Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Custom Fiero Rear Diffuser Build Thread! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Custom Fiero Rear Diffuser Build Thread! by Oslo
Started on: 05-30-2005 05:35 PM
Replies: 107
Last post by: goatnipples2002 on 08-05-2005 03:15 PM
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Well, as I was surfing the forum the other day, I came upon this picture of Jscott1's car:

Well, I've been desiring a rear underside spoiler for some time, and this one looked easy enough to make and I have a spare rear gt bumper sitting around just taking up space. so, here's the build up of mine.

First I started with a aero rear bumper and I cut it in half:

I couldn't figure out what to cut it with though. It was a lot more difficult to cut through than I had anticipated. First I tried a cutting wheel on a die grinder, than a hacksaw, then a sawzall, and I finally found my little air saw and that worked wonderfully! Nothing else worked well at all...

Then, with the help of a pair of jack stands I got it into place and used a few screws to temporarily mount it and take a look at it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
The next step was to take it off and cut out the license plate area.

Then I used a straight edge and a ruler and marked off the sides so they didn't stick out so darn far:

And this is what I have so far:

I hate how the middle is bowing out so badly. I will either be trimming it some more where it connects to the old bumper in the middle, or the corners at the spot that the license plate used to sit in the middle. We'll see. I think that's all for today. I'm going to take it off and do some sanding so it will start to look decent!

------------------

'86 2.8L Bottle-Fed
'86 2.5L turbo put to sleep
Chris_Oslo_Nelson@hotmail.com

ovrkild

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ovrkildSend a Private Message to ovrkildDirect Link to This Post
so far so good. It should look prety good when its all done
netpro55

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2005 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for netpro55Click Here to visit netpro55's HomePageSend a Private Message to netpro55Direct Link to This Post
I have a rear diffuser also on my 85 se\gt, I will send pictures in a few weeks. Everyone is going to hate me due to the item I destroyed to make it. lol
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Well, I took a full-car shot to compare it to jscott's, and his looks better from picture to picture here, but I haven't started sanding it down to smooth everything out yet.

I still am going to straighten out the sides, curve the middle corners a little, and straighten out the long middle pieces all with a sander. I'm also going to attach the sides a little better so it all matches up with the top bumper cover perfectly. I hope to have it finished, painted, and permanently mounted by this next weekend! I figure I have about 6 more hours of work that need to go into it until I'm satisfied with it.

Heretic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HereticSend a Private Message to HereticDirect Link to This Post
Not a fan at all...IMO those look horrible.
LITEDAZE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LITEDAZESend a Private Message to LITEDAZEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Heretic:

Yeah, you can really tell it's a piece that shouldn't be there....your car looks 100X better without.

It would be nice if it all joined together nicely like the german silver Fiero's diffuser

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
im on both sides, i do think it could look nice, but i honestly think it needs to be molded in.... glas the sides at least. it does look out of place but i think if glassed would look really nice.

------------------

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/050262.html "Ritalin"

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
It could be made work well with the wing for an agressive look...but it really needs to get smoothed with the rearbumper to make it look like it belongs there...
I like it smoothed even more
rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoDirect Link to This Post
those look like someone placed a mirror on the bottom of your car... you can tell what it is right away.
DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Heretic:

Gonna hafta agree. That being said, it does look better on jscotts car, due to the choptop.

------------------
1988 Aero 88 coupe.. 2.8l v6.. more mods to come.
FieroNews.com - Photo Gallery - Fiero Links
I am the signature virus, please put me in your signature so I can spread

PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Hmmm, Im not really a huge fan of it on yours or jscotts. Like some people said, its easy to tell its just stuck on there. Your car looks much better without it. Unless you plan on molding it all in like Fie Ro I would say take it off as fast as you can... but thats your call.
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Well, keep in mind that it is not finished. I've got to do a considerable amount of sanding on it to even everything out and then throw some paint on it real quick.

I was thinking of the idea of fiberglassing it in, but what if I don't lilke it afterwards? i don't have ANOTHER bumper in case...

Anyone wanna do some photoshopping on either of the 2 pics?

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
I think it fits the "look" of your overall car's look
Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
You know, maybe it's how much everyone else doesn't like it, but the more I look at these pics the more I don't like it either. I just want to finish the sanding to see if maybe it'll look good.

I'm not sold on it at all, and maybe this is a lost cause...

Oslo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

Oslo

5423 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Also, Fie Ro, your car is a magnificent work of art! If you offered your bumper for sale, I wouldn't have to try to make my own anyway! lol
timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

I think it fits the "look" of your overall car's look

At first I didn't really like it, but Revin's got a good point - while this might not be a good idea for a lot of Fieros out there, it could go well with your other body mods (i.e. scoops and wing). Call me crazy, but have you thought about painting the original bumper white to match the car and then making your diffuser on bottom that darker color (as it currently appears to be)? Shifting colors could shift how the diffuser looks a lot.

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
Oslo,

If you deside that you still want a rear diffuser, but don't like the one that you have now.
Try using the wing off an 82 Trans-am. That is what I used.

------------------
WWW.CLEVELANDFIEROS.COM

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Ehh... I don't think sanding alone will help THAT...

('liked it better before)

EDIT: The one above (posted same time as I) looks MUCH better that what you have...

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 05-30-2005).]

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oslo:

Keep working on it, I think w/ a little more off here and there it could be ok. It will need to be molded in to look right, that is just my opinion though...
I love that one 3.8
and Fie Ro's...

sidenote...
I have been doing alot of research on the air flow around cars in general... I have been convinced that the air flows alot, I mean alot better if it does'nt have any kind of defuser at all.... It will flow better if it is opened up... minus the rear defuser... JMO...

Steve

------------------

Choptop WideBody GT 1 of 1
4.9L-V8-Auto---almost finished

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

You know, maybe it's how much everyone else doesn't like it, but the more I look at these pics the more I don't like it either. I just want to finish the sanding to see if maybe it'll look good.

Well, I'm just now seeing this thread and it looks like the majority is lining up against our little experiment. That said, the good news is that it didn't cost anything for us to try it and see if we liked it or not. And the other thing about one offs is that the pictures don't do it justice.

The human brain attempts to reconstruct a 3 dimentional image from 2D pictures and it normally does a pretty good job, except when it's presented with something it has never seen before. In my opinion these dffusers look a lot better in person. My car needed something to balance out the rear end. A 5 inch wingstand that is as high as the roof needs something to "pull it down". Those that have seen my car in person think it looks more balanced with the diffuser.

Also, I gave Oslo some tips in a PM about some hidden brackets that I have that gives the diffuser it's shape. Without the brackets it bows in the middle more than it should. Also that Urethane is a bear to trim, you need some horsepower to cut through it, so in otherwords I'm not finished trimming mine either. If I decide to keep it I will probably smooth in the sides though.

PFF
System Bot
LITEDAZE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2005 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LITEDAZESend a Private Message to LITEDAZEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.8 SC:

Oslo,

If you deside that you still want a rear diffuser, but don't like the one that you have now.

now that looks sweet!

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
oslo, mold it. it would look sweet molded.
1fastkingcab

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastkingcabSend a Private Message to 1fastkingcabDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Well, I'm just now seeing this thread and it looks like the majority is lining up against our little experiment. That said, the good news is that it didn't cost anything for us to try it and see if we liked it or not. And the other thing about one offs is that the pictures don't do it justice.

The human brain attempts to reconstruct a 3 dimentional image from 2D pictures and it normally does a pretty good job, except when it's presented with something it has never seen before. In my opinion these dffusers look a lot better in person. My car needed something to balance out the rear end. A 5 inch wingstand that is as high as the roof needs something to "pull it down". Those that have seen my car in person think it looks more balanced with the diffuser.

Also, I gave Oslo some tips in a PM about some hidden brackets that I have that gives the diffuser it's shape. Without the brackets it bows in the middle more than it should. Also that Urethane is a bear to trim, you need some horsepower to cut through it, so in otherwords I'm not finished trimming mine either. If I decide to keep it I will probably smooth in the sides though.

I agree, that car looks good with the choptop , wing stands & the rear, uh.. thingie But I think it dosen't look so good on the other car.

Tabs31

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post

Oslo,

I really like that!

------------------

"I feel the need........"

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tabs31:

I really like that!

It would look killer with your tips how they face upward... (my favorite type tips)

Still Love the car Tabs...

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

NotAFieroAnyLonger

4413 posts
Member since Dec 2003

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

sidenote...
I have been doing alot of research on the air flow around cars in general... I have been convinced that the air flows alot, I mean alot better if it does'nt have any kind of defuser at all.... It will flow better if it is opened up... minus the rear defuser... JMO...

Steve

Anyone have any thoughts on this..?? Please step forward...

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Oslo,

Do you have a build thread that shows how you did this? I guess I'm going to start searching salvage yards in the morning! Great job!

------------------

There isn’t much better in this life than finding a way to spend a few hours in conversation with people you respect and love. You have to carve this time out of your life because you aren’t really living without it.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hmm....I'm biased. It appears to look better on Scott’s car. On the other hand, Jscott isn't finished with it. A little more trimming in the right place should do the trick.

How? Starting with the middle section where it normal square-ish part is. Use that as a "base" cut. Cutting from there on out (left and right) allowing for a straight-line look. IMO it should also include part of the 1/2 squared area over the two exhausts.

Next, extend the side flare similar to the light gray one in this thread. Stand back and take another pick and let others view for a feedback? No doubt it will need to be molded in once the desired cutting is performed.

Another option is to open the area just above where the center part is located. Examples? Celica rear bumper or the Ford Probe. By using this straight-line as a "base point" you can then allow for a smooth look. The same has been done a few Fiero using the open mouth IRM front spoiler. The only difference is that some use a double mouth opening, which IMO is redundant. Had they simple used the center lower portion of the IRM and cut the entire spoiler down by 3" the over mouth wouldn't be so wide open.

It may be hard to understand what I'm writing because a pick is worth a thousand words. Some one will eventually get around to doing it. But hell, it's a pipe dream for now, hehehe.

------------------

Archie's Choptop conversion #11, #15, Redux & The Stealth

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-31-2005).]

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
looks better, just trim a tad.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Those with diffusers, do you notice a difference in handling at speeds at all??

PFF
System Bot
JKFIERO

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JKFIEROSend a Private Message to JKFIERODirect Link to This Post

Also, Fie Ro, your car is a magnificent work of art! If you offered your bumper for sale, I wouldn't have to try to make my own anyway! lol

Not to mention the tail lights. I think those are fantastic.
What are the light assemblies from?
Did you do the work?
Was this an after market light , like for the Vette style lights, that you put your own assemblies in?

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

sidenote...

Steve

Anyone have any thoughts on this..?? Please step forward...

[/QUOTE]

Yes Steve...I thought it was very funny

Ambush

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmbushClick Here to visit Ambush's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmbushDirect Link to This Post
I think he's on the right track. I don't think it looks good as a finished project, but as he said he is working on it and i think it will come out pretty nice. looking foward to seeing the final product
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I wish someone could photoshop what Curley is talking about because I'm having a hard time visualizing it. Also I plan to add a couple more of those hidden brackets that I was talking about to further level the diffuser. You can see in the above shot that it's not quite level, and I think I am going to angle it up a little more too in addition to further trimming.

Those changes along with smoothing it in and an appropriate paint scheme and I think the diffuser will look right on my car. Is it for every Fiero? no, but it does fit with the theme that I am going with. I want the car to look like an arrow moving forward cleanly through the air.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-31-2005).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
JScott1 and Oslo: Just an FYI, the center sections in your "diffusers" are going to restrict airflow under the car. That will cause lift and increase drag. I'm referring to the downward-angled parts on either side of where the license plate used to be. You should cut those parts out. (I can whip up an image if necessary)

I'm with N.A.F.A.L. on this one. If you're looking for function, you should be opening up the rear fascia, not filling it in.

BTW: A jigsaw with a wood cutting blade will slice through urethane bumpers like a hot knife through butter.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 05-31-2005).]

rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

just my opinion, but its a shame that you put that thing on such a nice car.
It looks as if you found a torn fiero bumber on the side of the highway and bolted it on. The car would look sooo much cleaner and sleeker without it.

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Gets MY vote Jon

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I couldnt feel a difference with the diffuser added...a good fronthood vent and different nose has more impact on feel and handling. I made some curve in the midsection but since I dont have a windtunnel its just guessing. I assume it only adds 25hp

I think the jscott version could be made looking good because of the wing and matching shape but it is tricky to get it nice....
Functionally I think that setup actually traps air under the car instead of venting it out. you should open up the rear, ..with using some mesh in the right places you could cut a lot of it for airflow while maintaining the preferred shape....
--

Originally posted by JKFIERO:
Not to mention the tail lights. I think those are fantastic.
What are the light assemblies from?
Did you do the work?
Was this an after market light , like for the Vette style lights, that you put your own assemblies in?

Well thanks! These are altezza's for a Honda prelude (97-up?) Got them about 3 years ago when they were rare and not considered rice....but they come in black and CF too nowadays so I will replace and update them when the car gets painted

all custom work (thats why it takes sooo long)
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2005 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rmphoto:

It looks as if you found a torn fiero bumber on the side of the highway and bolted it on.

Maybe it looks better without it, maybe not. But I'm going to keep working with it and in the end if I don't like it I can always take it off. Just like any other mod, some will like it and some won't... and by the way I did take a torn Fiero bumper and bolt it on.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock