Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  HID Install in F1F 90mm headlights (Lots of Detail Pics!) (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
HID Install in F1F 90mm headlights (Lots of Detail Pics!) by randye
Started on: 02-11-2010 05:38 PM
Replies: 103
Last post by: randye on 01-11-2011 01:57 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I sent randye a pm regarding the ribbed side marker lights. I'll pm you Oslo
IP: Logged
zigaroo

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zigarooSend a Private Message to zigarooDirect Link to This Post
When I first saw the side markers on randye's car I knew I was looking at a definite buy.

Though I certainty hope they'll work with a notchie. My Formula needs some LED love.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I had a minor issue with my HID bulb on the driver's side.

Last night, on my way into Detroit Lakes for the Shipman funeral today, my driver's side lamp started acting funny, and I was getting a yellow hot spot in the light pattern.

I pulled over, and found that the plastic bulb base had lost one of it's "ears" on the twist locks where it inserts into the keyed opening on the lamp assembly.

Be sure that you check yours and that they positively lock. The stock H9 bulbs use metal ears.

Other than that, I am still in love with my HIDs, and you will be too once you get them aimed.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

I had a minor issue with my HID bulb on the driver's side.

Last night, on my way into Detroit Lakes for the Shipman funeral today, my driver's side lamp started acting funny, and I was getting a yellow hot spot in the light pattern.

I pulled over, and found that the plastic bulb base had lost one of it's "ears" on the twist locks where it inserts into the keyed opening on the lamp assembly.

Be sure that you check yours and that they positively lock. The stock H9 bulbs use metal ears.

Other than that, I am still in love with my HIDs, and you will be too once you get them aimed.

Thanks for the heads-up!
I noticed when I installed the bulbs that they didn't have the same metal tabs as the halogens, but mine seemed to lock fairly securely into the modules.
You locking tab didn't *melt* off did it??
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Thanks for the heads-up!
I noticed when I installed the bulbs that they didn't have the same metal tabs as the halogens, but mine seemed to lock fairly securely into the modules.
You locking tab didn't *melt* off did it??

Nope. It is a clean break. Looks like it may have been a weak spot in the plastic, or a crack that was there from manufacturing.

I distinctly remember being very careful when locking them in, as I was worried I'd damage the bulb itself. It locked securely when I first put them in. I have not pulled the bulb out since first installing, even to modify the shields. You can separate the back of the housing from the front which stays mounted in the buckets.
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2010 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Synthesis, thanks for the heads up - I can assure everyone that this is the first report that I've ever heard of the bulb base having any issues (out of hundreds of bulbs). They are actually very strong, and you must have gotten lucky to have an issue or something!

I sent you the 6000K bulbs the other day, did you receive them?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2010 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oslo:

Synthesis, thanks for the heads up - I can assure everyone that this is the first report that I've ever heard of the bulb base having any issues (out of hundreds of bulbs). They are actually very strong, and you must have gotten lucky to have an issue or something!

I sent you the 6000K bulbs the other day, did you receive them?

I am not at home for the weekend. I will be home tonight, and finally off of my phone browser lol...

Can't even check PMs on the phone

I was planning on getting in touch with you on the bulb, but again, no PMs.

I love the lights, and was very puzzled by the break.

As stated, the tabs are very strong, and I was completely surprised by this, so I firmly believe it was a freak accident. The bulbs and bases are extremely high quality, and I do not want to cause anyone to question a purchase of this product.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Received my 6000k bulbs.

Very big difference. Better visibility in my opinion. I will eventually have to order some 4,500 or 5000k lamps from you as spares.

I will review them in my original thread.

They fit the sockets much better than the original lamps. These are the Philips bulbs and fit a lot more snugly.
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Hey randy any night shots ?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Hey randy any night shots ?

Are you kidding??!!
Have you been outside this evening?
It's COLD out there!
I'm very delicate and can't tolerate cold well at all.

I'm working on getting some videos and some still night shots up soon.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Nice. I was going to head out shortly and get some night shots myself.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis

12207 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Not trying to hijack Randye's thread here... But since I have the same HID kit he does, with 6000k bulbs, I figured I'd go get some shots for you...

Forgive the shaky cam, it is cold outside.

The first shot is at an angle, and shows the light pattern. On the stock light cutoffs, there is no lift in the pattern on the left side. I modified my shields a tiny bit, and I am still tweaking, so I DO have a lift on the left side. Normally, this would be perfectly flat. Also, note that Hella intentionally moves the cutoff shield out of the focus of the projection lens to help soften the pattern for halogen lamps. I will be tweaking the focus on this to sharpen the pattern a little bit.
Yes, I am at an angle, because I wanted to get the full pattern, at a stretch.

This one shows the lift of the pattern in the center and to the right. This allows the right side of the road to be well lit at night. Yes, the pattern tapers a bit, again due to my shield mods. I will be remedying this very shortly. There is a small amount of taper from Hella in the light pattern. This is caused by the cutoff being out of focus.

Square on to the wall. You can see the pattern on the left. Again, not a sharp delineation because of the focus of the lens and shield.

Vanity shot..

The light from the 6000k lamps is almost pure white..

Another front angle..

One more vanity shot.

Blurry shots... Low beam HID lows only.

High beam, Halogen + HID Lows
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Not trying to hijack Randye's thread here... But since I have the same HID kit he does, with 6000k bulbs, I figured I'd go get some shots for you...

Forgive the shaky cam, it is cold outside.

You're not hijacking anything.
Happy to have your expertise on this...and the photos!
Please feel free to add anything you want.

One of the things I noticed is how the light from the halogen high beams looks so "yellow" now compared to the 6000k HID bulbs.
I'll add my photos, (with unmodified cut-off shields), soon.

I told you its cold outside tonight!
30F tonight here in the Tampa, FL area....that's downright "Arctic" as far as I'm concerned.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-25-2010).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Any update yet on the price and availability of the side markers ??
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Any update yet on the price and availability of the side markers ??

You will need to inquire with Oslo on that.
He's handling it from here on out, and I don't know what progress he's made right now.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
Apparently someone has tried to contact him about it several times with no response.

i will try.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-10-2010).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Apparently someone has tried to contact him about it several times with no response.

i will try.

Hmmmmm..
That's not good.
I'll try to see what I can find out.
You should have a PM from me regarding some more infomation on this later this evening.
Watch for it....
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2010 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
.....just waiting on parts. Check it out:
http://www.tlg-auto.com/sho...id=92&category_id=28

[This message has been edited by Oslo (edited 03-16-2010).]

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

One of the things I noticed is how the light from the halogen high beams looks so "yellow" now compared to the 6000k HID bulbs.
I'll add my photos, (with unmodified cut-off shields), soon.

Hey randye, great write-up on your install. Did you ever get any pics? Are you still driving with the HID kit and unmodified shields? Any complaints or issues so far? Or anyone else that's done the HID mod have pics of just a plug and play light output with stock shields? Synthesis I know you did as well from reading the threads but I don't want to have to mess around with modifying the shields or anything like that, nice work though.

I have been really considering this mod for my 90mm set-up. Just wondering how happy you are with a straight plug and play mod? Thanks for you input.

------------------

zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the weekday crowd.

------------------

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

Hey randye, great write-up on your install. Did you ever get any pics? Are you still driving with the HID kit and unmodified shields? Any complaints or issues so far? Or anyone else that's done the HID mod have pics of just a plug and play light output with stock shields? Synthesis I know you did as well from reading the threads but I don't want to have to mess around with modifying the shields or anything like that, nice work though.

I have been really considering this mod for my 90mm set-up. Just wondering how happy you are with a straight plug and play mod? Thanks for you input.

Bear with me, home (very) sick today, and doped to the gills...

I actually went back to stock cutoff patterns on both low beams.
Why did I do this you ask?
In my experimentation I discovered that the only way to move the cutoff and the projection lens back into focus to provide the sharp delineation I was looking for, would be to completely replace the lens mounting bracket. The lens needs to be moved CLOSER to the HID lamp module, not further. This would require fabbing a new bracket, not something I have the capabilities of doing.
If it needed to moved further out, or the cutoff shield closer to the lens, I could just space the cutoff further from the bulb using washers, which would move it closer to the lens. This reduced the cutoff line causing even more blur and a reduction in light output.

Spacing the lens out 1/8" further from the bulb is feasible, but this resulted in the same issues as immediately above.
When I moved the lens in using a clamp, I got a very clear delineation with some color shading at the edges of the beam pattern (ranging from red to blue throughout the pattern, this is normal in many cases, as it is a very minimal coloring)... But I did not have the means to make the lens permanent in this position, and it moves the lens back from the front "reflector" ring and leaves a clearly visible gap. You'd get light bouncing around behind the reflector ring. Not harmful, but not optimal..

When the group buy came through, I ordered two extra low beam modules for myself. I restored my low beam modules to unmodified conditions with the HID lamps, and have to say I am still quite pleased with them.
The two "modified" low beam modules will have custom shields made, and will then be utilized as projector driving lights. The cutoff shields will be built to allow a smooth even light pattern all the way across, and the modules will be aimed so that at 50 feet from the car, they have a beam lift of no more than 1 inch above their mounting height.
They will provide great side to side lighting to illuminate the ditches and allow more ample lighting ahead, while still providing the safety that the cutoff shield is known for.
These will also run matched 6000k HID lamps.
PFF
System Bot
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post

Bear with me, home (very) sick today, and doped to the gills...

If it needed to moved further out, or the cutoff shield closer to the lens, I could just space the cutoff further from the bulb using washers, which would move it closer to the lens. This reduced the cutoff line causing even more blur and a reduction in light output.

First off, thanks for replying and I hope you feel better soon.

I was browsing through HIDplanets website trying to get more info. After reading the washer mod threads, I thought that might have been a fix, but I guess we would needs just the opposite after reading what you discovered. From what I read on HID planets site, people seemed to think that the Hella 90mm were a crappy projector and that they did not respond well to HID upgrades, that's what made me wonder how happy you guys were with the HID upgrade. So in reality is the Hella 90mm a crappy projector as far as projectors go, or are the people on that site just really extreme and picky? From the pics you posted it doesn't look like like it does a bad job to me.

Come spring when the weather clears I think I might buy an HID kit and give it a try.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

I was browsing through HIDplanets website trying to get more info. After reading the washer mod threads, I thought that might have been a fix, but I guess we would needs just the opposite after reading what you discovered. From what I read on HID planets site, people seemed to think that the Hella 90mm were a crappy projector and that they did not respond well to HID upgrades, that's what made me wonder how happy you guys were with the HID upgrade. So in reality is the Hella 90mm a crappy projector as far as projectors go, or are the people on that site just really extreme and picky? From the pics you posted it doesn't look like like it does a bad job to me.

Come spring when the weather clears I think I might buy an HID kit and give it a try.

Home sick again today. And thanks, I hope I feel better soon too. This thing is practically killing me.

HID Planet people tend to be extremely picky.
The Hella 90MM projector is built for a halogen lamp, and running an HID lamp in a halogen housing will not provide the ultra smooth, clean crisp light pattern that a true HID housing will. Especially when running "aftermarket" HID kits.

If you have ever sat behind the wheel of a vehicle with true HIDs and then in a vehicle with Hella 90MM Halogen housings with HID lamps, you will see a very big difference. The true HID housings provide a very sharp light delineation, even pattern, and very wide pattern side to side. Almost 180 degrees of light output with the same intensity all the way.

The Hella modules aren't capable of that with HID bulbs, unless you get the true Hella HID modules.
HID puts out a LOT more light than Halogen, and the housings are designed for Halogen's lesser output to optimize the beam pattern to the front of the vehicle with just enough wash up to signs above and to the right of the highway.
With HID in the Halogen housings, you get light saturation in the housing, and can get more light scatter. You have increased the amount of light by 300% with HID lamps vs Halogen lamps. You get more glare, the focal points of the reflector designed for Halogen are completely wrong for HID, and so you get hot spotting, where the front focused beam pattern that Halogen requires is now a very bright area from the HID, and causes more road reflection back to the driver's eyes.

I am pleased with them because there is a noticeable difference in light output, and I can see better at night while not blinding oncoming traffic..
They also look cool. Living in a college town here in WI, when I go through town at night, all of the college kids in their imports turn and stare as I go by...

Would I go back to Halogen low beams? No.
But if I could improve the reflectors, and adjust the focal point of the lens, safely, I would gladly do so.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 01-11-2011).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2011 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

My apologies for the late reply.
I was up north over the holidays and a "victim" of my new Android "smart phone" that, despite it's highly touted internet speed, refused to cooperate while roaming.
But enough about that.....
I'm pleased with the HID mod with the stock unmodified shields. As Synthesis has pointed out, the cut-off deliniation is not as sharp as you would get with proper HID engineered housings, reflectors and shields but it is leaps and bounds ahead of the halogen lights.
I have my low beams aimed a bit lower than the halogen beams were and have not noted any "flashing" by oncoming drivers as a complaint of my lights, so I guess they are not offending others.
Overall, I'm very happy with the upgrade and would not go back to the halogens. Even having them aimed slightly lower to compensate for the cut-off line, I still have excellent bright white light down the road and good illumination of street signs. This mod with the Hella 90mm halogen units is obviously not the optimal solution, but certainly one that, (for the money), is a nice upgrade.
------------------

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-11-2011).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock