someone put white chocolate in my oil!

so now, i dont know if Jerry knows how to get the wing on but i dont... could someone explain pleaaase
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Place a few inches of 3M blue masking tape or similar on the decklid where the wing stands will go.

Place the spoiler on the decklid, with the spoiler gaskets at the bottom of the studs so the gaskets are laying on the decklid, and CAREFULLY place it so it is in the correct position, take measurements!

Trace around the spoiler gaskets with a black marker

Remove the wing leaving the gaskets. The holes in the gaskets are where the new holes need to be drilled. Mark these holes with a marker and remove the gaskets.

SLOWLY drill the holes, not applying too much pressure to the decklid.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2007 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerDirect Link to This Post
If you have a chance do not use your deck lid with the luggage rack. We did this to my sons car and where we filled the holes for the luggage rack these are now popping back out from opening and closing it. I bought him a new lid and will attach his wing to that. It's sad because the old lids paint is great but the holes are popping out making it look like crap!
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnDirect Link to This Post
if you taper the holes on the inside as well as the outside and use the right filler (not bondo) then the holes will never come back out. I did it a couple times with not a single failure years later.

edit: forgot to mention i did my truck. it needs another coat of black and some more sanding and buffing.

This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

wanted to test it on the truck before trying the fiero

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 03-16-2007).]

FieroOilAnalyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2007 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageDirect Link to This Post
You all are inspiring me to try this method on my Cherokee. I figure since it is currently white, I should be able to repaint it with white and simply make it look better. Almost can't go wrong. well, maybe.
never2old

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for never2oldDirect Link to This Post
Anybody know what shade of red { in Rustoleum} the original paint is on a 86 SE?
HI-TECH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 123
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HI-TECHClick Here to visit HI-TECH's HomePageSend a Private Message to HI-TECHDirect Link to This Post
the whole key is in the sanding.....

it seems to look alot better on trucks...anyways i used a really really fine pad of scrachbright and 3 coats of wet sanding with rattle can primer, the ol lady did the line for me. i think it turned out really well i get complements all the time.

[This message has been edited by HI-TECH (edited 04-02-2007).]

David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
bekaintafunk, your comment about white chocolate in your oil leads me to believe you have a leak somewhere letting coolant into the oil. Have you checked that out or did I miss it elsewhere? At any rate don't run the engine until that issue is resolved. I enjoyed your pics from Daytona, looked like you were having a good time. I trust the journey was all you hoped it would be?
86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2007 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David DeVoe:

bekaintafunk, your comment about white chocolate in your oil leads me to believe you have a leak somewhere letting coolant into the oil. Have you checked that out or did I miss it elsewhere? At any rate don't run the engine until that issue is resolved. I enjoyed your pics from Daytona, looked like you were having a good time. I trust the journey was all you hoped it would be?

very good idea to not run the engine, especially if its started to sound like this: "tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick" However, if it is dewish outside (and I dont mean green and sticky) then you could just have condensate in your oil (if it was ran for just a short time) in which case running the engine untill it gets nice and warm and boils the crap out of your oil would be ok. Maybe you can help diagnos this. Did it taste like white chocolate? Or did it taste like ethelyne glycol?
BekaintaFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2007 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BekaintaFunkSend a Private Message to BekaintaFunkDirect Link to This Post
hah, yea we fixed that a few weeks ago. got a new head for my baby. everythings running fine, only problem from the daytona trip was a small hole in a coolant line and a tire problem which was fixed if you check my "Alexs 84 SE project thread" you can know whats goin on over here.
PFF
System Bot
Icelander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2007 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IcelanderSend a Private Message to IcelanderDirect Link to This Post
Bump for status. Any new pics? How's it going?

------------------
Kendall (Icelander) Whitlatch
'85 Fiero 2M4 - 5spd Isuzu
'67 LeMans/GTO clone 6.5 litre TH400
All the rest aren't Pontiacs, so what does it matter?

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2007 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Alex's Fiero was finished and I saw it at Carlisle. It didn't look too bad from a distance, but it needs a lot more finishing to be able to seen up close. A factory finish paint job it ain't.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 05-09-2008).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2007 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Jerry and Alex have parted ways. Her Fiero was finished and I saw it at Carlisle. It didn't look too bad from a distance, but it needs a lot more finishing to be able to seen up close. A factory finish paint job it ain't.

It had one coat and hadn't been sanded yet, others have had better luck but there is still a lot of work. I think it was still snowing when they put that coat on
I think you could do your own body work and get someone to shoot your car and have it come out better. But if you have the time and don't have any money I think its a good alternative to pealing paint.
ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
bump
pontiacman63383

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2008 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacman63383Send a Private Message to pontiacman63383Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by BobadooFunk:

this is the way we wash our stuff, wash our stuff
this is the way we wash our stuff so early in the morn-ing

HA HA thats great thats the same way i cleaned/wetsanded my fender i painted which went from this

To this

ps. isn’t that the ugliest couch you have ever seen, my girlfriend hates it.

86_fiero_gt_92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2008 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86_fiero_gt_92Send a Private Message to 86_fiero_gt_92Direct Link to This Post
i showed this to my dad and he burst out laughing. and told me the story of his old nisan pickup painted my a roler, hi said it comes out very rough. after i showed his some pics he said that it looked allot better then his truck

looks like u guys and gals realy perfected painting a car with a roler. add more updaes
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
iam trying this paintingstyle myself atm
a friends formula needs a fresh paint so i thought of this thread

first layer not sanded yet but very good result , better than my first spray paintjob years ago
i calculate 30-40 Euro for complete car and about 100hrs of work at least
------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE
1999 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LX LPG

*** nuclear winter cures global warming ***

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 03-10-2008).]

Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
pics aren't working for me
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
uploaded the pix to pff

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 03-10-2008).]

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2008 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
overnight drying , then 2nd layer

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE

PFF
System Bot
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
after 5 Layers and wetsanding between finally wetsanded with 2000, polished then and ....

------------------
1984 Fiero Sport
1987 Fiero
1984 Fiero SE

30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
A fellow coworker painted his jeep's exterior with Rhino Liner.

He wasn't too concerned about gloss or smoothness.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

iam trying this paintingstyle myself atm
a friends formula needs a fresh paint so i thought of this thread

first layer not sanded yet but very good result , better than my first spray paintjob years ago
i calculate 30-40 Euro for complete car and about 100hrs of work at least

Cool, hard Bondo on the most flexible & likely to be flexed surface. When it does flex the Bondo won't & the paint will crack.

Rather, one should use a flexible epoxy.

daurand

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daurandSend a Private Message to daurandDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

after 5 Layers and wetsanding between finally wetsanded with 2000, polished then and ....

What color is that?

------------------
Looking to BUY a Fiero

Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
iam afraid u wont get it over there , but its called "Schöner Wohnen" its an acryl paint RAL 2010 Signal Orange

btw car is nearly done now , final wetsanding needs to be done

Fieroracer87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroracer87Send a Private Message to Fieroracer87Direct Link to This Post
im starting my first coat this weekend....i just have a few spots that i have to fix from rock damage....no biggie tho..the hard part is im painting my car similar to that model car with the greenhouse black then above the molding smoke gray then back to black below the molding....is there someone out there that makes a molding with a silver or gray line running the center...i thought i saw a picture of a car with it once
BekaintaFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BekaintaFunkSend a Private Message to BekaintaFunkDirect Link to This Post
aww i remember when i did the rustoleum... some interesting times...
Fieroracer87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2008 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieroracer87Send a Private Message to Fieroracer87Direct Link to This Post
well tomorrow i get to start on finishing up my prep work for the paint. I finally got around to put my new steering wheel, column, dash, exhaust, and o2 sensor today(those springs on that muffler sucked putting back on..on the otherhand, the car started right up after 3 years of not moving at all ). i'll be waking up really early to get a start on the rest of my filling and smoothing.pictures to follow
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Bumping this thread of great info to get some insight on how this paint has held up. Seems to good to be true...
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
did another one
before:

after:

[This message has been edited by Fieromaniac (edited 10-14-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
...so, what have you guys done to keep the paint from 'flashing'????

My experience in the past with using this paint has been, sure it's nice and shiny now, but after a few months to goes dull (and this has been in an indoor enviroment, never mind one outside).

...enquiring minds want to know...
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post
the paint i used ( schoener wohnen , acryl paint so no rustoleum but the red cars paint was 50€ plus wetsand and polishstuff )
is UV stable so it dont bleach out

the orange for example has the same intensity like the day i rollered it .
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

...so, what have you guys done to keep the paint from 'flashing'????

My experience in the past with using this paint has been, sure it's nice and shiny now, but after a few months to goes dull (and this has been in an indoor enviroment, never mind one outside).

...enquiring minds want to know...

All you people that painted your cars with the rustoleum, did you have the problem like stated above?

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to some bad info my brother and I tested it on a hood and couldn't get the bubbles out(to thin) it has since been on a car sitting in the sun, we haven't noticed any fading yet.
86stealthfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2009 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86stealthfieroSend a Private Message to 86stealthfieroDirect Link to This Post
i havent noticed any fadeing in the paint but i am haveing problems with getting the shine. i painted mine yellow maybe thats why it doesnt reflect as much

------------------

nathrak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nathrakSend a Private Message to nathrakDirect Link to This Post
Bump for any updates from anyone who has done this and can give any updates on how it looks a year or more later? Happy with the final outcome?
Docs87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Docs87gtSend a Private Message to Docs87gtDirect Link to This Post
no way! did i read this right? this is a roller paint job? looks awesome must have been alot of sanding?
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. You read it right. There's another really good thread on this. Call like "My $50 paintjob" or something, IIRC. Was yellow with red stripes.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Member "Dudeus" did his car that way. Here is the $50 thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/070222.html
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock