Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Custom Fiero Rear Diffuser Build Thread! (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Custom Fiero Rear Diffuser Build Thread! by Oslo
Started on: 05-30-2005 05:35 PM
Replies: 107
Last post by: goatnipples2002 on 08-05-2005 03:15 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
In my opinion if you still want to keep that... I would pull everything under even more so it doesn't stick out so much, and then mold it all in as well as make some solid connections on the inside of the exhaust outlets... as well as darkening up that primer :P Here's my photoshop:

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 06-05-2005).]

IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
SWEET!!!

You get my vote for your vision and photoshop skills. Where did those tips come from? They are nice.

That's a nice upgrade from this:

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 06-05-2005).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Thanks, I think it would look even better when it becomes a reality

Those tips are from this site:

www.corsaperf.com/devilleseville.htm

I think they're pretty nice too.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Kind of Ironic you put Cadillac tips on a Cadillac powered Fiero.

My Megaphones are so dirty you can hardly even see that I have tips, I think It's time for an another upgrade. I say another because this car started life as a coupe. I bought those tips on ebay and added them to a V6 exhaust.

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
The photo-shop'd pic looks good! So what's the hold-up JScott? hehehe
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Hes as slow as me ain't he..??

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

I've managed to nearly steal this thread from Oslo, so I'll post the updates to my own build up thread... But don't expect any updates for another week. Four letters are why and that's I-n-d-y...

I have 5 days before the Indy has to roll out to make room for the return of Proud-2.

Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Oh, by all means, feel free to steal away! I am not making much progress on mine either. Feel free jscott!
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
look at this stuff...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61793&item=7521905206&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

do you think it could be used to fill in gaps and smooth areas that are joined? i'm thinking use bumper epoxy to attach it. i'd buy it if it was in a lesser quantity or i had more cash for experiments. i may anyway if i see it on ebay in the future.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
...After taking shortcuts ..and repairs I always end up taking molds and making one-piece fiberglass products. Bonded pieces will crack anyway, sooner or later. So thats why it takes a lot of time to get nice and reliable parts......you need to do a lot of work to get it right for the final result....
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
If I ever get anything even remotely close to what DoubleC4 has photoshopped a mold could be taken. But I'm not a big fan of fiberglass fascias. Especially ones that are that low to the ground. It would last about a week on Houston streets before it was smashed all to pieces. I'm hoping that the Urethane will hold up a little better. A few spider cracks would be better than having chunks broken off.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2005 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Here is an update of the trimmed diffuser:

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-03-2005).]

goatnipples2002

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
No offense, but that looks like $h!t. You couldn't pay me to believe that's functional. Are you doing this for "looks" or for function. Please say as a joke because you got me crackin up.

Welcome to the 1st Annual HANDICAP LEAGUE OF FIEROS!

Now this would look sick and it's functional.

I have been thinking of ways to mount these to make a rear diffuser.....

This is called an A-pod like Audi and Volvo antenna pods. Now you could mount these in the middle right under the plate.

OR

just cut some triangles out of semi flexible plastic

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 08-04-2005).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by goatnipples2002:

No offense, but that looks like $h!t. You couldn't pay me to believe that's functional. Are you doing this for "looks" or for function.

No offense taken. I never claimed it to be functional...but you reposted a pic from page 1. Just above it is a reshaped diffuser. And it will be yet different when you see it again. Not everybody is going to like every mod, that's why I'm building it the way I like it.

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
goatnipples... just so you know a rear diffuser is WORTHLESS unless you make the WHOLE underbelly of the car FLAT and SMOOTH. Thus re-routing the cooling for the radiator out the hood or such and then totally covering the bottom of the engine compartment with aluminum or something... You would HAVE to have this flat bottom cause it in essence turns the car into a BIG WING thats upside down. The air will have to flow faster over the TOP of the car because of the shape then it does under the perfectly flat bottom. Causeing downforce. JUST like a airplane wing mounted UPSIDOWN!!
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Fieromaster:

goatnipples... just so you know a rear diffuser is WORTHLESS unless you make the WHOLE underbelly of the car FLAT and SMOOTH. Thus re-routing the cooling for the radiator out the hood or such and then totally covering the bottom of the engine compartment with aluminum or something... You would HAVE to have this flat bottom cause it in essence turns the car into a BIG WING thats upside down. The air will have to flow faster over the TOP of the car because of the shape then it does under the perfectly flat bottom. Causeing downforce. JUST like a airplane wing mounted UPSIDOWN!!

*Shakes head up and down*

------------------
Failing to prepare - Is preparing to fail....

I am the signature virus, please put me in your signature so I can spread

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
So a rear diffuser wouldn't help any? What about a diffuser under the front bumper?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Fieromaster:

The air will have to flow faster over the TOP of the car because of the shape then it does under the perfectly flat bottom. Causeing downforce. JUST like a airplane wing mounted UPSIDOWN!!

It's been a while since I took Aerodynamics, but isn't this the definition of an airplane wing RIGHT SIDE UP? If air flows over the top faster that will create LIFT not DOWNFORCE. To get downforce from a car you have to speed up the air underneath.

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

It's been a while since I took Aerodynamics, but isn't this the definition of an airplane wing RIGHT SIDE UP? If air flows over the top faster that will create LIFT not DOWNFORCE. To get downforce from a car you have to speed up the air underneath.

And do do that you create a flat smooth surface. This removes the turbulence that slows the air down...

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by goatnipples2002:

So a rear diffuser wouldn't help any? What about a diffuser under the front bumper?

that would be a front air damn - to minimize airflow under the car

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Fieromaster is right about a flat bottom but messed up the wing principle I guess its just the other way around (please correct me if I messed up ) :
An airplane wing is basically flat at the bottom and curved on the top, the air over the wing has to travel a longer distance so it goes faster effectively creating a vacuum above the wing, which will lift the wing and the airplane
With a car there is an added factor which is the ground we drive on...we want the car sucked to the ground so it doesnt take off like an airplane....so we need vacuum too, now between car and ground (called groundeffect). A flipped wing doesnt work now because the curved shape interferes with the ground and allowes air pressure buildup from the front till the lowest curve..that will drag and lift it. By using the ground itself theres another way to create vacuum..this can be achieved by restricting air getting under the car and helping air getting pulled out of the rear faster. like using a low frontbumper/windsplitter, a flat bottom, opening up towards the rear (diffuser!). Lower sideskirts help to maintain low pressure under the car, also a hoodvent to vent radiator air over the car instead under it.....Theres a lot to do to feel a difference, especially at daily driving speeds For me so far a hoodvent and windsplitter made a bigger difference than sideskirts and diffuser ..if you want better response start at the front IMHO...
Lotus was the first to use the groundeffect in formula1 about 25 years ago and they won races with it, saw that on discovery But its tricky when you lose it..
Some airplanes use air/groundeffects in their particular way....search for "Ekranoplan"

Edit: ok its already answered while typing my longest post ever

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 08-04-2005).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Fie Ro, thanks for the explanation of how a diffuser works. Again, mine is for looks. If I can incorporate any functional features that's a pure bonus. I cut out the center section to improve airflow, I may smooth the bottom as well.
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
The way I see it, in order to improve downforce.

1. Hood vent
2. Lowering springs/ Coilovers
3. Chin spoiler or Skitime bumper w/ front splitter
4. Taller spoiler/wing
5. Canards
6. Rear diffuser
7. Belly pan

No particuliar order

GonsaiPK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GonsaiPKSend a Private Message to GonsaiPKDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to say, though, that a whaletail spoiler, with no gap between the top and bottom would also work instead of the stock spoiler raised to the height of the roof. It prevents air from flowing up from under the car and onto the decklid and creating more turbulence in the already low-pressure area created by the roof. Hm, come to think of it, has anyone ever used a whaletail in conjunction with a raised spoiler? It would look ugly as all get out, but think of the reduced lift...

Anyways, do a search for "aerodynamics". There's a couple good threads on the subject.

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
Ground effects work by creating a low pressure area underneath the car. Typically this is done by routing air underneath the vehicle, then expanding the volume that that air can travel, resulting in low pressure in that area. For example, you could have a tunnel like this, looking up at it from the bottom of the car:
________
_____/
_____
\________

If you kept the tunnel at a constant depth and prevented air from escaping around the edges, the air would depressurize once it left the relatively small first tunnel.

Edit: Okay. I suck at text drawings. I won't deny it. Here's a 1 minute paint pic :

Nate
------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.
You know that little voice that says it can't be done? I duct-taped mine's mouth shut and pushed it down a flight of stairs.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 08-05-2005).]

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
What about the strip of rubber that channels air into the radiator. Would adding a few inches to it so it hangs a little lower make a difference. When you add a hood vent I know that this rubber strip's effects are multiplied. This would seem to be the cheapest and most functional "chin spoiler" you could add. I think this would be the best way to add downforce without adding a chin spoiler that gets scraped all the time. What cha think?

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 08-05-2005).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock