Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  HID Install in F1F 90mm headlights (Lots of Detail Pics!) (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
HID Install in F1F 90mm headlights (Lots of Detail Pics!) by randye
Started on: 02-11-2010 05:38 PM
Replies: 103
Last post by: randye on 01-11-2011 01:57 PM
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Ok, now that we have the ballasts mounted its time to put the headlight assemblies back in the car.

Here is the drivers side:

...and here's the passenger side:

Once these were back in place, (not aligned yet), I was anxious to check the clearance with the ballasts.
WHEW! It's closer than I anticipated, but still almost 1 inch to spare at the closest point!

I'm happy these ballasts are so thin, or I'd be relocating them right now...
IP: Logged
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13768 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Time to test the electrical circuits!

I don't have the headlight motors hooked up, but I wanted to check that I have all the HID wiring working...just a quick test....

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY!!

A brilliant flash and these things lit up like an arc welder!!
Yep, they do seem to be working.
Turn them off quickly since they're in the down position, and let's finish this up...
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Time to test the electrical circuits!

I don't have the headlight motors hooked up, but I wanted to check that I have all the HID wiring working...just a quick test....

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY!!

A brilliant flash and these things lit up like an arc welder!!
Yep, they do seem to be working.
Turn them off quickly since they're in the down position, and let's finish this up...

Won't hurt them to be in the down position and powered on.

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Won't hurt them to be in the down position and powered on.

I know.
I just don't want to fade my paint under the hood!
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13768 posts
Member since Mar 2006
A close-up of the clearance with the HID bulb and wiring with the drivers side bucket in the down position:

...and the passenger side:

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-13-2010).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

A close-up of the clearance with the HID bulb and wiring with the bucket in the down position:

Yup. These won't have clearance issues. DOT approved Hella 90mm housings with DOT approved lamps will have clearance problems.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
SUCCESS IS MINE!!

All the wiring is now hooked up, tied down and secured and the lights are just magnificent.
These pics don't do justice to them of course, (camera flash, shop lights, etc.), but they're plenty bright and the 6000K, ("diamond white"), color looks to be just what I wanted.

Oops!
Did a little something "extra" show up in that last photo?

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-14-2010).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13768 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Oops!
I think I just did it again!
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13768 posts
Member since Mar 2006
I'll have to adjust the headlight support frames and align them to the doors next, then we can work on aligning the lights properly.
If all goes well and my time allows, I should have that underway tomorrow and I'll have more photos up.
These HID lights are fantastic. They really help give the Fiero more of an "exotic car" look.

Oops AGAIN!
Did something else "extra" just sneak into this??!!
What the hell is going on here???

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13768 posts
Member since Mar 2006

OK...something weird is going on here!
Are these new HID lights malfunctioning or something???
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13768 posts
Member since Mar 2006

OH NO!!!
It seems to be spreading!
Maybe I need to recheck the wiring!!
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Looks good... How did you do the LEDs? Circuit board or just pin to pin?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Looks good... How did you do the LEDs? Circuit board or just pin to pin?

Neither.
You'll have to talk to "Oslo" about it, or you could spend some more of that tax refund and place your order with TLG now.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Nice!! I like all of the LED lighting, very modern!

One question though, in the turn signal recessed area, I see some LED reflections. Do you have LED strips above the turn signals as well??
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Nice!! I like all of the LED lighting, very modern!

One question though, in the turn signal recessed area, I see some LED reflections. Do you have LED strips above the turn signals as well??

Funny you should ask.
As a matter of fact, I do!
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Funny you should ask.
As a matter of fact, I do!

LED's everywhereee!

I'd be interested in how you wired these up or a little sneak peak into what Oslo has for some new products (from how it sounds)
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

LED's everywhereee!

I'd be interested in how you wired these up or a little sneak peak into what Oslo has for some new products (from how it sounds)

BINGO! You "hit it in one" there doublec4!
You're looking at the prototypes for the newest TLG products.
I'll have to ask that you wait for Oslo to post details, but I can tell you that this is an easy addition to make and it works great.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Awesome

I'd be very interested in these LED set ups. I think I would try and mount the LEDs in the turn signal housing under the turn siginal though.. if it would fit.

Looks great!!
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Awesome

I'd be very interested in these LED set ups. I think I would try and mount the LEDs in the turn signal housing under the turn siginal though.. if it would fit.

Looks great!!

Under the turn signal?...why of course you'll be able to do that!!
In fact, you could even put them under *and* above if you really want to...
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13768 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Sort of gives it an "Audi R8" kind of look don't you think?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I agree. I'm sold.
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

... I STRONGLY recommend that anyone contemplating this conversion to your F1F quad lights also do the conversion to your headlight circuit to allow the low beams to stay on with the high beams.
The thread and diagrams of how to do this are posted somewhere here on the forum and I'll reference a link to it once I find it again. If anyone has it handy, please feel free to post it...

Originally posted in this thread ...

Simplest solution, just add a single jumper wire:

Better solution, use a relay:

Obviously, your HID ballasts would be connected in place of the low-beam filaments in the schematics.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 02-14-2010).]

Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
I am happy to announce the addition of some more cool LED products to the TLG-Auto.com lineup:
Click here:
Fiero LED DRL Kit

Fiero Front LED Accent Kit

The side marker LED kits are just about ready to be posted on the website also. Stay tuned.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Just to wind up a few final thoughts before I get into aligning and adjusting the lights.

You can store your old halogen bulbs in the protective covers that the HID bulbs were packaged in.
You now have spares for your high beams!

...and find a use for that nifty, and now empty, aluminum case that the HID kit arrived in

It might make a nice little onboard tool box for the car or a neat CD storage case.
I'll have to come up with some ideas for it.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-15-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oslo:

I am happy to announce the addition of some more cool LED products to the TLG-Auto.com lineup:
Click here:
Fiero LED DRL Kit

The side marker LED kits are just about ready to be posted on the website also. Stay tuned.

I will be checking your website regularily I might want to order a bunch of this stuff at once!
cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
You do some great work Randye. Very clean. Keep it up.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Oops!
I think I just did it again!

nice work on the side marker lights. i've been wanting to do that mod for a while
but need to figure out the wiring and mounting.
any tips you want to provide.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Tom, there will be a kit at our website very soon with the LED lights, install instructions, wiring and mounting accessories very soon. Stay tuned!

------------------
Top Line Group Automotive
-Aftermarket accessories for the Fiero
www.TLG-auto.com

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
You know, I'm happy that there seems to be so much interest in the marker / turn signal lights.
When I developed them, I was afraid they would look like commercial truck clearance lights on the car.
(no, they're not made from truck or trailer lights...)
Once I had them installed and working it was immediately apparent how much better they look with the molding / belt line of the Fiero than the OEM single bulb markers.
It always seemed odd to me to have those nice long amber and red lenses and then stick that puny little dim 194 bulb smack in the center of them, but then that was the 80's .....

Some of the things I've been doing to my Fiero are simple things that *I* like to think that the GM designers would have done to the car if the technology was available and economically feasible for the car 25 years ago.
I think that the basic body lines and styling of the car hold up well even today, but some simple things like the LED DRLs and LED marker / turn signals can really help "modernize" the look of the car.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post

You know, I'm happy that there seems to be so much interest in the marker / turn signal lights.
When I developed them, I was afraid they would look like commercial truck clearance lights on the car.
(no, they're not made from truck or trailer lights...)
Once I had them installed and working it was immediately apparent how much better they look with the molding / belt line of the Fiero than the OEM single bulb markers.
It always seemed odd to me to have those nice long amber and red lenses with the puny little dim 194 bulb smack in the center of them, but then that was the 80's .....

Some of the things I've been doing to my Fiero are simple things that *I* like to think that the GM designers would have done to the car if the technology was available and economically feasible for the car 25 years ago.
I think that the basic body lines and styling of the car hold up well even today, but some simple things like the LED DRLs and LED marker / turn signals can really help "modernize" the look of the car.

Good call, I like the direction the car is headed in. I wish there was a feasible LED tail light option for the notchback.

Those side markers are awesome though!
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oslo:

Tom, there will be a kit at our website very soon with the LED lights, install instructions, wiring and mounting accessories very soon. Stay tuned!

Oslo, PM sent
PFF
System Bot
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post

Sort of gives it an "Audi R8" kind of look don't you think?

Can you actually see the LED's installed from up there? May I ask why you opted to installing up instead of below the signal light housing? Just curious. I thought about doing the same thing but have not found LED's that I like yet. Which LED's did you end up using. It does look pretty nice.

------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/koolflip

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kooljess:

Can you actually see the LED's installed from up there? May I ask why you opted to installing up instead of below the signal light housing? Just curious. I thought about doing the same thing but have not found LED's that I like yet. Which LED's did you end up using. It does look pretty nice.

I installed them above because I was worried that they would interfere with good visibility of the amber turn signals as seem from head-on.
After testing, I discovered there was no need to worry. The OEM turn signals are plently visible and not obscured by the LEDs
I have also installed them at the botom of the lens and they work just fine there as well. I ended up at the top purely out of personal preference. I just think it's neat the way they reflect off my paint in the recesses and are still semi-hidden. They also make the recesses glow with that distinctive LED white light.
You can sort of see the recess "glowing" in this photo, but it's much more visible in the dark:

You will be able to install these above or below, or *both*, it's up to you.
The kit to do this is already available from TLG-Auto.com

Note: I have new, high gloss, orange pearl paint on my car so the LEDs obviously refelect better than they will on old dull paint and probably differently than they will over non-metallic or pearl paints. They're bright enough that they should work well on any Fiero and not so bright that they are a distraction or hazzard to oncoming drivers at night.
I actually wired mine in with the LED DRLs and have them all on a single switch so I can have them on or off as I please.

kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info Randye...it is most helpful...nice rims by the way...go HP Racing Wheels.

------------------

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I keep checking the TLG website daily to see if Oslo put up the turn signal LED kit yet! I'm anxious to order
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-18-2010 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post

http://www.tlg-auto.com/sho...id=67&category_id=22
http://www.tlg-auto.com/sho...id=68&category_id=22

Edit: Oops. Wrong linkey. I could not find the LED turn signals?

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 02-18-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
lol I saw those, sorry I meant the side marker lights!

I plan on getting the turn signal accent lights and the side marker LED kits!
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

You have a PM
kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post

I would like to get those too if they are available. Can someone let me know....it will be greatly appreciated.

------------------

[This message has been edited by kooljess (edited 02-19-2010).]

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
They will be available very soon. We're trying to figure out if this mod will work with notchback side markers, and also if it matters if are using repro sides or OEM.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock