Started on: 09-16-2007 03:06 PM
Replies: 193
Last post by: josef644 on 08-19-2008 12:39 PM
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I am going to contact Fairchild Industries, Inc tomorrow to see how much a "Beltline Without Stainless Steel Bead Rigid Flocked Lining Rubber Covered" will cost me shipped to my house. They are 96" long, and about 21lbs. I would bet that they have something that we can attach/mount to our metal part of the wipes that will seal out the rain and pine needles. And snow for you snow folks around.

What I need is a piece of an old Dew Strip with just a small portion of the lip still on it. Both of mine are totaly wasted.
If ya have an old one you could send me all I would need would be about two inches or so to find the closest match.
Who knows, if this will get us close maybe we can get us out of the Dew Wipe problem most of us are in.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3.8 SC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
Keep us posted! I am having this dew wipe problem right now. I have been looking for a replacement, from other cars, with no luck. But, I still haven't given up.
The prices that they are going for on E-bay are way to much.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2007 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I am not foolish enough to think that we will find an exact replacement. But if we can get something close. maybe the rear wipe from a Surburban with the rool up rear window, cut or modified. Camaros or who knows what. Thants why I am gonna speak to Fairchield and get us a contact person to send a sample to.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
bump for a send in sample
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2007 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

josef644

6939 posts
Member since Nov 2006
EDITED 10-16-07 PLEASE READ
I got this E-mail yesterday. Please contact, JC Whitney to purchase these.

"Joe Crawford
Since we sent you the above glass channels, I realized that we are providing this to J.C.Whitney in 4 ft lengths. Ethically, then we really shouldn't be selling this to the general public since J.C. Whitney is our distributor. Plus, we really don't have the manpower to be processing a bunch of $50 orders. J.C. Whitney's part number is ML819751 and their 4 ft lengths sell for $14.99. Such a deal we gave to you!

If you have my name and Fairchild's number listed on some website, could you please replace it with the J.C. Whitney information?

Thanks so much!
Cindy Bergstrom" "

Here is the link to the JC Whitney item
http://www.jcwhitney.com/au....x=16&searchbtn.y=15
Please do not call FAirchield to get these.
Joe Crawford

Ok guys I spoke with Cindy Bergstrom at the Fairchild Industries, Inc. and she is sending me a one foot sample of their product #1369. It was the closest to what is on the dew wipes. They are sold 15 96" strips to a carton, at $12.90 a strip, or about $193.50 plus shipping per carton. One 96" strip would make two door strips, one for each side, with some lift over. The one I removed off of my drivers door was 36 9/16" on the nose.

As a side note I used the "remove the upper stops" method to remove both of mine yesterday and it was a piece of cake. About about 15 min's per door. The window knob removal was the hardest part on my doors. They were both Can-Tank-Er-Us.

Here is the link to the product page: http://www.fairchildind.com...products.asp?part=18
This is the old drivers side strip off of my 86. I had about 3" behind the outside mirror, and about 4 inches at the other end of the strip.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-16-2007).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Ok guys I spoke with Cindy Bergstrom at the Fairchild Industries, Inc. and she is sending me a one foot sample of their product #1369. It was the closest to what is on the dew wipes. They are sold 15 96" strips to a carton, at $12.90 a strip, or about $193.50 plus shipping per carton. One 96" strip would make two door strips, one for each side, with some lift over. The one I removed off of my drivers door was 36 9/16" on the nose.

As a side note I used the "remove the upper stops" method to remove both of mine yesterday and it was a piece of cake. About about 15 min's per door. The window knob removal was the hardest part on my doors. They were both Can-Tank_Er-Us.

Here is the link to the product page: http://www.fairchildind.com...products.asp?part=18
This is the old drivers side strip off of my 86. I had about 3" behind the outside mirror, and about 4 inches at the other end of the strip.

Do you have to buy an entire carton from them, or just a few strips? Im ni te same boat as everyone else ( mine are as hard as a rock.. starting to scratch the windows in both cars.. on both sides. Its even to the point i started trying to put babyoil on the strips tonight, see if it will soften them enough not to scratch .. ).

Im surprised no-one has found a substitute from another GM vehicle. Not an exact match but a substitute.

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 09-20-2007).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2007 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Well I got the sample from her today in the mail. It is the same as the old one I took off of the car, with a few minor exceptions. The steel inlay is a tad bit thinner, but it is stainless steel and not aluminum as is the factory piece. I honestly beleive we could get these and remove the felt sliders and pop rivet these to the new ones, drill the mounting holes. and just screw them on. You would have to cut the part away where the mirror mount is, and rivet that part on also. It is just riveted to the old wipe strip. 10 pop rivets.You could use the left side (old) to mark the holes on the back side of the new right side. Then do the same for the other side. I am gonna order the stuff and do mine.

She said she could raise the price to $13.50, (a 60 cent increase per piece ) cut them in half for shipping. They have a minimum $50.00 per order, so you would have to purchase 4 strips. I will know about the shipping costs to me tomorrow.

You could replace both sides on your car for about $20.00.

I will drill two holes on the piece I have and mount it onto my door for a picture after work about noon.

I will get a few pics of the sample in the early light tomorrow. The flash just washes out the picture when you get to close to see any of the detail of the sample.

I will call her (Cindy Bergstrom) tomorrow after I get through with my job and confirm all of the above before I turn you guys loose on her.

Please stay tuned for more affordable "Dew Wipe" replacement

Joe Crawford

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-20-2007).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
I don't need dew wipes coz I got a new set with the car when I bought it, but this is such a great idea (even if it does not work out) that I gave you a plus just for the effort.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
For 50 bucks to replace both sides ( i dont care if they arent exact ), ill be inline to do both my cars.
timgray

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
Cant wait for photos, can you also take some close up photos of the strips you bought from them? an end shot as well as a couple of others so we all know exactly what you are looking at and talking about?

This is cool if you found a working replacement. even if they are not 100% exact if they fit, work, and look good that is all that matters to most people except for the 100% restoration to factory crowd.

Have you got a spec sheet on these things? how is the UV resistance and longevity to sunlight exposure?

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 09-21-2007).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
It wouldnt cost you $20 for both sides, plus some shipping.
Go here and read the spec's http://www.fairchildind.com...products.asp?part=18
A picture from the end will like exactly like the picture there.
" Have you got a spec sheet on these things? how is the UV resistance and longevity to sunlight exposure?" I do not have this info, however this is auto weatherstrip. I am sure it is good stuff. I have to go to work now, but I have a lite day planned and will be back with pics in a few hours.
I mounted the one foot piece on my car. for a picture before breakfast.

Joe

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-21-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

josef644

6939 posts
Member since Nov 2006
I just got off of the phone with Cindy Bergstrom at Fairchild. She says I can purchase just the $50.00 worth. She will also have them cut to 36 1/2",( the correct length) as they have to be cut in half anyway for shipping. Mine will ship out on Monday or Tuesday. I will prepare one and mount it on my drivers door. I will post Pictures then of the whole strip mounted.
If one guy buys $50.00 worth, you could then offer the unused six pieces to others in the mall. Once sold you could have less than $20.00 invested with both door wipes replaced.

Now Pic's

This one it is screwed to the door. Remember it is only 12 inches long
The next one is of the end. You can see that there is a small lip on the back side, just as the GM one did. The bigger lip is almost 90 degrees to the other part, The GM ones werent, but mine are over 20 years old, and who knows what they looked like then. The big lip part fits well against the glass and it is flocked on that surface.

This an end shot

And a shot of it flat on its back, you can see the flocking on the glass contact surface

One thing I did learn that I need to use a good sharp bit to drill the holes. A dull bit has fits on the encased stainless steel .

I want say that I did make the call to these folks, but I saw that someone else here on PFF did find these people. I cant locate the original posting from that member. But he is the one who deserves any credit due for this discovery.

Joe Crawford
Texas

Shad0wguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shad0wguySend a Private Message to Shad0wguyDirect Link to This Post
If this will actually work that is awesome.

CenTexIndy

Feedback score:    (32)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CenTexIndySend a Private Message to CenTexIndyDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in they work well. My son's GT needs them badly.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Well from what I have seen so far, I don't think anyone is gonna be disappointed. Of course I only had bout 7 inches of wipe left on one side of the 36 1/2" that was supposed to be there. This is a hugh improvement.

Joe
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

It wouldnt cost you $20 for both sides, plus some shipping.
Go here and read the spec's http://www.fairchildind.com...products.asp?part=18
A picture from the end will like exactly like the picture there.
" Have you got a spec sheet on these things? how is the UV resistance and longevity to sunlight exposure?" I do not have this info, however this is auto weatherstrip. I am sure it is good stuff. I have to go to work now, but I have a lite day planned and will be back with pics in a few hours.
I mounted the one foot piece on my car. for a picture before breakfast.

Joe

I was meaning both sides of both cars , so my bill will be a bit higher

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
josef644
i have a new set in my parts department.
if you want to mail the sample to me i can compair it to the real thing with pics and measurements
Dougie Murder

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dougie MurderSend a Private Message to Dougie MurderDirect Link to This Post
Wow! cool!

If someone buys a bunch of these i would totally be down for buying them!!

There are a set of dew strips right now on ebay...but they are up to 100 bucks already and there is still lots of time left so they will only go higher.

------------------
Dougie Murder
85 Fiero GT
Romeoliquorstore.com
Myspace

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
buddycraigg I will be happy to mail this sample to you as soon as my strips get here one day next week. She told me that she would ship to me Monday or Tuesday

Joe
Texas
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

josef644

6939 posts
Member since Nov 2006
Dougie Murder, and others
Just hold on a few more days. Your car has waited 20 years for new ones. Another week will be nothing in comparison. When they get here I will have some extras. The main thing is how good a whole strip works on my door. If not , then I wasted 50+ bucks. If good, I have some spares for sale cheap! I want to get a piece of this off to buddycraig to compare to a good one also

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Dougie Murder, and others
Just hold on a few more days. Your car has waited 20 years for new ones. Another week will be nothing in comparison. When they get here I will have some extras. The main thing is how good a whole strip works on my door. If, then I wasted 50+ bucks. If good, I have some spares for sale cheap! I want to get a piece of this off to buddycraig to compare to a good one also

But its hard not to get exited over the idea of a final solution when it looks like its soooooo close

PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
I'll go halves with someone if they will work! $25 each and have a spare for later.
Can't beat it! Just like a soar pe.....nevermind.

------------------
1988 GT Wingless Fastback 5 Speed Purchased 8-4-07

Billiard Ball Shifters For Sale! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/038696.html

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dougie Murder:
There are a set of dew strips right now on ebay...but they are up to 100 bucks already

that's actually a very reasonable price.
i "think" i have about 43.00 each in the ones i have. and i get a dealer discount.
so they better be up to at least 100 bucks or the poor guy is gonna loose money
timgray

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
I really need to se the end shot of a new set of NOS wipes. it looks like the top curve is significantly smaller.

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 09-21-2007).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2007 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
The little back lip is about 1/8th you are correct. It fit verey nicely under the door skin at the top. The big one facing the glass is more like 25/32 or just over 3/4 ". It has pressure on the glass. You can see this in the photo of the sample screwed onto my door. I am sure this will relax some as time goes on. I don't think the new ones pointed straight up and were hard from the get go.
Joe
Dougie Murder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dougie MurderSend a Private Message to Dougie MurderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

that's actually a very reasonable price.
i "think" i have about 43.00 each in the ones i have. and i get a dealer discount.
so they better be up to at least 100 bucks or the poor guy is gonna loose money

I suppose that isnt a bad price but I bet its gonna go up way higher than that.
Ive seen them on some websites for 35 usd per side..but they are obviously discontinued now making them fetch a higher price.

here is that link to the auction...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayI...=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=010

------------------
Dougie Murder
85 Fiero GT
Romeoliquorstore.com
Myspace

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2007 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

I don't think the new ones pointed straight up and were hard from the get go.

I’m going to try to be very delicate about the way I say this.
New belt moldings are about as soft and pliable as the softest skin on the human body. (now you figure out what I’m talking about)

I suppose that isnt a bad price but I bet its gonna go up way higher than that

I hope so. Right now they’re at 103.50. I certainly wouldn’t sell mine for that price.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
The E-Bay dew strips are over 150 with an hour left on the ticket.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

I’m going to try to be very delicate about the way I say this.
New belt moldings are about as soft and pliable as the softest skin on the human body. (now you figure out what I’m talking about)

So the ones on my Blue GT being hard as a rock isnt normal?

[This message has been edited by Nurb432 (edited 09-23-2007).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Eyeballs?
Dougie Murder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dougie MurderSend a Private Message to Dougie MurderDirect Link to This Post
The ebay strips ended at 182 beans.

------------------
Dougie Murder
85 Fiero GT
Romeoliquorstore.com
Myspace

PFF
System Bot
TD37

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2007 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
I'm very interested in this and I hope it works out. My passenger side is all there but its broken up into about 30 seperate pieces. The other day a nice chunk came off of my perfect drivers side. Looks like I need a good pair...

-Tim
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2007 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Buddy Craigg it on the way
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
My pieces will ship tomorrow.
Joe
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
cool, i'll keep an eye out
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2007 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, this couldnt have came up at a better time. Just getting ready to replace my door skins so I may as well fix the dew wipes as well
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2007 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Bump so I dont get lost
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2007 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i got the sample.
now i just need about an hour of "down time" at work and i'll get the measurements up.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2007 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
wow... time to sell my NOS sets. Anyone have a solution for the felt covered metal pieces which scratch the glass? Any replacements?

The ebay strips ended at 182 beans.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 09-27-2007).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2007 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Anyone have a solution for the felt covered metal pieces which scratch the glass? Any replacements?

The Fierostore
84-88 FELT WINDOW GUIDE
More Info Part # 64937
Price: $5.95
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave