Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Northstar Turbo build thread (pics) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
Northstar Turbo build thread (pics) by PBJ
Started on: 12-15-2004 07:29 PM
Replies: 272
Last post by: Saber49 on 01-29-2006 11:58 PM
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2004 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
As some of you may know, Beck (Her86GT) starter a thread about here new swap, found here https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/047835.html But we thought it would be good to start a build thread with a Topic that descibes the thread, makes searching for info down the road easier for Minngreen

A recap, 1994 STS vin 9 4.6L (stock 300 hp)

Engine/trans out of the caddy, This combo is huge and Heavy!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2004 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Now for the tear down. I am replacing the head gaskets, head bolt thread, Gasket matching the intake, porting the exhaust, High rev valve springs, and still thinking about cam changes.

As you can see there is alot of material that can be trimmed on the exhaust ports.

I will post some more info as I work along.

Pete

[This message has been edited by PBJ (edited 12-15-2004).]

madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2004 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
This should be a very good thread! Please Sir, continue.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2004 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
I'm all ears........

------------------
Paul

Home Built Tube Chassis IMSA Race Car - 3.8 lb./hp | 1987 Fiero GT 119,xxx, 3.1 motor, 1 1/4" rear swaybar, Full poly

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2004 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Im looking fowards to see the progress on this one.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

If memory serves me well here, won't you be needing to cut into the trunk area for the turbo??? Lookin forward to more on this thread....

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2004 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
As I recall, the trunk is already cut.

Nice having a car you can hoist the engine out the top as standard procedure eh?

Arn

cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2004 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2004 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
cool!
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2004 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
You've caught my attention. You do good work, and I look forward to following your progress on this, a lot more interesting than those silly pushrod engines.

Bryce
88 GT

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Thumbs up!
PFF
System Bot
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Keeping this one at the top. I cant wait for the next update.

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I only read the first page of that other topic, but couldn't find out what was wrong with the donor car. Except for the mismatched wheels, that is.

Borgio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BorgioSend a Private Message to BorgioDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:

I only read the first page of that other topic, but couldn't find out what was wrong with the donor car. Except for the mismatched wheels, that is.

The hood won't stay up by itself.

BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Borgio:

The hood won't stay up by itself.

And its missing an engine/tranny

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

...But we thought it would be good to start a build thread with a Topic that descibes the thread, makes searching for info down the road easier for Minngreen

LOL - Much appreciated!

...Looking forward to watching this one progress!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

4BanGinFun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post
The car was in a collsion with Buck and was writen off by insureance.. the car was then given to me by the owner i sold the wheels off of the car and then sold the rest to Pete... looks like that engine is in pretty good shape inside

Chris

------------------
Chris 85 Fiero SE 2.5L of fury
second one in the garage undergoing surgery
See the progress

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=347941&page

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Now I know more about the history of this car then I did before, Thanks 4banginfun, but you are right there really is not alot wrong with the STS other than the bit of damage and that it is a 4800 lbs fwd 4 door pimp sleed. The engine inside is really good. Cross wear on cylinder was is flawless and now that I see the condition of the head gaskets I can see they really did not have to be changed. The updates on this build up may come along a bit slower than some of my other 2 week projects because this one needs to last the whole winter.

Thanks for the replies and intrest.

Pete

Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
Great stuff Pete, looking forward in see it up and running. I like the 4.9 PCM idea, I know you'll get it to work in the end. keep us posted on your progress, if I have any usefull ideas I'll sure to pass them your way. Good luck.

Joe

Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
Drool........

I bet you'll have it done in 3 days like everything else

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wipe0ut:

Drool........

I bet you'll have it done in 3 days like everything else

You are right, I would, problem is though we have not yet decided how much money to spend on this engine. ie cams and springs or just springs. If it was just reseal the top end and leaving it all stock I am sure the engine would be all back together.

Pete

PFF
System Bot
DPWood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPWoodClick Here to visit DPWood's HomePageSend a Private Message to DPWoodDirect Link to This Post
Hey Pete...

Have you got the Time-sert tool set up or are you sending it out to be done?? I wasn't sure who did those locally. Terry down at the Horton Street Carquest is the guy I usually see for machine shop work. They didn't have it when I asked and I shudder to think what a Caddy dealership would charge.

If you've got the set up I'd much rather put a few bucks in your pocket to get it done.

David

------------------
His Fiero: 1984 2M4 Coupe

Her Fiero: 1984 2M4 Convertible

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DPWood:

Have you got the Time-sert tool set up or are you sending it out to be done??

We have them in stock at the dealer, Bring your block by and I can practice ;D But seriously, I can do them for you. I will be doing ours shortly.

Pete

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2004 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
That operation fits all known definitions of "tedious" and "pain in the butt"
x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2004 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
something to keep us occupied over the winter too! Can't wait till next spring to see this on the road.

Team Race-Tech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2004 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
Hi Pete.

Not sure how you'r going to set up the throttle body from the 93-94 N*, but if it is of any intrest to you I have from a 98 N* is a complete upper intake, fuel rail, map sensor, injectors, wiring harness for the injectors and the rugulator. The only thing I do not have is the throttle body. If you are interested PM or e-mail me directly.

Thanks Joe.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2004 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

You are right, I would, problem is though we have not yet decided how much money to spend on this engine. ie cams and springs or just springs. If it was just reseal the top end and leaving it all stock I am sure the engine would be all back together.

Pete

Seriously Pete, if the 4.9 is operational, why rush it? I'd do the long job and do it up right.
This car will be the pride of the North East.

Arn

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2004 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the offer Joe, I will let you know but for the time being I am good for N* parts. For an IAC I will either get a throttle body with one or run a separate stand alone IAC that I believe was shown to me through Bubbajoes web site using a modified 3.1iac and housing.

Arn, I am not patient enough to let the engine sit for a season, if I know I have more power in the garage I want it in the back of the fiero sooner than later. If we don't go for cams this year than it is only an hour and a half to drop the engine/cradle and then get at those cams later. We shall see...

Pete

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2004 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I keep forgetting just how quick you are with a wrench.

Can't wait to see it.

Arn

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the offer Joe, I will let you know but for the time being I am good for N* parts. For an IAC I will either get a throttle body with one or run a separate stand alone IAC that I believe was shown to me through Bubbajoes web site using a modified 3.1iac and housing.

Arn, I am not patient enough to let the engine sit for a season, if I know I have more power in the garage I want it in the back of the fiero sooner than later. If we don't go for cams this year than it is only an hour and a half to drop the engine/cradle and then get at those cams later. We shall see...

Pete

Hmm sounds like I need to start tlaking prices with you on better breating for my 4.9. I'm betting I could pick up a set of heads locally for cheap and practice the art of porting. Then ........ Oh damn it here we go again. And yes I know your 4.9 is for sale and has everything done, but I'd feel bad for this motor

spearce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spearceClick Here to visit spearce's HomePageSend a Private Message to spearceDirect Link to This Post
When do we get to make it look pretty?????

Steve

PFF
System Bot
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
My New Favorite, favorite...lol

------------------
Side Skirts....
"EuroSmooth"
~GTStyle~&~Coupe Style
Coming Soon...

------------------

Tabs31

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post
I can't wait till I find out more. Keep it up pete? Next year should I go 4.9 or N*??? It's a tough call

------------------

The 4.9 To Be!

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2004 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post

Pete

This might be an option for the IAC.
http://www.fuelairspark.com/catalog/components.asp
Remote IAC Housing for
Blown or Special Applications,
Part # 30-7016

there isn't a pic on the website, but this is one I didn't win on ebay{damned e-snipe}
I would only guess its similar.

I'm looking foward to see how this all goes together.

Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2004 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Direct Link to This Post
Any weekend updates?
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2004 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Nope nothing new. I am suspecting the turbo should show up in the mail soon. I have as you can see in the pics stripped the engine down and removed the heads, and polished the piston tops. All of the pieces have been degreased but still need to be cleaned and painted where required. I am going to disassemble the heads to do some porting and cleaning soon along with timesert threading the head theads.

Thanks for the link for the IAC and also the picture, it looks easy enough to build for us.

As for the Turbo 4.9 it does not have a new buyer yet, so it may get parted out.

Pete

fourpoint9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2004 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
Does Rockcrawl have a headstart on his N* an now you are catching up?
Smells like another drag race.
Thanks for sharing your project!

------------------
fourpoint9
87 notchback 4.9L swap in progress

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2004 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Yes Rockcrawl has a bit of a head start on his but we keep in contact and likely both cars will end up coming out fairly similar in the electronics but different in engine mounting, turbo, and transmission. We work well together and keep the pressure on. Likely our car will take off again rather quickly once Christmas is over and all the parts have been aquired.

Pete

edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2004 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
I still cannot get over how BIG the Northstar heads are! And 4-valve heads in general...

interesting thread!

Ed

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2004 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

As for the Turbo 4.9 it does not have a new buyer yet, so it may get parted out.

Pete

OMG Say it isn't so.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock