Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Who said this was easy? - My TPI-V8 swap :-) (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
Who said this was easy? - My TPI-V8 swap :-) by Alex4mula
Started on: 10-07-2004 03:36 PM
Replies: 283
Last post by: Alex4mula on 07-27-2005 03:26 PM
85LAMB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to say you are doing a great job documenting this, Please keep up the good work
IP: Logged
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks
Here are some details I forgot. The timing tab on this engine (probably all) will interfere with the belt and frame rail. So it needs to be eliminated. Another area is that lower water pump hole with the arrows. Archie's video explains very well what to do but basically you will need drill it, tap it and cap it. Sounds easy but if you have never done it before you will get nervous about it

Soon I'll come up with pictures of the finished powder coated intake

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
I have a question about something I've been thinking about lately with all the build up threads I've been seeing. If you're using an electric water pump and are tight on room, would it at all be possible to mount the electric waterpump up in front of the car, then just wire it up from there? Or wouldn't this work?

Matt

Also, very very nice build up, you are causing me to get motivated into looking for a V8.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. That will work too. The pump pushes (or sucks?) water from the engine to the radiator thru the passenger side pipe. You can mount it in the front using some "Y" pipes at the engine and at the front for connections. I have seen some for the block but I think they still wont fit my car. Here is a link to one of them (look for water header);
http://billygrahamracing.com/displayParts.asp?search_menu='Cooling%20Products'
87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

My timing tab had to go also. BZZZZZZZT!! Cut-off wheel made short work of it.

I was a bit nervous about drilling and tapping the weep hole, too. Two words for you: Thread sealant. Seriously, just take your time and drill and tap as straight as possible. Awesome thread by the way. Makes wish I could give you ++.

[This message has been edited by 87GTSleeper (edited 10-14-2004).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
For some reason I'm not showing a meter. Maybe too little feedback..
Ok. No some bling These are the things that take a lot of extra time and will delay you. But while you wait for parts to arrive by mail why not spent this time? Here are the runners and top intake prep for the powder coating.

You have to use heat tape and plug all threaded holes unless you want to re-tap them after;

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
And here are the results

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999

And here how it will look on the engine

C'ya later

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post

For some reason I'm not showing a meter. Maybe too little feedback..

there you go sir

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Cool! I'm near the green! I will behave
I have so much to post. Many pics that I still need to resize etc. Will not let you hanging
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
That looks damn good.
PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Alex,

Did you do the powder coating yourself? Those pieces look great. If you did, what equipment are you using?

Roy

JacobHaley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JacobHaleySend a Private Message to JacobHaleyDirect Link to This Post
Looking great Alex! I hope you don't bolt your manifold in that way though
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Hi Alex-----Will it be ready for
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JacobHaley:

Looking great Alex! I hope you don't bolt your manifold in that way though

What do you mean??

LT188GT; No it won't be ready But I plan to go to the POCI show in the other one.

Roy; It's not my equipment but we used a Harbor Freight gun and oven. Great products and very easy. Both are on sale right now. The gun is $59 and the oven I think $250 or $299. You can use an old home oven too. I may buy the gun and save it. Problem with oven is don't have space But this thing is addicting

seabee1678

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2004 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seabee1678Click Here to visit seabee1678's HomePageSend a Private Message to seabee1678Direct Link to This Post
The 90 to 92 camero ecm is still the best choise. Sure the Fiero ecm can be reprogramed to work . In 90 GM moved the electronic spark control from the engine compartment to ecm along with the knock sensor control wires. the 90 ecm has 3 connectors instead of 2. I have the wire plug if any one needs it. You can use the small HEI destributor so you can mount the coil some where other than on top of the destributor. Yes you can add 2 injector wires and reconfigure the wiring harness.Run the injector wires and all other wires down the center under the plentom so they do not show. With the 90 ecm the cold start injector was done away with.There are many more features the 90 ECM has .It is like compareing the 88 suspension to 87 and below. GM just made it better. .....seabee1678
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I will use the HEI (Fiero look alike) distributor. I'm still not completely sure which ECM I'll use.

Here is what was left to do for the lower water pump piping;

I found out this but soon to be corrected. Don't know how it happened. Anyway I was going to cut the T and use it.

And this is how it ended looking. I had to add a notch to reroute the heater hose a little bit lower. After two failed attempts, fifteen minutes at the hoses rack in Autozone found the right curved and reducer hose to mate from pump (bigger inlet) to the Fiero pipe. Now I only need to receive the 90° NPT to AN adapters (next week) to finish all the water plumbing. This puppy will be roaring soon

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 10-16-2004).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2004 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
Great pics dude!!! This thread really shows the details of the conversion. Pos rating from me!
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
<BUMP> Should not be on page three.

Roy

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
any progress?
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Yes there is progress. I will post more tonight
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Let's see what I have been doing. These block flange adapters were required for my remote pump mount. Not cheap at all but necessary. Also hard to find. Only Century Perormance got them;

I finally mounted the intake manifold. The fuel rail is just placed on. Wires will go below it. Here is how it looks;

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Before installing the manifold you need to install the oil sensor unit. Because I'm using the Fiero one I needed to get some adapters (all of it found at Home Depot) to get it right as shown below. The wire to this sensor needs to be lengthened.

And this is the little bracket I did for the MAP sensor. I think this wire was used at stock length;

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Because I'm using the stock Fiero harness it needs two extra injectors. I took mine and totally teared it down and redid the whole thing. This is the original one with two extra to be added. It is just a set of "Y"s that connect all injectors on each bank;

And this is how I redid it. You may get by just by adding the two injectors but at the end I decided to add length to some of them for easier fit;

Next time I'll add more detail about the other wires. Right now I'm very close to be done. I'm in the process of wiring the battery and E-pump to be ready for a first engine start. Then will come the nasty exhaust work....

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Cant wait to see it finished.
+ to you.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post

Ok. Let's see what I have been doing. These block flange adapters were required for my remote pump mount. Not cheap at all but necessary. Also hard to find. Only Century Perormance got them;

Hey, with those adapters, I'm guessing you don't need to do the mod to the block, as it seems to cover the hole as the stock pump would.

Kevin

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2004 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, those adapters are cool. Mine are male AN flanges and didn't cover the weep hole. I would have saved a lot on those expensive AN hose ends and fittings if I could have found those flanges you have. I also admire you for using the Fiero harness. That is one sweet swap.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Hey, with those adapters, I'm guessing you don't need to do the mod to the block, as it seems to cover the hole as the stock pump would.

Kevin

Maybe yes. But the covering area is small. I would plug it anyway just in case. You can find them on the link below. They also have the CC10 headers at a good price.
http://www.centuryperformance.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=MZE-WP81

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
The extra injector wires look great. What about the knock sensor? Did you find a way to eliminate it?

Roy

[This message has been edited by mrfixit58 (edited 10-27-2004).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I found a BIN that doesn't use it. I'll try that one first. I can easily add it later if I need to.
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
BUMP!!!
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I've been so busy at work that I haven't even had a chance to stop by and say...

GREAT WORK! and an excellent thread - keep up the great posts (you might actually motivate me to get started on my own TPI swap).

I'm definitely curious to find out how well your computer & wiring setup will work. I'm planning on attempting to use a stock TPI computer & wiring harnes (althought I've already had Darth reprogram the TPI chip to remove some of the unwanted stuff (like VSS, EGR, Passkey, etc).

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
mrfixit58 are you going to be doing an injected V8?
My setup is going to be staying carb for now but This thread ROCKS.

------------------
Jake
Red 1986 GT 5 Speed
Gold1986 SE 4 Speed
Visit my Fiero Page

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Wife is traveling with camera so I haven't been able to take more pictures. I'm currently finishing assembling the intake and all little details to finally put engine in and try firing it up. Wiring is in, fuel rail is in, runners are in and all water hoses are connected. I programmed the PROM but we still need to double check that the pinout changes at the connector are correct. By next week I expect to have the engine in and ready to start the exhaust which will be very interesting. By then I'll have the camera to show it all. So stay on the channel
rubyredfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroDirect Link to This Post
You cannot beat a well documented thread like yours. Although it takes hours to arrive at a final decision, you still take time out to digitize the results. Great details too. A well earned plus. Thank you.
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

mrfixit58 are you going to be doing an injected V8?
My setup is going to be staying carb for now but This thread ROCKS.

That's the plan. I have all the stuff to install a TPI set-up (except harness). Unfortunately, I have no idea WHEN I'll start the project .

Roy

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2004 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Bump, need some more inspiration.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2004 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Let's bring more inspiration Finally got my camera and we did a lot of work. I preped the engine to be finally mounted and start working on the exhaust. Well... now I'm much closer but still some issues to work out. All the clearance areas that I reworked did fine except one. This is the puppy that still won't clear the shock tower (this is the rear/trunk side water pump inlet)

That is how much that fitting will go in but I need at least 1/2" more or I will need to make a hole in the shock tower I will try to extend the threads deeper (tappered) and see if I can stick it in further into the flange adapter. If that doesn't work then I will need to make a small hole in the shock tower for it to clear. Will see this weekend.

So finally I installed the engine and this weekend I'll start hooking up all the wires. Below is how it looks. Later on when all is finished I'll post more detailed pictures. I think I detailed it too much for a daily driver

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2004 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Now let me show the progress of the exhaust work. I consider this one of the most complicated areas. Measure, measure, measure, cut, oops!, measure again, cut and weld. If you don't have good welding skills then forget it. This work of art (at least to me) is the work of my friend Lou After a LOT of debate and to avoid complications I decided not to use cats (sorry green people). These mufflers used are small and super shallow (+/- 3") so I was able to use one per side. This is the front (towards firewall) side. We still need to add a pipe that will cross underneath the engine;

Later on I'll post pics of it installed.
We added a flange so I could easily remove the rear unit in case of any service required in that area (starter, compressor, etc.)

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 11-05-2004).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2004 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
The rear unit (trunk side) was much simpler but still required some complex angles. This unit can be easily extracted as a whole piece if required. Do you like my "school bus" alike tip end???

Well, this is all for now. I decided to skip the FL Fantasy of Flight event to finish details during this weekend. Early next week hopefully this baby will be fired up for the fist time. Wish me luck!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock