Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Re-importing a Fiero into the US (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Re-importing a Fiero into the US by yellowstone
Started on: 08-21-2009 04:10 PM
Replies: 147
Last post by: jscott1 on 11-21-2009 01:52 PM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning to ship my Fiero back to the US from Germany after 15 years! I have spent most of the day researching and reading about the costs and requirements re. shipping, insurance, customs, EPA, DOT, registration etc. So far it looks pretty good as I still have a valid TX title and other US documentation.

I'm now trying to find out if the required EPA and DOT stickers/labels are still on the car. That's a bit difficult as the Fiero is in storage in Germany and I'm in Miami...

I know where the EPA sticker is (underside of engine lid) but where is the DOT sticker located on a Fiero? Anyone have a picture?

If the labels are not on the car anymore I need to get a letter from Pontiac with that information and they want almost $200 for that!

U.S. Department of Transportation/National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Motor vehicles not more than 25 years old must conform to the Department of Transportation (DOT) motor vehicle safety standards that were in effect when these vehicles were manufactured. Passenger cars manufactured after September 1, 1973 must also meet bumper standards. The importer must file form DOT HS-7 at the time of entry, indicating whether the vehicle conforms to applicable safety and bumper standards. The original manufacturer is required to affix a label to the vehicle certifying that these standards have been met if the vehicle is intended for sale in the United States. Vehicles that do not bear a certification label attached by the original manufacturer must be entered as a nonconforming vehicle under a DOT bond for one and a half times the vehicle's dutiable value. This is in addition to the regular Customs entry bond.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 08-21-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
redfieroman2

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2009 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redfieroman2Send a Private Message to redfieroman2Direct Link to This Post
cool so now we can ride out
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

I'm planning to ship my Fiero back to the US from Germany after 15 years! I have spent most of the day researching and reading about the costs and requirements re. shipping, insurance, customs, EPA, DOT, registration etc. So far it looks pretty good as I still have a valid TX title and other US documentation.

I'm now trying to find out if the required EPA and DOT stickers/labels are still on the car. That's a bit difficult as the Fiero is in storage in Germany and I'm in Miami...

I know where the EPA sticker is (underside of engine lid) but where is the DOT sticker located on a Fiero? Anyone have a picture?

If the labels are not on the car anymore I need to get a letter from Pontiac with that information and they want almost $200 for that!

U.S. Department of Transportation/National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Motor vehicles not more than 25 years old must conform to the Department of Transportation (DOT) motor vehicle safety standards that were in effect when these vehicles were manufactured. Passenger cars manufactured after September 1, 1973 must also meet bumper standards. The importer must file form DOT HS-7 at the time of entry, indicating whether the vehicle conforms to applicable safety and bumper standards. The original manufacturer is required to affix a label to the vehicle certifying that these standards have been met if the vehicle is intended for sale in the United States. Vehicles that do not bear a certification label attached by the original manufacturer must be entered as a nonconforming vehicle under a DOT bond for one and a half times the vehicle's dutiable value. This is in addition to the regular Customs entry bond.

It shouldent be to hard. I think the label is in the door jamb or most likeley can be obtained by the Vin. if you still have a current texes title they should have no problem letting it back into the us. i would contact the US customes office though.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
@pontiackid86: Thanks but I had a specific question. Does anyone have an answer to it?
dudewithoutfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dudewithoutfieroSend a Private Message to dudewithoutfieroDirect Link to This Post
the dot sticker is on the driverside door, or at least thats were mine is at. hope this helps you finally get that beautiful car back in the states
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Someone has a photo of that sticker? Just to be 100% sure...
redfieroman2

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2009 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redfieroman2Send a Private Message to redfieroman2Direct Link to This Post
im in venezuela so i cant look at my car yellowstone

if not i woulda done it
Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I have them, just give me a sec...

Edit: I'm guessing the bottom sticker is the DOT sticker but I'm not sure. I sure hope its not the top because mine is in pretty bad shape.

The two stickers on my '86 GT drivers door:

Top sticker:

Bottom Sticker:

If you need me to grab some with better resolution just ask. Its the least I can do to repay you showing off your gorgeous wife

[This message has been edited by Alibi (edited 08-21-2009).]

fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
Try this one. You notice that I DON'T have any little black spots hiding the "GOOD STUFF".

------------------
Why fight to be accepted by people you don't actually want to be like?

Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
Oooh, so thats the DOT tag. I wonder why mine is so fugly?
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
Why do you need all that stuff? You have a title and a VIN already?

What do you need to get on the road?

1) Insurance, which you will just need the VIN to get from any insurance provider stateside.

2) Registration. When you bring in a car from out of state (and as far as Florida will know, you're just bringing it over from Texas) all you have to do is get a piece of paper signed that says the VIN is legit so you can be issued a registration (plate)
In order to verify the VIN all you have to do is have an agent sign a piece of paper that says its correct.
I went to Florida's website and found this:
*The VIN must be verified by one of the following:

1. A law enforcement officer from any state.
2. A licensed Florida or out of state motor vehicle dealer.
NOTE: If the VIN is verified by an out of state motor vehicle dealer, the verification must be submitted on their letterhead stationary.
3. A Florida DMV Compliance Examiner/Inspector, DMV or tax collector employee.
4. A notary public commissioned by the state of Florida.
5. Provost Marshal (an officer who supervises the military police of a command) or a commissioned officer in active military service, with a rank of 2nd lieutenant or higher or an LNC, "Legalman, Chief Petty Officer, E-7".

That's it. No worries, mate.
PFF
System Bot
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
So... this was originally a US market car? If so, do you really need to go thru all the car import stuff? If the car was originally produced and sold in the US market, it seems odd you would have to prove it was made to US standards since the original sale of the car in the US is already such proof.

Then again, welcome to the gov't.

Good luck!
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Not as easy as you guys think...

If you are interested, read here:

1) US Customs and border protection: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/...de/importing_car.xml

2) NHTSA/DOT: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

3) EPA: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/

And then there's the export paperwork on the German side and the state paperwork (at least FL is not very difficult).

Don't forget that the US Dept. of Agriculture requires the undercarriage to be free of foreign soil to avoid contamination! No kidding!

All this to protect the US of A from the invasion of the evil foreign spec car! It's kinda funny!

If my Fiero wasn't originally a US car it would be virtually impossible or at the very least extremely expensive!

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 08-21-2009).]

randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

If you are interested, read here:

1) US Customs and border protection: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/...de/importing_car.xml

2) NHTSA/DOT: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

3) EPA: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/

And then there's the export paperwork on the German side and the state paperwork (at least FL is not very difficult).

Don't forget that the US Dept. of Agriculture requires the undercarriage to be free of foreign soil to avoid contamination! No kidding!

All this to protect the US of A from the invasion of the evil foreign spec car! It's kinda funny!

If my Fiero wasn't originally a US car it would be virtually impossible or at the very least extremely expensive!

Might as well also start planning on a custom Florida plate for that car!

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2009 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! Thank you, Randy!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2009 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Good to hear your car is coming back to the USA...that means I should get to see it someday.

As for the foreign soil, I get that requirement, as a load of crazy ants somehow got into Houston and they are taking over the place. They have no natural enemies and are resistant to all forms of pesticides currently in use....(bring back DDT I say)
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2009 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Very cool! Thank you, Randy!

No problemo

You might not want to use "YLWSTN"....It might be confused as meaning "Yellow Stain"

It will be interesting to see what you come up with.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2009 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

You might not want to use "YLWSTN"....It might be confused as meaning "Yellow Stain"

It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Or you could re-register it in Texas...they are promising to go to 8 characters any day now. The website is setup to generate 8 but it won't let you add it to your cart yet.

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2009 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Already suggested and some for fun

And one for Lyen

fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
What about YELRSTN after all it came from TX?

------------------
Why fight to be accepted by people you don't actually want to be like?

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
What if you take the bumpers, wheels, and upper intake off (or some other trivial parts) and import it such that the paperwork says "auto parts" as opposed to "vehicle"?
PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

What if you take the bumpers, wheels, and upper intake off (or some other trivial parts) and import it such that the paperwork says "auto parts" as opposed to "vehicle"?

The problem with that would be hewould have to then get a salvage title.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I have done A LOT of research over the past few days and things look good so far. The shipping itself is less that $800 plus the domestic transport to the harbor in Germany ($300), some paperwork and loading/unloading fees ($150) and insurance ($100). There are no import duties as it's considered personal effects as part of a move.

I'm going to CBP (customs and border protection) tomorrow to ask some more questions. If everything checks out my Fiero may be on a US-bound boat by Sep. 10.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

congratulations yellowstone !

How long has it been since you have seen your baby ?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

I have done A LOT of research over the past few days and things look good so far. The shipping itself is less that $800 plus the domestic transport to the harbor in Germany ($300), some paperwork and loading/unloading fees ($150) and insurance ($100). There are no import duties as it's considered personal effects as part of a move.

I'm going to CBP (customs and border protection) tomorrow to ask some more questions. If everything checks out my Fiero may be on a US-bound boat by Sep. 10.

If I was to try that, and with my luck, the ship would be siezed by pirates and my Fiero would be the first one running around the roads of Somalia!
Lets hope all goes well with the shipment.
I'm looking forward to the next metamorphosis of your car when you're out from under TUV restrictions.
Somehow I don't think that 2.8 motor is going to be in there for long after it hits shore here
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

congratulations yellowstone !

How long has it been since you have seen your baby ?

15 months!
BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to be in Germany this October, if you wait I can just drive it back for you. Should save you some shipping costs.

Brad
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

If I was to try that, and with my luck, the ship would be siezed by pirates and my Fiero would be the first one running around the roads of Somalia!
Lets hope all goes well with the shipment.
I'm looking forward to the next metamorphosis of your car when you're out from under TUV restrictions.
Somehow I don't think that 2.8 motor is going to be in there for long after it hits shore here

More likely Pirates of the Caribbean, ARRRRRR!

Actually, I'm not unhappy with the current engine. At least I know it by now. And there's absolutely no need for more HP in the US. Living in Miami Beach I always see the Porsches, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, BMWs, Aston-Martins, Cobras, Corvettes, Vipers, Bentleys etc. coming by but they go as slow (if not slower, so people can watch them better) as a Yugo! My 2.8 does a great job and (with the CAI and Borla exhaust) sounds awesome. Maybe one day when I completely run out of things to do...
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by BtotheB:

I'm going to be in Germany this October, if you wait I can just drive it back for you. Should save you some shipping costs.

Brad

It's a yellow Fiero not a yellow submarine... :-)

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Another question re. the EPA sticker. I've only seen it under the decklid here (where the big white square is):

Has anybody seen it anywhere else under the decklid or is it always in this spot?
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I know it is your baby but surely you would get a pretty penny for it in Germany. Then again not what you spent perhaps. Good luck with it as it os one of the most favourite talked about cars in the fiero world.

http://images.google.com.au...+gt&aq=f&oq=&start=0
NUMBER # 3 for an image search in google FIERO+GT
PFF
System Bot
Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post

Another question re. the EPA sticker. I've only seen it under the decklid here (where the big white square is):

Has anybody seen it anywhere else under the decklid or is it always in this spot?

Pretty sure it is always there.

chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2009 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
Hey yellowstone, a big brake kit would look pretty cool on your vehicle and I think it would make it look more complete, just a suggestion.

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast
For Fiero updates, visit my site http://educatorstop15.com/fieropage.htm

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2009 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I'm making progress with my planning. The Fiero will get here sometime beginning of November. Since the A/C is not working and this being Miami, that's probably a good idea

Actually, this may be the ship that brings my Fiero back to its ancestral lands:

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2009 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
It's coming by way of Australia? Good luck with the transport. Can't wait to see it.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 09-09-2009).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Now it looks like it's going to be this ship, arriving in Miami on 10/31...

dsnover

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps a little off-the topic, but, I've always admired your car. Love the color, the front end, wheels, etc. Seeing that it has managed to pass German inspection, I'd bet that it is a far bit better in condition than most of the other cars of its vintage in the USA. Do you have a web site with any hi-res photos of your car?
Sphynx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
dsnover

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dsnoverSend a Private Message to dsnoverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sphynx:

http://www.yellowfiero.com

+ for you.....Thanks!
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by yellowstone:

Now it looks like it's going to be this ship, arriving in Miami on 10/31...

Need any help?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock