CRX intake HIGHLY recommended by maxsideburn
Started on: 09-07-2005 11:22 PM
Replies: 59
Last post by: manofiero on 11-17-2005 09:10 PM
maxsideburn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maxsideburnClick Here to visit maxsideburn's HomePageSend a Private Message to maxsideburnDirect Link to This Post
I recently decided to purchase a CRX CAI setup. Well I finally decided to install it today. Basically, if you want your stock 2.8 to sound like a monster, do this! It is completely UNBELIEVABLE the sound this thing makes. When you ride with your windows down and dog it it sounds like a damned F1 car, then when you let off of the throttle it makes a high pitched hissing sound like a turbo's blow-off valve. I simply can't believe how good it sounds. It also looks very nice and only took me about an hour to install (working slowly). Oh yeah, and best of all I thought it would be incredibly loud at cruising speed, but quite the contrary, there is a faint hissing sound, but not much else.

I will post a video afterwhile trying to demonstrate how it sounds.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
maxsideburn,

Can you please post the exact model # you installed and some pics?
Any specs on performance improvement?

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 09-07-2005).]

Ken_86gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken_86gtSend a Private Message to Ken_86gtDirect Link to This Post
Also, what diameter pipe is it?
maxsideburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2005 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maxsideburnClick Here to visit maxsideburn's HomePageSend a Private Message to maxsideburnDirect Link to This Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7994814013&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

that is the one I used. Installation was quite simple and straightforward. quick little write up will be posted soon

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Nah, I will stick to my own CAI

------------------

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
I thought it was cool because it sounded like a damn turbo set up.... Which was neat, but I think it would get annoying after a while... Because a nice exhaust is one thing... but a loud intake that close to your cockpit.. You can't really make it quieter.... Its that loud for a while
yons

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yonsSend a Private Message to yonsDirect Link to This Post
i have a brand new crx intake with filter for sale? if anyone is looking for one...
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
$4.99?? No wonder why the don't let you pick it up Any pic of it installed?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I achieved much of the same results just by removing the water diverter box in the fenderwell. It's not quite as loud as the CRX intake, and you don't hear the hissing sound, but you do get the intake moan under full throttle. I ran an aircleanr flex hose (3" diameter, IIRC) from the bottom of the OEM filter housing to the fender vent. That way it's still sealed to take in only outside air.

Edit: If anyone wants to see what it will sound like before buying the intake, just take your air cleaner lid off and drive around the block. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT drive like this for long, since you won't have any air filter, but just around the block to see how it sounds shouldn't hurt anything (unless you drive through a sand storm).

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 09-08-2005).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
You'll notice the sound for the first while. After a month you wont even know, you get used to it. Mine doesn't annoy me at all.

------------------

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
So does that tube place the air cleaner in the wheelwell? Otherwise you are using a Hot Air Intake and lsoing performance.
PFF
System Bot
wantafiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wantafieroSend a Private Message to wantafieroDirect Link to This Post
Can I run this CRX intake on my 3100? For the most part the setup is the same as the 2.8, right?

------------------

My Cardomain Page

Intel

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post
The only time mine is a bit annoying is when the engine is cold and the idle is a little higher. The hissing is very loud if the driver window is down but after a few minutes the idle settles and it sounds just awesome.
I made my tube out of mandrel bent stainless 3" seamless tubing (got it for free) and a huge K&N filter in place of the water separator in the wheel well.
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
You know, I've been running a CRX cold air intake on my car for about a year and i don't like the sound it makes anymore.

I want to keep the intake, because I love the way it looks under the decklid and inside my side scoop, but does anyone have any ideas as to how to quiet it down? It's louder than my exhaust at idle, and I have a fairly loud exhaust. I'd rather hear the exhaust than the air intake...

------------------

'86 2.8L Bottle-Fed
'86 2.5L turbo put to sleep
Chris_Oslo_Nelson@hotmail.com

maxsideburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maxsideburnClick Here to visit maxsideburn's HomePageSend a Private Message to maxsideburnDirect Link to This Post
yes the canister and all related equipment has been removed, the tube runs down into my fender, next to my little fender vent and that's where the filter is. And contrary to what some have said, you don't need to remove your wheel to clean the filter or install it, you just have to jack up the car a little to give some working room and remove the wheel well liner.
Dans85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dans85GTSend a Private Message to Dans85GTDirect Link to This Post
I havent modified my engine at all and this is something that I wanted to add to my GT, I just wanted to know if the CRX CAI fits right into the Fiero or Do I need to modify it to fit. Do they make a CAI specifically for the Fiero??

------------------
~Dan~ 1985 Fiero GT

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
ill get some video of mine.... it does sound like a monster... idk if it sounds like a turbo but i think it soudns likea G35 or 350z above 2350rpm.
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post
hey small world, i just got back from laff. la. about 5 minutes ago. i want my 85gt to sound like that so i'm gonna order, but your link says you paid 4.99, when i went to his store he wants 8.99. how did you manage that?

------------------
Indy, 85 gtx2, Formula, 00 Navigator(9 tv's,22's,ghostflames,etc...)69 Camaro 400hp350 4sp

maxsideburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maxsideburnClick Here to visit maxsideburn's HomePageSend a Private Message to maxsideburnDirect Link to This Post
GregZ, not sure about that. Just shop around on ebay and try to find one that looked like the one I got. It's ashamed we didn't already know each other, you could have stopped by and take a look at the setup.

As for setup, it's easy. The pipe doesn't have to be modified at all, at least it didn't on my notchback. Had to figure out how to position it. Hardest part was trying to make a hole with a dremel tool for the AIT.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Greg Z:

hey small world, i just got back from laff. la. about 5 minutes ago. i want my 85gt to sound like that so i'm gonna order, but your link says you paid 4.99, when i went to his store he wants 8.99. how did you manage that?

This is $3.99. But if you want it at your home you will need to pay another $25

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-91-Honda-Civic-CRX-Si-Ram-Air-Intake-Kit-Blue-89-90_W0QQitemZ7997778687QQcategoryZ38634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

http://cgi.ebay. com/ebaymotors/88-91-Honda-Civic-CRX-Si-Ram-Air-Intake-Kit-Blue-89-90_W0QQitemZ7997778687QQcategoryZ38634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

. $25 shipping on a 1 lb item???????? You'd have to be an as*hole to fall for that scheme. Perhaps if I lived in Timbuctu that exhorbitant shipping could be justified.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo- 0-60 5.2 seconds -Best
Engine Controls, ECM goodies, Chip
re-programming & odd electronics stuff

PFF
System Bot
maxsideburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maxsideburnClick Here to visit maxsideburn's HomePageSend a Private Message to maxsideburnDirect Link to This Post
well still $4 plus $25 = $29, not bad for a intake setup IMO
Notchie Luvin David

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Notchie Luvin DavidSend a Private Message to Notchie Luvin DavidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

. $25 shipping on a 1 lb item???????? You'd have to be an as*hole to fall for that scheme. Perhaps if I lived in Timbuctu that exhorbitant shipping could be justified.

Did you happen to notice that the entire intake setup was under four bucks? Do you think ANYbody can get them that cheap? Of course he jacked up the shipping. The only thing sad about the situation is that you seem to think it's unfair somehow... You're still getting the intake for under $30, not bad in my books.
kolslaw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kolslawClick Here to visit kolslaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to kolslawDirect Link to This Post
I hope I'm not a sucker, but I bought it. Take a look at the one for $4.99 and the other one at the sellers store for $9.99 the more expensive one has two collars and an extra pipe?

Ah Hah! one is listed as a CAI the other as a Ram Air Intake

[This message has been edited by kolslaw (edited 09-08-2005).]

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

http://cgi.ebay. com/ebaymotors/88-91-Honda-Civic-CRX-Si-Ram-Air-Intake-Kit-Blue-89-90_W0QQitemZ7997778687QQcategoryZ38634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

maybe its just me, but when i click on that link it still reads 4.99 . but don't get me wrong, i'm still gonna order it. intake for that price/w shipping, i'm on it.

[This message has been edited by Greg Z (edited 09-08-2005).]

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
MAX, that intake you got... what is the ID on the pipe?? Is it 3.5"?

IF its closer to 4 im all about it too!!!

maxsideburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maxsideburnClick Here to visit maxsideburn's HomePageSend a Private Message to maxsideburnDirect Link to This Post

[click me]

[click me]

maxsideburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maxsideburnClick Here to visit maxsideburn's HomePageSend a Private Message to maxsideburnDirect Link to This Post

maxsideburn

558 posts
Member since Feb 2005
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
FYI, you can buy them at many parts stores, probably cheaper than Ebay (once you add in shipping)
maxsideburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maxsideburnClick Here to visit maxsideburn's HomePageSend a Private Message to maxsideburnDirect Link to This Post
doubt that, most of the ones in the stores are for civics and are like $65.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I guess you nor many here are frequent Ebay buyers. It is very common for sellers to put stupid prices and get the profit on the "shipping" charges. You can still get great deals. The key is that you need to compare the sum of cost+S/H to get the correct price to compare on everything

PFF
System Bot
AaronZ34

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post09-08-2005 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

FYI, you can buy them at many parts stores, probably cheaper than Ebay (once you add in shipping)

I paid $36 shipped for this one on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOMZ-88-89-90-91-Honda-Civic-CRX-Si-Air-Intake-Filter_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33659QQitemZ7997777851QQrdZ1

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

------------------

"What would you do if I came over to your bedroom every morning, stuch a vacuum hose on your wife's nipple, and turned the Hoover on? Huh? Huh?"

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I don't remember what they cost at AutoZone. I thought it might be worth checking out to save a few bucks.
Guess not.

I tried to find them on their website, but had no luck, anyway.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 09-08-2005).]

ThatRickGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatRickGuyClick Here to visit ThatRickGuy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ThatRickGuyDirect Link to This Post
So do these mate up to the stock air box? Has anyone dyno'd one of these to see if there is any gain? I'd cough up $30 for 4 ponys.

-Rick

maxsideburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2005 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maxsideburnClick Here to visit maxsideburn's HomePageSend a Private Message to maxsideburnDirect Link to This Post
Well the general concensus is that it does not in fact affect performance whatsoever, or not noticibly. It's mostly just for the way it looks and sounds. And connect to the stock air box? no. The whole stock setup comes out, and this one just runs into the fender to where the original ran.
wantafiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2005 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wantafieroSend a Private Message to wantafieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wantafiero:

Can I run this CRX intake on my 3100? For the most part the setup is the same as the 2.8, right?

Anyone? Or would I be better off getting a K&N or an airhog?

maxsideburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2005 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maxsideburnClick Here to visit maxsideburn's HomePageSend a Private Message to maxsideburnDirect Link to This Post
I believe I have heard before that this intake will work for that motor as well, is your intake manifold inlet near where the stock V6 one would be? If so it should fit.
wantafiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2005 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wantafieroSend a Private Message to wantafieroDirect Link to This Post
maxsideburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2005 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maxsideburnClick Here to visit maxsideburn's HomePageSend a Private Message to maxsideburnDirect Link to This Post
I could be wrong but I really think that this should work for you motor too. It looks extremely close to the stock location. Might even be better, lol.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2005 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wantafiero:

That intake hose on your 3100SFI is the stock hose from the Olds Cut Sup. It is larger than the stock Fiero intake hose. That is why I used it rather than the stock Fiero hose. Without seeing the CRX intake tube in there I would say that it wont work. You have a hollow water box anyway so a CRX wont give you any extra power, but it may look better.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock