Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Who said this was easy? - My TPI-V8 swap :-) (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
Who said this was easy? - My TPI-V8 swap :-) by Alex4mula
Started on: 10-07-2004 03:36 PM
Replies: 283
Last post by: Alex4mula on 07-27-2005 03:26 PM
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Feel free to PM me. Last Friday the rear of the car finally touched ground after 3+ months being up. The overheating problem was a huge air bubble that was not allowing water to run. Once I took it out the car ran idling at 160° for 1/2 hr so that seems to be fine. Timed the car, set IAC idle and everything seemed fine. But off course something else needed to be bad. Saturday tried to bleed the clutch and found out that the master cylinder was shot Ordered one that arrives today. So hopefully tonight if all the planets align in the positive channel and my biorhythm is up on all charts I may have the first test drive after the second overhaul. If everything else is fine then I'll take the car to work (70 miles roundtrip) and if that one goes fine then the car will make it to Daytona. Please whish me luck
IP: Logged
mrfixit58

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Please whish me luck

You got it... good luck!!!!
I'm really looking forward to seeing your work.

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show @ Pontiac, Mich - 7/2003
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 8th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2004

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Master cylinder arrived. I'm leaving work now to install it. Will let you know tonight if I finally am able to drive it or if I ditch it in a crocodile infested channel around here
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Well... after 7 hrs of work and bleeding it still doesn't shift Clutch pedal seems bent so tomorrow I'll change that one. I just need like 1/8"-3/16" more of travel to make it shift. If that doesn't make it then bye bye Daytona....

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 03-17-2005).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Well... after 7 hrs of work and bleeding it still doesn't shift Clutch pedal seems bent so tomorrow I'll change that one. I just need like 1/8"-3/16" more4 of travel to make it shift. If that doesn't make it then bye bye Daytona....

NOOOOOO
Does the slave move enough? Could you just need a longer push rod?

LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
If you get everything running right, we will be leaving the 45th ST I-HOP off of I-95 at noon time Friday. Hope to see you there.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2005 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Today is a very sad day for me. After working my a$$ on this car trying to be ready it won't make it. I'm happy that my friend Lou was next to me all the time to avoid me from lighting it up on fire. Just out of frustration. We spent last two afternoons up to 9:00PM working on this. All, and I mean all hydraulic system went new except the line. It was needed anyway so I'm ok with that. Problem finally was related to pressure plate/TO bearing. At the end the TOB got stuck into the pressure plate to finish the night Yes I had a longer rod too. For some reason the combo didn't work. Later on (after a good long vacation) I'll drop the engine again and fix it with my clutch supplier. So tomorrow I'll take the yellow car to the car wash and that's the one driving to Daytona. Hope to see you all there
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post03-17-2005 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Don't feel bad join the club, I am glad you are experiencing this at least you can understand why some swaps are a pain there is no guarantee but stick it out .
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
This weekend I found out what was wrong with my clutch system. The clutch disk that I got is the wrong application. The center hub protrudes too much in the PP side and the release bearing was hitting it and not allowing the plate to release. At the end the fork went pass it and got stuck. I have many pics to post later but my PC has a VERY nasty virus so later on I'll document the whole thing. I think I have seen this problem on someone else’s car here.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
this is exactly what i was telling you about but you didn't want to listen.
Suufmeister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuufmeisterSend a Private Message to SuufmeisterDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad you were able to get to the root of the problem. Didn't you say you were gonna take some time off? Hehe, couldn't stay away for long huh? Must.....finish......swap. Can't wait to see your car in person.
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshua riedl:

this is exactly what i was telling you about but you didn't want to listen.

Sorry joshua but I did listen. But you didn't read. This problem is not with the Spec clutch. Look at the pics of it installed on page 6. It is fine. This problem is with another clutch manufacturer I'm using

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
sorry for jumping the gun, it's just more common than people want to realize with spec. i still think they make good clutches, everyone just needs to compare their new disk to the old one.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Finally have some time. Here is the clutch problem that I had. They sent me the wrong disk with the protrusion pointed;

It caused contact with the bearing as shown;

Causing this to it;

Here is a comparison of the wrong disk and the correct one (flat). Please check this out whenever you are installing a new disk to avoid this error

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Now the car is running good and shifting fine with the new tranny. The hydraulic system (all new) is working so well that the Rodney adjustable banjo is setup to almost full closed position. Otherwise I would bottom out the master

Here is the finished product that I couldn't get to Daytona. Will be there next year....

PS: I'll post better lighted pics soon to finish this thread.

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Nice touch on the intake.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Wasn't my idea but a good friend's one.
THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
Alex we have to get together one day!

Drive around on our V8 cars, maybe we can meet somewhere in Lake works downtown, City place?
My wife loves Fieros too, so she will be coming for sure!

Where did you get your exhaust done?

Gracias!
Jaime.

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post

THE BEAST

1177 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Ups typo?

I meant Lake Worth.

JG.

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Great to see every thing worked out for you. I am picking my car up as well.
I am leaving today at 4pm and staying in a hotell in downtown Miami and then going to pick my car up in the morning.

It's been a long road for both of us. If everything is good with mine I will probably go to the Pines Pontiac car show with clem on sunday.

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Hey let's plan for it. Last Sunday My wife, son and I went for a drive in both Fieros. It was nice and fun. I'll be traveling this weekend but let's try afterward. Cityplace or maybe in a park. Your V8 is running? My exhaust was done by me and a good friend with real welding skills
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black-Azz-GT:

Great to see every thing worked out for you. I am picking my car up as well.
I am leaving today at 4pm and staying in a hotell in downtown Miami and then going to pick my car up in the morning.

It's been a long road for both of us. If everything is good with mine I will probably go to the Pines Pontiac car show with clem on sunday.

Nice to hear that. Hope everything is well. That show is this Sunday? Damn! I'll miss it again

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Alex and Black-Azz-GT,

I'm really glad to hear you both got all the bugs worked out. I've got a new job that involves traveling perodically down the east coast then on to the keys. Once I get "settled" in the route, I need to drop you guys a call and see if we can arrange a evening meeting so I can check the new rides.

p.s. Alex - I love the "Fiero" brand on the distributor cover. Very sharp. As usual, you've done a masterful job.

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show @ Pontiac, Mich - 7/2003
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 8th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2004
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 9th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2005

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Roy. Will be glad to host you down here
I was going to take/post some more pics but I was sick and my camera bettery was dead. Hopefully today I may have a chance before my trip.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Ok. Here are the last pictures.
This is the cradle reinforcement;

Exhaust on the engine;

New rotors

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Finished engine from top and CAI;

Water hoses detail;

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Distributor cover (Lou built it not me ) and runners. Everything was powdercoated again in brighter red.

New redesigned TPS bracket. This is one of those things that can take you 2 hrs

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Final hoses details. K&N filter is inside qtr panel.

Well, this is the end. Thanks again to those that did a similar job before for me to inspire. This is my payback for new SBC owners to come. It was a LOT harder than I thought but the result and pride of doing it "right" makes me forget the sour times. Thanks a LOT to Lou for the huge help and knowledge he provided to me and more important for being there for moral support the many times I was ready to burn the thing on fire And if my wife ever read this, a huge thanks and kiss for being so patient (not always!) and let me spent all the hours away from her on this

1fastkingcab

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastkingcabSend a Private Message to 1fastkingcabDirect Link to This Post
Hello there, I was just wondering what you had to re-pin to go with the L98 ECM and the Fiero harness.

You got the PROM burning equipment to burn chips because why?
(A) your TPI is not stock
(B) stock L98 PROM won't work W/ firo harness (VATS?) or
(C) none of the above?

thanks for your time

[This message has been edited by 1fastkingcab (edited 06-08-2005).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
It really looks great...Congrats....Now it's time to enjoy it. Good luck.

Bob

lou

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2005 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for louSend a Private Message to louDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fastkingcab:

Hello there, I was just wondering what you had to re-pin to go with the L98 ECM and the Fiero harness.

(C) none of the above?

thanks for your time

I thought I would let you know that Alex is away on the HotRod power tour with his formula, I am sure he will answer you when he gets back.

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 06-08-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
1fastkingcab

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastkingcabSend a Private Message to 1fastkingcabDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou:

I thought I would let you know that Alex is away on the HotRod power tour with his formula, I am sure he will answer you when he gets back.

Oh, thanks.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2005 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fastkingcab:

(C) none of the above?

thanks for your time

I'm back All of tha above. I'm amaze that no one has ever asked me details about this considering it is so easy and cheap to fuel inject a V8 Fiero this way. At power tour I talked to the Painless guys and the new "Perfect" system for the TPI with the tunning ability (i.e. you can use bigger cams, etc.) will cost over $1000! Also I talked to another Fiero owner who used the normal Painless kit and he was not happy with it's quality (had several problems with its relays etc.).
Getting back on topic, for this setup you use the 1227165 ECM running the code for the 1227808 Australian ECM. This is because the 808 code is for speed denstity just like the Fiero/Camaro. Now the BIN files for the 808 code are for a 5.0L engine so you need to adjust it a little for a 5.7L engine or more if you have more mods (i.e. bigger cam, etc. like me). So that's why the PROM burning equipment is highly recommended. The repins are done in the Fiero harness ECM connector (two black ones conecting to the ECM).

MilleniumFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2005 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MilleniumFieroSend a Private Message to MilleniumFieroDirect Link to This Post
I dig the brakes!! Love it how it says Fiero on it. Got a picture of it with the rims on?

------------------
prowling the pacific...

87 GT - V8 - 5 Speed

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2005 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
No pics MilleniumFiero. Sorry.

Just wanted to update this thread with the dyno results for it to be complete. I'm very happy with the results: Max rear wheel (SAE) 236.3HP 343.4 TQ

1fastkingcab

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2005 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastkingcabSend a Private Message to 1fastkingcabDirect Link to This Post
Nice numbers!!
it has been nearly a month, I am going to pull my TPI out this weekend and get started on my TPI install this fall. So I have a few more questions.

1) where can I get a 1227808 Australian ECM ???
2) what is re-pined on the fiero engine harness? (two black ones???)
3) are the #7 & #8 injector plugs just spliced into the Fiero's O.E. #5 & #6 sockets or is there more to it? (TPI is batch fire?)
4) I have a stock 305 TPI out of a 86 IROC-Z (MAF) will the 1227808 Australian ECM still need a burn???

5) How is your tranny holding up?
6) I noticed that you ditched the SPEC stage 3 and went with another brand, why the switch?

one thing I have also noticed is that nearly everyone doing a SBC swap goes to a remote electric water pump in the rear fender well. I am strongly thinking about mounting mine up front near the radaitor. is there a reason it is tipicly mounted in the rear? I keep thinking that I have missed something.

Thanks for your time,
Tom D

------------------
1985 Fiero GT
L44 2.8L V6
M17 4-speed
1985 Camaro IROC-Z28
L98 5.7L TPI
+ _________________________
= :) ^ You can do the math ^ :)

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2005 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
It is interesting that after posting several times that this swap just requires simple changes and is cheap you are the first one to ask me some interesting questions. First of all you are in great luck with the 305 engine (5.0L). The stock programming in the 808 code is for a 305 so if you use it stock no change at all may be needed. Let me try to answer your questions.
1) The ECM to use is the 165 (US Camaro using MAF). The code to run on it is from the 808 ECM and it is available at several web sites (thirdgen.org has links)
2) On the two Fiero black connectors you add/change/delet about 6-7 pins. All this info is at thirdgen.org
3) Yes. One on each batch side. Just need to know which side (I need to remember this one)
4) Like I said above the 808 code is for a 305
5) I have 3000+ on the engine. Tranny is ok by now but I haven't driven it hard too many times.
6) I had a V6 clutch that after 30,000 was grabbing like hell. We installed it in another Fiero. It is the best clutch I ever had. I contacted the company for them to do a V8 clutch for me. The SPEC was used for about 500 miles and it chattered like hell. I may try it again later on.
You can mount the E-pump in the front. All it does is to pull water.
No VATS system on the 808 code. Also you decide to use or not the knock sensor. I'm not using it.
Hope this helps to start
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2005 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Very nice numbers from that style sbc. The intake really seems to bottleneck the motor in the upper rpm's. Cudos for getting it on a dyno and posting numbers!

I only have one suggestion, a short mandrel bent piece of pipe to replace yout current intake tube. Your engine will love you for it

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2005 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

Very nice numbers from that style sbc. The intake really seems to bottleneck the motor in the upper rpm's. Cudos for getting it on a dyno and posting numbers!

I only have one suggestion, a short mandrel bent piece of pipe to replace yout current intake tube. Your engine will love you for it

Thanks. I may do that intake pipe later but mainly for better looks. I don't think it will give me more than 2hp. The bottom were the filter connects is a 3" mandrel bent. The intake is a bottleneck like all TPIs but I love the look of those pipes. If I wanted big HP I would have used a carb and good manifold to get it but I like FI. Later on I plan to put some AFR heads and Accel or Edelbrock lower and runners to try to be closer to the 300RWHP. That should be more than fine for me and more than most of the Fieros out ther

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2005 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
For comparison, Scoggin-Dickey sells a TPI engine with Iron Vortec heads and the LT4 HOT Cam, and it gets

357 HP @ 4200 rpm
416 ft-lbs @ 4200 rpm

.525/.525 lift
218/228 dur. @ .050

You could try the Fast Burn aluminum heads with Scoggin-Dickey's Vortec TPI base plate and Edelbrock runners to get close to that, depending on your cam.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock